• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/9 - 4/15

Kafel

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
All of this is a lot to take in as a Nintendo fan. How did they go from being the company everyone kicked around to a potential market leader?

It's almost like Bruce Wayne when he got his ass kicked by that mobster dude; but went to China and became Batman, then he came back and kicked everyone's asses.

Wow.

I do believe that Nintendo produces Wiis in China, just for you to know.

test_account

XP-39C²
jj984jj said:
You need to look at sources, those are VGC numbers.

I know, but i dont know that site too well so i have no idea if its reliable or not. And what i quoted was from Maxconsole.net, thats why i said i got them from there ;)

Kafel said:
Well, I would also launch the theory that the mass market now see the PS3 and X360 as "old" ( I know it's shocking but it's certainly makes sense ) compared to the Wii, thanks partly to the hype of Nintendo's system ... but it's too early for that.

Well, I could certainly see how they would look at the games for the 360 and PS3 and not really understand what's so "new" about them. It's kind of the battle that all formats have been waging: the mass market generally doesn't care about fidelity.

DVD-Audio and other high-quality audio formats were supposed to be the new CD. Nope. People were happy with their CDs. Heck, now they're listening to highly compressed audio from iTunes. The reason why CDs took off in the first place was because it was a clear leap in functionality: No rewinding, skip to any track you want to listen to, repeat songs.

The video market is going through this now as well. HD-DVD and BluRay are fighting to become the dominate disc-based video format, but by all sales figures thus far, they haven't even begun to make a dent on DVDs. Just like audio, people are even content with watching highly compressed video from iTunes and other places. Again, it's not about fidelity, it's about functionality. No rewinding, skip to any scene you want, extra features.

And here we are with the video game market. We have two platforms that are primarily concerned with increasing the visual fidelity over the previous generation. And then we have one platform that is more concerned with changing how games are interacted with, the functionality, so to speak.

With that said, it seems quite surprising that a lot of people are amazed at Nintendo's success. They decided to not play the hardware numbers game because, for the most part, the mass market could care less about that.

Krowley

Eteric Rice said:
All of this is a lot to take in as a Nintendo fan. How did they go from being the company everyone kicked around to a potential market leader?

It's almost like Bruce Wayne when he got his ass kicked by that mobster dude; but went to China and became Batman, then he came back and kicked everyone's asses.

Wow.

Well IMO there are a couple of lessons here.

1. Each generation has very little resemblance to the previous generation

2. Brand strength is a very weak advantage.

People quickly readjust to a new console cycle.. The consumer is smart enough to figure out that it's a whole new ballgame each time. Only a small number of the overall game buying public has a loyalty to a particular console brand. If a company want's to keep it's audience base from the last system, they need to make sure the new system has all the same quality's.

I think microsoft has managed to do that... The 360 is an appealing system for you're average xbox consumer, and it's probably grown the brand too although not as much as MS would have hoped. The wii definitly appeals to the GC audience but it also draws in a much larger group of people. The ps3 has failed to excite the ps2 audience so far because if they were buying it, it would be far ahead of everybody.

I also think that between the big 3, sony probably has the most disloyal fans because the don't have a halo or a mario or a zelda.. They've been very dependent on 3rd party support. People buy sony consoles for Square RPG's, metal gear, DMC, GTA and those fans will follow those franchises werever they go. MS know's that halo is always going to be an xbox franchise and Nintendo knows that zelda is always going to be on their next console. There is a measure of saftey in that.

Wiitard

Banned
Krowley said:
I also think that between the big 3, sony probably has the most disloyal fans because the don't have a halo or a mario or a zelda.. They've been very dependent on 3rd party support. People buy sony consoles for Square RPG's, metal gear, DMC, GTA and those fans will follow those franchises werever they go. MS know's that halo is always going to be an xbox franchise and Nintendo knows that zelda is always going to be on their next console. There is a measure of saftey in that.

In their defense, anybody who wins a generation will have similar disloyalty problems.

Krowley said:
...The ps3 has failed to excite the ps2 audience so far because if they were buying it, it would be far ahead of everybody.

