• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 28, 2009-Jan 3, 2010

Jonnyram

With the amount of price slashing going on at retailers these days, maybe there could actually be an industry-wide drop in prices in Japan. It would be funny seeing games cheaper than DVDs/BDs though. I think, in particular, publishers need to drop prices on their more "risky" releases, especially if they are trying to launch a new brand.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
With the amount of price slashing going on at retailers these days, maybe there could actually be an industry-wide drop in prices in Japan. It would be funny seeing games cheaper than DVDs/BDs though. I think, in particular, publishers need to drop prices on their more "risky" releases, especially if they are trying to launch a new brand.

Deflation, baby!

:(

BlackNMild2k1 said:
was there ever an update to the Mario Chart?

GASP not yet! :O

Here's last week's:

1262317990-mario_311209.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19104819&postcount=320

sphinx

the piano man
Chris1964 said:
Dragon Quest IX goes budget (March 4, 2010). This was sooner than expected.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/01/12/dqix_budget/

Square Enix cuts the price 50%. Obviously the used market is huge and they try to minimaze it.

Unless I am mistaking the game and it never was a traditional JRPG, I think it's kinda legendary that it managed to stay full price til now... but you are the sales guy, why is it sooner than expected for you?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
sphinx said:
Unless I am mistaking the game and it never was a traditional JRPG, I think it's kinda legendary that it managed to stay full price til now... but you are the sales guy, why is it sooner than expected for you?
What?

It's sooner than expected because it is very soon. The budget version comes out less than 9 months later from DQIX launch. This isn't usual for such a big title. The same date come out the budget versions of DQIV, DQV and FFIV.

sphinx

the piano man
Chris1964 said:
What?

It's sooner than expected because it is very soon. The budget version comes out less than 9 months later from DQIX launch. This isn't usual for such a big title. The same date come out the budget versions of DQIV, DQV and FFIV.

Mhhh, did I say something wrong?

I wanted to say: Considering DQ9 is a JRPG, which are in most cases very frontloaded, I think it's o.k that it remained full price for so long but it seems other similar games stood even longer.

Sorry for the confusion.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
sphinx said:

I wanted to say: Considering DQ9 is a JRPG, which are in most cases very frontloaded, I think it's o.k that it remained full price for so long but it seems other similar games stood even longer.

Sorry for the confusion.
From what you wrote I understood (wrong) that DQIX never was a traditional JRPG.
What I believe is that Square Enix brings out the budget version so soon because they see the game has selling power even so many months later but a lot of these sales are lost because of the used market.

apotema

Chris1964 said:
What?

This may affect Dragon Quest VI performance, I'm not sure, but wouldn't they let DQ VI at least 3 months without 'competition'?

sphinx said:

Sorry for the confusion.

Dragon Quest VII: 08/26/00
Dragon Quest VII - PSOne Books: 03/02/05 (55 months after)
Dragon Quest VII - Ultimate Hits: 07/20/06 (71 months after)

Dragon Quest VIII: 11/27/04
Dragon Quest VIII - Ultimate Hits: 07/20/06 (20 months after)

I guess Square-Enix takes its cue from Capcom with Monster Hunter.

Jonnyram

The_lascar said:
Dragon Quest VII: 08/26/00
Dragon Quest VII - PSOne Books: 03/02/05 (55 months after)
Dragon Quest VII - Ultimate Hits: 07/20/06 (71 months after)

Dragon Quest VIII: 11/27/04
Dragon Quest VIII - Ultimate Hits: 07/20/06 (20 months after)

I guess Square-Enix takes its cue from Capcom with Monster Hunter.
To be fair, they were way late. DQVIII was already shifting a million copies on the used market the year of its release. This is just a sign that Square Enix knows the market a bit better now.

Yeah, I think too, I just wanted to show how this is surprising. But I'm very happy if Square-Enix finally understand the power of the price cut.

I hope Nintendo is the next.

Jonnyram

I guess one thing that is strange is that they have announced it while the full price version is still selling quite well (placing in the top 30 every week, what 5-8k per week, perhaps?). Maybe the used sales are much higher than this and they want to tap into that?

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
I guess one thing that is strange is that they have announced it while the full price version is still selling quite well (placing in the top 30 every week, what 5-8k per week, perhaps?). Maybe the used sales are much higher than this and they want to tap into that?

The game was originally planned for last March. The timing might have originally allowed them to have the Ultimate Hits version by the holidays (almost exactly like MHP2G).

Either way, it's an interesting move, one they aren't doing for any other games. I don't think FFIV is on the line up yet, for example.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
cvxfreak said:
The game was originally planned for last March. The timing might have originally allowed them to have the Ultimate Hits version by the holidays (almost exactly like MHP2G).

Either way, it's an interesting move, one they aren't doing for any other games. I don't think FFIV is on the line up yet, for example.
It's probably a market test in that case, though I assume that's what you were alluding to.

I wonder how it will work out for them.

Edit:

Nevermind then.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
cvxfreak said:
DQIX, DQV, DQIV and FFIV Ultimate Hits are all the same day.

cvxfreak

Moor-Angol said:
There are Wii Fit Plus shortages ? i noticed the price on amazon.jp is very high

Store I visited today had them in stock. (Bic Camera in Yurakucho)

s4t9aa.jpg

This, however, wasn't.

