• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 31 July - 6 August

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Manjimaru said:
Media Create != Famitsu
I've find those numbers in the Famitsu TOP500 of 2005....
Famitsu number may be a little low lol

Yeah true. Still when they're that close, the fact that the're estimations makes the difference unimportant. Though the fact that the DS has such a larger sized player base is interesting. There are arguments both sides can use to their advantage.

So yeah. Sorry, I shoulda read the fact that one was famitsu and the other media create on the thread I pointed to.

Uhm, some more unconfirmed numbers... (I just translated the titles, duckroll can confirm if they are unconfirmed but from the same source or whatever....).

1 NDS Nintendo - New Super Mario Bros 119,991
2 NDS BandaiNamco - Tamagotchi no Puchi Puchi Omisetchi Gohiikini 68,347
3 PS2 Ecole - Melty Blood Act Cadenza 67,409
4 NDS Nintendo - Shaberu! DS Oryouri Nabi 67,179
5 NDS Nintendo - More Brain Training 66,930
6 PSP BandaiNamco - SD Gundam G Generation Portable 40,816
7 NDS Nintendo - Brain Training 35,636
8 PS2 Sega - Jissen Pachislot Hisshouhou! Hokuto no Ken SE 35,617
9 NDS Nintendo - Mario Basket 3 on 3 30,472
10 NDS Nintendo - Animal Crossing Wild World 29,256

PS2 Simple 2000 Series Vol. 104: The Violent Robot Fight 3070
NDS Er...1900DS 2929
NDS Puzzle Series Vol4 Kakuro 2276
NDS Er...1800DS 2127
NDS Kirasuta 1559
ウィンちゃん 1083
PSP Nanpure Oekaki 768

Ok..no more 1st week weird stuff...lets go with unconfirmed LTD...

PS2 Battle Stadium DON - 123487
NDS Tetris - 762938
PSP Derby Stallion P - 68351
PS2 Kamaitachi no Yoru x 3 - 141295
NDS Digimon - 161745
NDS Mushiking 2 - 49557
NDS TDK Kanji - 45913
もんP(ベスト)- 23150
PS2 Growlancer V Generations - 51471
PS2 True Crime - 40950

Then some weird LTD for Top20 I think (it doesn't match...)...but i'll wait for duckroll or someone else to say that my work wasn't in vain...:lol

ioi

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Uhm, some more unconfirmed numbers... (I just translated the titles, duckroll can confirm if they are unconfirmed but from the same source or whatever....).

1 NDS Nintendo - New Super Mario Bros 119,991
2 NDS BandaiNamco - Tamagotchi no Puchi Puchi Omisetchi Gohiikini 68,347
3 PS2 Ecole - Melty Blood Act Cadenza 67,409
4 NDS Nintendo - Shaberu! DS Oryouri Nabi 67,179
5 NDS Nintendo - More Brain Training 66,930
6 PSP BandaiNamco - SD Gundam G Generation Portable 40,816
7 NDS Nintendo - Brain Training 35,636
8 PS2 Sega - Jissen Pachislot Hisshouhou! Hokuto no Ken SE 35,617
9 NDS Nintendo - Mario Basket 3 on 3 30,472
10 NDS Nintendo - Animal Crossing Wild World 29,256

PS2 Simple 2000 Series Vol. 104: The Violent Robot Fight 3070
NDS Er...1900DS 2929
NDS Puzzle Series Vol4 Kakuro 2276
NDS Er...1800DS 2127
NDS Kirasuta 1559
ウィンちゃん 1083
PSP Nanpure Oekaki 768

Ok..no more 1st week weird stuff...lets go with unconfirmed LTD...

