• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/7 - 5/13, PS3 < 10k

justchris

Cheesemeister said:
It's written in C#. But I'm really not keen on the idea of adding "wacky" commentary to the thread titles.

I don't like the idea of having the top game in the title either. I like them the way they are, with just the dates.

Okay, fine.

conan.png

But I may still add the titles to the archive list at the bottom of the OP posts.

Mardak

Well, some slight extra functionality that could be added to the title would be the order of the top 10 by system.

Media Create Sales 5/7 - 5/13 PDWDDWWWDD

W: WII
D: NDS
G: GBA
X: 360
2: PS2
3: PS3
P: PSP

And if you really wanted to jam info into the title, you could separate those letters with a dot for every 10k between items (rounded).

Media Create Sales 5/7 - 5/13 P............D.WD.DWWWDD

Media Create Sales 4/30 - 5/06 D..W.W...DWDWD.DD [neogaf.com]

Media Create Sales 4/23 - 4/29 D....................DW..W..WWWDDD [neogaf.com]

Mardak said:
Well, some slight extra functionality that could be added to the title would be the order of the top 10 by system.

Media Create Sales 5/7 - 5/13 PDWDDWWWDD

W: WII
D: NDS
G: GBA
X: 360
2: PS2
3: PS3
P: PSP

And if you really wanted to jam info into the title, you could separate those letters with a dot for every 10k between items (rounded).

Media Create Sales 5/7 - 5/13 P............D.WD.DWWWDD

Media Create Sales 4/30 - 5/06 D..W.W...DWDWD.DD [neogaf.com]

Media Create Sales 4/23 - 4/29 D....................DW..W..WWWDDD [neogaf.com]

This is a terrible idea. :/

D.Lo

Fuzzy said:
Will you still be saying that when Castlevania does better on the PSP than the DS in Japan?
Maybe if they gave the DS ports of two absolute classics instead of piss-poor boring clones with unstylish anime art...

Konami are insane with their platform choice, DS has proved over and over to be selling to all demographics, NSMB shows there is massive demand for 'classic' style but serious 2D platformers on the system...and yet Konami gives it teh kiddeh.

That said, there's no chance DX Chronicles will sell as much as either DS game worldwide.

Mardak

BrodiemanTTR said:
This is a terrible idea. :/
Versus looking at a list of media create sales posts and the only thing you have to judge which one has the information you might want is the date?

Given a list of a bunch of posts such as searching, the official archive, or in-post archive; it should be much easier to see which ones are more "interesting" with the mini summary of the top 10.

Deku

Banned
I think there's a good chance the two ports of Dracula/Castlevania games will do well on the PSP from the nostalgia factor, but Dracula as a franchise force is pretty much dead in Japan. It will sell to the hard core and probably pull in FF1 remake numbers. 30-50k on week 1 and a quick drop off assuming retailers order that many units.

Tf53

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
You seem to forget, perhaps due to your US-centric upbringing and the general isolationism of the US culture, that American English is not the authoritative version. None of the various English dialects are, as a matter of fact.

For example, Cambridge english is just as valid in a linguistic sense as is Scottish English, Californian English, Black American English, South African English, Indian English or the Queen's English. The problem comes in establishing which dialect is most easily understood by the majority of English speakers around the world. Teaching this dialect will allow a learner to make the most of their new language

The best candidates for this honour are Oxford/Cambridge English and Californian American English. It may surprise you to learn that neither are any easier to learn than the other to a person whose first language is not English. It is simply a matter of how useful the dialect will be to them. Thus, it is broken up by region: Europeans usually learn the British variant, while Americans (I refer to the continent) and the Japanese usually learn the US variant.

Not to forget the fact that BE is actually the more advanced version. AE has characteristics that are remnants from 18th century English, e.g. rhoticity (i.e. car has an 'r' sound in AE, but not in BE). None of this actually matters, though, since BE sounds like the speaker has a pitchfork up their ass.

[completely off-topic]
I do remember a funny story about the difference in idioms one of our lecturers told us. His friend, a native NY woman, was staying in London, and while checking in, the hotel clerk politely asked her:
Would you like me to come and knock you up in the morning?
[/completely off-topic]

test_account

XP-39C²
Monster Hunter PSP is still on top 50 i see, is that the most selling game for PSP?

By the way, a guy got banned for a week because he didnt see/read "NEW" on FFT? Damn.. hehe.

nli10

Mardak said:
Versus looking at a list of media create sales posts and the only thing you have to judge which one has the information you might want is the date?

Given a list of a bunch of posts such as searching, the official archive, or in-post archive; it should be much easier to see which ones are more "interesting" with the mini summary of the top 10.

