• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Aug 3 - 9, 2009

DMeisterJ said:
Just like Capcom is milking all the RE4: Wii owners with RE5: Wii Edition? Yeah.....

Edit:

Of course a new MH will come to the Wii in the future, but it's just that it's not a foregone conclusion that because it sold a few hundred thousand units, another one is coming.

So what? Did it sell 3.5 million copies? What does the highest selling game on a platform have to do with bringing more games to the platform...

What if the highest TP game was at 100k and it did 150k? Would that make sense to do that again (don't answer).
Again I say - if 8-900,000 copies sold is not generating a decent profit, then almost nothing on the PS3 is, and I mean that worldwide.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
duckroll said:
DMeisterJ is being exceedingly moronic right now. Please bear with him. :(

But with a little help from Professor Higduckroll...
my-fair-lady.jpg

(Of course most sensible posters have him on ignore anyway)

DMeisterJ

Banned
duckroll said:
DMeisterJ is being exceedingly moronic right now. Please bear with him. :(

;_;

I thought my post was coherent and made sense.

Stumpokapow said:
(Of course most sensible posters have him on ignore anyway)

People have me ignored? I don't think anyone would have me ignored, but obviously I wouldn't now.

DMeisterJ said:
;_;

I thought my post was coherent and made sense.

Coherent, yes.
Made sense, no.

You can go on and on about how it doesn't matter how well the game did, but just because you think it's a flop, doesn't make it true.
Will they make a PSP version? Of course.
Are they disappointed in MH3 sales on Wii? I honestly doubt it.

DMeisterJ

Banned
AceBandage said:
Coherent, yes.
Made sense, no.

You can go on and on about how it doesn't matter how well the game did, but just because you think it's a flop, doesn't make it true.
Will they make a PSP version? Of course.
Are they disappointed in MH3 sales on Wii? I honestly doubt it.

I don't think the game is a flop, and have never said so... I do think it's not as successful as MHP2G was, and Capcom needs to decide if it's worth it sinking money into making the Wii (or any console) versions when the PSP ones sell so good with minimal changes between releases.

And are they disappointed in MH3 sales? No. Are they ecstatic? No. Were they ecstatic with MHP2G sales? Yes. Did they want the game to sell as good as that? Somewhat considering the 2 million projected sales for the game especially since it sells so little in the west. MHP2G shipped like 3.5 million and 3.2 million + is in JP iirc, right? They can't expect too much from MH3 in the west, and it looks to be well under their predictions if it follows the MH trend of JP making up 75-85%+ of total sales.

DMeisterJ said:
I don't think the game is a flop, and have never said so... I do think it's not as successful as MHP2G was, and Capcom needs to decide if it's worth it sinking money into making the Wii (or any console) versions when the PSP ones sell so good with minimal changes between releases.

And are they disappointed in MH3 sales? No. Are they ecstatic? No. Were they ecstatic with MHP2G sales? Yes. Did they want the game to sell as good as that? Somewhat considering the 2 million projected sales for the game especially since it sells so little in the west. MHP2G shipped like 3.5 million and 3.2 million + is in JP iirc, right? They can't expect too much from MH3 in the west, and it looks to be well under their predictions if it follows the MH trend of JP making up 75-85%+ of total sales.

But that's just it.
They KNOW the series is popular on handles, hundreds of times more than consoles. They've known that for a while.
But there's a reason they continue to put it on consoles first. They can make money from it.

And yes, I think they can expect MH3 to do well in the West, if both Capcom and Nintendo are actually serious about pushing the game. And I think that's a big reason they switched it from PS3 to Wii.

duckroll

DMeisterJ said:

Okay, what the FUCK are you talking about. Without even getting more complicated than the top down view let's look at the option you're basically suggesting:

CURRENT REALITY:
MH3 - 700k sold in 1.5 weeks, ~1 million sold LTD expected.
MHP3 - ~3 million sold LTD expected.
Total Sales - ~4 million.

