• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Aug 10-16, 2009

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
Was there not a thread where 28 or 29 of the top 30 were DS titles as well? :p

In Media-Create, the highest it got to was 23 twice. February 5-11, 2007 and July 2-8, 2007.

In 2009, the highest it's gotten to was 16 twice. June 15-21 and July 13-19.

apujanata

donny2112 said:
In Media-Create, the highest it got to was 23 twice. February 5-11, 2007 and July 2-8, 2007.

In 2009, the highest it's gotten to was 16 twice. June 15-21 and July 13-19.

I think Stumpokapow meant 28 or 29 out of Top 30 was Nintendo Platform (Wii + DS), not DS only. I think I remembered seeing a mention of something like that (or possibly only 27 out of 30).

donny2112

apujanata said:
I think Stumpokapow meant 28 or 29 out of Top 30 was Nintendo Platform (Wii + DS), not DS only. I think I remembered seeing a mention of something like that (or possibly only 27 out of 30).

27/30

Feb 26-Mar 4, 2007
Jul 2-8, 2007
Jul 16-22, 2007

10/10

Aug 21-27, 2006
Jan 1-7, 2007
Apr 23-29, 2007
Apr 30-May 6, 2007 (back-to-back weeks)
July 9-15, 2007
Dec 31, 2007-Jan 6, 2008
Dec 8-14, 2008

Vinnk

Wow, my thread derail got derailed. Sorry about starting the "Great Gene Debate".

I have a few baby pictures, but to avoid cluttering this even more I will just post the link.

Back on topic, went to 2 game stores today.

No price drop on MH3 at either store. Wanpaku is offering 3800 yen for a used copy so it still is holding a lot of it's trade in value but it is down a bit from last week. That said there were no used copies available at Wanpaku and only 2 (both game only) at the other store.

Used copies of DQIX are starting to crop up though. It seems not everyone cares about the online content. Still, the used copies are not much cheaper than the new ones and while I was at the store I saw a new copy being sold.

Tomodachi collection has moved to a Kiosk at one store. This is odd. Kiosks are usually for launch week(s) games and this one got almost no push on it's actual launch week.

80gb PS3s (used) are going for 27,000yen
20gb PS3s (used) are going for 38,000yen

Seems Japan still cares about the BC a bit. Wonder how much lower these will go when the Slim comes out.

That's all I got for this week.

Brofist

Vinnk said:
Wow, my thread derail got derailed. Sorry about starting the "Great Gene Debate".

I have a few baby pictures, but to avoid cluttering this even more I will just post the link.

No price drop on MH3 at either store. Wanpaku is offering 3800 yen for a used copy so it still is holding a lot of it's trade in value but it is down a bit from last week. That said there were no used copies available at Wanpaku and only 2 (both game only) at the other store.

Used copies of DQX are starting to crop up though. It seems not everyone cares about the online content. Still, the used copies are not much cheaper than the new ones and while I was at the store I saw a new copy being sold.

Tomodachi collection has moved to a Kiosk at one store. This is odd. Kiosks are usually for launch week(s) games and this one got almost no push on it's actual launch week.

Seems Japan still cares about the BC a bit. Wonder how much lower these will go when the Slim comes out.

I saw MH3 at price ranging from 2980 yen at Sofmap up to 3990 yen at GEO and at small shops. The white controller pack was 4990 at Sofmap.

As for PS3 hardware, I've seen 40GB PS3 systems already going for the 20,000 yen range and slightly under that even, and brand new 80GB systems for as low as 27,500. Used BC PS3s seem to be increasing in numbers. This suggests people are dumping them for the upcoming slim.

Vinnk

kpop100 said:
I saw MH3 at price ranging from 2980 yen at Sofmap up to 3990 yen at GEO and at small shops. The white controller pack was 4990 at Sofmap.

Sometimes I wish I lived in a big town. We never get those super deals here. There is a GEO here in town, but the price is the same as at launch (at least it was 4 days ago).

Do any other gaffers live outside of the big cities (Tokyo, Osaka, etc.) I would love to have some more data points. I would like to see what is common for prices across Japan.

