• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Oct 19-25, 2009

DR2K

Banned
Chris1964 said:
You don't see very well. This is the first week.

bttb said:
Famitsu

PSP go sells 28,275 units in 1 day.
PSP LTD = 12,797,180 (2004.12.02 ~ 2009.10.25)

I'm talking about 7 days worth of sales, a full week. Unless the above information is wrong, that's only a days worth of sales.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DR2K said:
I'm talking about 7 days worth of sales, a full week. Unless the above information is wrong, that's only a days worth of sales.

first week = sales up until sunday on the week it is released. for most games it is 4 days. for some games, saturday releases, it is two. if you release your product on a sunday, it'll be one.

duckroll

DR2K said:

The PSP Go launched on a Sunday. So as far as sales charts are concerned, one day of sales is its first week. Of course you could wait for next week, and see how the PSP Go does on day 2 to 8, but that would be the second week.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
DR2K said:
Still, these are the first week sales. The original PSP-1000 also launched Sunday back in 12/12/04 with 160.019 units. Should we add and the full second week sales (85.089) so that we have the first week?

DR2K

Banned
duckroll said:
The PSP Go launched on a Sunday. So as far as sales charts are concerned, one day of sales is its first week. Of course you could wait for next week, and see how the PSP Go does on day 2 to 8, but that would be the second week.

I'm aware of the technicalities of the sales week, but I was referring to a full weeks worth of sales. I think people are too quick to scream "bomba".

Parl

duckroll said:
psp01.jpg
Most were purchasing it digitally.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
DR2K said:
I'm aware of the technicalities of the sales week, but I was referring to a full weeks worth of sales. I think people are too quick to scream "bomba".
Never before in Japan a system has sold more in its second week (with the exception of DS Lite which was hugely undershipped).

DR2K said:

If you don't want people to be confused (and irritated), you're better off sticking with the terminology in place.

DR2K

Banned
Chris1964 said:
Best and optimistic scenario: second week equal to first day. What do you except?

Considerably more than that. I think PSPgo is something that will increase in sales over time via word of mouth. I don't think consumers understand it at this point.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
DR2K said:
Considerably more than that. I think PSPgo is something that will increase in sales over time via word of mouth. I don't think consumers understand it at this point.
If anything, word of mouth would make sales decrease.

[Nintex]

DR2K said:
I don't think Sony's PSP team understands the consumer.

DR2K said:

Consumers not actually understanding what a monumental piece of crap the PSPGo is is probably the only reason it got the majority of the 28K sales in the first place.

DR2K said:

On the contrary, I think consumers do understand the system and - outside of a fairly limited niche - are apparently going to reject it.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
PSP Go = 26.800 yen
PSP-3000 = 16.800 yen

Only the fact that Sony dropped the price of PSP-3000 4 weeks ago should be enough to understand that even they knew PSP Go would bomb.

DR2K

Banned
Chris1964 said:
PSP Go = 26.800 yen
PSP-3000 = 16.800 yen

Only the fact that Sony dropped the price of PSP-3000 4 weeks ago should be enough to understand that even they knew PSP Go would bomb.

Man it seems like they doing their best to set the go up for failure. I forgot they just dropped the original PSP price.

Elios83

I don't think PSP Go numbers are bad at all if you consider it for what it is, a premium SKU in the PSP family. If you treat it as if it was the launch of a PSP2 of course it's a bomb.
Truth is if it helps keeping overall PSP hardware sales high by contributing for a 30-40% of total sales, it is mission accomplished.
Go is a kind of feasibility test for the future but Sony has issues they have to solve if they want to see a good result. Price needs to go down, PS store needs to be updated with more content and more oftenly, they need to solve the UMD back catalogue issue most willing-to-upgrade people have.

[Nintex]

Elios83 said:
I don't think PSP Go numbers are bad at all if you consider it for what it is, a premium SKU in the PSP family. If you treat it as if it was the launch of a PSP2 of course it's a bomb.
Truth is if it helps keeping overall PSP hardware sales high by contributing for a 30-40% of total sales, it is mission accomplished.
Go is a kind of feasibility test for the future but Sony has issues they have to solve if they want to see a good result. Price needs to go down, PS store needs to be updated with more content and more oftenly, they need to solve the UMD back catalogue issue most willing-to-upgrade people have.
I don't know any scenario in which the PSP Go could be considered a succes. Not to mention that developers were ready to drop the PSP in the US/EU and Sony used the PSP Go to convince them to stay on board. I'm sure that heads are going to roll at the PSP division.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Chris1964 said:
Never before in Japan a system has sold more in its second week (with the exception of DS Lite which was hugely undershipped).
Crisis Core FFVII PSP2K week was lower than the next week when it officially launched. Technicality, yes; but true nonetheless.