PS2 Battle Stadium DON - 123487
NDS Tetris - 762938
PSP Derby Stallion P - 68351
PS2 Kamaitachi no Yoru x 3 - 141295
NDS Digimon - 161745
NDS Mushiking 2 - 49557
NDS TDK Kanji - 45913
もんP(ベスト)- 23150
PS2 Growlancer V Generations - 51471
PS2 True Crime - 40950

Then some weird LTD for Top20 I think (it doesn't match...)...but i'll wait for duckroll or someone else to say that my work wasn't in vain...:lol

I'm finding your LTDs a little hard to fathom, they would mean large increases this week for True Crime, Kamaitachi, Derby Stallion etc- all about 1.5 times what they did last week

Also, does someone fancy translating last weeks 31-50?

Tabris

jesusraz said:
But again, surely even tied like that, the DS software will be of more value overall due to development costs...

It also sells for cheaper, so it's all relative.

It also has 3x the userbase too.

That's like releasing a game on Gamecube and Playstation2 and having it sell better on Gamecube.

jarrod

Banned
Manjimaru said:
Media Create != Famitsu
I've find those numbers in the Famitsu TOP500 of 2005....
Famitsu number may be a little low lol
As of March 2005, Famitsu had Puyo DS around 70k and Puyo PSP around 25k though... it was actually one of the early arguments for multiplatform games selling better on DS (back when the install bases were basically even to boot). I remember seeing those Puyo top 500 figures and remarking how suspect they were... I'm guessing the PSP Puyo figures include it's "Best" rerelease? Otherwise I'm not sure how it moved 50k in the year following while the DS release moved nothing?

jarrod

Banned
Tabris said:
That's like releasing a game on Gamecube and Playstation2 and having it sell better on Gamecube.
Er... but that's happened before too. And that's a 6 to 1 userbase difference even, twice as much as DS vs PSP. :/

jesusraz said:
With Rune Factory scraping in at ~50,000 units?

If we look at amazon chart it should have a first week better than Mario Basket, it's more than a week Rune Factory is always on top25, meanwhile MB just came in latest days.
Of course amazon chart could mean nothing, just depend how much is first shipment.

jarrod

Banned
Just because Innocnet Life tanked, that doesn't mean Rune Factory's going to. Bokujou Monogotari proper tanked on PSP too, while both DS releases moved 100k+.

ioi

Banned
jarrod said:
Star Fox sold reasonably well before lifetime...

Star Fox 64 (N64) 650.000
Star Fox Adventures (GC) 230.000
Star Fox Assault (GC) 200.000

...I bet Command can crawl to 100k anyway. Hunters isn't selling any better actually, they're about on par.

The SNES version actually did 800k in Japan, and it was 640k for the N64 version.

Also to whoever commented about NSMB's 12th week, it has actually posted the biggest on record:

http://vgcharts.org/japwk.php?week=12

Which is an immense achievement, and is still nearly a million ahead of BT2 and AC in the same timeframe.

Talking about those two titles, BT2 will pass AC next week according to my numbers, and is closing in quickly on the likes of DQ VIII and FF VIII.

http://vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=Brain+Training+2&name2=Animal+Crossing%3A+Wild+World
http://vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=Brain+Training+2&name2=Final+Fantasy+VIII

i actually think BT2 could reach nearly 5m by the end of the year, and stay ahead of Pokemon R/B/G in the same timeframe. I think it'll start to lose steam by then and possibly "only" reach 6m (making it the 4th biggest game of all time in Japan) and ultimately lose the fight to Pokemon (10.23m).

http://vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=Brain+Training+2&name2=Pokemon+Red+%2F+Green+%2F+Blue

fresquito

Tabris said:
It also sells for cheaper, so it's all relative.

It also has 3x the userbase too.

I see your pride because PSP is outdoing DS when it comes to selling pachinko based games. Too bad DS is beating to a pulp PSP in everything else.

ioi

Banned
Bud said:
inflated sales ftl

Today, Nintendo proudly announced that its DS game, Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day, has sold more than 4 million copies worldwide. 3 million copies of the unique brain exercising game were sold in Japan alone.
vs
(DS, Nintendo) Brain Age - 32,419 / 2,616,839
Plus around 32k last week

or

According to Japan's Hochi Shimbun online edition, Nintendo has, as of 5/8, shipped three million copies of Animal Crossing: Wild World to Japan.
vs
Media Create Software Sales: 1 - 7 May
Animal Crossing: Wild World - 83,564 / 2,645,481

I believe that although some will claim that this is purely a shipped / sold argument, Media Create are tracking too low for these games, Brain Training especially.

ioi

Banned
Yoshi said:
Do you know if this is true for Media Create's numbers, too?