Vinnk said:
Sometimes I wish I lived in a big town. We never get those super deals here. There is a GEO here in town, but the price is the same as at launch (at least it was 4 days ago).

Do any other gaffers live outside of the big cities (Tokyo, Osaka, etc.) I would love to have some more data points. I would like to see what is common for prices across Japan.
I live in Koga, which is pretty small, but outside of Ito Yokado and SATY, there's only a GEO that I rarely get to, a Wondergoo that's about 45 minutes on foot, and a crappy used shop that's about 35 minutes' walk.

I'm close enough to Tokyo that I do pretty much all my shopping there.

Road

Busaiku said:
That's a really big drop.
After it went back up quite a bit in the last few weeks.
Might be just what people have been saying on this thread: there was a holiday last week, which makes it harder to draw any conclusion about games' long term performances (especially Nintendo related ones; I hope that's not bannable).

Then again, it's still early to say it was that only with WSR figures. Might have been shortages on that game, Famitsu adjusting their numbers etc.

Kenka

No charts yet.

I am quite nervous about the top 5 performance this week. I sincerely hope MH3 and Wii Sports Resort sold more than 30'000.

cvxfreak

I concur with kpop on the MH3 pricing at Sofmap. Technically, Sofmap is owned by Bic Camera, but still, the price drops have spread. It's not quite a universal price collapse, but it's going down at many places.

I think the black controller pack is sold out at Yodobashi stores as well, just like on the website.

I'm not enthusiastic about the game having anymore big week sales after this next week, but it should chug on for awhile. I give it half a month before it falls behind MHP2nd on the weekly charts.

donny2112

Famitsu Aug 17-23

1. NDS DQIX
2. NDS Tomodachi Collection
3. PS2 Melty Blood: Actress Again - 42K / NEW
4. WII MH3
5. WII Wii Sports Resort - 39K / 1,010K
6. PS2 SD Gundam
7. PSP Ookami Kakushi - 22K / NEW
8. PSP MHP2G (BEST)
9. NDS Puyo Puyo 7
10. PSP Tales Versus

I think the below hardware numbers are for Aug 17-23. Can anyone verify?

360 - 6.1K
PS2 - 4.4K
PS3 - 3.7K

test_account

XP-39C²
Vinnk said:

No problem about the "Great Gene Debate" in my opinion, it wasnt really that many posts regading that discussion anyway :)

Nice baby pictures by the way! :)

Vinnk said:

Used copies of DQIX are starting to crop up though. It seems not everyone cares about the online content. Still, the used copies are not much cheaper than the new ones and while I was at the store I saw a new copy being sold.

Thanks for the sales impression! :) How much does new 80GB PS3 cost? Do they still cost around 39,990 yen?

donny2112 said:
Famitsu Aug 17-23

1. NDS DQIX
4. WII MH3
6. PS2 SD Gundam
8. PSP MHP2G (BEST)
9. NDS Puyo Puyo 7
10. PSP Tales Versus

360 - 6.1K
PS2 - 4.4K
PS3 - 3.7K
DQIX and MH3 are holding up pretty good i must say :)

markatisu

donny2112 said:
Famitsu Aug 17-23

1. NDS DQIX
4. WII MH3

Nice so that puts MH3 at ~830-835k in Famitsu and about a 45% drop from previous week (72k)

Now we will get to see what kind of legs the game has since its coming down to what will probably be its base level (10-20k) if it does have legs to speak of

Cygnus X-1

donny2112 said:
Famitsu Aug 17-23

1. NDS DQIX
4. WII MH3
6. PS2 SD Gundam
8. PSP MHP2G (BEST)
9. NDS Puyo Puyo 7
10. PSP Tales Versus

360 - 6.1K
PS2 - 4.4K
PS3 - 3.7K

PS3 Slim effect probably, but boy, this remains a truly depressing number.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Jaruru said:
MH3 on track to 1 million~~~ slowly, but I think it'll happen.

Yeah, pretty decent drop off for this week considering the holiday and all that (though I'm sure it wasn't affected nearly as much as something like WSR). Now, I'm sure some of it is because of the discounting going on, but yeah, I think it will crawl to a million eventually, maybe by the end of the year but most likely sometime in 2010.

