• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Aug 10-16, 2009

schuelma said:
On another note I'm usually immune to niche Wii games bombing in Japan but I'm going to be a sad Sales Ager in a few weeks when Little King's Story tanks. I love that game :(

If it makes you feel any better, I've ordered LKS and it's on its way.

test_account

XP-39C²
sphinx said:
oh, absolutely.

There is room for further MH3 debate since no other game (as far as I remember) ever has had this kind of success and at the same time had its price reduced/collapsed. That's as weird as it gets for sales-age followers.
Metal Gear Solid 4 had some early price drops (after 2-3 weeks after the release i think) if i remember correctly. I dont think that the price drop was as much as we saw in some stores with MH3 though (the lowest for MH3 was 2980 yen or so i think?), but i think that the price for MGS4 was reduced relatively quick at least. And MGS4 sold less in Japan than what MH3 has done so far, but both MH3 and MGS4 sold many copies at least. But ye, maybe it isnt that common that games with good success gets a price drop that quickly.

sphinx said:
but thinking about it. Does it matter how fast a game sells? I mean, if instead of reaching the one Million copies sold in the first month, it reaches that number a couple of months later? Isn't it the same? it is not like MH3 would have sold 3 million if the game had reached the 1 million faster. Is my way of thinking flawed? not sure.

If capcoms expectations are to sell 2 million worldwide life to date, after all is said and done, I think they are on their way there, just slower than they thought. How does that make MH3 a failure? curious to hear some opinions.
I think that this is a good question. If the price of the game (in this case with MH3) remains pretty much the same, then i dont think it matters too much for Capcom if it takes 1 month or 3 months to sell one million copies. If the stores has to drop the price to be able to sell 1 million copies, then this might result in that the stores orders fewer copies when the next Monster Hunter game for the Wii comes out. This is the only thing i can think of why it should matter if it takes 1 month or 3 months to sell 1 million copies of MH3 at least.

But if the stores orderes 1 million copies of the next Monster Hunter game for the Wii (if there will be another MH game for the Wii) even if they had to drop the price on MH3 to be able to sell 1 million copies, then i dont think that it matters if it takes 1 month or 3 months to sell 1 million copies of MH3 :) And if the stores should order less than 1 million copies of the next MH game for the Wii, and if they stores sees that there is a big demand for the game, then i guess that they always can order more copies.

I guess that we can say that a game would be more successful if it sells 1 million copies in only 1 month compared to if it sells one million copies in 3 months. But on the other hand, if it sells 1 million copies in 3 months, then we might say that the game is also successful (or maybe even perhaps more successful?) because it has some good legs.

So the only reason why i can see why should matter why it takes 1 month or 3 months to sell 1 million copies of MH3 regarding its success is if the stores in general would have to drop the price much to be able to sell 1 million copies. But if there isnt a heavy price drop, then i personally cant think of any reason why it should matter if it takes 1 month or 3 months to sell 1 million copies of MH3.

Jokeropia said:
Oh, for some reason i thought that the standalone version of MH3 sold much more. Maybe i mixed up the standalone numbers with the CC Pro bundle numbers, sorry. Thanks for posting these numbers :) Then i withdraw what i said earlier regarding that maybe there were soold about 500k copies of the standalone version of MH3. Going by the first week Media Create numbers that you posted, then i would guess that maybe 250k-300k copies of the standalone version of MH3 that is sold by now? If this is the case, then it is still a relatively good sales number for the standalone version, at least in my opinion :)

markatisu

test_account said:
I think that this is a good question. If the price of the game (in this case with MH3) remains pretty much the same, then i dont think it matters too much for Capcom if it takes 1 month or 3 months to sell one million copies. If the stores has to drop the price to be able to sell 1 million copies, then this might result in that the stores orders fewer copies when the next Monster Hunter game for the Wii comes out. This is the only thing i can think of why it should matter if it takes 1 month or 3 months to sell 1 million copies of MH3 at least.

