• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: July 6-12, 2009 - Dragon Quest IX - 2.3 million

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
test_account said:
I guess it depends on how you define "extreme bump" though, but the DS hardware saw a pretty nice bump when DQ9 was released, at least in my opinion :)
It definitely was a decent bump, but compared to Dragon Quest's sales it's minor.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hardware:

DSi 118,202
PSP 26,527
Wii 22,141
DS Lite 10,161
PS3 9,864
Xbox 360 3,561
PS2 3,508

Michan

The hardware bump isn't anywhere near as much as it would have been if DQ9 was a PS3 or 360 game. The DS has sold so many units in Japan already, and has already seen several Dragon Quest spin-offs. I'm actually quite surprised the hardware number is as high as it is, but I'm sure there must have been some people holding off for a DSi (I know I'm waiting for a white one in North America). The release of such a high-profile game is a good time to upgrade.

Unless there are some shock announcements (Monster Hunter, price cut, etc), I think this pretty much marks the end of the monster sales for the DS in Japan. Everybody who wants the system has one by now; pretty much all of the genres have been covered in great depth, with many high-profile releases. There isn't a lot more on the horizon that can shift units like Dragon Quest or Pokemon does.

The only time we're going to see DS over 100k again is around Christmas time, and/or when the Pokemon G/S remakes hits (assuming there are still Pokemon fans who don't yet have/sold their DS, or once-fans who'd like to re-live childhood memories).

Jonnyram

Michan said:
The hardware bump isn't anywhere near as much as it would have been if DQ9 was a PS3 or 360 game. The DS has sold so many units in Japan already, and has already seen several Dragon Quest spin-offs. I'm actually quite surprised the hardware number is as high as it is
With the DQIX hype, I guess a lot of people forgot a new colour was released on the same day. I imagine that also helped the hardware sales a fair bit.

rpmurphy

Jonnyram said:
With the DQIX hype, I guess a lot of people forgot a new colour was released on the same day. I imagine that also helped the hardware sales a fair bit.
I thought the two were being promoted in conjunction to some extent. At least from the "hajimete no draque" pamphlets they showed the red DSi?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
repost from old thread:

What's the most successful BEST/GH/Similar release ever (known)?

Is there still any chance that Inazuma Eleven will see a release outside Japan?
It's probably my jpn-only most wanted game...

bttb said:
Famitsu First Day Sales (07/16)
[PS3] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami) - 45,000 (42%)
[PS2] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami) - 25,000 (34%)

wow, it really moved to the PS3. Comparison with last year edition:
[PS3] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5 (Konami) - 38,000
[PS2] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5 (Konami) - 50,000
Two important things to note: those PYS5 numbers are for the first 3 days since it was a Tuesday release, and it has been an April franchise until this year which it got moved to the July timeslot (swapping Pawapuro and Spirits that is).
We can make a better comparison with PYS4 since both 4 and 5 were 1st April releases, which in 2007 for PYS4 it was a Sunday, and in 2008 for PYS5 it was a Tuesday. Thus, the first week number for PYS4 is actually just a first day number!
[PS3] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 4 (Konami) - 19,000
[PS2] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 4 (Konami) - 39,000
It can be seen how its been moving to the PS3 without hurting overall sales.

[PSP] Ys I & II Chronicles (Nihon Falcom) - 10,000 (34%)
Nice, with this start it'll do better first week than Zwei, Brandish, Vantage Master and other lesser Falcom PSP titles, and possibly Legend of Heroes 1 too. If it has a good weekend it could come close to Legend of Heroes 2 too. I wonder how will Ys 7 fare, after all most of the Falcom games are ports and that one will be brand new.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Michan said:
Unless there are some shock announcements (Monster Hunter, price cut, etc), I think this pretty much marks the end of the monster sales for the DS in Japan. Everybody who wants the system has one by now; pretty much all of the genres have been covered in great depth, with many high-profile releases. There isn't a lot more on the horizon that can shift units like Dragon Quest or Pokemon does.

You do realize that the DS(i) is still the best selling console, even with that huge existing userbase.