The PS3 number is going to be even worse next week. The data released this week still includes a couple of days before the Slim announcement. I can't imagine anyone buying a new PS3 until September 3rd now.

donny2112

schuelma said:
I think it will crawl to a million eventually, maybe by the end of the year but most likely sometime in 2010.

If some bundles are actually sold out, there will probably be more shipments of those bundles. In that case with the poorly selling SKUs being discounted to clear stock, it should sell more than its first shipment this year.

test_account

XP-39C²
Segata Sanshiro said:
The PS3 number is going to be even worse next week. The data released this week still includes a couple of days before the Slim announcement. I can't imagine anyone buying a new PS3 until September 3rd now.
Indeed, i wonder how low the PS3 hardware sales will be in the next week, something like 1k or 2k?

markatisu

donny2112 said:
If some bundles are actually sold out, there will probably be more shipments of those bundles. In that case with the poorly selling SKUs being discounted to clear stock, it should sell more than its first shipment this year.

Imagine what things would be like had Capcom and retailers realized the Black CC Pro Bundle was the goldmine. Though seriously after the MHG debacle anyone of us could see that coming a mile away.

I maintain if we see a price cut/clearance on the Black CC Pro bundle then we have a problem, MH fans (myself included) are notorious for loving bundles and special editions and the black one was a perfect choice

sphinx

the piano man
MH3 will always be seen as (some sort of) failure by some people because the game didn't (hasn't yet) easily sell out of the first shipment, meaning sales didn't meet Capcom's expectations.

judging by retail performance the game is an ABSOLUTE success. People thinking otherwise at this point are fooling themselves. Home console games selling those numbers in Japan are a miracle in 2009. That being said, I think every number we'll get in the next weeks for MH3 will be a good one.

MH3 is still an interesting topic here at MC beacuse people in the " go! MH3" camp want to show the naysayers that the game succeeded in every regard.

EDIT: shouldn't have quoted :D

Brofist

oldie-newbie said:
Thanks for the news.

What is the price for these used BC PS3 ? Under 20,000 yen ?

Nah they aren't going for that cheap. Still fetching around 35,000 for a 20GB to around 40,000 for a 60GB. Still they are a good 20,000 or so less than they were not long ago, and easy to find.

Prices will plummet even more though when the PS3 slims hit the shelves.

Vinnk

Brazil said:
So Monster Hunter 3 40k? Not too bad.

The one week sales of MH3 are better than most 3rd party titles sell LTD.

Still, I very clearly remember this this game was a bomba. So what do I know?

markatisu

sphinx said:
MH3 will always be seen as (some sort of) failure by some people because the game didn't (hasn't yet) easily sell out of the first shipment, meaning sales didn't meet Capcom's expectations.

judging by retail performance the game is an ABSOLUTE success. People thinking otherwise at this point are fooling themselves. Home console games selling those numbers in Japan are a miracle in 2009. That being said, I think every number we'll get in the next weeks for MH3 will be a good one.

MH3 is still an interesting topic here at MC beacuse people in the " go! MH3" camp want to show the naysayers that the game succeeded in every regard.

EDIT: shouldn't have quoted :D

It is an interesting example all around, I mean on the one hand Capcom obviously had higher expectations (though not sure what the basis was since MHG sold well but the console version has never ever broken those boundaries) then what was sold through at this point. Maybe the same people behind the Bionic Commando expectation were working on the Monster Hunter Tri one as well.

At the same time to even consider in any way a 800k-1m third party console game (hell console game all together) a failure is insane. I bet almost every company in Japan would love a 800k-1m failure :lol

Capcom is bound to make ridiculous money off this via the online fees, co-advertising with Nintendo, and the fact they can just slop a port of it to the PSP.

I still think it will surpass 1m with some ease, the longer Capcom holds off announcing MH3P and word of mouth continues on the longer a tail this game has in retail.

markatisu said:
At the same time to even consider in any way a 800k-1m third party console game (hell console game all together) a failure is insane. I bet almost every company in Japan would love a 800k-1m failure :lol

I will definitely consider FFXIII a horrible failure if it cannot at least breach 1.5 million the first month.

test_account

XP-39C²
What was Capcom's expectations regarding MH3? I know that the first shipment was about 1 million copies, but was this also Capcom's expectations for MH3?

sphinx said:
I guess that "in every regard" can be discussed a little. It seems that the stores might have ordered more standalone version of MH3 than what they should have. Maybe it would be better if the stores ordered more MH3 + Classic Controller bundles instead. Some stores also dropped the price on the standalone version (maybe because they ordered too many copies?), but i have no idea how many stores that dropped the price though, it might only have been a few compared to how many stores that there are in Japan.

