• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/30 - 8/5

jjasper

Stumpokapow said:
Hahahaha. The original FF: CC sold 355k. That's a lot of faith to put in the boosting power of the DS versus the failure power of the GCN.

Well the game selling 355k for all the requirements it had and the small GCN base seems pretty good, but of course I don't really keep up with these numbers like you guys do. But yeah the DS version is easily going to be million+.

Also when does FFVII:CC and the new PSP models come out? Do you guys think it would be possible for PSP to be #1 for that week?

Frillen

jjasper said:
Well the game selling 355k for all the requirements it had and the small GCN base seems pretty good, but of course I don't really keep up with these numbers like you guys do. But yeah the DS version is easily going to be million+.

Also when does FFVII:CC and the new PSP models come out? Do you guys think it would be possible for PSP to be #1 for that week?

The PSP wasn't even first when Monster Hunter 2 came out, so I doubt it. But you never though.

ethelred

Stumpokapow said:
Hahahaha. The original FF: CC sold 355k. That's a lot of faith to put in the boosting power of the DS versus the failure power of the GCN.

Well, we'll see. It depends on whether or not they're expecting this game to have staying power beyond its first retail order. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings did not... and I think we've pretty clearly established that It's a Wonderful World doesn't.

Crystal Chronicles may end up just selling through the first order and fizzling. We don't know yet.

jjasper said:
But yeah the DS version is easily going to be million+.

Whooooooa, hold up. That's way premature.

jjasper said:

... no.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Stumpokapow said:
Ouch, given that FFXII is near the very bottom of FF sales and failure for international / best price / director's cut editions to take off would pretty much keep it at the very bottom forever.

very bottom of FF sales? It's pretty close to FFX in japan actually

enishi

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10042905105.html

[PS2]Final Fantasy XII International - 30k (20% of first shipment, price collapse starts)

[NDS]SD G Generation Cross Drive - 90k (10k limited NDSL bundle)
[NDS]Donkey Kong Jungle Climber - 15k
[PSP]Wild Arms XF - 20k

Retails preorder number:
[NDS]Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - Ring of Fate - 400k

jjasper

ethelred said:
Whooooooa, hold up. That's way premature.

I guess but without the limitations on the game like the GCN one had I think till will be close. But it is true that it almost all of its sales could come from the preorders and first week too.

ethelred said:

:lol Yeah I didn't think so

enishi said:
[PS2]Final Fantasy XII International - 30k (20% of first shipment, price collapse starts)

pricecollapse.jpg

S-E needs to stop relying so much on the dwindling popularity of FF, IAWW notwithstanding.

I didn't expect such low numbers for FFXII International. I guess people over there just don't care much for this entry, at least enough to buy it twice...

John Harker

jjasper said:

yea, what are those numbers?
not reliable? isn't that Moors site?

I may be wrong, I was under the impression that FF12 sold very comparable to FFX not including the International and best price editions, which is what gave FFX the lead.

I was assuming after FF12:I sales and price drops that it would actually outsell FFX.

jjasper

I haven no idea, I don't really keep up with this stuff and just happened to be on that page when I saw people were comparing X to XII and figured that was what you saw.

tanod

when is my burrito
Well for XII, you have to take into account that it was delayed by at least a year and a half past its original planned release date AND 13 and its spinoffs were announced before 12 was even out yet.

Delay + Sequel Announcement = Japanameh

John Harker said:

I may be wrong, I was under the impression that FF12 sold very comparable to FFX not including the International and best price editions, which is what gave FFX the lead.

I was assuming after FF12:I sales and price drops that it would actually outsell FFX.
Ah yes, I see now. Well, I think it was always safe to assume that since FFX came out at the beginning of the PS2's life and FFXII at the end, that it was never going to rack up the catalog sales via Best Price and International that FFX did. Really, I'd be shocked if it got much past 2.6 million when all is said and done.

ethelred

tanod said:
...AND 13 and its spinoffs were announced before 12 was even out yet.

Delay + Sequel Announcement = Japanameh

Nope. FFXII was out in March. The FFXIII franchise was announced that summer at E3.

John Harker

Segata Sanshiro said:
Ah yes, I see now. Well, I think it was always safe to assume that since FFX came out at the beginning of the PS2's life and FFXII at the end, that it was never going to rack up the catalog sales via Best Price and International that FFX did. Really, I'd be shocked if it got much past 2.6 million when all is said and done.