Also noticing more PSP hardware being sold. Not sure where it'll end up, but BbS seems to be doing its part.

test_account

XP-39C²
Eteric Rice said:
There are a lot of kid's games, yeah. The problem is that they're not very good. Most of it is movie licensed shovelware, unfortunately. :(
Ok, i see. But hopefully for kids today they will still get great memories from their gaming experience, even if the games arent that good. Hopefully they have fun with the games and that they get great memories from this :) But i think that it defintely wouldnt hurt if there were more good games that are aimed for kids though :)

Eteric Rice said:
I think the best way of going about it is to not make games for kids specifically, but games that have a cool protagonist that can attract both kids and adults. Think Ratchet & Clank, Super Mario, Jak & Daxter, Spyro (in the PS1 days), Crash Bandicoot (PS1 days). These characters aren't specifically aimed at kids, but kids can play and enjoy them as well as adults.

I usually call these neutral characters, because they appeal more broadly.
Ye, these characters probably appeal to both young and adult audiences indeed :)

Eteric Rice said:
Even the advertisments are something both and kid and an adult would get a kick out of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjkAK4LZkao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48VB0fJfoVw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxhUOU9zY2E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8khYM3So1Y

And so on. They definately appealed to me when I was younger, and still now as an adult. They're hilarious. :lol
Hehe, those are some nice commercials indeed :) I remember seeing a some Ratchet & Clank commercial on TV myself :)

jesusraz

Hasn't Capcom been holding special launch parties for Darkside Chronicles this week to help promote it? What's in the special edition version as well - RE: TUC included, or a promo DVD, or...?

Vinnk

jesusraz said:
Yup, that's the article I was thinking about...Just wondered if that's pretty normal for a release like this, or if Capcom's going out of its way to help promote it a bit more than usual.

Wouldn't say "out of it's way" the advertising has been minimal (or at least what I have been exposed to in my town). Haven't seen a TV ad yet, a few posters in the local gamestore. I would say the same or a bit less than UC. Nowhere near the push RE5 got, that had ads on primetime almost every half hour. But even if they had given it a big push, I expect pretty low numbers. There just doesn't seem to be much excitement for this title. Perhaps all the new Wii owners will snap it up but I personally feel it might not get anywhere near the numbers of the first game. I would love to be wrong though, it looks like a better overall game in every respect.

C.T.

I saw quite a lote tv commercials, but its focusing on some celebrity and 0.8 secs of gameplay footage...

jesusraz

Vinnk said:
Wouldn't say "out of it's way" the advertising has been minimal (or at least what I have been exposed to in my town). Haven't seen a TV ad yet, a few posters in the local gamestore. I would say the same or a bit less than UC. Nowhere near the push RE5 got, that had ads on primetime almost every half hour. But even if they had given it a big push, I expect pretty low numbers. There just doesn't seem to be much excitement for this title. Perhaps all the new Wii owners will snap it up but I personally feel it might not get anywhere near the numbers of the first game.
Thanks Vinnk - that's what I was looking for. I had a feeling that just because a few stories were popping up on Japanese websites about Capcom promoting it didn't necessarily mean much.

I would love to be wrong though, it looks like a better overall game in every respect.
The game started VERY low in the UK Wii chart, but it seems word has spread and it's gradually worked its way upwards since releasing at the tail end of last year. This week it finally made it up to the Top 10. It will be interesting to see how it fares in Japan. It's a far better game than Umbrella Chronicles. TDC kept me playing right through to the end without any effort, unlike TUC, which was a chore at times.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I wonder if RE DC is going to be hurt by any lack of zapper pack in. This is just a complete guess, but I remember the zapper bundle being in sort supply when Umbrella Chronicles launched. For whatever reason, I don't believe there is anything similar planned.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
jesusraz said:
:lol Nice.

Yeah, well Kirby 64 seemed like an attempt to move in that direction...obviously it was pretty much just a (so-so) 2D side-scroller at its heart. Who knows what Kirby GC was meant to be, though.

A game in the mold of Kirby 64. We have some old trailers for it.

Shame they will never do another Canvas Curse. Game was brillant.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
schuelma said:
I wonder if RE DC is going to be hurt by any lack of zapper pack in. This is just a complete guess, but I remember the zapper bundle being in sort supply when Umbrella Chronicles launched. For whatever reason, I don't believe there is anything similar planned.
While that's definitely possible, I'm not sure if we will be able to distinguish it from the impact of the ho-hum quality of the first game.

Unless we're incorrect and they are putting out a zapper bundle and a non zapper bundle that is.

jrricky

Banned
RJT said:
Did I hear someone mentioning Mirror's Edge? Brilliant game. Definitely the underrated game of the generation.
This is both hilarious for the context of the thread and the entire post itself.:lol

Vinci

Danish
The_lascar said:
Yeah, I think too, I just wanted to show how this is surprising. But I'm very happy if Square-Enix finally understand the power of the price cut.

I hope Nintendo is the next.

The next to what? 'Understand the power of the price cut'? That's very debatable.

Busaiku

Vinci said:
The next to what? 'Understand the power of the price cut'? That's very debatable.
13./17. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
14./14. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
23./50. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
28./47. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo)
29./32. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
36./48. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo)

I don't really think it's debatable.

cvxfreak

schuelma said:

There's a tie-in for the game with a J-rock star's latest single that came out today, and there's also a Collector's Pack, so I'm not sure the lack of a Zapper bundle matters.

jesusraz

cvxfreak said:
There's a tie-in for the game with a J-rock star's latest single that came out today, and there's also a Collector's Pack, so I'm not sure the lack of a Zapper bundle matters.
So you think this may give the game more of a chance? I saw a Japanese website saying something about it being the most pre-ordered Wii game at the moment on Amazon. But Amazon trending doesn't necessarily equate to high sales.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Chris1964 said:
I had told you this could happen but you didn't want to believe.
Oh, I wouldn't be surprised to see this game fall into the Fall or even Q1 2011 at this rate.

I was just quite curious to see what a hypothetical super March would look like. Seems it won't be happening though. :lol

Top Bottom