This is a good point. For the people purchasing PS2s in the last several years, it was very much a budget system -- just over US$100 -- that could be fueled with an endless variety of budget, $20 games. That's a totally different profile than $600 + $60/game. What's more -- let's face it -- many of the people who purchased PS2s soon after their introduction probably haven't touched their PS2s in a long time. My guess is there's a substantial attrition rate as people move along with their lives.

For Sony, PS2 success means little to nothing for how they'll fare with the PS3. It's a new world for them, and apparently a pretty grim one at that.

Krowley

Wiitard said:
In their defense, anybody who wins a generation will have similar disloyalty problems.

Well I think that even if sony loses this gen, they're going to go out of their way trying to establish some strong first party franchises. They already have some decent stuff, but nothing other than gran tursimo that's truly powerhouse. They seem to be focusing on building brands like god of war and making new stuff.

In a long-term sense, it's a good strategy for them. I'm running the ms library through my head and I think MS only has halo... But halo is obviously huge and has the power to sell consoles. Nintendo has the biggest advantage in this area and they always have.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
birdchili said:
heh. welcome back.

has your absence provided you with deep insights into the japanese market? quiet time to ponder? the gaining of wisdom?

DS-from-heaven.jpg

Farmboy

birdchili said:
heh. welcome back.

has your absence provided you with deep insights into the japanese market? quiet time to ponder? the gaining of wisdom?

And the age-old question: will you again use the phrase "I'm bullish on Wii sales" without the slightest hint of irony?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Farmboy said:
And the age-old question: will you again use the phrase "I'm bullish on Wii sales" without the slightest hint of irony?

I'm not sure what you want me to respond with.

If you want the funny, press [1].
If you want the analyst, press [2].

Deku

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
ToT sold 200k and its a big bomba, because that was the first shipment, and shops only could get rid of it after putting it on bargain bin. It happened to WE DS, Heroes of Mana, Dawn of Mana and many others.

In that case a lot of games that sold decently would have to be revised as well on all platforms.

Comparing Wii, PS3, PS2, and GC from the day they launched till now Blows my Mind.

The Wii is insanely ahead of the PS2 at this same point in it's life, and the PS2 had no competition then. I really don't understand how people think this momentum is just going to flat line.

Shin Johnpv said:
The Wii is insanely ahead of the PS2 at this same point in it's life, and the PS2 had no competition then. I really don't understand how people think this momentum is just going to flat line.

They don't THINK it will flatline. They HOPE it will flatline. Key distinction.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Shin Johnpv said:
Comparing Wii, PS3, PS2, and GC from the day they launched till now Blows my Mind.

Damn... were initial GC sales that shitty? You still have naysayers stating that 'GC sold great at first too!'. Guess that little argument falls flat.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
PantherLotus said:
I'm not sure what you want me to respond with.

If you want the funny, press [1].
If you want the analyst, press [2].
[1]
[2]
Yay panther, welcome back

Jokeropia

test_account said:
I know, but i dont know that site too well so i have no idea if its reliable or not. And what i quoted was from Maxconsole.net, thats why i said i got them from there ;)
VGCharts numbers posted before the official MC numbers are ioi's guesses based on early Famitsu data. He'll likely adjust them when the MC numbers are released.
Shin Johnpv said:

Those PS2 and GC numbers aren't for the correct time period. Available Media Create data only goes back to 2002-12-30 so the PS2 and GC charts start there instead of their respective launches. If you wanna compare the four systems in question from launch you can use Famitsu numbers.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Jokeropia said:
VGCharts numbers posted before the official MC numbers are ioi's guesses based on early Famitsu data. He'll likely adjust them when the MC numbers are released.Those PS2 and GC numbers aren't for the correct time period. Available Media Create data only goes back to 2002-12-30 so the PS2 and GC charts start there instead of their respective launches. If you wanna compare the four systems in question from launch you can use Famitsu numbers.

Hmm. Wow. PS3 bomba total.

