• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 8/13 - 8/19

mj1108 said:
It is not. Can't take it, you big baby? Do us a favor and get lost.

Who's us? If you're talking about Nintendo fans, I'm one of em. I just grow tired of seeing the same thing in every sales thread as if it's a new revelation that Nintendo's kicking ass despite all the doom & gloom soothsayers from years past out there.

AniHawk

Xisiqomelir said:
I think you guys are overstating the stubbornness of the 3rd parties a little. They can't all be that blind.

Sega's been uncharacteristically smart in supporting the Wii from the get-go with original games. Solid, original efforts too like SMB and Sonic (and maybe... maybe NiGHTS). Capcom's being the stubborn old mule they always are. They get stuck with a system and love it to the bitter end (Saturn/DC/GC-sorta/360). I get the feeling there's more to Square Enix than what we're seeing. The sheer amount of DS support has been incredible, and I expect a bigger focus from them on the Wii post-2008.

Then you have Namco Bandai, which will only put out shit for the system, because Namco Bandai puts out shit for every system these days. Konami will probably stay rooted in their PS3 land of dooming doom (though aside from Kojima and maybe Iga, nothing worthwhile has come out of them for quite a long while).

Sounds like Tecmo's a bit on board. The Rygar game's a port of a FIVE YEAR OLD GAME (I think they win the prize on this one). Super Tecmo Bowl may come out for the Wii (as much as the other systems), and you have Itagaki hinting at some support ala Ninja Gaiden DS.

On the Western side, EA sorta knows what they're doing. They've put more effort into their ports than any other western developer so far. UbiSoft has more games on the system than Nintendo, but nearly all of them suck ass. The only silver lining is that Ancel seems to be a Nintendo/Wii fan, and he's been pretty silent for a while. Hopefully they're letting him do BGE2. Activision will make big bucks with Guitar Hero III, but they're a company that doesn't do many interesting things either.

So what's left? There's Eidos, rumored to be creating a good-looking "Zelda" style game from the ground up. Midway's right behind UbiSoft as the most clueless third party. It takes a long time to make games for any system, so when the Wii really was taking off earlier this year, it probably meant we won't see games until 2009.

apotema

AniHawk said:
Sega's been uncharacteristically smart in supporting the Wii from the get-go with original games. Solid, original efforts too like SMB and Sonic (and maybe... maybe NiGHTS). Capcom's being the stubborn old mule they always are. They get stuck with a system and love it to the bitter end (Saturn/DC/GC-sorta/360). I get the feeling there's more to Square Enix than what we're seeing. The sheer amount of DS support has been incredible, and I expect a bigger focus from them on the Wii post-2008.

Then you have Namco Bandai, which will only put out shit for the system, because Namco Bandai puts out shit for every system these days. Konami will probably stay rooted in their PS3 land of dooming doom (though aside from Kojima and maybe Iga, nothing worthwhile has come out of them for quite a long while).

Sounds like Tecmo's a bit on board. The Rygar game's a port of a FIVE YEAR OLD GAME (I think they win the prize on this one). Super Tecmo Bowl may come out for the Wii (as much as the other systems), and you have Itagaki hinting at some support ala Ninja Gaiden DS.

On the Western side, EA sorta knows what they're doing. They've put more effort into their ports than any other western developer so far. UbiSoft has more games on the system than Nintendo, but nearly all of them suck ass. The only silver lining is that Ancel seems to be a Nintendo/Wii fan, and he's been pretty silent for a while. Hopefully they're letting him do BGE2. Activision will make big bucks with Guitar Hero III, but they're a company that doesn't do many interesting things either.

So what's left? There's Eidos, rumored to be creating a good-looking "Zelda" style game from the ground up. Midway's right behind UbiSoft as the most clueless third party. It takes a long time to make games for any system, so when the Wii really was taking off earlier this year, it probably meant we won't see games until 2009.

Good analysis....... Next week FF CC

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You're forgetting THQ and Take-Two.

For THQ, de Blob holds promise and the Wii version of WWE Smackdown vs Raw looks like a decent version. Take-Two is a mixed bag, we're getting both Carnival Games (yuck) and Manhunt 2 (yay) so they're a mixed bag at this point.

AniHawk

ZealousD said:
^You're forgetting THQ^

de Blob holds promise and the Wii version of WWE Smackdown vs Raw holds promise.

I knew I was forgetting something.

