• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 6/30 - 7/6

First day sales

- Persona 4 (PS2) 148.000
- Legendary Stafy: Confrontation! Daiiru Pirate Squad (NDS) 10.000
- God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP) 10.000
- Kane & Lynch: Dead Men (PS3) 3.600
- Naruto Shippuden: Gathering Strongest Ninja Together Gekitotsu!! Naruto vs Sasuke (NDS) 3.500
- Bumpy Trot: Vehicle Battle Tournament (PSP) 3.500
- Future GPX Cyber Formula VS (PSP) 2.000
- Kane & Lynch: Dead Men (360) 2.000
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

No RE0 - numbers, don´t know why. >_>

Jaruru

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Too low to be observed. :lol Anyway, great numbers for P4. Everything else is disappointing.

not surprise if RE0 number is low. what's new with this game??? Capcom is being lazy

botticus

P4 first day is better than P3's first week? Surprising.

Stafi is gonna have to work to show some respectable numbers even compared to 4.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Too low to be observed. :lol

i dobut re0 will be that low, i'm not expecting huge sales from it but it is still resident evil so a maybe 40-50k lifetime should be easy enough for it, the wii is already approaching double the cubes LTD, maybe 10k first day

feel free to shoot me if i'm well off the mark

Mrbob

What is the point of releaing western shooter games like Kane and Lynch in Japan?

I see it happen all the time and the games bomb.

The combined week one sales will be lucky to hit 15K, and drastically go down from there. How do you make money on such a small number of sales?

TOSE should have developed Densetsu no Stafi 5 instead of this one. Why are they still insisting with this franchise that hasn't never sold decently?

This Ninja Developer should stop to be like a ghost...

Mrbob said:
What is the point of releaing western shooter games like Kane and Lynch in Japan?

The combined week one sales will be lucky to hit 15K, and drastically go down from there. How do you make money on such a small number of sales?

it all boils down to how much games need to sell to make money, in some cases its far lower than people may think, say a publisher is making $20 (a completely made up and possibly slightly conservative amount) per copy on a game and it sell just 20,000 copies thats still $400,000 which is probably vastly more than it cost to localise said game (pay a few translators and testers for a couple of months work, do a minimal amount of marketing)

bingo, profit

Mrbob said:

PS360 in Japan need games to fill their schedule... or they may just have 1 game/month average.

Brofist

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Not that surprising since PS2 is still definitely a more profitable platform then PS3 in Japan.

huh what does PS3 have to do with Persona 4 outselling Persona 3 so far?

Anyway the reason it did outsell it I'm assuming is both buyers of P3 and P3 FES bought into P4 in the early going.

kpop100 said:
huh what does PS3 have to do with Persona 4 outselling Persona 3 so far?

Anyway the reason it did outsell it I'm assuming is both buyers of P3 and P3 FES bought into P4 in the early going.

PS2 is not dead even with a one and an half-year presence of the PS3. This means that many consumers still play with PS2 and that shifting (supposing there is a shift) is very slow.
I doubt that P4 on PS3 would have sold so much...
And if you add that it will probably sell better then P3... no negative effects from PS2's decline it seems.

Anyway, I would like to ask JJ past LTD's numbers of the entire Legend of Stafy series.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Oh man... I dind't know it sold that well... Definitely this episode bombed like a rock.
Looked at across time, we can definitely see the series slowing down after the first two.

I also notice that 1, 3, and 5 were late December launches, which couldn't have hurt. 2 was a mid-January launch.

iidesuyo

Phife Dawg said:
Just out of curiosity, outside of PES, MnG and PowaPuro, what sports games did PSP receive? I honestly can't think of any.

Those are the major sports games. They all sold well, Winning Eleven PSP for example did much better than the Wii version.

I can only repeat what I said. When there is good software for the PSP, it sells.

iidesuyo said:
Those are the major sports games. They all sold well, Winning Eleven PSP for example did much better than the Wii version.

I can only repeat what I said. When there is good software for the PSP, it sells.
Big name software sells? More news at 11.

Plus both PSP and Wii WE did rather poorly, 180k and 110k respectively.

HSG:O 2 had a big drop-off from No. 1 too. And for the franchise 250k isn't really selling well anyways.

The big winner is obviously the latest PowaPuro, now that's selling well.

I can only repeat what I said, what about the good software that didn't sell?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Phife Dawg said:
Probably something to do with both of them releasing a lot later then 'main' releases like the 360 one :p Is Konami planning to fix that this year?