DMeisterJ VISION:
Total Sales - 3 million.

IN WHICH SCENARIO DOES CAPCOM MAKE MORE MONEY FOLKS?

ccbfan said:
What is will more likely hurt though is core game shipments on the Wii. Retailers are already extremely conservative with Wii core game shipments. This is not gonna help.
Now they will only order 700K of a core game for its first week.
GaussTek said:
Oh no, the MH3 sales discussion again. Well, I just hope Capcom finally realized that portable gaming is the future (and already present) in Japan :D
Well, certainly. But just because the home video market can make more money, that doesn't mean film studios are always going to skip a theatrical release.
lowlylowlycook said:
Still, the fact that a game that moved hardware to a decent degree ended up being discounted within weeks of its launch seems to point to something unhealthy in the games industry.
If 5 million Dragon Quest IX had been shipped the first week, it would also sell a monstrous amount of software, bump DS sales to heaven, and be heavily discounted within a week.
Xiaoki said:
The sales of MH3 would be great if it was only preceded by MH2 Dos. You dont come off the incredible success of MHP2, MHP2G and MHP2G The Best and then expect the Wii version to sell conservatively.
Sure you do. In the past few years whenever MH3's potential sales have come up, there have always been camps of "Massive portable success doesn't translate to massive home success--look at Animal Crossing and Pokémon." and camps of "Massive portable success can translate to massive home success--look at Mario Kart and Taiko." Whenever there's a situation like this the discussion is pretty much always where on the scale from 20% to 100% it will perform compared to the hit on the portable side.
Tenbatsu said:
The next hit will be MH3 Tri G for Wii, you cant run away from that.
I doubt it. From a milking point of view, four games (MH3 Wii, MH3 PSP, MH3G Wii, MH3G PSP) is better than three (MH3 Wii, MH3G Wii, MH3G PSP).

markatisu

DMeisterJ said:

You act as if Capcom lost their shirt making the Wii version, they are going to port the game to the PSP (which is a main reason why the Wii was chosen over the PS3) and so if there was any expense they did not recoup already by online fees and co-marketing with Nintendo then it will surely be made up by the PSP version.

They have said on at least 3 occasions they want to change the reception it gets in the west, they have already started airing more commercials and advertising for MH Unite last month and Nintendo/Iwata has already stated Nintendo was going to help with its release in the EU/US to make it a viable franchise.

You are just being irrational, nothing you are saying makes any sense because you are ultimately questioning Capcom earning money and saying they should not have done so.

This was the most out there comment I have seen in a while

Of course a new MH will come to the Wii in the future, but it's just that it's not a foregone conclusion that because it sold a few hundred thousand units, another one is coming.

700k-900k most certainly does make it a foregone conclusion, hell in JP 300-400k makes it a foregone conclusion. If it does not then no games should ever be made for any console system as the list of games higher than 400-500k is very very very short.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
duckroll said:
Okay, what the FUCK are you talking about. Without even getting more complicated than the top down view let's look at the option you're basically suggesting:

CURRENT REALITY:

DMeisterJ VISION:
Total Sales - 3 million.

oWned by duckroll, plus there is still th possibilty for using the same engine on the mh3g on wii or next-gen handhelds...

Spiegel

CURRENT REALITY:

DMeisterJ VISION:
Total Sales - 3 million.

Let's not forget MHP2G is an expansion of a 1.7 million selling game which was a port of a ps2 game. And it's at 3.3 million and counting.

A completely new mainline and exclusive MH game on PSP could do close to 4 million. Obviously, MHP3 will have lower expectations.

duckroll said:

CURRENT REALITY:

DMeisterJ VISION:
Total Sales - 3 million.

You forget a very important thing : MH3 on Wii is a great cash machine.