They should have never ordered 1m to begin with, there was no proof whatsoever that they could move that many when you look at just the console in a vacuum. It would have been an impressing pissing contest moment if it had shifted everything in the first two weeks, but I do not understand how selling under 250k of MHG on the Wii and every console version being under 800k said SURE ship 1m.

What is ironic is if they had shipped say 750k, we would probably be questioning what would have happened if they had shipped more.

But if the stores orderes 1 million copies of the next Monster Hunter game for the Wii (if there will be another MH game for the Wii) even if they had to drop the price on MH3 to be able to sell 1 million copies, then i dont think that it matters if it takes 1 month or 3 months to sell 1 million copies of MH3 :) And if the stores should order less than 1 million copies of the next MH game for the Wii, and if they stores sees that there is a big demand for the game, then i guess that they always can order more copies.

I think we will see another MH on Wii, it might be multiplatform with the PS3 (just given Capcoms recent game announcement) but as long as they can squeeze a console version out while they make the PSP editions we should see it still exist on the Wii.

Selling the LTD of any MH console game in under 4 weeks probably makes it kinda hard to argue for abandoning the platform

test_account

XP-39C²
markatisu said:
They should have never ordered 1m to begin with, there was no proof whatsoever that they could move that many when you look at just the console in a vacuum. It would have been an impressing pissing contest moment if it had shifted everything in the first two weeks, but I do not understand how selling under 250k of MHG on the Wii and every console version being under 800k said SURE ship 1m.
Ye, i think that this is a good point. I guess that many stores saw the increase interest in Monster Hunter (although it was on a portable system (PSP) though) and then thought that MH3 would also be really popular. This is true though, MH3 has sold pretty good so far, which shows that the game is popular. But ye, if the stores have ordered less copies, then maybe some stores wouldnt have needed to drop the price on MH3, i agree.

Regarding how MHG on the Wii sold, maybe the stores thought that MHG's sales wouldnt really show how MH3 would sell, seeing that MHG for the Wii is a port of an older PS2 game while MH3 is a brand new Monster Hunter game, but that is just a guess from my side :)

markatisu said:
What is ironic is if they had shipped say 750k, we would probably be questioning what would have happened if they had shipped more.
Ye, probably :) Unless that there was a 2nd shipment of MH3 that was coming to the store fast, so that the stores could quickly re-stock on MH3 :)

markatisu said:
I think we will see another MH on Wii, it might be multiplatform with the PS3 (just given Capcoms recent game announcement) but as long as they can squeeze a console version out while they make the PSP editions we should see it still exist on the Wii.

Selling the LTD of any MH console game in under 4 weeks probably makes it kinda hard to argue for abandoning the platform
Ye, i didnt mean to say that Capcom will be abandoing the Wii if they should make a new Monster Hunter game for a console (or consoles). MH3 has sold pretty good on the Wii so far, so i dont think that there are many reasons for Capcom to abandon the Wii regarding a new Monster Hunter game. I should have written what i ment a bit better in my previous post, sorry.

I was mostly thinking that maybe the next generation of consoles (the PS4, the Wii 2 and the Xbox 720) had started when the next console MH game was coming, and maybe that Capcom would make the next console MH game for some of these consoles instead. But in afterthought, there might be like 3-4 years before the next generation of consoles are being released, for some reason i first thought that it wasnt as long as 3-4 years. So there might be a rather big chance that we will see another console MH game in this console generation indeed :)

Speaking about MH for the PS3 i am curious if Capcom will take the advantage of the MH PSP popularity and somehow implement this into a Monster Hunter game for the PS3. It is possible for the PSP to interact with the PS3 (there is also possible for the DS to interact with the Wii also i think), and i wonder if the MH PSP popularity could be transfered to some extend to a PS3 version if Capcom makes som pretty cool PSP and PS3 interaction.

markatisu

test_account said:
Ye, i think that this is a good point. I guess that many stores saw the increase interest in Monster Hunter (although it was on a portable system (PSP) though) and then thought that MH3 would also be really popular. This is true though, MH3 has sold pretty good so far, which shows that the game is popular. But ye, if the stores have ordered less copies, then maybe some stores wouldnt have needed to drop the price on MH3, i agree.

