• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 22 - 28

Jammy

Banned
That's a very solid debut week for the third (fourth with the Girl version) Harvest Moon game that has appeared on DS. Also, 180,000 for this week's sales and the more than 190,000 DS systems that were sold the week before is amazing. It seems that Nintendo is really ramping up production.

Wii Sports and Wii Play to slighly lesser extent continue to sell the Wii over there. I'm eager to see what happens with sales when Naruto, Fire Emblem, and Mario Party 8 are released over there.

PS3 sales didn't go up the week before Gundam Musou. I'd expect maybe a bit... simply because of hype.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wii sales are promising.
DS sales are amazing
it is bound to beat all records ever set in Japan.

enishi

And something more from Sinobi:

1) Brain Training 2 ~30k this week; it becomes the third DS game to join 4 million team, Animal Crossing will be the next (LTD ~3.85m)

2) Shortage of Hotel Dust, Picross DS and Sangoshi Taisen continues. New Harvest Moon DS joins the shortage camp. All should sell over 100k when stock refills.

3) Seiya sold ~20k in its first week. Large drop-off from the last game.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
enishi said:
And something more from Sinobi:

1) Brain Training 2 ~30k this week; it becomes the third DS game to join 4 million team, Animal Crossing will be the next (LTD ~3.85m)

2) Shortage of Hotel Dust, Picross DS and Sangoshi Taisen continues. New Harvest Moon DS joins the shortage camp. All should sell over 100k when stock refills.

3) Seiya sold ~20k in its first week. Large drop-off from the last game.
What!? Even third-party games are selling more than the publishers excepted? Danm

lancubap

Mrbob said:
Resistance sold over 100K in Japan?

Crazy.

Hopefully Zelda can get over 500K in Japan. :/

Probably Zelda will reach 600k+ in the long term. I hope that it will reach at least as Majora's Mask sold, but it is not very likely.

moku said:
Wii gets its first Million seller in a little over a month, while the gamecube had one its entire lifetime.

Unreal.
It's not as if it took years for GameCube to find that million seller; it was there before the thing had sold 300K units. It'll be a more impressive thing to note when a 2nd and 3rd (since Wii Play is hard to consider its own game)game hit a million.
marc^o^ said:
Wii sales are promising.
DS sales are amazing
it is bound to beat all records ever set in Japan.
OBJECTION! What about such records as
slowest selling system
!

argon

DeaconKnowledge said:
Isn't the PSP trending higher than it was at this time last year? Can somebody post last year's numbers at this time?

edit: oops, wrong week.. oh well just check the post below =)

So this is really show & tell week for Virtua Fighter 5... if PS3 sales are anything less than 60k we're going to see some mass suicides, since it appears the PS3 has flatlined at 20k a week. Anything less than a mass sellout of all 150k copies is completely unacceptable at this point.

I still can't believe Sega has suddenly become so important to the PS3's initial success.

I can't believe Nintendo's first two weeks of February may be > than PS3's 2007 YTD.

Poor 360...does MS have anything coming up that may drive sales over 10k again?

donny2112

VicAlpha said:
Even third-party games are selling more than the publishers excepted? Danm

"Expected"

Misspelling curse words is your own problem. :p

DeaconKnowledge said:
Isn't the PSP trending higher than it was at this time last year?

Code:
        Week 1   Week 2   Week 3   Week 4   Week 5
2006:  132,757   57,686   38,271   30,657   25,905
2007:  118,186   48,804   37,032   35,700   30,000*

* - sinobi's number for Jan 29-Feb 4.

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Next December.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Isn't the PSP trending higher than it was at this time last year? Can somebody post last year's numbers at this time?

The last 10 weeks vs. one year ago...
Code:
1y ago	Now        
51,196	30,815
92,121	23,917
86,403	28,930
95,689	48,962
161,332	138,588
110,741	68,675
132,757	118,186
57,686	48,804
38,271	37,032
30,657	35,700

Totals
856,853	579,609

Totals only since new year (4 weeks)
259,371	239,722

This incoming week of figures came in at 25,905 last year so if the early figure is correct, it's above the same week last year. Down overall but it's still maintaining fairly healthy sales considering.

edit: too slow :(

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Sho_Nuff82 said:
So this is really show & tell week for Virtua Fighter 5... if PS3 sales are anything less than 60k we're going to see some mass suicides, since it appears the PS3 has flatlined at 20k a week. Anything less than a mass sellout of all 150k copies is completely unacceptable at this point.

I still can't believe Sega has suddenly become so important to the PS3's initial success.

I can't believe Nintendo's first two weeks of February may be > than PS3's 2007 YTD.

This isn't the telltale week, since VF5 comes out tomorrow in Japan the sales will show up next week.