Don't forget people need pay for play online with MH3.

duckroll

Spiegel said:
Let's not forget MHP2G is an expansion of a 1.7 million selling game which was a port of a ps2 game. And it's at 3.3 million and counting.

A completely new mainline and exclusive MH game on PSP could do close to 4 million. Obviously, MHP3 will have lower expectations.

Do you SERIOUSLY think people in Japan buying MHP give a fuck if it's "exclusive" or "mainline" or whatever? Dude.....

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
DMeisterJ said:

Didn't the original MH:Freedom start out as slow or even slower than the console versions? Would you have concluded from MH:F two week sales that it might not be worth releasing portable versions of future iterations?
Captain Smoker said:
Code:
Game				week 1	   week 2		LTD (incl. Best, etc.)

Monster Hunter 			120,000    54,000  (- 55%)	289,000
Monster Hunter G		128,000    30,000  (- 77%)	237,000
Monster Hunter Freedom		118,000    53,000  (- 55%)	1,117,000
Monster Hunter 2		368,000    95,000  (- 74%)	698,000
Monster Hunter Freedom 2	746,000    156,000 (- 79%)	1,723,000
Monster Hunter Portable 2G	823,000    552,000 (- 33%)	3,323,000
Monster Hunter G Wii		142,000    34,000  (- 76%)	225,000
Monster Hunter Tri		583,000    138,000 (- 76%)	721,000

Spiegel

duckroll said:
Do you SERIOUSLY think people in Japan buying MHP give a fuck if it's "exclusive" or "mainline" or whatever? Dude.....

I do.

Do you seriously think that the potential sales of a completely new sequel are the same as the potential sales of the one based on a previously released game?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
:lol @ the people pushing duckrolls buttons with fanboy logic.

Million selling franchises are hard to come by in Japan so only a moron would think that Capcom will give up on MH games on the Wii just because it didn't do 1 Million on day one. If it takes a month and a half to reach 1 million it still sold a million and the sequel would do even better numbers with an established fanbase. Not to mention the monthly online fees and the low cost of development compared to the HD consoles. The series is a complete success on the Wii and has outsold every HD game in Japan including those 20 Million budget RPG's and MGS4.

duckroll said:
If rather than the PSP it was the Wii getting that treatment, I can imagine the fuckload of whine in these threads from far away.

So yes. There's a reason MHP2G is the best selling of all the PSP ones, there wasn't MH2G on consoles.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Going by Meisters Logic Capcom needs to shut down all of their PS3 and 360 support if it's not RE, Street Fighter or DMC. Square enix needs to kill all of their HD support except for FFXIII. Namco Bandai needs to just not ever support HD consoles again and Konami needs to not even attempt Castlevania on the HD consoles and stick with MGS4. But those are franchises that would sell boat loads on any console so why not just make Wii versions and save on development costs which will lead to a bigger return on their investment?

markatisu

If we look solely at MHG Wii (using MC numbers) then we can expect MH3 to play out as follows

MHG Wii

Week 1 (4/20-4/26) 131,647
Week 2 (4/27-5/30) 40,294 [172,000]
Week 3 (5/04-5/10) 23,000 [195,000]

It then stayed on the charts for 4+ weeks after that but without solid numbers (that I found)

Now completely using basic math here is MH3 Wii using a similar drop from week to week (basic 50% drops and absolutely no legs from Week 4-5)

Week 1 520,000
Week 2 137,000 [657,00]
Week 3 ~79-80k (~736,000)
Week 4 ~40k (~776,000)
Week 5 ~20k (~796,000)

That would put the total between 800k-850k depending on tracker and any semblance of legs

Spiegal said:
Do you seriously think that the potential sales of a completely new sequel are the same as the potential sales of a re-released game?

