• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Oct 19-25, 2009

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Serenity said:
You are the second person to claim this what metric are you using to state this?
Do you even know what ''legs'' mean?

PS3: 152K, 55K, 51K, 40K
WII: 35K, 31K, 30K, 26K

Which system has better legs?

Pristine_Condition said:
As long as PS3 numbers stay reasonably steady, and get the expected holiday/FFXIII bump, the "PS3=GCN LOL" meme will be very dead rather soon.

20u7qx3.jpg

"Dead at the age of 3..."

obonicus

Chris1964 said:

So legs means only stability? If the PS3's bump stays ahead of the Wii for many more weeks will it always have worse legs because of its much stronger first week? That's generally not how people use it when referring to software -- they usually mean 'selling well for an extended period of time'.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
PS3 (after slim)

WII (after price cut)

PS3 has stabilized its sales the last three weeks. If you see the whole picture Wii has sold way less units but has showed bigger stability, from first to last week.

Anyway, this argument is silly since we are talking about hardware legs.

gkryhewy

There's a feature on S&P2 in the newest Nintendo Power with a US release listed for 1Q2010, so I think its localization is safe.

It's not like there's a formal definition, but in general I'd say something having legs is the opposite of something being frontloaded. It's easier to see this with software, though, as it usually hits a negligible point pretty shortly and we can confidently say "Title X sold 60% of its total in the first week" or whatever.

obonicus

JoshuaJSlone said:
It's not like there's a formal definition, but in general I'd say something having legs is the opposite of something being frontloaded. It's easier to see this with software, though, as it usually hits a negligible point pretty shortly and we can confidently say "Title X sold 60% of its total in the first week" or whatever.

I don't think the term should be used for hardware at all, though. A game that sells 5k from now to the end of time has great legs. For consoles, it might be the 360.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Next week releases (05/11/09)

[NDS] Summon Night X: Tears Crown (Namco Bandai)
[NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel (Namco Bandai)
[NDS] Sakura Note: Imanitsu na Garu Mirai (Marvelous Entertainment)
[NDS] Rika-Chan DS Motto! Onna no Ko Lesson: Oshare Oshigoto Otetsudai Daisuki! (Takara Tomy)
[NDS] 5-Kyuu kara 1-Kyuu Zenkyuu Taiou: Saishin Kakomondai - 2-Ji Shiken Taisaku - Eiken Kanzenhan (IE Institute)
[NDS] Tsunagete! Pipe Mania (Creative Core)
[NDS] WireWay (Konami)

[PSP] Minna no Navi (Zenrin)
[PSP] Colin McRae Dirt 2 (Codemasters)
[PSP] NBA Live 10 (Electronic Arts Victor)
[PSP] Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (Konami Dendou Selection) (Konami)
[PSP] Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance (PSP the Best) (Marvelous Entertainment)
[PSP] Suikoden I + II (Konami the Best) (Konami)
[PSP] Naruto: Narutimate Hero Portable (PSP the Best) (Namco Bandai)

[WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo)
[WII] Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (Welcome Price 3800) (Namco Bandai)
[WII] One Piece: Unlimited Adventure (Welcome Price 3800) (Namco Bandai)
[WII] Aim!! Fishing Master (Hudson the Best) (Hudson)

[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami)
[PS3] 3D Dot Game Heroes (From Software)
[PS3] Infamous (SCE)
[PS3] Colin McRae: Dirt 2 (Codemasters)
[PS3] NBA Live 10 (Electronic Arts Victor)

[360] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami)
[360] Tayutama: Kiss on my Deity (5pb.)
[360] Namco Museum: Virtual Arcade (Namco Bandai)
[360] Colin McRae: Dirt 2 (Codemasters)
[360] NBA Live 10 (Electronic Arts Victor)
[360] Fallout 3 (Platinum Collection) (Bethesda Softworks)

[PS2] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (Konami Dendou Selection) (Konami)

Chris1964 said:

PS3: 152K, 55K, 51K, 40K
WII: 35K, 31K, 30K, 26K

Which system has better legs?
Wii for two weeks, then PS3 in the last. Using legs to mean "retention of last week's numbers" is possible, but has many statistical drawbacks. For example, here's the legs for PS3 after Slim by that definition:
Code:
Week  Units     Legs
1    151783   14,594.5%
2     55344       36.5%
3     51055       92.3%
4     39960       78.3%
5     37538       93.9%
The variability over the whole range is quite large, and scotches the ability to make solid trend lines for long amounts of time. In addition, as absolute units diminish the potential for variability will get worse, not better. And the meaningfulness of this measure of legs is extremely low: 100% legs at week 40 doesn't mean anything remotely the same as 100% legs at week 3, so you have to import other data to draw conclusions. Finally, the fact that legs will get better and better over time for everything also runs counter to people's intuitive use of the word.

The best definition of legs is "retention of first week units". This is trivially simple for initial launches; for inflection points (re-release, ad push, new colors or designs, price cut, etc.) you have to establish a "first week" by subtracting the previous baseline. For price cuts, this will typically be the last number before announcement of the reduction. The PS3 did 5,944 that week, so:
Code:
Week  Units     Legs
1    145839   
2     49400       33.9%
3     45111       30.9%
4     34016       23.3%
5     31594       21.7%
You can already clearly see a decay trend which can be addressed more simply by formula. Furthermore, this trend will almost never reverse (making unique things like Friends Collection stand out as much as they should). As well, the contribution of early weeks and late weeks to overall success is directly comparable; variability goes down, not up; no other measure is needed for the meaning of the numbers; this can be easily applied to both software and hardware; and so on.

I hope you can see the advantages of this different approach.

Chris1964 said:
Good timing, I'm thinking the next prediction set should have: WE2010 PS3, Mario & Sonic, 3D Dot Game Heroes and Summon Night X. Is it ok? (the rest seem pretty minor, WE2009 360 didn't hit 10k for example). Also, so it doesn't interfere with the common thread pattern, it'd be best to end them just before the Famitsu leak comes out.

Road

10zml2t.jpg

Note: PSP Slim released two weeks after PS3 slim in the calendar year, which makes its "holiday season boost" starts earlier. (source)

Rolf NB

Liabe Brave said:
The best definition of legs is "retention of first week units". This is trivially simple for initial launches; for inflection points (re-release, ad push, new colors or designs, price cut, etc.) you have to establish a "first week" by subtracting the previous baseline. For price cuts, this will typically be the last number before announcement of the reduction.
It still assumes pre-1st-week sales are "normal". When you deal with depletion of old stock, (public knowledge of) a price-drop, (public knowledge of) a redesign, that is not the case. In those situations people hold off deliberately, or they can't find one, reducing week 0, inflating week 1, which leads to devaluation under your idea of "legs".

This is all very academic without producing a whole lot of insight.

Gravijah

obonicus said:
I don't think the term should be used for hardware at all, though. A game that sells 5k from now to the end of time has great legs. For consoles, it might be the 360.

If Microsoft could sell 5k 360s a week until the end of time, I think they'd be pretty happy.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Good timing, I'm thinking the next prediction set should have: WE2010 PS3, Mario & Sonic, 3D Dot Game Heroes and Summon Night X. Is it ok? (the rest seem pretty minor, WE2009 360 didn't hit 10k for example). Also, so it doesn't interfere with the common thread pattern, it'd be best to end them just before the Famitsu leak comes out.
If you include Summon Night maybe you should include Tamagotchi too. According to Media Create it is:

[NDS] Summon Night: Twin Age (Banpresto) |30/08/07| - 27.692 / 49.536
[NDS] Summon Night (Banpresto) |24/04/08| - 37.856 / 62.859 (until 28/12/08)
[NDS] Summon Night 2 (Banpresto) |07/08/08| - 29.715 / 49.038 (until 28/12/08)