So the date - a completely unique value, linked to any game or system you want easily by a quick wiki search - is not as good to judge which thread you need as a string of characters which can easily be duplicated?

Only those wishing to pick charts at random to prove fanboyish arguments would look through the archive for a DS dominated chart or a Playstation dominated chart.

Just look a the graphs provided in the threads and determine dates that way, or use the wiki to find out when certain games were released.

Taurus said:
Place your bets!

I'm calling it for NSMB. :)

All depends whether another Brain Training before Xmas makes sales of 2 go up or down.

I think NSMB will edge it just because of the fact that there is really only 1 mario game out there and lots of BT ones about.

nli10

tanasten said:
No, seriously, that´s a hell of addictive and productive game.

I´ve been playing it for months and I´m very close to complete all the exercises. My most played game so far on the DS, so imagine how great it is!

Ok cool :) - do you think it improved your English significantly?

Would it be possible to play in reverse (me buy the Spanish version and to learn Spanish using it?)

Would you buy the sequel?

I'd get the English people learn Spanish/German versions of these - heck I'd probably even get the French one too. They'd be really handy as while my spoken language is ok (audio book leanring FTW) I struggle with street signs and reading in most languages (including English somedays...)

Tf53 said:
Not to forget the fact that BE is actually the more advanced version. AE has characteristics that are remnants from 18th century English, e.g. rhoticity (i.e. car has an 'r' sound in AE, but not in BE).

wtf?

Tf53

MrPing1000 said:
When the pilgrims crossed the Atlantic Ocean, they took with them an English that existed in Britain in the 17th and 18th century. It's a simplification, since there are sound changes in AE that occurred after crossing the Atlantic, but basically AE is based on an older form of BE.

Wikipedia said:
In many ways, compared to British English, American English is conservative in its phonology.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_English

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Tf53 said:
When the pilgrims crossed the Atlantic Ocean, they took with them an English that existed in Britain in the 17th and 18th century. It's a simplification, since there are sound changes in AE that occurred after crossing the Atlantic, but basically AE is based on an older form of BE.

I want you to think long and hard about what exactly you posted. Just think about it. Really...

Tf53

GreenGlowingGoo said:
I want you to think long and hard about what exactly you posted. Just think about it. Really...

AE has the characteristics of 17th century English plus a few vowel changes.

BE has had a few vowel changes plus a couple of other changes as well.

Isn't the more advanced version the one with more advances (or alterations)? The only reason AE is seen as superior is because of the effect of modern day American popular culture.

BTW, I use AE. Just stating the facts.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
telluzaboutenglishtracopia.jpg

nli10 said:
Ok cool :) - do you think it improved your English significantly?

Would it be possible to play in reverse (me buy the Spanish version and to learn Spanish using it?)

Well... if there was a Spanish version and you were interested in learning the language... it's helpful. You playing with it, learning new vocabulary and if you make an effort, learn grammar (not spelling, but composition)

wouldn't be like you would learn Spanish with the game only, it's only a "Training", so a game that helps you to improve you skills onto something, but does not teach you if you do not your own research.

nli10 said:
Would you buy the sequel?

Yes, indeed. I'm looking forward to it! I think they can improved a ton the game yet, and that they can do the game more fun and more didactic.

nli10 said:
I'd get the English people learn Spanish/German versions of these - heck I'd probably even get the French one too. They'd be really handy as while my spoken language is ok (audio book learning FTW) I struggle with street signs and reading in most languages (including English somedays...)

Ask Nintendo. I think that there is a userbase waiting for that kind of games, but will not be half as big as the English Training userbase. You know, English is the international language, learnt it and you can go everywhere. What else other language is as useful?

BTW, Street Signs Training? :D

Bo130 said:
What other games have ever reached 5,000,000 in Japan alone? Can anyone tell me?

Not counting Pokemon... I think last was DQVII.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Tf53 said:

Isn't the more advanced version the one with more advances (or alterations)? The only reason AE is seen as superior is because of the effect of modern day American popular culture.

I wasn't talking about better or worse, and no, more alterations does not mean more advanced. It just means more alterations. Differences. The two languages are divergent from the same base. You said, "but basically AE is based on an older form of BE." Well, so is current BE, which makes what you said especially goofy. You need to look up the words advanced and primitive.

OK, and back on topic!

It's now been a year since any DS games have made the kind of impact as BT1/2, AC and NSMB. Even pokemon, even though it collectively sold more, it didn't have the same slow constant burn these games have. I'm curious if there will be anything else that will. And there's no common theme between them. NSMB, BT, and AC can't be any more different from each other. Even if AC and BT are often clumped together as non-games.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Bo130 said:
Hm, ok. Super Mario Bros.? And did any Pokémon game really break 5,000,000, counting them separately?

