• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/7 - 5/13, PS3 < 10k

Eteric Rice said:
No, someone said something about FFIII and IV remakes on the PSP, and I commented on the fact that the I and II remakes on the PSP sort of look like something from RPG maker.

(RPG Maker)

rmxppic1.png

(FFI PSP)

final-fantasy-20070417002515687.jpg
RPGMaker has a nicer font.

Eteric Rice

davepoobond said:
i've actually worked with RPG Maker 2000 back in the day

i can say that FF1 PSP is a lot more fun, not to mention the sprites are a lot better looking than most of the things you'll ever find in that stupid inflexible program

Indeed, I was mostly joking. But there are similarities. :D It was the first thing peope pointed out when SE released screenshots of it. :lol

RPGMaker has a nicer font.

:lol

I really should have seen that coming.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Eteric Rice said:
Indeed, I was mostly joking. But there are similarities. :D It was the first thing peope pointed out when SE released screenshots of it. :lol

its cause the ****ing program was a rip off of FF games to begin with :p

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
nextgeneration said:
Anyone have numbers for the week after Golden Week from last year?

This is in the first post, but I'll keep doing it until someone tells me to stop.

Last year:

1. (PS2, Namco) Jikkyou Powerful Major League - 89,536 NEW
2. (DS, Nintendo) Tetris DS - 69,673 (447,920)
3. (DS, Nintendo) More Brain Training - 55,043 (2,219,298)
4. (PS2, Konami) World Soccer Winning Eleven 10 - 50,568 (611,978)
5. (DS, Nintendo) Brain Training - 38,090 (2,174,947)
6. (DS, Nintendo) Animal Crossing: Wild World - 30,536 (2,676,017)
7. (DS, Nintendo) English Training DS - 27,681 (1,026,024)
8. (DS, Nintendo) Pokemon Ranger: The Road to Diamond & Pearl - 17,072 (513,906)
9. (PS2, Square Enix) Dragon Quest Shonen Yangus & Fushigi no Dungeon - 15,458 (230,695)
10. (GBA, Nintendo) Mother 3 - 13,703 (305,131)

DSL 91,895
PSP 27,127
PS2 21,138
GBASP 6,317
DS 3,438
GBM 2,628
Xbox360 1,355
GC 1,069
GBA 40
Xbox 36

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101442

ethelred

Since I posted this last week, I figured I'd do a followup.

1st week / 2nd week / 3rd week / LTD:
Code:
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance			GBA  225,210  	66,392  29,729  441,926
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings		NDS  274,004  	109,326	38,003  421,333

And for Super Paper Mario (now in week 4):

Code:
Paper Mario		N64 	118,322 	55,725 	36,754 	425,609
Paper Mario 2		GCN 	137,750 	59,427 	40,907 	409,600
Super Paper Mario	WII 	144,192 	75,839 	90,151 	330,851

ethelred said:
Since I posted this last week, I figured I'd do a followup.

1st week / 2nd week / 3rd week / LTD:
Code:
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance			GBA  225,210  	66,392  29,729  441,926
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings		NDS  274,004  	109,326	38,003  421,333

And for Super Paper Mario (now in week 4):

Code:
Paper Mario		N64 	118,322 	55,725 	36,754 	425,609
Paper Mario 2		GCN 	137,750 	59,427 	40,907 	409,600
Super Paper Mario	WII 	144,192 	75,839 	90,151 	330,851

Do you have 4th week numbers for the other Paper Marios? Or know where they´re available?

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
I'm glad to see Super Paper Mario has legs of it's own so far.

Although I guess Mediacreate AND Famitsu forgot about Iwata's message about only Nintendo platform games being allowed in the top 20, I guess they won't get a payoff this week. ;)

ethelred

PantherLotus said:
Looks pretty consistent to me. Had you drawn any conclusions from this or were you just posting it?

I tend to make a deliberate effort not to put any thought into anything I post on this forum.

Good to see that FFT did well, hopefully it'll have pretty good legs on it (though I'm sad that it had to be the game to ruin Nintendo's top 21). RW's numbers are also interesting, since it seems that FFXII has sold okay thus far, but hopefully it'll stick around.

Words fail at how awesome NSMB and More Brain Training are...

Hopefully next week we'll see how Ouendan 2 stacks up to the competition.

koam

Your threads rock but your thread titles are the boringest thing ever. You should do something like "MC 5/7 - 5/13 (wacky comment about the top 10 here)"

koam said:
Your threads rock but your thread titles are the boringest thing ever. You should do something like "MC 5/7 - 5/13 (wacky comment about the top 10 here)"

It's generated by a program. How about this?

Cheesemeister said:
On that note, perhaps I should add the single top-selling game to the weekly thread titles. Yes, no?

koam said:
It could be done in a cross style between the stig and bunnies:

It's been said that Sales-age Bunnies can smell graphs.

Sales-age Bunnies have long legs running through their veins.

Sales-age Bunnies fear nothing, except for boiling Crisco.

Edit: Oooh. I know:

Sales-age Bunnies are voiced by Don LaFontaine.

koam said:
You do realise he uses a parser to set up these threads, right? I don't know how much you know about programming, but it's generally hard to quantify 'wacky' and have it generated by code.

EDIT: Beaten by the Cheese himself. That said, I wouldn't mind the top selling game in the topic title.

Cheesemeister said:
On that note, perhaps I should add the single top-selling game to the weekly thread titles. Yes, no?