[NDS] Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop (Bandai) |15/09/05| - 150.072 / 1.115.417
[NDS] Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop 2 (Namco Bandai) |27/07/06| - 192.458 / 810.864
[NDS] Tamagotchi's Splendid Rainbow-Venture (Namco Bandai) |29/03/07| - 44.250 / 157.004
[NDS] Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop 3 (Namco Bandai) |27/09/07| - 53.915 / 279.337
[NDS] Tamagotchi Kira Kira Omisecchi (Namco Bandai) |27/11/08| - 25.351 / 159.827 (until 28/12/08)

Tamagotchi series have declined after the first two releases and the last one had a low first week but it came out at a full of releases period.

cvxfreak

So, any ideas as to how many games will sell 1 Million units or more within the 2009 period using Famitsu charts?

So far, we have just 4 games: Pokemon HGSS, DQIX, Tomodachi Collection, and Wii Sports Resort. MHP2G is sure to get there before the end of the year, while MH3 is still up in the air. Wii Fit Plus, NSMB Wii and FFXIII are guaranteed to get there as well. If MH3 doesn't make it, then we have 8 for the year, 9 if you separate the two versions of Pokemon. Am I missing anything?

2008: 8 titles
2007: 10 titles (9: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon)
2006: 9 titles (10: Pokemon DP)
2005: 3 titles
2004: 5 titles (6: Pokemon FRLG)
2003: 4 titles
2002: 3 titles (4: Pokemon RuSa)
2001: 4 titles
2000: 5 titles (6: Pokemon GS)

Basically, 2009 can tie with 2007 and 2006 as record years if we separate Pokemon and if MH3 makes it this year (2007 has Pokemon Mystery Dungeon in the top 10, but splitting the two causes them both to fall below 1 Million). The question is whether I have forgotten any other potential candidates for this year that can help make 2009 a record year for million sellers in Japan. Furthermore, I'm sure some would call into doubt FFXIII's ability to sell 1 Million with its release date so close to the end of the year, but I think it can do it.

Busaiku

I think the newest Professor Layton game has a shot.

Yes, the series has gotten smaller overall sales with each installment, but this one has the benefit of launching with the movie.
The TV series helped Inazuma Eleven a lot, maybe the movie can show similar results for the Layton series.

Vilix said:
I don't think S&P is a Treasure IP. It's Nintendo's. Could be wrong though.

I don't think it is Treasure's, but begging for ports is irritating, as is the latest variant (begging for Wii retail titles to get ported to XBLA/PSN).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Cosmonaut X said:
I don't think it is Treasure's, but begging for ports is irritating, as is the latest variant (begging for Wii retail titles to get ported to XBLA/PSN).

No, pretty sure it is Nintendo's, with the inclusion of Saki in Brawl. I doubt they would go through all the legal haphazards to get the character just for an assist trophy.

jett

D-Member
Chris1964 said:

[NDS] Summon Night X: Tears Crown (Namco Bandai)
[NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel (Namco Bandai)
[NDS] Sakura Note: Imanitsu na Garu Mirai (Marvelous Entertainment)
[NDS] Rika-Chan DS Motto! Onna no Ko Lesson: Oshare Oshigoto Otetsudai Daisuki! (Takara Tomy)
[NDS] 5-Kyuu kara 1-Kyuu Zenkyuu Taiou: Saishin Kakomondai - 2-Ji Shiken Taisaku - Eiken Kanzenhan (IE Institute)
[NDS] Tsunagete! Pipe Mania (Creative Core)
[NDS] WireWay (Konami)

[PSP] Minna no Navi (Zenrin)
[PSP] Colin McRae Dirt 2 (Codemasters)
[PSP] NBA Live 10 (Electronic Arts Victor)
[PSP] Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (Konami Dendou Selection) (Konami)
[PSP] Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance (PSP the Best) (Marvelous Entertainment)
[PSP] Suikoden I + II (Konami the Best) (Konami)
[PSP] Naruto: Narutimate Hero Portable (PSP the Best) (Namco Bandai)

[WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo)
[WII] Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (Welcome Price 3800) (Namco Bandai)
[WII] One Piece: Unlimited Adventure (Welcome Price 3800) (Namco Bandai)
[WII] Aim!! Fishing Master (Hudson the Best) (Hudson)

[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami)
[PS3] 3D Dot Game Heroes (From Software)
[PS3] Infamous (SCE)
[PS3] Colin McRae: Dirt 2 (Codemasters)
[PS3] NBA Live 10 (Electronic Arts Victor)

[360] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami)
[360] Tayutama: Kiss on my Deity (5pb.)
[360] Namco Museum: Virtual Arcade (Namco Bandai)
[360] Colin McRae: Dirt 2 (Codemasters)
[360] NBA Live 10 (Electronic Arts Victor)
[360] Fallout 3 (Platinum Collection) (Bethesda Softworks)

[PS2] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (Konami Dendou Selection) (Konami)

metal_gear_cat.jpg

ethelred

Cosmonaut X said:

While it's correct that the game is not Treasure's to port, why is it irritating to hope for a game that has just performed abysmally to be moved to another platform? Do you think Sin & Punishment deserves more of a chance at success than it's just gotten? Do you think Treasure deserves to see some measure of success for their efforts at making the game? Surely it deserves more than, say, a rough cap of 10,000 or so LTD sales.

markatisu

ethelred said:
While it's correct that the game is not Treasure's to port, why is it irritating to hope for a game that has just performed abysmally to be moved to another platform? Do you think Sin & Punishment deserves more of a chance at success than it's just gotten? Do you think Treasure deserves to see some measure of success for their efforts at making the game? Surely it deserves more than, say, a rough cap of 10,000 or so LTD sales.

Since the Wii dwarfs the install base of the other 2 platforms what benefit would S&P have going to XBLA/PSN?

Unless its a low price, I doubt moving it online would open the audience anymore than sitting on the biggest home console audience in JP already.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
markatisu said:
Since the Wii dwarfs the install base of the other 2 platforms what benefit would S&P have going to XBLA/PSN?

Unless its a low price, I doubt moving it online would open the audience anymore than sitting on the biggest home console audience in JP already.
Err well.. Yes it would.. because then it would be open to the biggest home console audience in JP and on XBLA/PSN.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I can sort of see the benefits of discussing port possibilities with games like Muramasa or other marvelous bombs, but this whole exercise strikes me as pretty pointless given its a Nintendo franchise.

duckroll

markatisu said:

That's a faulty argument, especially when so far all the multiplatform shootemups released on 360 and Wii, ended up selling more on the 360.

Having said that though, there is no reason to debate any S&P2 release on any other platform because it is a Nintendo game. It would be like wanting Metroid Prime on the PS3. Lolz. Retarded.

I'm sorry, but the "move Wii games to XBLA/PSN!" meme is hella dumb. I'm not sure if it's stupider for the implication that devs would/should be happy to sell their $50 titles for $10 to a userbase 1/3 the size, or the implication that XBLA/PSN are a dumping ground for the spoiled detritus of idiotic console-war exclusive arguments rather than solid (superior to their on-disc companions, really) platforms in their own right that flourish when content is designed around their specific shape and form. It's like the home-console version of the bottomfeeder "lolz port DS games to iPhone!!!!!" idiocy.

ethelred said:

Of course Treasure deserve to see their efforts rewarded, but the cries of "port to XBLA/PSN" for this and other Wii titles often seem to be less about concern for the developers or publishers and more about simply wanting a game on the poster's platform of choice, along with the particularly irritating implication that the game is only worthwhile as a download title.

ethelred

duckroll said:
Having said that though, there is no reason to debate any S&P2 release on any other platform because it is a Nintendo game. It would be like wanting Metroid Prime on the PS3.

That's true. I didn't think anyone would respond seriously to my "won't someone please think of the children?" post, though.