The first pokemon IIRC. Sold about 8 millions each :lol

EDIT: Nay, I'm bad to remember numbers ->
GB Nintendo Pocket Monster (Green, Red, Blue) 10.23
(source, the magicbox)

Magicpaint said:
DQVII sold ~4.14.

Then I think there's no a game unless Pokemon or Mario that has sold over 5 millions in Japan. CMIAW = Correct me if I'm Wrong.

Bo130 said:
Hm, ok. Super Mario Bros.? And did any Pokémon game really break 5,000,000, counting them separately?

SMB was > 6million.

For Pokemon, R/G/B sold > 10 million combined, but separately, I don't think any broke 5 million as a single title.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
GreenGlowingGoo said:
Even if AC and BT are often clumped together as non-games.
Code:
[B]Non-game[/B] (non-ge&#618;m)
noun, adjective
[I]non-gam·er[/I],[I]non-gam·ing[/I].
Game who has sold at least a million copies in Japan.

Kenka

Jocchan said:
Code:
noun, adjective
Game who has sold at least a million copies in Japan.

So basically, Kirby and Yoshi will soon be non-games. Interesting.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Jocchan said:
Code:
noun, adjective
Game who has sold at least a million copies in Japan on the DS or Wii.
Fixed.

KINGMOKU

PantherLotus said:
At least he knows how to credit his source. I see at least 2 citations there, one in the description to the user and one at the bottom to the site. Keep it up, kohler. More blogs should be like yours.
Damn. He makes his first Mario chart, and gets splashed all over the internet. Eddz and me have been making them forever.

:(

Thank god I can stop ****ing with that mario chart. It's all yours now sucker!!!hahahahahahahahahahaha

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Tf53 said:

just to point out.. this is in fact a theorization by linguists and only applies to certain pockets of american culture mostly in the midwest. However this has also been proven as skeptical at best thanks to the proliferation of nationwide dialects being distributed as far back as the 20's with radio, then movies, then television. Movies were mostly derived from the west coast by which time we settled it the english dialect was gone. tv originally stemmed mostly from the east coast which also saw OE eliminated early on. The theory is that small pockets of closed off communities in the midwest that were settled early on and never really mingled/bred with external communities might still have some trace of OE in their dialect, but the truth is after being raised on movies and tv and radio for 6-7 generations now, much of the dialect has been bred out as well.

Verve

nintendomination got so boring that we're arguing about the differences between BE and AE?

i like nintendo being on top but... man <.<

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Verve said:
nintendomination got so boring that we're arguing about the differences between BE and AE?

i like nintendo being on top but... man <.<
Welcome to the weekly MC thread tangent topic

Haunted

Good numbers for FFT, amazing Nintendomination etc. etc. They've got this market firmly in the bag, I tells ya.

ethelred said:
Since I posted this last week, I figured I'd do a followup.

Code:
Paper Mario		N64 	118,322 	55,725 	36,754 	425,609
Paper Mario 2		GCN 	137,750 	59,427 	40,907 	409,600
Super Paper Mario	WII 	144,192 	75,839 	90,151 	330,851
Thanks. Looks like SPM will comfortably outsell its predecessors. Great!

You know, at this rate, the best thing about the PS3 will be that it convinces Sony not to be such complete morans with their strategy come next generation.

Vagabundo

Pureauthor said:
You know, at this rate, the best thing about the PS3 will be that it convinces Sony not to be such complete morans with their strategy come next generation.

They will attempt a relaunch at some point (with all new pointer waggle controller).

felipeko said:
Code:
1 GB	Pocket Monster Red/Green			Nintendo	8.22
2 GB	Pocket Monster Silver/Gold			Nintendo	7.19
3 FC	Super Mario Brothers + Disk System ver.		Nintendo	6.81
4 GBA	Pocket Monsters Ruby/Sapphire			Poke-Nintendo	5.34
5 NDS	Pocket Monsters Diamond/Pearl			Poke-Nintendo	5.17
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154108

And that's all.

Wow, just imagine if NSMB, BT2, AC:WW, and maybe even DQIX all make it above 5 million. The DS is truly doing amazing things in Japan.

Bo130

Clever Pun said:
Wow, just imagine if NSMB, BT2, AC:WW, and maybe even DQIX all make it above 5 million. The DS is truly doing amazing things in Japan.

What's the latest we got for total sales on ACWW?

PkunkFury

Haunted One said:
Thanks. Looks like SPM will comfortably outsell its predecessors. Great!

this is great news, particularly since the other Paper Marios were releassed late in each console's life, and this one is almost a launch game. SPM is cashing in on a smaller user base and has pleanty of time left for legs to carry it farther

Top Bottom