THQ is generally worthless. Their wrestling port will be as uninteresting as previous installments, I imagine. I haven't seen de Blob, but it sounds like one of those things people latch onto though all signs point to Suck ala Red Steel, Sudeki, and Lair.

rakka

de Blob holds promise and the Wii version of WWE Smackdown vs Raw holds promise.

de Blob looks good. Not too sure about WWE though, it looks horrible.

I haven't seen de Blob, but it sounds like one of those things people latch onto though all signs point to Suck ala Red Steel, Sudeki, and Lair.

Quite the opposite... not many ppl are paying attention to it at all, but it seems decent. (started out as a student project)

And speaking of Red Steel, I'm looking forward to seeing what the sequels like.

Evlar

Banned
I'm hoping for announcements from smaller houses like Atlus, Level 5, Nippon Ichi (yeah right) and Double Fine.

MP8 showing very strong legs indeed.

MnG is staying strong as well, it could reach 400-500.000 LTD.

Casual games do sell.

Haunted One said:
:lol I keep telling you. It's good.
Does this guy even own a Wii?

edit:

referring to Defuser

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
AniHawk said:
I haven't seen de Blob, but it sounds like one of those things people latch onto though all signs point to Suck ala Red Steel, Sudeki, and Lair.

I think that more accurately portrays Dragon Blade. We haven't really seen enough of de Blob, but it's based off a successful indie game.

I also completed my thought in my last post by bringing up Take-Two. Carnival Games, Manhunt 2, Table Tennis, The Bigs, they're all over the place. Apart from The Bigs their sports support has been non-existent. They said something about coming up with a new Wii/DS strategy in a recent conference call so we'll see where that ends up.

ethelred

ZealousD said:
I think that more accurately portrays Dragon Blade. We haven't really seen enough of de Blob, but it's based off a successful indie game.

I also completed my thought in my last post by bringing up Take-Two. Carnival Games, Manhunt 2, Table Tennis, The Bigs, they're all over the place. Apart from The Bigs their sports support has been non-existent. They said something about coming up with a new Wii/DS strategy in a recent conference call so we'll see where that ends up.

I imagine Take 2 will follow a similar path as Ubisoft and EA in laying out a "new Wii/DS strategy" in which a strategy of "Oh, fuck, what do we have that we can port?" gradually evolves into "Which lowest common denominator is the easiest to sucker?"

AniHawk

I forgot about LucasArts. Everyone should be ashamed of them the most. Not only don't they have an original Star Wars for the thing officially announced yet, but none of their DS efforts consist of their PC adventure games. BIOWARE is putting out more worthwhile shit on the DS, AND THEY ONLY HAVE TWO GAMES COMING.

Rlan

Wow, DK: Jungle Climber sold MORE in the second week than the first? Dizzy stuff.

I'll definitely be buying the game when it comes out in English. The original was short, but I enjoyed it quite a lot.

Weisheit

ZealousD said:

They've got Bully as well.

I like Red Steel. I thought the first Yakuza boss' level with the creepy drag queens and men in green lizard suits were awesome. I wish the dark level, where you had to turn the power on was a bit longer.

Tideas

Banned
ethelred said:
Don't forget while you're choking on your laughter that a third party Wii game has outsold every single PS3 game in Japan. So be sure to also get a hearty chuckle at the lack of any sales, third party or otherwise, for the PS3.

What 3rd party sales in japan has beaten every single PS3 game that doesn't have the word Square and Enix in it?

Tideas said:
What 3rd party sales in japan has beaten every single PS3 game that doesn't have the word Square and Enix in it?
fikdu.jpg

Go Away

apujanata

Tideas said:

Should we also remove bandai namco (top third party publisher for PS3) from PS3 third party list ?
If yes, then it is :
Dragon Ball Z Sparking Neo (Bandai Namco, Wii) : 157,784, up to 1-Jul-07
vs.
Virtua Fighter 5 (Sega Sammy, PS3) : 89,146, up to 1-Jul-07

Lobster

Banned
Tideas said:

Well apart from Gundam all 3rd party Wii games have sold better then Ps3 3rd party games.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
apujanata said:
Should we also remove bandai namco (top third party publisher for PS3) from PS3 third party list ?
If yes, then it is :
Dragon Ball Z Sparking Neo (Bandai Namco, Wii) : 157,784, up to 1-Jul-07
vs.
Virtua Fighter 5 (Sega Sammy, PS3) : 89,146, up to 1-Jul-07
But then we gotta remove Bandai-Namco from the Wii list, but then Wii still wins. :lol What a sad conversation this is, on multiple levels.