The hardware bump isn't anywhere near as much as it would have been if DQ9 was a PS3 or 360 game.

DQ Maingames are like a reward for consoles with a real high and established userbase, there wont be ever main dq game on struggling plattforms like ps3 or 360, so it doesnt matter if it would have moved hardware sales on ps3 or 360.....

Plus they announced the game 3 years ago, we dont know how many people bought the ds in the last 3 years just in anticipation for dq9 and the other dq remakes...

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...
PSP comparisons: After 239 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 193.3 weeks (November 11, 2003), where DS was at 102.7 weeks (November 17, 2006), and where GBA was at 161.6 weeks (April 22, 2004).

X360 comparisons: After 187 weeks, X360 is where GCN was at 17.5 weeks (January 10, 2002), where PS3 was at 39.1 weeks (August 5, 2007), and where Wii was at 5.7 weeks (January 5, 2007).

PS3 comparisons: After 139 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 46.8 weeks (January 19, 2001), where PSP was at 69.5 weeks (April 6, 2006), where GCN was at 128.9 weeks (February 29, 2004), and where Wii was at 36.1 weeks (August 5, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 136 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 99.4 weeks (February 12, 2003), where DS was at 77.3 weeks (May 23, 2006), where PS2 was at 117.4 weeks (May 29, 2002), and where PSP was at 168.4 weeks (February 27, 2008).

DSi comparisons: After 36 weeks, DSi is where GBASP was at 47.8 weeks (January 9, 2004) and where DSL was at 17.4 weeks (June 28, 2006).

Based on the latest Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 82.9 / 17.1 are the best DS has done relative to PSP since the PSP un-bump the week before Crisis Core/PSP-2000 hit. This brings total shares to 68.3 / 31.7. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 544.4 weeks (December 19, 2019).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 26.6 / 73.5 bring total shares to 24.8 / 75.2. If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 608.0 weeks (March 7, 2021).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 30.8 / 69.2 bring total shares to 28.4 / 71.6. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 498.3 weeks (January 29, 2019).

Week over week, DS is way up and everything else is down.
X360

PS3 and PSP in particular have some long term downs. To find a lower month for either you'd need go back to October 2008.

Through the first twenty-seven weeks of the year, overall sales are down. However, the systems can be split into camps of 3 up and 3 down. Here's how the year-to-date year-over-year percents stand as of now.

Wii: -62.5%
DSL+DSi: +7.6%
PS2: -51.0%
PS3: +5.7%
PSP: -45.7%
X360: +194.8%

Home hardware: -39.2%
Portable hardware: -22.7%
Sum of all hardware: -29.5%

Last year:

This year:

Looking at these YTD pies, we can see that now both Wii and PSP are down more than a million units from last year.

/!\ Rant post ahead /!\

Konami is fucking stupid.

They had last year the best selling Pawapuro in a good time (and ever in handhelds) with Portable 3 (PSP).
So everything was looking really fine for PPP4 to debut like its predecessors on April/May. But it just kept being unannounced, so long that when it was actually announced the release month had to be July, the usual month for console numbered entries, or in the other words what would be the best timeslot of the year.
But once again, it was shown very briefly and it wasn't still set for an exact release date, dragging on over and over again.

Until today, when they announce it'll be released on September 17th. WTF.
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20090717_303228.html

I'm checking like 50 Pawapuro titles from Konami since 1996 and they have never released a single one in September.

So the previous title does that good and you delay the next yearly edition like 6 months to release on a totally unproven timeslot? WTF are you smoking Konami?

And that's not the end of this rant. 17th September. Isn't there any other single week in September than the one that sees the releases of: Tales of Vesperia PS3, Tears to Tiara 2 PS3, Forever Blue 2 WII, Hitman 2 PSP, House of the Dead Overkill WII, 428 PSP, Ys 7 PSP, Yugioh 4 PSP, SaGa 2 DS, Idolmaster DS, and 5 days after freaking Pokemon Gold/Silver DS.

Sheesh, way to go Konami. Next up, miss December for MGS PSP.

/!\ Rant ended /!\

Famitsu Software Stuff

Wii Sports Resort's second week brings it over 500K, and pushes the Wii Sports series over 4 million.