Yea. Especially internationally. Having The X360 out for a year and having PS3/Wii coming out a month or so after FF12 finally launched (after all those delays) really killed its chances of being a monumental success.

All things considered however, I can't see how anyone can be dissapointed with the sales considering the release timing, delays, competition, etc... especially since its such a drastic change for the series, its not like it "put too many people off" as some people like to claim.

SE must be fond of it enough to create an entire "Ivalice Alliance" portfolio around it, and give it a direct sequal - albeit for the DS - but maybe because I'm finally on the last boss of the game since playing it in October (i love it, but suck at it) that I still feel like discussing it :lol

Evlar

Banned
Yep, it's become clear (if it wasn't obvious before) that DS is Japan's RPG platform of the moment. How quickly things change, given that RPGs were agreed to be a notable weakness in DS's library less than a year ago. Wii or PS3 will have to wrest it away.

The Sphinx said:
Yep, it's become clear (if it wasn't obvious before) that DS is Japan's RPG platform of the moment. How quickly things change, given that RPGs were agreed to be a notable weakness in DS's library less than a year ago. Wii or PS3 will have to wrest it away.

They'd have to wrest it from the X360 first, since it has the best RPG lineup of any next-gen console there.

tanod

when is my burrito
NintendosBooger said:
They'd have to wrest it from the X360 first, since it has the best RPG lineup of any next-gen console there.

That's not really saying much but if you're gonna make that argument: the DS is a next-gen console?

ziran

enishi said:
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10042905105.html

[NDS]SD G Generation Cross Drive - 90k (10k limited NDSL bundle)
[NDS]Donkey Kong Jungle Climber - 15k
[PSP]Wild Arms XF - 20k

Retails preorder number:
[NDS]Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - Ring of Fate - 400k
Wow @ FFXII sales! I think these titles usually sell 250-350K, so this doesn't look like it's going to manage it. Was FFXII disliked so much? I know it was controversial, but thought it had its fair share of fans.

Impressive sales for Gundam DS. From what I remember it had a shipment/retail orders of 300K, which I thought was high, but it seems about right, and could outsell this, LTD.

Pre-orders for FFCC seem about right, it could be a big success.

jimbo

Banned
Xisiqomelir said:
Okay jimbo :lol

That wasn't suppposed to be funny. I was pointing out the fact that it almost landed on the same exact number it was doing pe-oblivion.

You know like pushing a baloon down into the water and then comes back to the top. Hence the bouyancy. Only the opposite.

Deku

Banned
Vinnk said:
I am back from the seminar. I will go to the stores today. Anything you want me to check for?

I believe the Sales-Age people are interested in Wii inventory levels as well

apujanata

Vinnk said:
I am back from the seminar. I will go to the stores today. Anything you want me to check for?
Rumor of FFXII International, PS2, price collapse.
And price collapse of IAWW Its a Wonderful World.

mclem

Pureauthor said:
The Sales-Age Saga's latest chapter is up. Enjoy.

While I've been aware of it, I've never actually read it, but now I've had a look at it, there's a line in the very first chapter that was eerily portentious:
If Sony announced tomorrow that it was slashing the prices by USD 100 across the board, they'd figure some way to show that these news was evidence of Sony's evil, money grubbing ways.
So, are you naturally psychic, or did it take years of training?

John Harker said:

i don't add regular version + best price / international / everything else, just as Famitsu does (see also Monster Hunter - Minna no Golf - Ryu ga Gotoku)

very good numbers for SD Gundam Generations Crossdrive... in just 1 day it sold more than the last chapter on DS...

UPDATE : just took a look at amazon.jp, FF12i has 30% off...

John Harker

Moor-Angol said:
i don't add regular version + best price / international / everything else, just as Famitsu does (see also Monster Hunter - Minna no Golf - Ryu ga Gotoku)

Right, that's what I was assuming.

So essentially, FF12 sold almost exactly the same amount as FFX at full priced. Nearly identical.

Evidently, its the FF12:I version thats going to bomb and keep it under LTD sales...
Which is a shame, but that still makes FF12 a big success

apujanata

Moor-Angol said:
UPDATE : just took a look at amazon.jp, FF12i has 30% off...

To Jimbo, moor-angol and all other people who often look at amazon.jp :
is it normal for a game to have discount so quick after launch ?
What happened to IAWW (which ethelred and many others consider as bomb) price during launch week and one week after launch ?

Top Bottom