Regarding how MHG on the Wii sold, maybe the stores thought that MHG's sales wouldnt really show how MH3 would sell, seeing that MHG for the Wii is a port of an older PS2 game while MH3 is a brand new Monster Hunter game, but that is just a guess from my side :)

Its hard to say, but what MHG should have done was shown retailers what works and what does not as far as bundles vs standalone. It was almost identical when MH3 hit, that coupled with the high shipment was if nothing else a learning experience I think.

I was mostly thinking that maybe the next generation of consoles (the PS4, the Wii 2 and the Xbox 720) had started when the next console MH game was coming, and maybe that Capcom would make the next console MH game for some of these consoles instead. But in afterthought, there might be like 3-4 years before the next generation of consoles are being released, for some reason i first thought that it wasnt as long as 3-4 years. So there might be a rather big chance that we will see another console MH game in this console generation indeed :)

I would think we would see MH3G Wii come out before this gen is over. I am not sure if we will see a MH4 or anything of that big nature till next gen since Capcom could whore MH3, MHP3, MH3G and MH3PG for quite a long time.

Speaking about MH for the PS3 i am curious if Capcom will take the advantage of the MH PSP popularity and somehow implement this into a Monster Hunter game for the PS3. It is possible for the PSP to interact with the PS3 (there is also possible for the DS to interact with the Wii also i think), and i wonder if the MH PSP popularity could be transfered to some extend to a PS3 version if Capcom makes som pretty cool PSP and PS3 interaction.

They have limited interaction as of right now, mainly you can unlock things and remote play, as well as I think do online play using the PS3 as a bridge.

donny2112

markatisu said:

What interesting reasoning.

test_account

XP-39C²
markatisu said:
Its hard to say, but what MHG should have done was shown retailers what works and what does not as far as bundles vs standalone. It was almost identical when MH3 hit, that coupled with the high shipment was if nothing else a learning experience I think.
Maybe the stores thought that many people bought the MHG for the Wii CC bundle instead of the standalone version because MHG can only be played with a CC controller, and that the CC controller that were included. But ye, it is hard to say as you say, i agree.

markatisu said:
I would think we would see MH3G Wii come out before this gen is over. I am not sure if we will see a MH4 or anything of that big nature till next gen since Capcom could whore MH3, MHP3, MH3G and MH3PG for quite a long time.
Ye, MH3G will probably be released for the Wii. It was about 3 years between MH2 and MH3, so if it is 3 years until MH4 comes out, then MH4 not make it out in this console generation, but maybe this console generation will last for 5 more years or so, and then maybe MH4 will come out in this console generation, but we will see what happends :)

markatisu said:
They have limited interaction as of right now, mainly you can unlock things and remote play, as well as I think do online play using the PS3 as a bridge.
I guess it depends on how you mean with "limited". Unlocking things, remote play and online play using the PS3 as a bridge as you say, isnt this pretty much all that is ndeed for a good PSP and PS3 interaction regarding a Monster Hunter game?

For example that you could transfer your character from the PSP version to the PS3 version and/or from the PS3 version to the PSP (i guess that this kinda goes under the category of "unlocking stuff"). Exclusive items in both of the PSP and the PS3 version that could be transfered from each version (if you want all the items, then you would have to buy both versions). Remote play so you can play the game on the PSP, so the PS3 version becomes portable. And perhaps make online play so both the PSP version and the PS3 version could play together (if this is possible. Is is this what you mean with limited interactions, if it isnt possible to play the PSP version and the PS3 version together with eachother?).

What other things could be needed with a PSP and PS3 interaction regarding a Monster Hunter game?

EDIT: I added some text.

jesusraz

Strange how the leak is so limited this week...

Considering how well Friend Collection is doing, I wonder if Nintendo will fast-track it for a Western release. 'Nintendo Presents Style Boutique' (or Style Savvy in the US) is out in EU soon, but took quite a while to be localised...hopefully Friend Collection won't take quite as long.

