• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: July 6-12, 2009 - Dragon Quest IX - 2.3 million

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MysticX said:
Looks like gaming in Japan isnt dead just yet. But its sad that only old IPs actually sell well these days. Except "Wii (insert name)" games.

and layton, yakuza, monster hunter, rhythm heaven, and plenty of other surprise hits

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
slaughterking said:
The PSP version is handled more like an actual sequel, though. It could come close to what KH and KH2 did.
It should, it has the revamped battle system and new music, characters, worlds, etc.

I wonder if they'll delay it to add multi-player after seeing the success of 358/2D, I'm sure S-E and Nomura already know what kind of games sell on PSP.

duckroll

jj984jj said:
I wonder if they'll delay it to add multi-player after seeing the success of 358/2D, I'm sure S-E and Nomura already know what kind of games sell on PSP.

No. BbS is a single player game, the S-E multiplayer game for PSP will be FF Agito XIII.

Ninja_Hawk said:
I don't think it's too far fetched to assume the majority of Dragon Quest sales went to people who already own the system right? So how much of an effect to you guys think it'll have on DSi sales?
We already have some idea of the hardware bump, but the wording you've used makes me feel nitpicky. :lol

I think it is safe to assume that the majority of DQ IX purchasers already owned a system because the alternative to that is that more than a million DS sold in a single week. Which would be twice the record.

I'm a bit confused about these sales numbers. Didn't DQIX sell 2.3 million in the first 2 days? So why is it still 2.3 million after 6 days?

JoshuaJSlone said:
We already have some idea of the hardware bump, but the wording you've used makes me feel nitpicky. :lol

I think it is safe to assume that the majority of DQ IX purchasers already owned a system because the alternative to that is that more than a million DS sold in a single week. Which would be twice the record.

You're saying everyone picking up Dragon Quest isn't picking up the Dragon Quest DSi?
For shame.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
TheKingsCrown said:
I'm a bit confused about these sales numbers. Didn't DQIX sell 2.3 million in the first 2 days? So why is it still 2.3 million after 6 days?

Because the time period for the weekly numbers only included those first two days.

antispin

TheKingsCrown said:
It came out on a Saturday, so its two days were a week's worth of tracking.

duckroll

MotherFan said:
So what's would CoM be considered?

CoM is like KH DS. Both games basically use all the characters and worlds already used in the previous game, and offers no new Disney worlds or very much progression of the storyline. Instead it simply explains unanswered questions from the main games. BbS is a full blown new adventure, with brand new Disney worlds, brand new characters, etc.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
MotherFan said:
So what's would CoM be considered?
All KH games are cannon story-wise, but CoM was another game to be built upon already existing material.

MotherFan

duckroll said:
CoM is like KH DS. Both games basically use all the characters and worlds already used in the previous game, and offers no new Disney worlds or very much progression of the storyline. Instead it simply explains unanswered questions from the main games. BbS is a full blown new adventure, with brand new Disney worlds, brand new characters, etc.

Thanks for the explanation. So, CoM is basically like Crisis Core. I still don't think BBS will outsell crisis core though.

Spiegel

MotherFan said:
What is CC LTD? I think we can get a better estimation after we see this than some of the random guessing that is going on.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - 809k
Dissidia: Final Fantasy - 889k

I can see the game doing at least 850k

Mrbob

Not to be a pessimist, but what is so special about the DQ9 sales.

You would have to be a fool to say they aren't impressive, but aren't these sales in the same ballpark as DQ8? So the status quo has stayed the same. Also, the DS is the highest selling hardware of all time in japan so wouldn't you think the sales could be higher than just snipping by DQ8 (which I saw sold 2.25 million first week).

Mrbob said:

You would have to be a fool to say they aren't impressive, but aren't these sales in the same ballpark as DQ8? So the status quo has stayed the same. Also, the DS is the highest selling hardware of all time in japan so wouldn't you think the sales could be higher than just snipping by DQ8 (which I saw sold 2.25 million first week).

1. It's pretty much the fastest selling game ever in Japan (the previous being FF7 at 2.5 million in 4 days).
2. While yes, the DS has the largest userbase, there's still only a limited number of people that will buy any given game.

Mrbob said:

You would have to be a fool to say they aren't impressive, but aren't these sales in the same ballpark as DQ8? So the status quo has stayed the same.
It may have only improved on DQVIII's 2-day total by about 100K, but when they're both leagues ahead of everything else I don't think that makes it a very ho-hum event. Better hardware performance doesn't necessarily translate to better software performance of sequels. The PS2 Final Fantasy games didn't match the highs of the PS1 games, and though DQ VIII started quicker than DQ VII it didn't go as far.

This also, in two days, outdoes the lifetime sales of any non-Pokémon RPG on the system by nearly a million units.