The same could be said for the console version, if only a segment of the "core" MHP buyers are getting the Wii version then what incentive would a spin off/port do for their sales. In addition you are forgetting about revenue for paid online service on the Wii

You could have ~3.5-4.5m just on the PSP or you could have 2.5-3m on the PSP, 1m on the Wii, assistance in advertising from Nintendo in exchange for the mainline game and a ton of online revenue = MORE MONEY OVERALl

Its not rocket science or advanced math here people

Spiegel said:
I do.

Do you seriously think that the potential sales of a completely new sequel are the same as the potential sales of the one based on a previously released game?
How much better could MHP2G have done if MHP2 didn't exist? How much better could MHP2 have done if MH2 PS2 didn't exist?

duckroll

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
If rather than the PSP it was the Wii getting that treatment, I can imagine the fuckload of whine in these threads from far away.

So yes. There's a reason MHP2G is the best selling of all the PSP ones, there wasn't MH2G on consoles.

You realize that just about NO ONE in these threads plays MH? So I don't see how that amounts to anything. :lol

I don't think MHP2G being the best selling MH title had anything to do with MH2G not being on consoles. The more obvious reason would simply be because the series was growing rapidly, and it was the next release in line.

MotherFan

Shaheed79 said:
Going by Meisters Logic Capcom needs to shut down all of their PS3 and 360 support if it's not RE, Street Fighter or DMC. Square enix needs to kill all of their HD support except for FFXIII. Namco Bandai needs to just not ever support HD consoles again and Konami needs to not even attempt Castlevania on the HD consoles and stick with MGS4. But those are franchises that would sell boat loads on any console so why not just make Wii versions and save on development costs which will lead to a bigger return on their investment?

Well, that has less to do with HD consoles and more with the fact it would be (and is) a 3d title. 3d Castlevanias are just not as good as the 2d ones.

MotherFan

duckroll said:
You realize that just about NO ONE in these threads plays MH? So I don't see how that amounts to anything. :lol

I don't think MHP2G being the best selling MH title had anything to do with MH2G not being on consoles. The more obvious reason would simply be because the series was growing rapidly, and it was the next release in line.

Eh, i'm picking up tri when it comes to the US. I would buy the psp versions, but I have no psp and do not have money for a new system of any type :/

Sorry bout DP

DMeisterJ

Banned
duckroll said:

CURRENT REALITY:

DMeisterJ VISION:
Total Sales - 3 million.

Of course current reality would make them more money... on paper tha tis.

There is also the idea that a lot of MH units moved because of the various bundles. Black Wii/Black CC Pro could have contributed to sales of the console. Is Nintendo going to launch MH4 with a new color and a new controller too? I don't know if it did move more becaue of the various black bundles (Capcom would know) which is why I said they need to decide if it's worth pursuing it. I mean, they shipped a million units and are at a sell through of 700k and the drop from week 1 to 2 was staggering, considering it was out 3x as long during the second week it was out.

And :lol at using 1.5 weeks it was out when it only came out a day later than most releases do in Japan. I mean, really? The first week doesn't count as a week? You sound like the PS3 fanboys when KZ2 launched or LBP launched :lol

As I said, there will be another MH on the Wii (duh) but Capcom is going to have to decide how to go about it... Phone it in and just sell some units, or try to make it as successful as the PSP versions somehow.

Spiegel

I don't think I've said anything terrible and I'm not blaming the Wii, just said an obvious thing:
A completely new numbered MH game on psp will sell more than one based on a previously released game.

MH3 being released for the first time on psp would sell more units than MHP3. How many units? I don't know, more units.

As I've said I think the number would be at least close to 4 million.

markatisu said:

Damn you :lol

cw_sasuke

DMeisterJ said:
As I said, there will be another MH on the Wii (duh) but Capcom is going to have to decide how to go about it... Phone it in and just sell some units, or try to make it as successful as the PSP versions somehow.

It will never be as successful as the PSP Versions on any home-console. It doesnt matter what Capcom does or tries, they advertised tri like crazy on wii - the next game will probably also sell + 1Mill on Wii which should be enough for Capcom.

duckroll said:

Well, I never played it either but I meant that more people here would question it, more than the usual 4 cats.