Media Create Number for NSMB week 12: 119,991

Famitsu Number for Pokemon G/S week 12: 98,055
Media Create Number for Pokemon G/S week 12: 145,038

So make what you want from that :D

Rock_Man said:
Is NSMB the first game ever to sell >100k for 12 consecutive weeks? I think so actually. (Famitsu numbers).

Well Pokemon G/S did for the first 13 weeks (MC) 11 weeks (Famitsu) 12 weeks (VG Charts) so it would be a draw as far as the FIRST 12 weeks. For CONSECUTIVE weeks, Pokemon R/B/G did 100k for 12 weeks also, but would have been much more if it didn't dip below and back up again.

If it does another 100k next week then it will definitely be the game with the most consecutive weeks over 100k.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
ioi said:
Media Create Number for NSMB week 12: 119,991

Famitsu Number for Pokemon G/S week 12: 98,055
Media Create Number for Pokemon G/S week 12: 145,038

So make what you want from that :D
Wow, very big difference there. So it's hard to tell whether it's the best 12th week. Thank you.

According to Media Create Mario has NOT been >100k for 12 weeks, look at last week ;).

fresquito

ioi said:
I believe that although some will claim that this is purely a shipped / sold argument, Media Create are tracking too low for these games, Brain Training especially.
I remember Iwata said (before the game was released) they´d try to sell BT not only in your regular game stores... since I don´t live in Japan I don´t know if that´s the case. This might be what´s happening. Just a wild guess...

Rock_Man

Yoshi said:
Wow, very big difference there. So it's hard to tell whether it's the best 12th week. Thank you.

According to Media Create Mario has NOT been >100k for 12 weeks, look at last week ;).

No, but it sold 103,008 that week according to Famitsu. :)

ioi

Banned
fresquito said:
I remember Iwata said (before the game was released) they´d try to sell BT not only in your regular game stores... since I don´t live in Japan I don´t know if that´s the case. This might be what´s happening. Just a wild guess...

I agree, which is why my BT sales are adjusted up about 8%.

Right from the start there has seemed to be a large difference:

November 9, 2005 - No one can deny that Nintendo is doing its part to make the Japanese smarter, and keep its investors happy in the process. Reports from Japan reveal that the company has managed to ship a million copies of Nou wo Kitaeru: Otona no DS Training to Japanese retailers.

Media Create Software Sales: 31 Oct - 6 Nov 2005
Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training 19,598 / 720,223

Rock_Man said:
No, but it sold 103,008 that week according to Famitsu. :)

Which is why the smart money is on averaging the two ;-) (and maybe scaling up a bit if experience has shown that other DS titles (Wario Ware, MKDS, SM64 DS) have been under-tracked by MC / Fam by around 3-4%).

CoolTrick

Banned
I agree, which is why my BT sales are adjusted up about 8%.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I love how you magically managed to pull that figure straight out of your ass. Please, tell me, can you give me a five paragraph explanation as to why BT being sold in other stores than game stores warrants an 8% inflation?

ioi

Banned
CoolTrick said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I love how you magically managed to pull that figure straight out of your ass. Please, tell me, can you give me a five paragraph explanation as to why BT being sold in other stores than game stores warrants an 8% inflation?

No, but I can tell you why comparing shipped to sold figures, versus the same comparisons for other 'non-non-game' DS titles that the 8% is the figure I arrive at.

There is definitely a LARGER discrepancy between the Training titles shipped and sold figures and the other DS titles. It works out to around 4% for the 'normal' titles and around 8-9% for the Training titles depending on the game.

It's just number crunching and so forth. I don't claim to have any physical reasoning behind why this is the case, just that it seems to be and that it works. Also comparing Famitsu and MC can shed some more light on certain things.