Mrbob said:

No that I particularly care when people say this, but there has been a lot of "all the DS gets its spinoffs" and "The DS can't sell mainline games" rhetoric being spouted for a few years now. DQIX's sales dispel this.

This isn't even really getting into the stupidity of the comments in the DQIX system announcement thread.

test_account

XP-39C²
DeaconKnowledge said:
No that I particularly care when people say this, but there has been a lot of "all the DS gets its spinoffs" and "The DS can't sell mainline games" rhetoric being spouted for a few years now. DQIX's sales dispel this.

This isn't even really getting into the stupidity of the comments in the DQIX system announcement thread.
Why did people say/belive that the DS couldnt sell mainline games?

DeaconKnowledge said:

Somebody needs to find the highlights of that thread.

markatisu

PataHikari said:
Somebody needs to find the highlights of that thread.

Its actually much better if you read page by page, it goes from trash talking to utter tears of sadness for some members

test_account said:
Why did people say/belive that the DS couldnt sell mainline games?
Most of the people who said it probably did so because they didn't want their favorite series to take a tech step down.

Most of the peoplw ho believed it probably did so because there are very few examples like Dragon Quest IX to look at. If you look at the big DS successes you'll find plenty of successes that are sequels to past portable games, or spinoffs, or ports/remakes of old console games, but very few serious-effort sequels to console games. New Super Mario Bros. is probably the biggest example, though 2D Mario had been existing exclusively as portable spinoffs/ports for more than the last decade anyway. I'd be tempted to include Mario Party DS, but given the title and that it came out just a few months away from a console game with a number attached it wasn't meant to be taken as THE path the series was taking.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Most of the people who said it probably did so because they didn't want their favorite series to take a tech step down.
Meh. I'm pretty sure that a very large number of them just didn't like the idea of a big 3rd party game being exclusive to a Nintendo platform. The console warriors were definitely out that day.

MotherFan

bmf said:
Meh. I'm pretty sure that a very large number of them just didn't like the idea of a big 3rd party game being exclusive to a Nintendo platform. The console warriors were definitely out that day.

I think there was a decent mix of poeple who were just fanboys and those who just didn't like handheld gaming/seeing a mainline console game going to a handheld. But, there are alot of really good quotes in that thread. For another good read, pull up the archives and look at the old DS threads from 2005.

Ristlager

NintendosBooger said:
Dragon Quest leaving the abysmal Playstation brand has turned out to be a smart financial decision on the part of SE.

Because this game wouldn't have done the same on the PSP? And I am pretty sure that it would have given the japanese a very good reason to buy a PS3, if it was released for that instead.

test_account

XP-39C²
JoshuaJSlone said:

Most of the peoplw ho believed it probably did so because there are very few examples like Dragon Quest IX to look at. If you look at the big DS successes you'll find plenty of successes that are sequels to past portable games, or spinoffs, or ports/remakes of old console games, but very few serious-effort sequels to console games. New Super Mario Bros. is probably the biggest example, though 2D Mario had been existing exclusively as portable spinoffs/ports for more than the last decade anyway. I'd be tempted to include Mario Party DS, but given the title and that it came out just a few months away from a console game with a number attached it wasn't meant to be taken as THE path the series was taking.
Ok, i see, thanks for the answer :) I thought maybe they said it because there were previous examples that mainline games didnt sell that well on the DS.

I dont know why there was that many reasons to belive that DQIX wouldnt sell on the DS. I could see that people maybe questioned how well DQIX would sell on the DS if there werent that many previous examples to look at as you mentioned, but concidering that the DS is the gaming hardware that have sold the most in Japan, and that Dragon Quest is probably the biggest RPG franchice in Japan, combining a mainline Dragon Quest game with the DS seems like a pretty good combination when it comes to sales, at least in my opinion :)

NintendosBooger said:
Dragon Quest leaving the abysmal Playstation brand has turned out to be a smart financial decision on the part of SE.
Abysmal in what way? The PSP is selling pretty good, at least in my opinion :)

Ristlager said:
Because this game wouldn't have done the same on the PSP? And I am pretty sure that it would have given the japanese a very good reason to buy a PS3, if it was released for that instead.
Indeed, i also think that DQIX would have sold almost nearly the same if it was on the PSP :)

I wonder how much the platform really matters to the DQ sales. I mean, would it DQIX had sold about the same if it was released for the PSP, the Wii, the PS2, the PS3, or even the PS1? (alot of people in Japan probably still owns a Playstation 1, and the PS2 and the PS3 also plays PS1 games as well). I would guess that a more recent and popular gaming hardware would have a better chance to sell more copies of a mainline DQ game though, but still :) Dont get me wrong, i am not trying to say anything negative about the DS or anything like that, i think that the DS sales and the DQIX sales are very impressive, but i am just wondering how much it matters on which platform a mainline Dragon Quest game is on when it comes to how well a mainline DQ game will sell.

gerg

test_account said:
I dont know why there was that many reasons to belive that DQIX wouldnt sell on the DS. I could see that people maybe questioned how well DQIX would sell on the DS if there werent that many previous examples to look at as you mentioned, but concidering that the DS is the gaming hardware that have sold the most in Japan, and that Dragon Quest is probably the biggest RPG franchice in Japan, combining a mainline Dragon Quest game with the DS seems like a pretty good combination when it comes to sales, at least in my opinion :)

You'd be surprised how many people on this board seemingly don't understand how the gaming industry functions.