At this rate, Wii will become the fastest console to have a million seller (Wii Sport)

Currently the fastest system was Gamecube with Smash Bros (it broke 1 mln mark on january 2002, if i have good memory)

Rock_Man

creamsugar said:
Famitsu TOP 5 of Wii & PS3 Games (Till Jan 28)

Wii:
1.Wii Sports - 908,457
2.Wii Play - 786,943
3.The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 381,968
4.WarioWare Smooth Moves - 307,146
5.Pokemon Battle Revolution - 193,270

PS3
1.Ridge Racer 7 - 124,463
2.Gundam: Target in Sight - 121,733
3.Resistance: Fall of Man - 101,667
4.Armored Core 4 - 72,595
5.Genji: Days of the Blade - 48,869

Thanks! :)

Busaiku

So the Wii gets its 1st million seller this week or next week (probably), according to Media-Create.
Its 2nd is not too far off, with maybe a month long gap.
And Zelda is definitely holding strong there as well. with over a 25% attach rate.
I'm thinking it might be like Super Mario 64x4 DS and eventually trudge over to a million, or at least remain somewhere in that vicinity.

Jammy

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:

:lol Yikes... That truly shows us the state of PS3 game sales right now.

Moor-Angol said:
At this rate, Wii will become the fastest console to have a million seller (Wii Sport)

Currently the fastest system was Gamecube with Smash Bros (it broke 1 mln mark on january 2002, if i have good memory)
Good memory. Looks like according to Famitsu, it passed 1 million the week of January 28, 2002. That's GCN's 21st week on the market, and the game's 11th.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
JoshuaJSlone said:
Good memory. Looks like according to Famitsu, it passed 1 million the week of January 28, 2002. That's GCN's 21st week on the market, and the game's 11th.
It'd be ironic if Wii Sports passed the million mark next week instead since that was the week Virtua Fighter 4 was released.

ksamedi

VF 5 wont do anything for the PS3, i would be really surprised if people would buy PS3s for that game, i mean its not worth the price, maybe FF13 or something but not VF 5.

thaivo

ksamedi said:
VF 5 wont do anything for the PS3, i would be really surprised if people would buy PS3s for that game, i mean its not worth the price, maybe FF13 or something but not VF 5.

I think it'll sell some PS3's perhaps the total will jump to approximately 40k. I mean having a VF machine at home would be a arcade person's dream. I see a lot of them buying a PS3 just to practice.

ksamedi

thaivo said:
I think it'll sell some PS3's perhaps the total will jump to approximately 40k. I mean having a VF machine at home would be a arcade person's dream. I see a lot of them buying a PS3 just to practice.

You could be right, but i dont think it will reverse the situation for the PS3 in Japan. It will drop to 20k again after a couple of weeks i think.

Busaiku

Joe Molotov said:
What is it up to now?
If you're talking about Super Mario 64x4 DS, I think the last time I saw numbers was from 2ch, placing it around 980k, I believe, and it sold about around 1000 copies for that week. Though, don't take my word for it, as I cannot be completely sure.

If you're talking about The Legend Of Zelda: Twlight Princess, going by Media-Create numbers, it's at 381,968, as creamsugar posted earlier. According to the sinobi blog, and including last week, it's at about 400,000.

i think the next few weeks are going to be very critical for sony.
this week virtua fighter 5
next week tales of ....... 2 psp
the follwing week mhp 2(this will be huge)
then the big one the following week gundam musou
we might see things improve a bit for psp and ps3 sales

Mar

So if VF5 doesn't push the PS3 to 80k+. Is it reasonable to imagine Sony has lost Japan?

I just can't see it myself. I think VF5 will be the beginning of PS3 numbers really picking up. And that trend continuing with the other popular Japanese franchises coming out in the following weeks.

But, if it doesn't. Then I smell doom.

Shanks

I'm seriously starting to get worried about the Playstation 3 in Japan. I guess I should until Final Fantasy XIII is out before truly giving up.

sphinx

the piano man
we could get VF4 sales figures to compare and see how much of an impact VF5 will have on the PS3.

it might be indicative, doesn't it?

sphinx said:
we could get VF4 sales figures to compare and see how much of an impact VF5 will have on the PS3.

it might be indicative, doesn't it?

Going by the figures I can find, something like 350-400,000 first week sales, falling fairly quickly after that and ending up at around 600,000 - and that on a userbase of around 10 or 11 million.

Wait & see, but I think people hoping VF5 will kickstart the system may be disappointed.

Shanks said:
I'm seriously starting to get worried about the Playstation 3 in Japan. I guess I should until Final Fantasy XIII is out before truly giving up.

I hate to say it, but if the Wii keeps selling like this, and the PS3 keeps selling like this, the gap between the two by the time Final Fantasy XIII comes out will be bigger than the entire Final Fantasy fanbase.

Top Bottom