Opiate

markatisu said:

At this point, I think it's only realistic to admit that the PS3/360 have different audiences than the Wii does. Specifically, the PS3/360 seem to do better with males 16-35, while the Wii does better with virtually everyone else. Games designed around the fast paced, blow-stuff-up style tend to be focused on those young males, and thus might do better on PS3/360.

I'm not saying that's good (or bad). I'm just saying the market has been rather cleanly bifurcated.

ethelred said:

Because 99% of the people port begging are doing it not for the game's interest but for their platform of choice. It's why port begging or "I demand X on Y" gets a minimum one month ban.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yes, I'm sure a fairly obscure, extremely Japanese, on-rails/on foot 3D shooter with some slashing would do TREMENDOUSLY well on the 360 or PS3. :lol :lol

onipex

bcn-ron said:
Can't get much smaller. Minimum width and depth are dictated by the 5.25" disc format, and height is pretty low already. They'd basically have to remove the Gamecube controller ports to reduce height any further, but there's really no need. It's tiny as it is.

Well they can remove the cube ports then. They can sell a Wii with the ports and one without.

They can redesign it in other ways too. Like giving it a retro console look or something.
I just think that the slim model is what is keeping PS3 sales up a little higher. The price cut helps too, but the slim model has the duel effect of attracting more customers by being smaller and causing some existing trade in for it.

Man God said:
Yes, I'm sure a fairly obscure, extremely Japanese, on-rails/on foot 3D shooter with some slashing would do TREMENDOUSLY well on the 360 or PS3. :lol :lol

Even if it doesn't do well (let alone tremendously well) it'd still do better than on the Wii.

It's a moot point regardless but eh.

cvxfreak

They can perhaps make the Wii slightly thinner, give it a bit of a different outer design, and then upgrade the internal memory to be more than 512MB. Maybe even throw in DVD playback, Motion+ and the Classic Controller Pro with every package.

That said, the price drop seems to be working quite well in the U.S. Japan on the other hand...

charlequin said:
I'm sorry, but the "move Wii games to XBLA/PSN!" meme is hella dumb. I'm not sure if it's stupider for the implication that devs would/should be happy to sell their $50 titles for $10 to a userbase 1/3 the size, or the implication that XBLA/PSN are a dumping ground for the spoiled detritus of idiotic console-war exclusive arguments rather than solid (superior to their on-disc companions, really) platforms in their own right that flourish when content is designed around their specific shape and form. It's like the home-console version of the bottomfeeder "lolz port DS games to iPhone!!!!!" idiocy.

Thank you.

Opiate said:
At this point, I think it's only realistic to admit that the PS3/360 have different audiences than the Wii does. Specifically, the PS3/360 seem to do better with males 16-35, while the Wii does better with virtually everyone else. Games designed around the fast paced, blow-stuff-up style tend to be focused on those young males, and thus might do better on PS3/360.

I'm not saying that's good (or bad). I'm just saying the market has been rather cleanly bifurcated.

The problem is that while Sin & Punishment is a game targeted toward that audience it's still a niche, low in budget, shoot-em-up that's very Japanese. The 360/PS3 usually do well with games that are of budget and cater to Western (to be more specific American) taste (at least in the West).

We also must remember that this game is targeted toward North America in Europe, you know the places were Sin & Punishment sold so well on the Virtual Console that it greenlit this project? It's ridiculous how fast Gaf comes to conclusions.

Dragona Akehi said:
Because 99% of the people port begging are doing it not for the game's interest but for their platform of choice. It's why port begging or "I demand X on Y" gets a minimum one month ban.

Pretty much.

Nirolak said:
2my6ngy.png

Absolutely terrible, unless you meant beat the Wii, at which point it's fairly possible. :p
Can you run that again with PSP as well? I should really spend the time to learn to use that site properly.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Blablurn said:
i hope winning eleven will sell better than last year.
As a true PES fan, I hope you will buy the best version this year. You know, the one that is on wii.

Top Bottom