Indeed, i also think that DQIX would have sold almost nearly the same if it was on the PSP :)

I wonder how much the platform really matters to the DQ sales. I mean, would it DQIX had sold about the same if it was released for the PSP, the Wii, the PS2, the PS3, or even the PS1? (alot of people in Japan probably still owns a Playstation 1, and the PS2 and the PS3 also plays PS1 games as well). I would guess that a more recent and popular gaming hardware would have a better chance to sell more copies of a mainline DQ game though, but still :) Dont get me wrong, i am not trying to say anything negative about the DS or anything like that, i think that the DS sales and the DQIX sales are very impressive, but i am just wondering how much it matters on which platform a mainline Dragon Quest game is on when it comes to how well a mainline DQ game will sell.

It depends. I could certainly see releasing the game on the PS3 (or God forbid, the 360) as hurting the game's sales somewhat, but I imagine that releasing it for either the PSP, PS2, Wii or PS1 would not have had too much of an effect on them.

Eteric Rice

gerg said:
You'd be surprised how many people on this board seemingly don't understand how the gaming industry functions.

It depends. I could certainly see releasing the game on the PS3 (or God forbid, the 360) as hurting the game's sales somewhat, but I imagine that releasing it for either the PSP, PS2, Wii or PS1 would not have had too much of an effect on them.

Agreed with this.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Considering that neither DQ8 nor DQ9 caused an extreme bump in hardware sales for their respective consoles, I think, it's a strategic plus for SQX at the very least to have it on a console that has a huge and active install base. Had it released for PS3 instead, they wouldn't only have to convince players to buy DQ9 (not too hard, but still) but also to buy a PS3. Despite the difficulty in that, it would be hard for Sony to even provide enough PS3s for this. I'm sure Dragon Quest 9 wouldn't have done nearly as well on PS3 and would have even fared worse on Wii and PSP.

Eteric Rice

Yoshi said:
Considering that neither DQ8 nor DQ9 caused an extreme bump in hardware sales for their respective consoles, I think, it's a strategic plus for SQX at the very least to have it on a console that has a huge and active install base. Had it released for PS3 instead, they wouldn't only have to convince players to buy DQ9 (not too hard, but still) but also to buy a PS3. Despite the difficulty in that, it would be hard for Sony to even provide enough PS3s for this. I'm sure Dragon Quest 9 wouldn't have done nearly as well on PS3 and would have even fared worse on Wii and PSP.

I don't think it would have fared worse on the PSP or Wii than the PS3, mainly because they the PSP and Wii are more affordable..

I think in terms of the best place to put it, the DS was the right choice though. It's simply to big over there to ignore.

test_account

XP-39C²
gerg said:
Hehe, ye, i dont see why there were too much reason(s) to doubt that DQIX could sell really good on the DS at least :) And now that DQIX is out for the DS, we know that DQIX sold very well on the DS :)

gerg said:
Ye, i guess that a PS3 version (or a Xbox 360 version) probably wouldnt have sold like 2 million+ copies, at least not within the 2 first days after the release like DQIX did on the DS. Buying a ca. $400 dollar piece of hardware (the PS3) mainly to play a Dragon Quest game might have been a bit too expencive for many people, which could also hurt the software sales of a mainline Dragon Quest game. I wonder how much DQIX would have sold on the Xbox 360. At least the Xbox 360 console is cheaper than a PS3.

gerg

Yoshi said:
I'm sure Dragon Quest 9 wouldn't have done nearly as well on PS3 and would have even fared worse on Wii and PSP.

What makes you say this?

I think it's clear that DQ, as a series, has a very large group of loyal fans that will happily migrate from platform to platform. Of course its easier to sell them a game on a platform that they would want to buy (or have already bought) for external reasons, but I also imagine that these fans are willing to buy a specific platform for a single DQ game. Thus, the question is of how much they are happy to spend, so it seems odd to suggest that they would prefer a more expensive platform (with fewer similar RPGs) to platforms which are cheaper and have more games which are similar to DQ.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Eteric Rice said:
I don't think it would have fared worse on the PSP or Wii than the PS3, mainly because they the PSP and Wii are more affordable..