Opiate

Excellent Persona 4 sales. This is a series on the rise, and it is further evidence that the PS2 still has kick to it. I suspect at least a few more 100k+ debuts before night finally falls.

AnimeTheme said:
PS360 in Japan need games to fill their schedule... or they may just have 1 game/month average.

Which would be a logical explanation if these were first party games, but most aren't. Eidos isn't interested in helping "fill out the schedule" of the PS3/360; they're interested in making money on their game.

I think a more plausible argument is that it's possible that these games do make money in Japan (Are all of them fully translated?) even on microscopic sales. 30k extra sales is better than none, essentially.

Fafalada said:
Probably something to do with both of them releasing a lot later then 'main' releases like the 360 one :p Is Konami planning to fix that this year?
WE Wii launched even later than WE PSP (almost 6 months later than the PSP version, which was late itself). Dunno if they'll fix this, judging by the late announcement of the Wii version we could see a late release again.

I don't think it hurts the PSP version all that much though, fans of the series will not opt for an "either or" (meaning they won't choose between getting the console or portable version) the portable version is complementary imo. Maybe the idea was to give fans of the series time to play the console versions and then afterwards get them to "double-dip".

Spiegel

Phife Dawg said:
WE Wii launched even later than WE PSP (almost 6 months later than the PSP version, which was late itself). Dunno if they'll fix this, judging by the late announcement of the Wii version we could see a late release again.

I don't think it hurts the PSP version all that much though, fans of the series will not opt for an "either or" (meaning they won't choose between getting the console or portable version) the portable version is complementary imo. Maybe the idea was to give fans of the series time to play the console versions and then afterwards get them to "double-dip".

PSP version 24/01/2008
Wii version 21/02/2008

Yeah, six months...

ccbfan

Phife Dawg said:

Other than the lastest tales of port has there been any good software released in the last year that didn't sell? Plus considering the state of tales games these days and the over saturation of tales ports with no new main tales games, I'm not even sure if its that much of a failure.

ksamedi

Phife Dawg said:
Big name software sells? More news at 11.

HSG:O 2 had a big drop-off from No. 1 too. And for the franchise 250k isn't really selling well anyways.

The big winner is obviously the latest PowaPuro, now that's selling well.

Maybe you could name them? From what I have been seeing is that now that the PSP has gained momentum, it has a lot more chart presence. The PSP consumer certainly does buy software. It just wasm't given the right games. The blame is always on the osftware companies in my eyes. If they can't sell software to that base they are the ones to blame really.

Johann

Opiate said:
Which would be a logical explanation if these were first party games, but most aren't. Eidos isn't interested in helping "fill out the schedule" of the PS3/360; they're interested in making money on their game.

I think a more plausible argument is that it's possible that these games do make money in Japan (Are all of them fully translated?) even on microscopic sales. 30k extra sales is better than none, essentially.

Spike's youtube channel has gameplay videos of some of their localizations featuring full Japanese voice-overs.

test_account

XP-39C²
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
PS2 is not dead even with a one and an half-year presence of the PS3. This means that many consumers still play with PS2 and that shifting (supposing there is a shift) is very slow.
I doubt that P4 on PS3 would have sold so much...
And if you add that it will probably sell better then P3... no negative effects from PS2's decline it seems.

Anyway, I would like to ask JJ past LTD's numbers of the entire Legend of Stafy series.
I think what he ment with suprising was that the interest in the Persona serie doesnt seem to have dropped off or stayed stable compared to the sale of Persona 3, it seems to have been boosted relatively much instead with the release of Persona 4 (it looks like that compared to the 1st week sales atleast (we only have 1st day sales for P4, but its higher than P3's first week so P4's first week will be higher than P3's first week)). Persona 4 might end up selling relativerly close to what Persona 3 in its lifetime, and this is in Persona 4's first week of sales :)

The PS2 userbase is alittle bigger (somewere around 600k bigger if i'm not mistaken) now compared to when Persona 3 was released so that might be the reason why P4 sold more than P3 (the 1st week sales atleast), and the PS2 is still not dead as you said indeed, but some gaming series sometimes drop in sales eventhough the userbase gets bigger (The Tales of and Ratch & Clank series for PS2 are 2 examples of decrease in interest although the PS2 userbase got bigger during the time).