AniHawk

Tideas said:

WHO GIVES A FUCK WHEN NOTHING SELLS ON THE FUCKING PLAYSTATION 3.

ethelred

Tideas said:

Right, right, I forgot Nintendo bought Square Enix.

So I guess you agree that Final Fantasy XIII's sales are irrelevant for the PS3 now, right? We can discount any increase in hardware sales as a result of that game, and we can ignore its sales entirely.

tehbear

Oh man! A rare moment where 2 Wii fans argue about how much they should laugh at the competition... but soon replaced by the united laughter at Sony's sad state of affairs :(

Like all moments of vulnerability for the Wii, it is just a temporary blip in the Nintendomination Train.

Tideas

Banned
Xisiqomelir said:
Are we not meant to count them as a 3rd party any more? :lol

No, they are 3rd party, but they are like Gods to Japan. I just want to know besides them, what other 3rd party in Japan has done well comparatively with 1st party nintendo games.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Tideas said:
No, they are 3rd party, but they are like Gods to Japan. I just want to know besides them, what other 3rd party in Japan has done well comparatively with 1st party nintendo games.

Does it even matter anymore dude?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Tideas said:

Oh ho ho, how quaint, just do us a favour and just leave these threads for people who have a fucking clue, please? thanks,

Anyway, MP8 sales up for the last 2 weeks in a row? the game is a monster, will it be the highest selling MP game ever? scary.

MnG is dropping slower than expected, fully deserved too, it's a fantastic game and I can't wait for it to hit the UK, also, around 70k Wii, 18k PS3 this week i reckon.

maxmars

Dragona Akehi said:
I really don't get the hate for Mario Party games: they're amazing multiplayer titles, and are great for n00bs and nerds alike. The only caveat I have is that I'd never buy all of them: I only have Mario Party 6, and will probably pass on the next few Mario Parties until something "big" happens (or my mates and I get completely sick of the boards in 6).

Agreed on all counts.. That's the correct way of approaching the franchise.

What I like most about it is that it has something for everyone.. I can choose "easy minigames only" and have a blast with the kids, go to the "extra" section for a few sessions with more fleshed out games (and no board whatsoever, like the mini-moto thing), play a board using teams (e.g. men vs. women) or unique persons, etc.

I wouldn't buy a console for the game, or even buy the game every other year, but it does succeed in entertaining people.

AniHawk said:
WHO GIVES A FUCK WHEN NOTHING SELLS ON THE FUCKING PLAYSTATION 3.
Its not like they sell that much on Wii either.

Its like DS-PSP 2005, people arguing PSP 3rd party games sell better than DS ones, DS ones sell better than PSP launch-titles excluded...

You know, both were selling shit. Like Wii-PS3 now. In the end DS has pulled good sales for 3rd parties, and it won't take much to guess correctly the one that will pull good sales for 3rd parties in a future in the Wii-PS3 battle.

PD: I guess I can say I'm back finally.......btw next-gen has been delayed for me another 6 months thanks to this new pc :(

ethelred said:

So I guess you agree that Final Fantasy XIII's sales are irrelevant for the PS3 now, right? We can discount any increase in hardware sales as a result of that game, and we can ignore its sales entirely.
Not irrelevant, maybe inconsequential is the better word?

It's not a dig, but the likelyhood of it being one of the lower selling Final Fantasy's is high. But then again we've never seen, aside from handheld ports, how a mainline Final Fantasy performs on the lesser selling hardware. It could jump hardware sales through the roof, or could perform like a Mario Sunshine and just not sell as well as it's predecessors.

Which is why it will be interesting to see how Square-Enix support for the Wii changes from TGS and on. I expect quite a bit from them, I don't think FFXIII will release anywhere else but the PS3, but after that depending on it's success it's an open game. They might find that their fanbase is PS3 heavy, and FFXIII sells to the vast majority of the userbase, or they sell less then previous titles.

I'd call myself a Wiitard (I guess) but I don't have it in for Sony in any other way then I won't be buying their platform. Sales-Age isn't bragging rights to me, pretty much just a game. It's like pick a number, except without the homoerotic pretext.

AniHawk

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

I bolded "Nothing" for a reason. HSG is doing good as far as attach ratios go, but within the series it's a fucking failure.

ethelred said:

Given the steady drop the series has suffered, a mainline FF likely won't be enough to save the still pricey PS3. At least not alone.