I think in terms of the best place to put it, the DS was the right choice though. It's simply to big over there to ignore.
Oh sorry, it's not stated clearly enough, I meant it would have fared worse even on PSP and Wii than on DS (but better than on PS3).

wrowa

Yoshi said:
Well, there's a reason why they always release Dragon Quest on the console with the highest userbase. :p

MotherFan

gerg said:
What makes you say this?

I think it's clear that DQ, as a series, has a very large group of loyal fans that will happily migrate from platform to platform. Of course its easier to sell them a game on a platform that they would want to buy (or have already bought) for external reasons, but I also imagine that these fans are willing to buy a specific platform for a single DQ game. Thus, the question is of how much they are happy to spend, so it seems odd to suggest that they would prefer a more expensive platform (with fewer similar RPGs) to platforms which are cheaper and have more games which are similar to DQ.

Well, there is a limit. If the ps3 was affordable, then I would say yes they would have gotten one, but they are not going to buy a ps3 mainly for dragon quest. There are not alot of people that will buy a platform for one main franchise (especially if it is expensive).

And greg, I agree alot of people do not understand the gaming industry or more precisely how consumer demand and decisions are made on the mass market scale. This board is not indicative of the mass market, in fact is actually indicative of early adopters and niche markets. These markets are not the markets that sustain large growth and mass market appeal. When alot of forum goes believe that buzz or popularity here means that something will be a success you will have many posts that will not be accurate nor smart.

markatisu

gerg said:
What makes you say this?

It would have never reached 2m on the 360 because that would require more than half the userbase to buy a 360 :lol

I am not even sure it would have reached 2m on the PS3, MGS4 was the platforms biggest game and did not hit 2m. It will take FFXIII to get to that point I think.

PSP, PS2, Wii, DS it would have hit 2m easily

MotherFan

markatisu said:
It would have never reached 2m on the 360 because that would require more than half the userbase to buy a 360 :lol

I am not even sure it would have reached 2m on the PS3, MGS4 was the platforms biggest game and did not hit 2m. It will take FFXIII to get to that point I think.

Well, in Japan MGS is not nearly as popular as DQ to be fair. If it was on ps3 it would go above a million (MGS did what, 700kish?), but how much higher I just don't know. I don't think FFXIII will hit 2m in japan either. 1.1-1.5m is my guess. At the time I think there will be about, hmm, 4M ps3 in japan.

As for the DS hardware boost this week, I think Famitsu said about 150k DS were sold? How much is due to the red and how much is due to dq is a good topic for discussion, but either way there was a nice HW boost. I'd say there was at least a doubling due solely to DQ.

Tron 2.0

donny2112 said:
What leaked numbers are you referring to? Famitsu had higher DS values for this week than Media Create.
I'm not sure, actually. I thought I had read it in last week's thread, but going back I don't see them. Apologies all around.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yoshi said:
I guess it depends on how you define "extreme bump" though, but the DS hardware saw a pretty nice bump when DQ9 was released, at least in my opinion :)

markatisu said:

The Metal Gear franchise isnt that popular compared to the Dragon Quest franchise as MotherFan mentioned earlier in this thread. If i am not mistaken, no Metal Gear game has sold over 1 million copies in Japan, so i dont think there were much chance that MGS4 could have sold 2 million copies, even if the PS3 had sold about 2-3 times as much consoles LTD compared to how the PS3's LTD were when MGS4 were released. I dont think that the Metal Gear franchise is popular enough to sell 2 million copies of one Metal Gear game.

But ye, i guess it is not sure that DQ9 would have sold over 2 million copies on the PS3, i agree, but i guess it could be possible as well :) We will never know the answer though :\ Since DQ9 is on the DS and DQ10 will be on the Wii. I dont think that DQ11 will come out in this generation of consoles, but who knows :)

MotherFan said:
As for the DS hardware boost this week, I think Famitsu said about 150k DS were sold? How much is due to the red and how much is due to dq is a good topic for discussion, but either way there was a nice HW boost. I'd say there was at least a doubling due solely to DQ.
I think that the DS hardware boost was mainly due to 3 reasons combined:

1. DQ9 was released.
2. The DSi is relatively new on the market, not that many people (relatively speaking) owns a DSi yet in Japan (at least compared to how much the DS and the DS Lite has sold), so it might be a good "reason" (or what i shall say) to pick up a DSi at the same time when DQ9 was released.
3. A new colored (red) DSi was released. I guess that this could have boosted the interested for some people to buy a DSi.

I am not quite sure which of these 3 reasons that is the biggest reasons for the DS hardware bump though, but ye, maybe at least half of the hardware bump was due to the DQ9 release as you say, i agree :)

EDIT: I added some text.

Top Bottom