Considering this number:

donny2112 said:
Media Create Jul 27-Aug 2

01./00. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) - 520,138 / NEW

And considering these numbers:

Jokeropia said:
Total week 1 sellthrough according to Media Create:

CCPro bundles: ~348k / 497k
Standalone game: ~174k / 435k
Black Wii bundle: ~20k / 25k
All SKUs: 542k / 957k

It seems that the first number did not include the MH3 sold from Black Wii bundles so the gap with Famitsu number for MH3 is now about 40 k only...

donny2112

jesusraz said:
Strange how the leak is so limited this week...

That would be because the real leak hasn't happened, yet. That's just the public Famitsu Top 10 (w/o numbers) combined with sinobi's blog.

test_account

XP-39C²
oldie-newbie said:
Considering this number:

And considering these numbers:

It seems that the first number did not include the MH3 sold from Black Wii bundles so the gap with Famitsu number for MH3 is now about 40 k only...
Those Media Create numbers should include the Black Wii bundle i think. The numbers says "Black Wii bundle: ~20k / 25k" at least. The "one week sellthrough" should be for the 2 first days that Monster Hunter 3 was out for if i am not mistaken.

test_account said:
Those Media Create numbers should include the Black Wii bundle i think. The numbers says "Black Wii bundle: ~20k / 25k" at least. The "one week sellthrough" should be for the 2 first days that Monster Hunter 3 was out for if i am not mistaken.

It seems that there are some discrepancies in Media Create numbers. I agree that the first week is only 2 days.

The Media create sales for Jul 27-Aug 02 concerning MH3 are 520k but this number seems to be the addition of CCPro bundles (348k) + Standalone version (174k), ie, 522k.

The MH3 from the Black Wii bundle (20k) seems to be not incorporated in this Media Create number.

Moreover, according to these data, 957k of MH3 were shipped for Media Create. I think that Famitsu number was calculated for a shipment over 1000k. So, in spite of the discrepancies between Famitsu and Media Create numbers for MH3, it would be possible that the sell-rate of MH3 is the same for these two trackers but the observed differences could be only due to the estimation of MH3 shipment !!!

donny2112

Famitsu Aug 3-16

01./00. [PS2] SD Gundam G Generation Wars (Namco Bandai Games) - 252,220 / NEW
02./02. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix) - 227,653 / 3,617,883 (+32%)
03./03. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) - 215,442 / 698,983 (+176%)
04./01. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) - 210,059 / 792,607 (-64%)
05./00. [PSP] Tales of Versus (Namco Bandai Games) - 187,040 / NEW
06./04. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 176,950 / 970,966 (+201%)
07./00. [PS2] Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes (Namco Bandai Games) - 70,802 / NEW
08./05. [NDS] Puyo Puyo 7 (SEGA) - 54,746 / 106,120 (+7%)
09./00. [NDS] Color Changing Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love (Nintendo) - 54,591 / NEW
10./00. [PS2] J-League Winning Eleven 2009 Club Championship (Konami) - 52,414 / NEW