P4 might up getting a simular LTD that P3 has though, if that happends the interest for Persona hasnt increased much it seems, but judging by the first day sales for P4 it looks like the interest for Persona has increased atleast :) We'll see what happends :)

Spiegel said:
PSP version 24/01/2008
Wii version 21/02/2008

Yeah, six months...
Oops, confused the dates. Thanks for correcting me.

ccbfan said:
Other than the lastest tales of port has there been any good software released in the last year that didn't sell? Plus considering the state of tales games these days and the over saturation of tales ports with no new main tales games, I'm not even sure if its that much of a failure.
Hm, just 2007? Hard to get all the dates correct. R&C, CV (although that doesn't even sell on DS :lol ), SH, SO. How was Fate/Tiger Colosseum? That one didn't sell all too hot on PSP. Just from the top of my head.

Wasn't the latest Tales of on PSP a 2008 game?

ksamedi said:
Maybe you could name them? From what I have been seeing is that now that the PSP has gained momentum, it has a lot more chart presence. The PSP consumer certainly does buy software. It just wasm't given the right games. The blame is always on the osftware companies in my eyes. If they can't sell software to that base they are the ones to blame really.
2008 (PSP momentum in full effect) saw popular franchises like WE, Musou and stuff like Echocrome. Then there's that latest Tales of on PSP (I think that was 2008), Star Ocean 2nd. The games that really got a push were MH and PowaPuro, both considerably up from previous iterations.

GAF is funny though, PSP's line-up always gets praise when it comes to discussion about games, but when it comes to sales the blame is put on the companies due to said line-up.

donny2112

The PSP games are selling better in 2008 than they did through the same point in 2007. In 2007, I track 12 PSP games > 50K through the mid-year point. In 2008, I track 17 games > 50K to the same point. Therefore by PSP's standards, it's doing a lot better with more games consistently charting. However from the perspective of the best-selling system in 2008, it's a bit low. However (again) as has been discussed multiple times this year, the PSP is no longer selling as a primarily UMD game playing device in Japan.

For comparison, the DS is way down this year.

2007: 82 games > 50K by the mid-point.
2008: 43 games > 50K by the mid-point.

jesusraz

Anyone translated 31-50 yet?

And Cheese, are you going to fill in the past couple of weeks with your super-duper formatting to appease those that miss your special touch in the M-C threads? (please)

Numberos. ~_~

PSP: 57.000
DSL: 47.000
Wii: 41.000
PS3: 14.000
PS2: 11.000
360: 2.700

1. Persona 4 (PS2) 212.000 [212.000]
2. Legendary Stafy: Confrontation! Daiiru Pirate Squad (NDS) 35.000 [35.000]
3. Resident Evil 0 (Wii) 23.000 [23.000]
4. Wii Fit (Wii) 23.000 [2.310.000]
5. Daigasso! Band Brothers DX (NDS) 21.000 [189.000]
6. Derby Stallion DS (NDS) 18.000 [198.000]
7. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) 17.000 [1.564.000]
8. God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP) 17.000 [17.000]
9. Hana yori Dango (NDS) 15.000 [15.000]
10. GeGeGe no Kitaro: Youkai Daikessen (NDS) 15.000 [15.000]

11. Initial D Extreme Stage (PS3) 13.000 [57.000]
12. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP) 13.000 [2.329.000]
13. Custom Beat Battle Draglade 2 (NDS) 13.000 [13.000]
14. Tales of Symphonia 2: Dawn of the New World (Wii) 11.000 [188.000]
15. Super Mario Stadium Baseball (Wii) 11.000 [113.000]
16. Nanashi no Game (NDS) 11.000 [41.000]
17. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of Patriots (PS3) 11.000 [606.000]
18. Wii Sports (Wii) 10.000 [3.031.000]
19. Beautiful Letter Training DS (NDS) 8.600 [323.000]
20. Naruto Shippuden: Gathering Strongest Ninja Together Gekitotsu!! Naruto vs Sasuke (NDS) 8.500 [8.500]
21. Super Robot Wars A Portable (PSP) 8.200 [135.000]
23. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 3 (PSP) 7.900 [219.000]
24. Kane & Lynch: Dead Men (PS3) 7.600 [7.600]
25. Meccha Taiko Drum Master DS: Adventure in Seven Islands (NDS) 7.300 [234.000]
26. Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit (PS3) 6.800 [125.000]
27. Ken to Mahou to Gakuen Mono (PSP) 6.800 [50.000]
28. Wii Play (Wii) 6.600 [2.416.000]
29. Mario Kart DS (NDS) 6.600 [3.126.000]
30. New Super Mario Bros. (NDS) 5.800 [5.221.000]

xx. Bumpy Trot: Vehicle Battle Tournament (PSP) 3.300
xx. Kane & Lynch: Dead Men (360) 2.600
xx. Dark Sector (PS3) 2.500

Top Bottom