Wii Sports Resort also passes up RE5 PS3 and Yakuza 3 to become the best-selling console game of the year. It's interesting to note how similar all of their first weeks are, but obviously WSR is less front-loaded.
WSR

Boku no Natsuyasumi 4 (3629) starts off slower than PS2's BnN2 (926) did in 2002, but does about double what PSP's BnN Portable (344) did in its first week in 2006 or what PS3's BnN3 (4) did in 2007.

Once again, Infinite Space sees a week-over-week increase.
3604+-+Infinite+Space+-+DS

With one more week of numbers past the mid-2009 Top 100, the DS and Wii Taiko no Tatsujin games seal the #2-4 positions in the franchise, all in the 580sK. Another interesting franchise event that looks likely to happen soon is Taiko Wii (3314) ceasing to be the fastest-selling Taiko game from launch. While its legs have been impressive, the original PS2 game (939) was even less front-loaded.

Pokémon Platinum has poked back into the charts recently, so seeing it again this week is no surprise. What is more of a surprise is that Pokémon Diamond/Pearl also popped back into the Top 30 for its first appearance since September 2008. It was also in last week's mid-2009 Top 100, though, so this doesn't update its number much beyond what we already knew.
261+-+Pok%C3%A9mon+Diamond+-PERC-2F+Pearl+-+DS

Famitsu Software Pie note: A rare week of near-parity among the top three software selling platforms, though with two new games sitting at #2 and #3 this week PSP takes the top spot for the first time since the release of Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 in January.
Code:
PSP:  30.3
DS:   29.2
Wii:  27.8
PS3:   7.1
PS2:   3.4
X360:  2.0
Other: 0.2

test_account

XP-39C²
Yoshi said:
It definitely was a decent bump, but compared to Dragon Quest's sales it's minor.
Ye, that is true, i agree :)

That made me wonder, what is the biggest hardware bump from one week to the next week that we know about, and what was/were the reason(s) for this?

jrricky

Banned
markatisu said:
Its actually much better if you read page by page, it goes from trash talking to utter tears of sadness for some members
Whiteman had me dying with laughter when I read it again on Tuesday with posts.:lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
justchris said:
Are there any other significant releases between now and MH3 on 8/1?
Not really, MH3 comes out the week after next (on Saturday) so apart from the games we got first day sales there's Katamari Tribute and Sony's mascot party game for PS3, niche titles from publishers like irem for PSP, Dragon Ball and Punch-Out for Wii, and the new Chibi Robo DS next week.

jj984jj said:
Not really, MH3 comes out the week after next (on Saturday) so apart from the games we got first day sales there's Katamari Tribute and Sony's mascot party game for PS3, niche titles from publishers like irem for PSP, Dragon Ball and Punch-Out for Wii, and the new Chibi Robo DS next week.

How does Katamari and Toro usually sell? 100k+ or a more niche 20-50k?

Rock_Man

Can someone please translate the MC commentary? Were only 21k of the red DSi sold?

Edit: Seems so. Dengeki has red DSi at 22k. The hardware bump should be explained by DQIX only I think. Some of the hardware sold just happened to be red. :)

cvxfreak

New DSLite and DSi colors don't seem to really make big splashes by themselves anymore.

Black Wii should be huge, though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone else find it a bit mind boggling that there can be one game that sold 2,300,000 copies and another game that sold only 7,000 copies, yet both can be in the top 10?

Zefah said:
Does anyone else find it a bit mind boggling that there can be one game that sold 2,300,000 copies and another game that sold only 7,000 copies, yet both can be in the top 10?
Just means that sales are bad overall and it takes a massive new release to capture people's interest.

duckroll

Psychotext said:
Just means that sales are bad overall and it takes a massive new release to capture people's interest.

Or it means that in the lead up to a massive major release, no other notable titles want to be in the way? :p

Synless

duckroll said:
Or it means that in the lead up to a massive major release, no other notable titles want to be in the way? :p
I would have to agree. You would be stupid to release a big name game in the same week as Dragon Quest in Japan. The only game that would sell just as well if it came out in the same day would be Final Fantasy, but that will never happen. Everything else would just be sent to die.