11./11. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom) - 52,135 / 922,373 (+143%)
12./00. [NDS] Blood of Bahamut (Square Enix) - 51,674 / NEW
13./00. [360] Magna Carta 2 (Namco Bandai Games) - 47,145 / NEW
14./00. [WII] SD Gundam G Generation Wars (Namco Bandai Games) - 40,613 / NEW
15./12. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai X: Tenkuu no 7 Senshi (A Penguin's Troubles X: 7 Warriors of the Sky) (Konami) - 30,098 / 105,855 (+54%)
16./10. [NDS] Welcome Home! Chibi-Robo! Happy Rich Big Cleaning! (Nintendo) - 25,135 / 91,522 (-4%)
17./07. [PSP] Armored Core 3 Portable (From Software) - 18,461 / 56,693 (-52%)
18./18. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 18,398 / 3,498,572 (+102%)
19./00. [NDS] Bleach DS 4th: Flame Bringer (SEGA) - 16,018 / NEW
20./15. [PS2] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami) - 14,928 / 96,934 (+24%)
21./00. [WII] EA Sports Active: Personal Trainer Wii: 30-Day Lifestyle Reform Program (Electronic Arts Victor) - 14,116 / NEW
22./26. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 13,678 / 2,308,282 (+147%)
23./08. [PS2] Hisshou Pachinko*Pachi-Slot Kouryoku Series Vol. 14 CR Shinseiki Evangelion: Saigo no Shimono (D3 Publisher) - 12,239 / 49,973 (-68%)
24./20. [PSP] Boku no Natsuyasumi 4 (My Summer Vacation 4): Youth Detective Group in Seto - Me and the Secret Map (SCEI) - 12,199 / 122,562 (+50%)
25./29. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) - 12,162 / 1,787,395 (+123%)
26./25. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 11,429 / 2,473,801 (+80%)
27./16. [PS3] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami) - 11,198 / 116,084 (+8%)
28./00. [PS3] Red Faction: Guerilla (Spike) - 10,631 / NEW
29./06. [360] Gears of War 2 (Microsoft Game Studios) - 10,407 / 58,341 (-78%)
30./00. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) - 10,193 / 3,487,481

Bar Chart Aug 3-16 (thanks to JoshuaJSlone/garaph.info)

2009-08-03

Note: Image may be delayed from the time of this post, but will automatically show once the data is ready.

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

July 13-19, 2009
Jul 20-26, 2009
Jul 27-Aug 2, 2009

sphinx

the piano man
donny2112 said:
Famitsu Aug 3-16

Data

I have always wondered, Why not put Famitsu data in famitsu threads? when Famitsu data from Aug 3-16 is put in a Media create thread for Aug 10-16 I can't help to think that some weird info is just being tacked on. No offense, just an impresion, I guess all sales-agers are used to it.

donny2112

sphinx said:
I have always wondered, Why not put Famitsu data in famitsu threads?

The Famitsu threads are for the weekly magazine information. The Media Create threads are for the weekly Japanese sales information. Notice that Dengeki sales are also often posted in the MC threads. At least with the earlier Famitsu release, Famitsu data in a thread can now match the Media Create end date. :)

Dalthien

donny2112 said:
If some bundles are actually sold out, there will probably be more shipments of those bundles. In that case with the poorly selling SKUs being discounted to clear stock, it should sell more than its first shipment this year.
If I had to guess, I would say that both the bundled SKU (assuming that it wasn't some sort of limited-time only offer) and the standalone SKU will eventually end up higher than their initial shipments.

Monster Hunter is a premier brand in Japan. Very similar to Mario in that respect. Someone correct me if I'm wrong (I'm just going off of memory), but Mario Galaxy opened with something like 250k its first week with an initial shipment of 700k. We had similar reports here on GAF about some retailers quickly discounting the price on the game, and the infamous 'price collapse' meme was in effect.

Well, here we are now, some time later, and Mario Galaxy is just about at a million in sales. So, whichever retailers ended up slashing the price to clear stock ended up having to go back and buy more stock from Nintendo at full price as soon as they had cleared their stock.

Mario Galaxy is a premier brand, and any major retailer pretty much has to carry the game when you are still only a few months out from launch. It would look silly to have to tell a customer, "Uh sorry, but we don't carry the latest Mario game". Likewise, Monster Hunter is another premier brand, and it would look just as silly for any major retailer to have to say "Uh yeah, sorry but we don't carry the newest Monster Hunter game that just came out a few months ago".

Any retailers that actually blow through their stock within the first two or three months due to discounting will have to go back and buy more new stock from Capcom. They will very likely only buy small amounts of stock, just enough to keep a token presence available. And then there will undoubtedly be some other retailers that actually judged their initial order correctly, and will have to place a follow-up shipment just as they normally would for any game that sells well.

I could see the final numbers getting up to 1.1 - 1.2 million eventually. Of course, a lot of that depends upon the other variables that could cut off sales - such as the release of the Wii Best Price version, or the PSP release.