I also think it grew, but I don't think having a console release months before isn't affecting, even if just a little, the numbers the possible (yet not confirmed in any form) handheld entry could do. Or from the other side, if there were no console release, I'd expect it to affect the handheld entry favorably. Not that I think it'll do 100k now, but 3m instead of 4m to say something quick.

That's not to say that I think they should have skipped the console release, I only disagree that the sales potential for the handheld entry isn't affected by the existence or not of a previous console release.

poppabk

DMeisterJ said:
I mean, they shipped a million units and are at a sell through of 700k and the drop from week 1 to 2 was staggering, considering it was out 3x as long during the second week it was out.

And :lol at using 1.5 weeks it was out when it only came out a day later than most releases do in Japan. I mean, really? The first week doesn't count as a week?
You just committed the same fallacy you denounced.

Monster hunter Freedom 2 had a bigger drop off in its second week than MH3 - was that drop staggering?

mbnmac

Neo Member
Like a train wreck, I cannot look away from this thread

As has been said, this is good sales form home console Japan, and if they keep MH on Wii/Nintendo consoles it'll be a big help.

The thing that helped a lot of PS2 franchises was that they carried over from the PS1, so people knew where to go for their games.

This gen a bunch of games are switching their 'home console' and I think it'll take a few continuous releases to capture those people again.

Not everybody can afford 2 consoles to make sure they have all the games they want, so they go to the DS where they're getting most of the game genres they could possibly want.

DMeisterJ

Banned
poppabk said:
You just committed the same fallacy you denounced.

Monster hunter Freedom 2 had a bigger drop off in its second week than MH3 - was that drop staggering?
An it opened 200k units higher right?

Bigger opening, bigge drop.

And hasn't MHP2 outsold MH3 (or close) with it's first week alone?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
cw_sasuke said:
oWned by duckroll, plus there is still th possibilty for using the same engine on the mh3g on wii or next-gen handhelds...

isn't MHtri/G engine the same engine as PS2 Monster Hunter games ? if it's new engine , i really didn't noticed any real improvements over the old engine :/

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Hoping for MH to be as popular on the home consoles is like hoping Pokemon will sell as much as it does on portables on the home consoles. The game lends itself to portable gaming so it will never be as popular as it's portable counterpart. But still having a million selling franchise on a home console in Japan is extremely rare this generation so MH3 topping out at a million on Wii is still a complete and utter success for a console game. Spinning this any other way by comparing it to the portable versions sales is disingenuous.

Even if every single Wii sold was a black Wii and every single one of those was a MH3 bundle the stand alone game still sold over a half a million in 2 weeks. Damn near every major game in Japan has done a bundle like that but none of them have sold as well as MH3 so I don't really see the purpose in singling out the Wii bundle as if it is some sort of negative to hold against it when considering the franchise future on the console. They could bundle as many sequels as they want and Nintendo would let them. As long as Capcom excepts the fact that MH will never be a multi-million seller on home consoles they can enjoy the fact that they have another home console million selling IP in their catalogue.

markatisu said:
If we look solely at MHG Wii (using MC numbers) then we can expect MH3 to play out as follows

Now completely using basic math here is MH3 Wii using a similar drop from week to week (basic 50% drops and absolutely no legs from Week 4-5)

Week 1 520,000
Week 2 137,000 [657,00]
Week 3 ~79-80k (~736,000)
Week 4 ~40k (~776,000)
Week 5 ~20k (~796,000)

Well done, but these numbers do not take into account the price collapse for the standalone version...

cw_sasuke

Totobeni said:
i really didn't noticed any real improvements over the old engine :/

are your serious ? but yeah it a new engine, at least thats what capcom said, but i guess its just an update of the ps2 one.