And if the Wii just had one nice big shipment, it'd pull ahead of the PS2.

ahhhhhh Damn you Media Create!

Still it's impressive that it's tracking right along side the PS2 while the GC is kicking the PS3's ass. :lol

I wonder when PS2s where first spotted sitting on store shelves. Is it possible that Nintendo is hurting themselves by not being able (right now) to crank out more Wiis? :)

richman555 said:
I wonder when PS2s where first spotted sitting on store shelves. Is it possible that Nintendo is hurting themselves by not being able (right now) to crank out more Wiis? :)

They upped production as of this month. I don't think we'll ever know the concrete answer to this question, simply because we'll have no facts to back it up.

The only thing I can say is that the PS2 was also similarly scarce during its first few months, and it didn't even have a worldwide launch. Clearly, that didn't hurt Sony at all.

richman555 said:

Depends.

If Nintendo's goal is to sell every Wii theoretically possible, then they very well are hurting themselves by not meeting immediate demand.

If Nintendo's goal is maximize profit, then they can't sell every Wii theoretically possible, as that would most likely mean overshipping to some degree.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
ghostlyjoe said:
Depends.

If Nintendo's goal is to sell every Wii theoretically possible, then they very well are hurting themselves by not meeting immediate demand.

If Nintendo's goal is maximize profit, then they can't sell every Wii theoretically possible, as that would most likely mean overshipping to some degree.

Perhaps profit is dependent on demand?
(artificial or otherwise)

Deku

Banned
ghostlyjoe said:
Depends.

Neither of this is true. They sold every piece they manufactured and then some and are now in the process of looking for a new manufacturing partner to increase supply

nextgenbiz said:
March 28 In order to meet demand for Wii, which presently far outstrips supply, Nintendo intends to find another manufacturer to bolster production of the console, currently being handled solely by Foxconn Precision Components (FPC). New manufacturing partners under consideration include Asustek Computer, Compal Electronics, Inventec and Wistron, which are all eager to land a contract with the Japanese firm.

If you may recall both Sony and Nintendo announced the same shipment targets for Fiscal year ending March 31 2007 of 6 million units, and only Nintendo has met/exceed those forecasts. And 6 million was originally seen as very bullish for both companies but people assumed PS3 would have no trouble selling that many because it was heir apparent.

alejob

Well if you ask me it can only hurt Nintendo to not have enough consoles. What if someone want one now but cant find it, and then they change their mind when it becomes available?

Simple logic. They should try and sell all they can.

Do we have number this week? What's the golden week thing?

TJ Spyke

Smiles and Cries said:
Oh I thought Bruce went to Tibet?

they need to open even more factories, China is a big place.
Tibet is part of China (the same way Guam is part of the United States or Bermuda is part of the United Kingdom).

Deku

Banned
DeadyFernGarden said:
Didn't Nintendo halt production of the gamecube to try and increase production which led to crazy shortages?

They made too many and there wasn't the demand for so and had an oversupply. Kinda like... oh it's too easy.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
skinnyrattler said:
Jesus, did they let another 1000 juniors in again? WTF?

Welcome back. I think someone stole your computer and was posting your charts. Some bastard...
PL actually paid for it to be posted here every week. Simply pathetic.

Ahaha, it is nice in a way to become less necessary to a thread. One person asks for a comparison, another shows how it can be done. One person makes an easy mistake, another corrects.
DeadyFernGarden said:
Didn't Nintendo halt production of the gamecube to try and increase production which led to crazy shortages?
Well, they didn't halt production to increase production, but because they simply had enough. However, it did come back to bite them a bit when GCN demand spiked holiday 2003 with the $99 price and Zelda collection disc and supply was a bit short.

alejob said:
Well if you ask me it can only hurt Nintendo to not have enough consoles. What if someone want one now but cant find it, and then they change their mind when it becomes available?

Simple logic. They should try and sell all they can.

Do we have number this week? What's the golden week thing?
I think the fact that people are still lining up in April tells us that the Wii is compelling enough. People really want it bad.

Top Bottom