AniHawk

cartman414 said:
Given the steady drop the series has suffered, a mainline FF likely won't be enough to save the still pricey PS3. At least not alone.

The PS3 is dead in Japan, along with the Playstation brand. There's nothing that will bring it back- it's true, but what ethelred was saying was what will probably be the biggest selling game on the system can be completely ignored just because Square Enix made it.

AniHawk said:
The PS3 is dead in Japan, along with the Playstation brand. There's nothing that will bring it back- it's true, but what ethelred was saying was what will probably be the biggest selling game on the system can be completely ignored just because Square Enix made it.

Ignored in the "it figures because it's a major SE title" sense?

tehbear

Thunder Monkey said:
Sales-Age isn't bragging rights to me, pretty much just a game. It's like pick a number, except without the homoerotic pretext.

Firstly it's a measure of how many people share your taste. Secondly it empowers winning console factions against others. And lastly, it's good for gambling, but using faith and hope will often net you bad results to be mocked by others :).

tehbear said:
Firstly it's a measure of how many people share your taste. Secondly it empowers winning console factions against others. And lastly, it's good for gambling, but using faith and hope will often net you bad results to be mocked by others :).
That's actually kind of sad. :(

Still always a fun read when Anihawk and ethel get involved.:D

HylianTom

Banned
moku said:
I laugh every sales thread we see.

I stated very early on that this gen we could see some very big third-parties grow weak, or almost die off, while some smaller, or new devs become massive on the back of the Wii.

Third-parties are so damn stupid right now, a bunch of them deserve to get wiped out.

Look at the sheer domination of the DS/Wii in the charts. You see it in Japan, U.S., Canada, U.K. Germany, e.t.c. I wonder why all the major third-party devs haven't just announced every big title is coming to Nintendo platforms. A Resident Evil 5 port should have been announced 3months ago.

Just baffles me. Oh well. It is REALLY starting to look like Nintendo doesn't need a single third-party this generation to completely destroy the competition. Third-parties better start making inroads, or they will have to go up against Nintendo made games, at their strongest, and they may get overlooked in favor of Nintendo made games in the same genre.

<3

The goody-goody gamer angel on my left shoulder tells me to hope that all decent third-party developers do well financially.

But the bitter fanman on my right shoulder
(who looks like Jon Lovitz in a red Tingle outfit.. like Mephistopheles on SNL)
says he'll laugh heartily at each stupid 3rd party that meets its self-destruction. :D

AniHawk

AnimeTheme said:
Are you serious...? How do you define "dead"?

Dead in the same sense that the "Nintendo" brand was dead in the West for the last 7 years or so. Many people looked for Donkey Kong and SMB in collections for the PS2 and Xbox. Many people don't know the Wii is a Nintendo system. They had to reinvent themselves (sorta) to get noticed again.

The Playstation brand will have been around 16 years or so when Sony announces the next system. I say get rid of Playstation and start completely fresh. Same name and controller for nearly two decades definitely won't fly.

Nolan.

I don't usually read sales theads much. However I just wanted to know why some people are so convinced the ps3 is dead in Japan and in some instances ''even the brand''. If they were dead would they not be selling much less software of popular franchises. As in if something was indeed dead wouldn't it's best be trending as good as the rest of software.

AniHawk said:
Dead in the same sense that the "Nintendo" brand was dead in the West for the last 7 years or so. Many people looked for Donkey Kong and SMB in collections for the PS2 and Xbox. Many people don't know the Wii is a Nintendo system. They had to reinvent themselves (sorta) to get noticed again.

The Playstation brand will have been around 16 years or so when Sony announces the next system. I say get rid of Playstation and start completely fresh. Same name and controller for nearly two decades definitely won't fly.

