• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 31 July - 6 August

Joe Molotov

king zell said:
Unconfirmed MediaCreate numbers:

PS2 25,727
360 1,025
PSP 40,720
DSL 171,917

Well, so much for the "If the PSP increases by 7,000 units every month, by September 2007, it'll be outselling the DS" theory. :lol

cvxfreak

Current Amazon.JP Top 10:

1. DS - Final Fantasy III
2. DS - Pokemon Diamond
3. DS - Pokemon Diamond w/ Diaruga Figurine
4. DS - Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Combo Set w/ Parukia and Diaruga Figurine

5. DS - DS Lite Opera Browser
6. GBA - Rhythm Tengoku
7. DS - Pokemon Pearl
8. PS2 - Melty Blood
9. PS2 - Summon Night 4
10. DS - DS Cuisine Navigator
12. DS - Pokemon Pearl w/ Parukia Figurine

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
cvxfreak said:

2. DS - Pokemon Diamond

6. GBA - Rhythm Tengoku
7. DS - Pokemon Pearl
8. PS2 - Melty Blood
9. PS2 - Summon Night 4

Pre-orders?

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
I said a few times before that NSMB will sell more than 100k and won't drop anytime soon but no one believed me. It can easilly sell more than 5m copies in Japan. I don't think whether anyone still doubting this?

Doogdogg

kia said:
I said a few times before that NSMB will sell more than 100k and won't drop anytime soon but no one believed me. It can easilly sell more than 5m copies in Japan. I don't think whether anyone still doubting this?

Could reach 5 million by years end at this arlarming rate.

Joe Molotov

cvxfreak said:

2. DS - Pokemon Diamond

6. GBA - Rhythm Tengoku
7. DS - Pokemon Pearl
8. PS2 - Melty Blood
9. PS2 - Summon Night 4

cvxfreak
HOLY ****ING CRAP
(Today, 01:02 AM)
Reply | Quote

PkunkFury

Tabris said:
Oh, and:

Proving my point once again. Same exact game. 2 platforms. 1 with 3x the userbase.

Yes its sad.

PSP owners have so few choices that they are stuck purchasing iteration 3298 of the Fist of the North Star Pachislot games, where as those 101 DS owners who didn't purchased thousands of copies of NSMB instead

ethelred

Tabris said:
Oh, and:

Proving my point once again. Same exact game. 2 platforms. 1 with 3x the userbase.

If it's the same exact game, why would anyone buy it on a system that is technically weaker but which compensates for the lowered technical specifications by providing unique features that are not being taken advantage of due to the two games being... yes, you guessed it, the same exact game?

Just sayin'.

Maybe you can't really prove the viability of third party sales on a platform by highlighting identical sub-20k sales for identical games, one of which was not designed for the system it's being released on! Maybe? You think, Tab?

Tabris said:
Oh, and:

Somehow I get the feeling the DS one would make more of a profit...

But frankly, the fact that a Fist of the North Star game sold better by 101 units on the PSP isn't exactly much to boast about.

ziran

nsmb sales are just amazing!

interestingly, there's a bit about it in the always entertaining 4cr podcast (15mins 45 secs in):
http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2006/08/14/4cr-podcast-0814/
vinnk talks about how japan is in the middle of a full mario and nintendo revival helped by nsmb. he says several years ago you could buy old famicom smb carts for under a dollar but not now they've risen to over $20 and stores can't keep them in stock.

nostalgia is huge and could really help wii with the virtual console alone. a smb vc pack could be a big selling point.

ethelred

Tabris said:
The PSP. And there, is where it can be considered competition. It'll get there eventually :)

Hah.

In all seriousness, though, I just wish it was something other than Gundam that was selling this well. I wish we could've seen sales like this for Monster Kingdom, or Brave Story -- or, even though a lot of critics have panned it, Loco Roco, as a reward for style and innovation.

Hopefully this little boomlet the PSP has going right now will last long enough to carry Jeanne d'Arc towards some nice sales... though, unfortunately, I doubt that's going to happen.

Tabris

ethelred said:
Hah.

In all seriousness, though, I just wish it was something other than Gundam that was selling this well. I wish we could've seen sales like this for Monster Kingdom, or Brave Story -- or, even though a lot of critics have panned it, Loco Roco, as a reward for style and innovation.

Hopefully this little boomlet the PSP has going right now will last long enough to carry Jeanne d'Arc towards some nice sales... though, unfortunately, I doubt that's going to happen.

Yeah, it's kinda like how Castlevania deserved better on the DS. JPN has bad tastes, almost as bad as NA/EU.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Tabris said:
The PSP. And there, is where it can be considered competition. It'll get there eventually :)
If it took this long to have a second week with software sales over 500K and even longer to finally get a title at #1 on the charts since launch, I don't see how PSP will ever get to the point where it is considered competition to the DS in Japan, unless the DS slows down tremendously from here on in (and with FFIII launching next week I don't see that happening either). The PSP might not be a failure, but it still is far from a level to compete with the DS over there and is at a point where it cannot catch up.

jesusraz

cvxfreak said:

2. DS - Pokemon Diamond

6. GBA - Rhythm Tengoku
7. DS - Pokemon Pearl
8. PS2 - Melty Blood
9. PS2 - Summon Night 4

That is just ridiculous...BUT, just think how well FFIII is going to do if it is currently above them all! :eek:

If Square Enix can get more stock out, anyone reckon we could be seeing a 600,000-700,000 first week? With Rune Factory scraping in at ~50,000 units?

soundwave05 said:
New Super Mario Bros. is still selling faster in North America than the other Mario Advance games on the GBA though, and those ended up in the 2-3 million range.