CoolTrick

Banned
There is definitely a LARGER discrepancy between the Training titles shipped and sold figures and the other DS titles. It works out to around 4% for the 'normal' titles and around 8-9% for the Training titles depending on the game.

:lol I'd love to hear the page long explanation! Really!

It's just number crunching and so forth. I don't claim to have any physical reasoning behind why this is the case, just that it seems to be.

:lol People that take you seriously because of the sheer effort are really foolish, imo.

Manjimaru

ioi said:
I believe that although some will claim that this is purely a shipped / sold argument
:lol

Well, I've found something very interesting while I was searching for the first week sales of Tengai Makyô The Apocalypse 4 (PSP):
http://www.f-ism.net/piccolo/f-ismPiccoloSample.pdf
It includes the famitsu TOP50 for the week 07/10-07/16 and different stats :)

Those numbers clearly show that you have inflated numbers:
ex:
on vgcharts: Animal Crossing: Wild World 07/15/06 27,500 3,181,000
on famitsu: Animal Crossing: Wild World 07/15/06 17,968 2,988,265
Also, famitsu have shipment numbers: 3,037,940 and it's really funny to see that your numbers are > shipment :lol

It's just an example, you can see the same with we10....

ioi

Banned
CoolTrick said:
:lol I'd love to hear the page long explanation! Really!

:lol People that take you seriously because of the sheer effort are really foolish, imo.

Eh? What are you talking about?

ioi

Banned
Manjimaru said:

Well, I've found something very interesting while I was searching for the first week sales of Tengai Makyô The Apocalypse 4 (PSP):
http://www.f-ism.net/piccolo/f-ismPiccoloSample.pdf
It includes the famitsu TOP50 for the week 07/10-07/16 and different stats :)

ex:
Also, famitsu have shipment numbers: 3,037,940 and it's really funny to see that your numbers are > shipment :lol

I haven't checked out your numbers yet but my initial comment is how do Famitsu have shipped numbers??

CoolTrick

Banned
Also, famitsu have shipment numbers: 3,037,940 and it's really funny to see that your numbers are > shipment

Another media-create thread turned into a debate about ioi's numbers yet again. *yawn*

That's because he keeps spamming the thread with his links.

I haven't checked out your numbers yet but my initial comment is how do Famitsu have shipped numbers??

How do YOU have shipped numbers?

ethelred

ioi said:

Perhaps because as a legitimate gaming news source -- the biggest in the entire industry in Japan, in fact -- they get access to such information. Iunno!

ioi

Banned
CoolTrick said:
How do YOU have shipped numbers?

From Nintendo. Famitsu's "shipped" numbers are just from surveying the retailiers, riddled with just the same errors as their sold data. If anything it supports my point that shipped data is rarely more than 50-100k higher than sold data, meaning that the discrepancies of 300-400k we are seeing are unrealistic.

CoolTrick

Banned
From Nintendo. Famitsu's "shipped" numbers are just from surveying the retailiers, riddled with just the same errors as their sold data

Oh excuse me! Yes Mr. Be All End All Authority on this manner!

Besides, there's so many things ridiculous about that quote I don't even know where to start.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
CoolTrick said:
That's because he keeps spamming the thread with his links.
He's posting only one post in which he links to his graphs, if you don't like his numbers just ignore this one posting and everyone's happy...

ioi

Banned
CoolTrick said:
Oh excuse me! Yes Mr. Be All End All Authority on this manner!

Besides, there's so many things ridiculous about that quote I don't even know where to start.

Try.

Famitsu shipped numbers are ESTIMATED shipped numbers from retailiers, from the proportion of retailers they survey and how many copies they have recieved and sold. Just like their sold numbers. The ACTUAL shipped numbers come via the publishers who know how many copies of the game they have made / shipped.

This is obvious since both MC and Famitsu give their 'sell through %' numbers from time to time, and working backwards the shipped figure is different for both.