What.? The wii at least over here and at almost any retailer you go to and advert you see is marketed as the ''Nintendo Wii'' same with the Ds. So exactly what reinvention have they been doing in terms of branding to get away from their nintendo name that sony needs to mimic. I don't claim to know a lot about anything but even that sounds stupid to me. Throw away a bran that so many people have grown up with an feel a bit reminicent about.? Thats what nintendo markets towards.

toxk_02

Black Republican
AnimeTheme said:
Are you serious...? How do you define "dead"?
Nolan. said:
I don't usually read sales theads much. However I just wanted to know why some people are so convinced the ps3 is dead in Japan and in some instances ''even the brand''. If they were dead would they not be selling much less software of popular franchises. As in if something was indeed dead wouldn't it's best be trending as good as the rest of software.
JoshuaJSlone said:
PS3 comparisons: At 40 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 4.6 weeks (March 29, 2000), where PSP was at 15.0 weeks (March 20, 2005), where GCN was at 17.0 weeks (January 5, 2002), and where Wii was at 5.7 weeks (January 5, 2007).
Was the Gamecube considered dead? Because if it takes the PS3 more than twice the amount of time to match a dead console's sales (to that point) it's probably dead too. I mean, we're dealing with a PS2-vs.-GCN-type gap from last generation - except to a larger extreme. The Wii is tracking ahead of the PS2 at the same console age while the PS3 tracks below GCN, and we know how that matchup went.

legend166

Nolan. said:

What.? The wii at least over here and at almost any retailer you go to and advert you see is marketed as the ''Nintendo Wii'' same with the Ds. So exactly what reinvention have they been doing in terms of branding to get away from their nintendo name that sony needs to mimic. I don't claim to know a lot about anything but even that sounds stupid to me. Throw away a bran that so many people have grown up with an feel a bit reminicent about.? Thats what nintendo markets towards.

Please tell me English is not your first language.

apujanata

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Its like DS-PSP 2005, people arguing PSP 3rd party games sell better than DS ones, DS ones sell better than PSP launch-titles excluded...

You know, both were selling shit. Like Wii-PS3 now. In the end DS has pulled good sales for 3rd parties, and it won't take much to guess correctly the one that will pull good sales for 3rd parties in a future in the Wii-PS3 battle.

PD: I guess I can say I'm back finally.......btw next-gen has been delayed for me another 6 months thanks to this new pc :(

IMO, DS vs PSP in 2005 is much closer compared to PS3 vs Wii in 2007. At least during Jan 10 - March 20, PSP always sell more every week (compared to DS). Ever since Wii launch in Japan, PS3 NEVER has a week in which PS3> Wii. This competition is more lopsided (favoring Wii).

Parl

AniHawk said:
Well that's the logic Tideas used, which is completely absurd.

No, he has a point. Dragon Quest Swords is apart of one of the very biggest franchises in Japan, so using its sales a barometre for how well third parties can sell on Wii is what's actually absurd.

Dragon Ball Z: Sparking! Neo (Bandai) - 157,784
Naruto Shippuuden: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX (Takara Tomy) (2/22/07) - 97,123
One Piece Unlimited Adventure (Bandai) - 95,203
Resident Evil 4 Wii (Capcom) - 93,360

The top three are anime games, which are bound to sell, and RE4 is a good game, so its bound to sell.

Nolan.

toxk_02 said:
Was the Gamecube considered dead? Because if it takes the PS3 more than twice the amount of time to match a dead console's sales (to that point) it's probably dead too. I mean, we're dealing with a PS2-vs.-GCN-type gap from last generation - except to a larger extreme. The Wii is tracking ahead of the PS2 at the same console age while the PS3 tracks below GCN, and we know how that matchup went.

So you guys are comparing a console recently put out to trends of a console thats not too long ago been more or less discontinued after 5 years. A console that suffered from a collection of things Sony doesn't have to worry about. How do you arrive at knowing or claiming what the results will be with a perception based on the results of one company's treating of a past product and a completely different one at that. Is that just based on start off numbers.? As in why is it completely impossible for other factors to be in play here that just wasn't last generation.

And I know people might read this and retort with lol smileys and the rest. Accompanied with ''they said that about the gamecube too''. Though i'm just bewildered by all the analysts in the making so convinced that reading a couple sales threads gives them a clear insight into the future. And things always turn out the way they start off. It may well turn out as people are saying and the console doesn't ever pick up much. However I just think if predicting were that easy don't you think shareholders would have clapped onto just how much past and current trends correlate and jump ship earlier than they would without them. There are no rules. Business is hardly ever straight forward.

legend166 said:
Please tell me English is not your first language.

If you must know it's not but just for future reference what is wrong with it so I can correct myself.

Frillen

Nintendo games doesn't count.
Square Enix games doesn't count.
Mario games doesn't count.
RPGs doesn't count.
Tamagotchi doesn't count.
Non games doesn't count.
Ports doesn't count.
Remakes doesn't count.

Something I forgot?

Top Bottom