NSMB definitely will sell for a long time in North America.

10 million worldwide is possible I think.

Or more. It is likely that it will outselll Super Mario Land worldwide.

ethelred

jesusraz said:
That is just ridiculous...BUT, just think how well FFIII is going to do if it is currently above them all! :eek:

If Square Enix can get more stock out, anyone reckon we could be seeing a 600,000-700,000 first week? With Rune Factory scraping in at ~50,000 units?

I think that'd be beyond amazing for both, but I don't see it as feasible for either one of them. Unfortunately, I'm more expecting 50k LTD for Rune Factory -- forget that for first week. And I can't see FFIII launching anywhere near that high, even though I expect it to be quite a successful seller overall.

jesusraz

ethelred said:
I think that'd be beyond amazing for both, but I don't see it as feasible for either one of them. Unfortunately, I'm more expecting 50k LTD for Rune Factory -- forget that for first week. And I can't see FFIII launching anywhere near that high, even though I expect it to be quite a successful seller overall.

Fair enough, I AM being optimistic with Rune Factory, but the last HM DS title launched around the 35k mark, didn't it?

As for FFIII, it's being pushed so damn much that 500,000 units should be a walk in the park.

cvxfreak said:

2. DS - Pokemon Diamond

6. GBA - Rhythm Tengoku
7. DS - Pokemon Pearl
8. PS2 - Melty Blood
9. PS2 - Summon Night 4

Stra-Stragulp !!!!

DS at 170,000 and a huge upsurge in software. This in a week of no new releases for the system.

And Pokemon isn't out yet

In the interest of keeping Kia and Link to the Past and ethelred's tempers at bay, I will NOT mention how it makes little sense that the DS version of FOTNS did not outsell the PSP version, with no excuse as to why it did not sell more other than the 3rd party argument.

Nope I definitely won't mention that.

ANyways, those New Super Mario Bros. sales are AMAZING. There's nothing left to say about it. And btw, has there ever been a system that has sold over 130,000 for so many consecutive weeks? Shouldn't the DSLite hardware have slwoed down BY NOW? It truly is a phenomenon fueled by Brain Power, Animals (both talking ones and dogs), and none other than the phenomenon himself: Mario.

And Pokemon isn't out yet

Manjimaru

FotNS SE PSP 15,695
FotNS SE DS 15,594

Souvenirs Souvenirs :) :
Puyo Puyo Fever PSP 76, 507
Puyo Puyo Fever DS 74, 218

jesusraz

Manjimaru said:
FotNS SE PSP 15,695
FotNS SE DS 15,594

Souvenirs Souvenirs :) :
Puyo Puyo Fever PSP 76, 507
Puyo Puyo Fever DS 74, 218

But again, surely even tied like that, the DS software will be of more value overall due to development costs...

Bo130

duckroll said:
NSMB 119,991
Cooking 67,179

Amazing if true - both are up 20k+ from last week!

EDIT: Week 12 for NSMB? Close to being the best Week 12 ever, then, according to VGC.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
it's incredible that DS hardware and software sales are so good throughout the summer months. The results from 2006 are going to be the best year a console has ever seen in Japan - shortages in December are almost inevitable but I wouldn't be surprised if nearly 1m units are sold in a December week.

ziran said:
vinnk talks about how japan is in the middle of a full mario and nintendo revival helped by nsmb.

pretty interesting

Thomper

MrSardonic said:
it's incredible that DS hardware and software sales are so good throughout the summer months. The results from 2006 are going to be the best year a console has ever seen in Japan - shortages in December are almost inevitable but I wouldn't be surprised if nearly 1m units are sold in a December week.

pretty interesting
It couild be done. But there'll be shortages. They're producing 2.2 million Lites month or something like that. Sounds like a lot, but they're selling about 130.000-140.000 a week in Europe, 120.000 a week in America, and a 170.000 or something in Japan. That's over 420.000 Lite's sold every single week, which means they have almost none left every month. They'll have to drastically increase production if they want so sell more than they're doing right now. :lol

Thomper said:
It couild be done. But there'll be shortages. They're producing 2.2 million Lites month or something like that. Sounds like a lot, but they're selling about 130.000-140.000 a week in Europe, 120.000 a week in America, and a 170.000 or something in Japan. That's over 420.000 Lite's sold every single week, which means they have almost none left every month. They'll have to drastically increase production if they want so sell more than they're doing right now. :lol

What a great problem to have.

donny2112

LanceStern said:
In the interest of keeping Kia and Link to the Past and ethelred's tempers at bay, I will NOT mention how it makes little sense that the DS version of FOTNS did not outsell the PSP version, with no excuse as to why it did not sell more other than the 3rd party argument.

Nope I definitely won't mention that.

That's good. Thanks also for not bringing back up that silly notion that a game has to sell 300K to be successful, too. :)

Top Bottom