I dont mean to say that MH3 isnt a success and i dont mean to downplay MH3's success in any way just to underline that, since i agree that the MH3 sales are pretty good :) I just wanted to say that it seems that MH3 has had some small "problems" along it's way so far, and that maybe this could be discussed as being a success in every regard.

schuelma

test_account said:
What was Capcom's expectations regarding MH3? I know that the first shipment was about 1 million copies, but was this also Capcom's expectations for MH3?

2 million shipments world wide by the end of March, 2010. It's hard to tell the exact expectations for the Japanese market given that Capcom has said its going to make a huge push in the West. If I had to guess, I would say they probably expected 1.2-1.3 million from Japan maybe?

markatisu

test_account said:

They wanted something like 2m ww, which many people figured would mean 1-1.5m in Japan and the remainder split between the US and EU

I guess that "in every regard" can be discussed a little. It seems that the stores might have ordered more standalone version of MH3 than what they should have. Maybe it would be better if the stores ordered more MH3 + Classic Controller bundles instead. Some stores also dropped the price on the standalone version (maybe because they ordered too many copies?), but i have no idea how many stores that dropped the price though, it might only have been a few compared to how many stores that there are in Japan.

I dont mean to say that MH3 isnt a success and i dont mean to downplay MH3's success in any way just to underline that, since i agree that the MH3 sales are pretty good :) I just wanted to say that it seems that MH3 has had some small "problems" along it's way so far, and that maybe this could be discussed as being a success in every regard.

its the exact same problems they had with MHG Wii so they should have seen it coming. There was not excuse as the MH community was pretty vocal with their sales dollars on which version they preferred.

The "stores" that dropped the price originally all belonged the same chain, its not like it was a country wide clearance.

But its obvious after MH3 and MHG if you want to sell a MH on the Wii well you better have the proper bundle allotment.

I mean look at GAF itself, almost everyone here who posted they bought the game opted for one of the hardware bundles (whether it was the black system bundle, the e-capcom one, or the cc pro one).

Kenka

schuelma said:
2 million shipments world wide by the end of March, 2010. It's hard to tell the exact expectations for the Japanese market given that Capcom has said its going to make a huge push in the West. If I had to guess, I would say they probably expected 1.2-1.3 million from Japan maybe?

Yes, that's a reasonable argument. It's a bit depressing that the PSP crowd hasn't jumped on board but this will be of little consequence worldwide. Nintendo marketing MH3 in the West would seal its fate as a multi-million seller.

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
Ah yes, now that you mention it i remember that Capcom expected 2 million copies to be sold of MH3, thanks for the info :) But ye, i was mostly thinking about the expectations for the japanese market. But seeing the 2 million copies world wide expectations, i guess that 1.2-1.3 million copies for Japan seems likely indeed, i agree :)

markatisu said:
co-advertising with Nintendo
Although that it seems most likely that Nintendo also used some money on the MH3 adverticing, i agree to this, was this confirmed by Nintendo that they also used money on the MH3 adverticing? I am just curious if Nintendo mention anything about this :)

markatisu

Although that it seems most likely that Nintendo also used some money on the MH3 adverticing, i agree to this, was this confirmed by Nintendo that they also used money on the MH3 adverticing? I am just curious if Nintendo mention anything about this :)

Yes Iwata himself said they were advertising for MH3 and DQIX. I cannot find the interview off the top of my head but it was during a discussion where he said he wanted to really help them become established franchises in the West.

Not to mention the anecdotal evidence of Nintendo bundling the game with the system and the CC Pro.

Also MH developers were the ones that designed the CC Pro, just more evidence to how heavily Nintendo was involved with Capcom on this venture.