@Shaheed79
true, but there never was a true home console pokemon like the portable main games, so we cant really compare....plus there was always a huge userbase different n64,cube and wii cant didnt even sold/sell half of their handheld counterparts.

portables are running japan, at this point almost any game would sell better if they advertised it well as a maingame on portables. sry wii and ps360 :)

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
DMeisterJ said:

Are you suggesting that Capcom should give up on a million selling IP on home consoles because the portable version sells 3x as much? I'm confused as to what exactly you are suggesting here. You don't think MHTri being the highest selling 3rd party game of the generation in Japan is a success for Capcom? If the PS2 games were worth making and the Wii sequel outsold them all then I don't see what the problem is.

I can imagine that the only people who are bothered with it's performance are actually bothered with the fact that the MH franchise has found a home on home consoles and that home is the Wii.

Apparent Sega should reconsider making anymore of those Yakuza games on the PS3 as well.

DMeisterJ said:
There is also the idea that a lot of MH units moved because of the various bundles. Black Wii/Black CC Pro could have contributed to sales of the console. Is Nintendo going to launch MH4 with a new color and a new controller too? I don't know if it did move more becaue of the various black bundles (Capcom would know) which is why I said they need to decide if it's worth pursuing it. I mean, they shipped a million units and are at a sell through of 700k and the drop from week 1 to 2 was staggering, considering it was out 3x as long during the second week it was out.

Please not this stupid idea again :lol

Shipment of Pack with Black Wii + Monster Hunter were between 20 et 40 k (usual number of packs of AAA game).
Black and White CC Pro were available alone so why buy a pack with Monster Hunter (more expensive) if you want only the CC Pro ?

Tired of fanboys...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Takao said:
PS2 is like an old once retired wrestler stepping back into the ring, honor and pride are things of the past, the only reason it still fights is because the family needs the money. He usually gets beaten to the ground by the younger fighters, but he's still got fight in him. And every now and then he gets the glory.

To be fair, they treat the PSP more or less the same. All they've thrown at the PSP has been ports, or remakes, including Monster Hunter. Resident Evil PSP will be the first PSP game of theirs that the PSP was the first platform to hit.

Doesnt this just make them look even worse? And comparing MH to PW is stretching it far enough to snap the argument.

Spiegel

JoshuaJSlone said:
In a world where an expansion of a port is at 3.3 million and growing, that doesn't seem much of a jump.

I've said "at least". And I wouldn't say a 15-17% jump on sales doesn't seem much of a jump.

poppabk

DMeisterJ said:

Not absolute drop but drop as in percentage of their first week sales. They both sold in their second week roughly 20-25% of what they sold in their first week. And yes MHP2 sold more in one week than MH3 sold in 2, what does this matter? The first MH entry on Wii sold more than 3 times as much in one week as the first entry on PSP (MH:F) sold in 2 weeks.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
cw_sasuke said:
are your serious ? but yeah it a new engine, at least thats what capcom said, but i guess its just an update of the ps2 one.

@Shaheed79
true, but there never was a true home console pokemon like the portable main games, so we cant really compare....plus there was always a huge userbase different n64,cube and wii cant didnt even sold/sell half of their handheld counterparts.

portables are running japan, at this point almost any game would sell better if they advertised it well as a maingame on portables. sry wii and ps360 :)
This isn't necessarily true as it depends on whether the game is suited for portables more than consoles. These are the 3rd party franchises that I know do better on home consoles than portables despite the huge userbase advantage. MGS, Tales, DW/SW, SB, SRW, PES. Pretty sure RE, DMC and SF would be part of that list if they ever get portable versions.

cw_sasuke

Shaheed79 said:
This isn't necessarily true as it depends on whether the game is suited for portables more than consoles. These are the 3rd party franchises that I know do better on home consoles than portables despite the huge userbase advantage. MGS, Tales, DW/SW, SB, SRW, PES. Pretty sure RE, DMC and SF would be part of that list if they ever get portable versions.