GCX

test_account said:
That made me wonder, what is the biggest hardware bump from one week to the next week that we know about, and what was/were the reason(s) for this?
Didn't DS sell like 800.000 units in a week in Christmas 2005 or 2006?

I'd quess that's the biggest bumb ever even though I don't remember the numbers for the week prior that.

cvxfreak

duckroll said:

I have to wonder if Capcom had moved up Biohazard 5 from the worldwide launch date of 3/13/09 to 3/5/09 because of DQIX's original date. It seemed like a very random move otherwise, especially since it's not like there were any manufacturing problems or what not. The new date even brought it closer to Yakuza 3.

GCX said:
Didn't DS sell like 800.000 units in a week in Christmas 2005 or 2006?

I'd quess that's the biggest bumb ever even though I don't remember the numbers for the week prior that.

Its highest week ever was 600K in December 2005. I don't think there's been a holiday season as exciting as 2005 ever since, except for perhaps 2006. For some reason, I do get this feeling that 2009's holiday season will be the best since 2006, but I have zero reasons or evidence why.

donny2112

Michan said:
Unless there are some shock announcements (Monster Hunter, price cut, etc), I think this pretty much marks the end of the monster sales for the DS in Japan.

Flood of DSi-exclusive games (e.g. NSMB2, AC2) pushing for upgrade purchases. Of course, you may categorize that as a "shock announcement."

Jokeropia

cvxfreak said:
For some reason, I do get this feeling that 2009's holiday season will be the best since 2006, but I have zero reasons or evidence why.
I've had this thought that the depression doesn't necessarily remove people's demand for videogames, but makes them less inclined to act on their demand, particularly outside the major holidays. If the amount of people who want to buy videogames is more or less as large as usual, it's possible that they'll simply wait until Christmas to buy them. In that case, the holiday season won't be as affected (in a negative sense) by the depression.

gerg

Jokeropia said:
I've had this thought that the depression doesn't necessarily remove people's demand for videogames, but makes them less inclined to act on their demand, particularly outside the major holidays. If the amount of people who want to buy videogames is more or less as large as usual, it's possible that they'll simply wait until Christmas to buy them. In that case, the holiday season won't be as affected (in a negative sense) by the depression.

I can agree with all of this.

A bad economic climate may not change what people buy, but how much of it and how often.

Zefah said:

Didnt like a million people already have the game on Preorder though?

apotema

cvxfreak said:
I have to wonder if Capcom had moved up Biohazard 5 from the worldwide launch date of 3/13/09 to 3/5/09 because of DQIX's original date. It seemed like a very random move otherwise, especially since it's not like there were any manufacturing problems or what not. The new date even brought it closer to Yakuza 3.

Its highest week ever was 600K in December 2005. I don't think there's been a holiday season as exciting as 2005 ever since, except for perhaps 2006. For some reason, I do get this feeling that 2009's holiday season will be the best since 2006, but I have zero reasons or evidence why.

But I don't see any games pulling a '5M copies sold' like in 2005 or 2006, maybe Wii Fit Plus or NSMBWii (3 million I think)

jj984jj said:
There's a new Penguin no Mondai for DS and it'll probably surprise us selling the most of all those 7/23 releases, just like the previous one in December which did 280k LTD (58k first week) coming out of nowhere.

Well, not a big surprise now that I have mentioned it though :p

PD: Oh, now that I see its before MH3, 2 days before it (7/30) should see a few notable releases: Puyo Puyo 7, King of Fighters XII, Gears of War 2 and quite a few minor ones (ports, advs and such).

Eteric Rice

donny2112 said:
Flood of DSi-exclusive games (e.g. NSMB2, AC2) pushing for upgrade purchases. Of course, you may categorize that as a "shock announcement."

Didn't Nintendo already say there would be DSi only games in the future?

gerg

Eteric Rice said:

Yeah. Coupled with the extra power that the machine has the DSi is a Game Boy Color waiting to be unleashed.

Eteric Rice said:

They announced that they are possible, which I think is something rather different from actually saying that they will happen.

Top Bottom