I'm going to go with No. I like the thread titles the way they are, gives me a chance to be surprised at what game has reached number 1 for the week. God knows that these weekly threads help me get through my week, only to be forced to wait for the next set of numbers.

Saitou

Banned
Not to mention the top selling game is usually not a surprise in any way shape or form.

I think the title is fine just as is.
Add a WOW for old time's sake

Fredescu

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
I don't know how much you know about programming, but it's generally hard to quantify 'wacky' and have it generated by code.
Well, you could do something like having a pool of phrases that means "is the number one software title" and have it randomly choose that in addition to the title. "Monster Hunter Portable 2 Jams into first!" Not saying it would be a good idea, just that it could qualify as wacky.

I too like the idea of having the #1 in the title.

That's what mods are for.

Also, I do not want the #1 in the title. Keep it a surprise!

Fredescu said:
Well, you could do something like having a pool of phrases that means "is the number one software title" and have it randomly choose that in addition to the title. "Monster Hunter Portable 2 Jams into first!" Not saying it would be a good idea, just that it could qualify as wacky.
But that would mean he'd have think up a bunch of wacky phrases himself and insert them into the code. That's pre-rendered wackiness, if you will, rather than generating wackiness in real time. It'd mean a lot of work.

koam said:

"Filthy dirty whore Media Create sales for May 7th - May 13th (SONY DOOMED)"

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Aristotlekh said:
"Filthy dirty whore Media Create sales for May 7th - May 13th (SONY DOOMED)"

Not good enough. We need something new that isn't common knowledge.

justchris

Vinnk said:
I don't think One Piece is supply constrained anymore. I think the suppy has met demand. But I will check it out today for my report tomorow.

You guys still want me to call Hello Mac or is that old news already?

Don't forget to check on how Ouendan 2 is selling (even though I know you already got your copy).

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
BrodiemanTTR said:
Does Media Create not post software numbers at their site anymore? What's this new website?
Didn't you ever wonder how we started to get software numbers a day before hardware numbers? They are on the same page on MC's site, it's been this way for a long time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
But that would mean he'd have think up a bunch of wacky phrases himself and insert them into the code. That's pre-rendered wackiness, if you will, rather than generating wackiness in real time. It'd mean a lot of work.

A lot of work? Hell no.

my @endsentences = ("jams into first","rocks the casbah","scores a home run","parties hard","owns the competition","goes boom like the dynamite","dominates","scores a monster kill","busts a nut","climbs the chart","rises to heaven","prints money","is hotter than jessica alba","evolves into metalgarurumon","makes haters cry bitter tears","has legs right up to here","inflicts more pain than a root canal","starts a revolution","coasts on moneyhats","is the prime rib","is moved to tears by the size of this thing","really is full of things","is no spoony bard");
my @chosen = $endsentences[int(rand(@endsentences))];

That's enough for six months.

Actually, Cheesemeister, what language is your parser written in?

zallaaa

01./00. [PSP] Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion War (Square-Enix) - 154,891 / NEW
OMG, Nintendo am doomed! :D it could be a bit tiresome to regain the top of the chart, and a lot more to see another Nintendo TOP "whatever shocking"... btw, I'm drooling to see the hardware numbers

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cheesemeister said:
It's written in C#. But I'm really not keen on the idea of adding "wacky" commentary to the thread titles.

Me neither, I just felt obliged to correct the assumption that it'd be hard to make a random phrase generator.

Is C# your preferred language or did you just have a pre-made parser kicking around that you adapted for this stuff? Also, is the parser smart enough to autopost using your cookies or does it just give you the post which you manually post?

FFT did well. I don't think it has legs, but it'll probably push past 250k.

RW will probably reach ~600k, which I'm guessing is more than Square was expecting.

SPM will do 700k-ish.

Fredescu

That's pre-rendered wackiness, if you will, rather than generating wackiness in real time.
I only meant that wackiness was possible, not that it would be advisable, or of acceptable quality.

Stumpokapow said:
Me neither, I just felt obliged to correct the assumption that it'd be hard to make a random phrase generator.

Is C# your preferred language or did you just have a pre-made parser kicking around that you adapted for this stuff? Also, is the parser smart enough to autopost using your cookies or does it just give you the post which you manually post?

It's written in C# because the program was initially written with the sole idea of generating the Pac-Man charts, so a quickly up-and-running GUI was desirable.

Currently, the program sends the BBCode-formatted output text to my clipboard, opens a Firefox tab to post a new thread, and hits play in Winamp to alert me. Autoposting is actually the next feature I was considering implementing, though I'd probably need to get permission from the mods/admins and add all sorts of unit tests that I currently have to diagnose and troubleshoot if necessary. Sometimes, there are just problems with the input data like nulls right in the middle of the stream or a terminated connection.

Getting the lookup table for the translations to cooperate can be tricky, too, as sometimes EG and MC use unforeseeable different renderings for the same title, e.g. Romaji vs. Katakana. Since I've added the processing of the upcoming week's titles, though, this should be made easier as I should be able to compare against a given week's releases for a best match.

Vinnk

pickwick said:
last time wiisport sold around 30k, Wii sold around 52k (week ending april the 8th)

Well Wii is hopefully begin moving to the point where there are a number of titles that people will buy the system for other than Wii Sports. BBA could become one. Wii fitness will likely be one. So it might get harder to predict the HW sales based on SW numbers in the future.

Top Bottom