Thats why i said "almost" any IP/Game xD we will see how well MGS Peace Walker will do, since its the first Main MGS Game on the PSP, most of the games you listed dont even have portable versions so we can reall compare them to their home console counterparts, but a new main tales of games on psp would probably sell better than on wii or ps3...

Spiegel

Shaheed79 said:

- TotW:RM2 on psp is the best selling Tales this gen
- Shin Sangoku Musou: Multi Raid (spinoff on psp) has outsold Shin Sangoku Musou 5 (PS3)
- PES 2009 on PSP is gimped, had a late release and still has managed to sell 65% of the sales of PES 2009 on PS3. It's selling better than PES2009 on PS2
- MGS. Mainline vs spinoff
- Sengoku Basara. Mainline musou game VS 2vs2 fighting spinoff. It will end with at least 70% of the sales of SB2 on Ps2

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
cw_sasuke said:
Thats why i said "almost" any IP/Game xD we will see how well MGS Peace Walker will do, since its the first Main MGS Game on the PSP, most of the games you listed dont even have portable versions so we can reall compare them to their home console counterparts, but a new main tales of games on psp would probably sell better than on wii or ps3...
I purposely only named games that had portable versions. MGS4 vs MGSP, ToS2/ToV vs To-T/I/H PSPTales, DW5-6/SW2 vs DW/SW PSP, SB2H vs SB PSP, SRT PSP vs SRW DS, PES2009 vs PES PSP/DS.

Those are most of the best selling 3rd party games that aren't named Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter.

Other games that I doubt would sell better on portables are Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Street Fighter and Final Fantasy. DQ and MHP are more exceptions than the norm.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Spiegel said:
- TotW:RM2 on psp is the best selling Tales this gen
What are the numbers for this and other tales games this gen? I thought ToS2 outsold all of the portable versions world wide. Regardless Tales of Graces will most likely outsell it.

- Shin Sangoku Musou: Multi Raid (spinoff on psp) has outsold Shin Sangoku Musou 5 (PS3)
Do you have the numbers for both and the PS2 version?

- PES 2009 on PSP is gimped, had a late release and still has managed to sell 65% of the sales of PES 2009 on PS3. It's selling better than PES2009 on PS2
Semantics PES still sells better on consoles.

- MGS. Mainline vs spinoff

A portable version still wouldn't sell anywhere close to the PS3 version.

- Sengoku Basara. Mainline musou game VS 2vs2 fighting spinoff.

Didn't know it was a fighting game spin off.

I'm pretty sure Kingdom Hearts could be added to the list as well.

Whether MHTri sold bajillions on it's first day or not doesn't matter, nor does it really matter that it hasn't yet cracked (and will likely not) it's original sales estimations.
What matters is that it's now a massively selling franchise that has had a very nice transition from PS2 to Wii and so is an extremely lucrative avenue for the future of the series on a home console.
The PSP is a safety net for sales, they can make money from that releasing anything with the MH name slapped on it - meanwhile they can expand on the Wii fanbase they've created and then they essentially have a number one selling franchise on both of the platforms which brings in huge numbers with every released edition.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Just to make it more clear I was mostly comparing how those franchises performed on the PS2 compared to the PSP/DS since those install bases are way more comparable than PS3/360 vs PSP/DS. The Wii hasn't received a single mainline game in any of those million selling PS2 franchises so until they start to bring those franchises to the Wii, which is the closest thing to a a PS2 successor, I don't expect the console versions to do nearly as well as the PS2 versions use to do and convincingly outsell the portable versions.

Even the PSP/DS games that do outsell the PS3/360 versions very few them do anywhere near what the franchise use to do on the PS2.

obonicus

Spiegel said:
I've said "at least". And I wouldn't say a 15-17% jump on sales doesn't seem much of a jump.

Yeah, either 700k copies is a lot, or it isn't. It probably shouldn't waffle between the two.

Top Bottom