So basically this is as much of an estimate as the sold data, any discrepancies caused due to how Famitsu arrive at their final data from their sampled data will be there in both cases.

Ok?

Fularu

Banned
Manjimaru said:
ex:

Are you truly suggesting that only 50k units of AC are in the retail channel in japan? That the sell through is 99.5%? That sounds *hard* to believe. For a game doing 30k on average every week, you'd need (at least) 3 times that in the retail channel so that people can even find the game... Remember that it's not a new release, Nintendo is not producing/shipping the game every single week, retailers are ordering large quatities at any given time because the game STILL sells tremendously well. Which makes me question that highly doubtfull shipped figure.

CoolTrick

Banned
He's posting only one post in which he links to his graphs, if you don't like his numbers just ignore this one posting and everyone's happy...

I think people can admit that ioi and his little vgcharts.org are more than a single one-post presence in these threads.

ioi

Banned
Fularu said:
Are you truly suggesting that only 50k units of AC are in the retail channel in japan? That the sell through is 99.5%? That sounds *hard* to believe. For a game doing 30k on average every week, you'd need (at least) 3 times that in the retail channel so that people can even find the game... Remember that it's not a new release, Nintendo is not producing/shipping the game every single week, retailers are ordering large quatities at any given time because the game STILL sells tremendously well. Which makes me question that highly doubtfull shipped figure.

Actually, I think that is about right, and it's the whole basis for my arguments and adjustments on vgcharts. That the copies in the retail channel are actually quite small, and shipped ~ sold in most cases, especially for games 5+ weeks down the line. I think this works because Nintendo do seem to ship copies every week and seem very efficient in doing so, the 170k a week sales of DSL while it is still supposedly sold out also supports this.

ioi

Banned
Fularu said:
Nintendo is not shipping 45k units each week, that defies any sensible inventory management and processing...

Well again, that is not my area, but what I can say is that is what they *seem* to be doing from the data.

CoolTrick

Banned
Nintendo is not shipping 45k units each week, that defies any sensible inventory management and processing...

Actually, I think that is about right, and it's the whole basis for my arguments and adjustments on vgcharts.

:lol Does anything more need to be said?

Seriously, GAF does this all the time. Throw out some numbers you can't confirm, and we'll lap it up.

This must be stopped. :lol

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
CoolTrick said:
:lol Does anything more need to be said?

Seriously, GAF does this all the time. Throw out some numbers you can't confirm, and we'll lap it up.

This must be stopped. :lol

just let ioi do whatever the hell he wants and leave it alone, okay? his numbers aren't much more inaccurate than media create/famitsu/npd etc etc. they all extrapolate extra numbers out of nothing.

Jokeropia

CoolTrick said:
What the hell is wrong with you? In this case [Brain Training] you CANNOT complain about ioi's numbers because we got a confirmation of them FROM NINTENDO THEMSELVES.
Today, Nintendo proudly announced that its DS game, Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day, has sold more than 4 million copies worldwide. 3 million copies of the unique brain exercising game were sold in Japan alone.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Every ****ing week we have this ridiculous cooltrick & co comments about ioi's site and his posts. If you don't like his posts simply ignore them. I don't know why mods let this shit repeats every week. There ARE people who like his graphs and comparing charts, if you aren't one of them, simply put him to your ignore list.

ethelred

davepoobond said:
just let ioi do whatever the hell he wants and leave it alone, okay? his numbers aren't much more inaccurate than media create/famitsu/npd etc etc. they all extrapolate extra numbers out of nothing.

No, just... no. ioi does not have access to all the data and surveying tools or manufacturer & retailer information or trending data that Media Create, Famitsu, and NPD have, nor does he use a legitimate, consistent method for creating his final numbers.

I really, seriously am not bothered by the work that ioi does and I'm happy to take his numbers when I just want some kind of rough estimate on something, but it's simply not accurate at all to say that his process, or final numbers, have the same legitimacy as those from the professional tracking firms. The simple fact that he generally uses their numbers as a starting point should, in itself, be enough to highlight this.

Top Bottom