Brofist

markatisu said:
They wanted something like 2m ww, which many people figured would mean 1-1.5m in Japan and the remainder split between the US and EU

its the exact same problems they had with MHG Wii so they should have seen it coming. There was not excuse as the MH community was pretty vocal with their sales dollars on which version they preferred.

The "stores" that dropped the price originally all belonged the same chain, its not like it was a country wide clearance.

But its obvious after MH3 and MHG if you want to sell a MH on the Wii well you better have the proper bundle allotment.

I mean look at GAF itself, almost everyone here who posted they bought the game opted for one of the hardware bundles (whether it was the black system bundle, the e-capcom one, or the cc pro one).

Why is stores in quotes? Bic Camera and Sofmap don't count as stores :lol

Actually many stores have dropped the price to some extent. I'd say if you can't find a copy either online or in a store for under 4000 yen at this point you are going out of your way to overpay.

markatisu said:
Yes Iwata himself said they were advertising for MH3 and DQIX. I cannot find the interview off the top of my head but it was during a discussion where he said he wanted to really help them become established franchises in the West.

Not to mention the anecdotal evidence of Nintendo bundling the game with the system and the CC Pro.

Also MH developers were the ones that designed the CC Pro, just more evidence to how heavily Nintendo was involved with Capcom on this venture.

Actually Iwata said he wanted to "help" make MH and DQ "bigger franchises" in the West.

Whether that pans out, is another story.

sphinx

the piano man
test_account said:

oh, absolutely.

There is room for further MH3 debate since no other game (as far as I remember) ever has had this kind of success and at the same time had its price reduced/collapsed. That's as weird as it gets for sales-age followers.

but thinking about it. Does it matter how fast a game sells? I mean, if instead of reaching the one Million copies sold in the first month, it reaches that number a couple of months later? Isn't it the same? it is not like MH3 would have sold 3 million if the game had reached the 1 million faster. Is my way of thinking flawed? not sure.

If capcoms expectations are to sell 2 million worldwide life to date, after all is said and done, I think they are on their way there, just slower than they thought. How does that make MH3 a failure? curious to hear some opinions.

schuelma

Dragona Akehi said:
Actually Iwata said he wanted to "help" make MH and DQ "bigger franchises" in the West.

Whether that pans out, is another story.

Yeah I don't remember those comments being focused on the Japanese market.

schuelma

On another note I'm usually immune to niche Wii games bombing in Japan but I'm going to be a sad Sales Ager in a few weeks when Little King's Story tanks. I love that game :(

lo zaffo

Actually if Monster Hunter ~tri remains on schedule saying Q1 for EURO market release and March 2010 for U.S. market release some may guess those 2 millions be ~all~ in JPN.
Still I call MH3 domestic success, and it's not over yet!

test_account

XP-39C²
markatisu said:
Ye, seeing the 2 million world wid expectations from Capcom regarding MH3, i guess that at least 1 million out of these 2 millions are expected for the japanese market. It looks like Capcom will meet their expectations regarding the japanese market, and i think it shall be interesting to see how MH3 sells in the rest of the world as well :)

markatisu said:

Ye, maybe the stores thought that many more people would want the standalone version of MH3 because it could also be played with the Wii controller, unlike with MHG where you could only play with a CC controller. But although, out of the 830k copies of MH3 that has been sold so far, maybe like 500k or so of these are the standalone version? So people are also interested in the standalone version i would say, but i do agree that the MH3 sales might have been a bit higher now if the stores had ordered more MH3 + CC Pro bundles.

Ye, i wasnt sure how many stores that actually dropped the price. I only saw a few pictures were MH3 had gotten a price drop, so it was hard to know exactly how many stores that had dropped the price on MH3.

Has Capcom made more MH3 + CC Pro bundles by the way? Have stores restocked on this bundle?

markatisu said:

No problem about not finding the interview where Iwata said it, i belive you when you say it :) I think it makes sense that Nintendo would use money on adverticing MH3, also since it was launched at the same day as the black colored Wii and there was a MH3 + a black colored Wii console bundle as well as you said. I was just curious if Nintendo had mentioned anything about this. Thanks for the info! :)

markatisu said:
Really? I didnt know this. That is pretty cool i must say :)

Top Bottom