Anyway, you get my point. There are some games that are of such a high profile, that a retailer can't simply burn through their stock in the first couple months, and then not restock the title. I believe that a new Monster Hunter release is one such title.

Grampasso

Dragona Akehi said:
I will definitely consider FFXIII a horrible failure if it cannot at least breach 1.5 million the first month.
Yes, but you must also consider that FFXIII will probably do 4-5 milions WW sales, thing that MH3 obviously won't do

Grampasso

AdventureRacing said:
I don't see how that's at all relevant to the post you quoted or this thread.
Well you're right, I should have extended my statement a bit. I mean that even if Capcom and Nintendo will try to expand the franchise overseas and make it successful also in the West, we all know it will be very difficult to do on the first attempt and maybe Capcom estimates of 2milions WW won't be met.
On the other hand FF is a brand reknown in all world, so even if it doesn't achieve 1.5 milions sales in the first month in Japan it will surely be more successful WW. I know that it isn't at all relevant to the thread, but when I read Dragona's post I thought that the things could be different for SE and Capcom if you looked at it from a different PoV.

PS: Maybe this post makes the one you quoted more relevant to the thread than your bashing one?

donny2112

Grampasso said:

Someone made the comment that they don't see how a third-party home console game selling 800K-1m in Japan could be considered a bomb. Dragona chimed in that if FFXIII sold less than 1.5m in its first month that she would consider it a "horrible failure." This is not about worldwide sales. It is about the ability to call a title a failure or not even if it sells 1 million or more.

king zell

01 [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) - 82,000 / 810,000
02 [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix) 79,000 / 3,723,000
03 [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) 51,000 / 801,000
04 [PS2] Melty Blood: Actress Again - 42,000 / NEW
05 [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 32,000 / 1,034,000
06 [PS2] SD Gundam G Generation Wars (Namco Bandai) - 26,000 / 258,000
07 [PSP] Ookami Kakushi - 22,000 / NEW
08 [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom) - 18,000 / 907,000
09 [NDS] Puyo Puyo 7 (SEGA) - 18,000 / 127,000
10 [PSP] 金色のコルダ2 f(フォルテ) アンコール 14,000/ New

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2009/08/27/37337.html

Grampasso

donny2112 said:
Someone made the comment that they don't see how a third-party home console game selling 800K-1m in Japan could be considered a bomb. Dragona chimed in that if FFXIII sold less than 1.5m in its first month that she would consider it a "horrible failure." This is not about worldwide sales. It is about the ability to call a title a failure or not even if it sells 1 million or more.
Oh, ok, I had lost this connection. Yes, I totally see this point. If we look at the 2 franchises sales history for home console in Japan I think FF would be a failure if it sells less then 2+ milion in the first month (I think all the latest releases of the series have broken this number in 2 weeks, or even in the release week), while MH3 is a clear success, managing to outsold every previous home iteration after a month.
(Sorry to bump this thread with the new Media Create thread out but it sounded weird to post there)

Jokeropia

oldie-newbie said:
It seems that there are some discrepancies in Media Create numbers. I agree that the first week is only 2 days.

The Media create sales for Jul 27-Aug 02 concerning MH3 are 520k but this number seems to be the addition of CCPro bundles (348k) + Standalone version (174k), ie, 522k.

The MH3 from the Black Wii bundle (20k) seems to be not incorporated in this Media Create number.
Don't take my breakdown numbers too literally. They were calculated from individual SKU sell-through and sales-ratio data Media Create revealed in their weekly comment.

See complete calculation here.
oldie-newbie said:
Moreover, according to these data, 957k of MH3 were shipped for Media Create. I think that Famitsu number was calculated for a shipment over 1000k. So, in spite of the discrepancies between Famitsu and Media Create numbers for MH3, it would be possible that the sell-rate of MH3 is the same for these two trackers but the observed differences could be only due to the estimation of MH3 shipment !!!
This is completely correct, however. Media Create reported 520k sold first week for a total sell-through of 54.36%, which suggests that the initial shipment was ~957k.

Top Bottom