Don't take that as me believing that PSPgo will magically sell more this week than last. That will not happen

Cygnus X-1

bttb said:
Famitsu

PSP go sells 28,275 units in 1 day.
PSP LTD = 12,797,180 (2004.12.02 ~ 2009.10.25)

This confirm my supposition that the market isn't at all ready for a downloadable-only software. Because I'm sure that the problem is mostly there with PSPGo.

AniHawk said:
What's really weird about the PSP Go is that it's coming out at a time when Sony's really turned it around otherwise. They have good software coming out for a rebranded and affordable PS3. The PS3's marketing campaign is really good too, but the PSP Go's looks like the PSP's launch commercials from four years ago. It's like part of Sony never really left the middle of the decade when all they could do was fail at everything.
?

The Go's marketing campaign is the same as the PS3 Slim's. That stupid "Playface" stuff.

apujanata

Cygnus X-1 said:
This confirm my supposition that the market isn't at all ready for a downloadable-only software. Because I'm sure that the problem is mostly there with PSPGo.

I am not convinced that PSP Go problem is solely because it is downloadable-only. There are other factors, like :
- price (remember PS3 and it's $600 price point).
- sliding & comfort. I didn't have PSPGo, but I have had sliding Mobile Phone. The comfort level of sliding things are much less than non-clamshell (PSP) or clamshell things (DS)
- Lack of analog : I am not sure whether this is a major factor or not, but I am putting it here just in case.

cvxfreak

The discount for a PSPgo on Amazon.jp is up to 7% now. Usually they give a 5% discount. It's still a ¥1950 (~$22) savings.

I'd say Sony didn't fail to at least try to build some hype. There are flyers and signs throughout stores indicating the system's availability and the free game download promotion that goes with it.

They need Monster Hunter to come to the system ASAP.

duckroll

DMeisterJ said:
Crisis Core FFVII PSP2K week was lower than the next week when it officially launched. Technicality, yes; but true nonetheless.

Don't take that as me believing that PSPgo will magically sell more this week than last. That will not happen

The Crisis Core bundle was a limited edition release of 77k units.

I'm not saying they are comparable in every respect, but in direct response to what was said, it's obvious there is at least one platform that is download-only that has thrived.

danielijohnson said:
I'm not saying they are comparable in every respect, but in direct response to what was said, it's obvious there is at least one platform that is download-only that has thrived.
but... not in Japan. Even among Japanese iPhone owners, apps are one of the least used functions of the phone. I think the last survey I saw (from a few weeks ago) had 7% of Japanese iPhone users using it for apps.

RpgN

Heh, serves them right. It didn't work with the iphone and hopefully it won't work with the psp go. They better bring psp go 2000 with umd drives :D

DMeisterJ

Banned
duckroll said:
The Crisis Core bundle was a limited edition release of 77k units.

Yeah, I know. It still falls in the category though. It was released one week (in a limited fashion, not unlike the DSL) and then released wider (or in the DSL fashion, more units) the next week. Point stands.

Oh, and about the PSPgo, I don't think that it proves that the world is not ready for a DD device (See iPhone), I do believe it proves that the world isn't ready to spend 200+ on a portable gaming console. I'm positive more people would have latched on at 199 or below.

The_Joint

duckroll said:
That's in Akihabara, isn't it? Right next to a subway entrance behind and to the right, and a Donut shop to the left? Maybe not. There are a lot of places in Tokyo that look fairly similar.

jcm

Segata Sanshiro said:
but... not in Japan. Even among Japanese iPhone owners, apps are one of the least used functions of the phone. I think the last survey I saw (from a few weeks ago) had 7% of Japanese iPhone users using it for apps.

That doesn't make sense. The cellphone download market in Japan is huge. Why would iPhone owners be different?

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, again, it was a response to what was said. The person said "the market" so they may have been referring to specifically the Japanese market, but it seemed more general than that, in which case you can't deny that the iPhone does very well in most markets.

jcm said:
That doesn't make sense. The cellphone download market in Japan is huge. Why would iPhone owners be different?
Interestingly, I think it's because the iPhone can do one thing far better than regular cell phones: surf the web.

According to the same survey (conducted by IMJ Mobile, s=300), surfing the web is the most used feature of the phone, with 25%, followed by email (24%), music (21%), making phone calls (17%), and then apps (7%), with various other things like Google Maps, the camera, and the calendar making up the rest.

I'd also like to point out somewhat cynically that the average iPhone owner in Japan is probably quite different from the average keitai owner.

Grampasso

cvxfreak said:
So, any ideas as to how many games will sell 1 Million units or more within the 2009 period using Famitsu charts?

So far, we have just 4 games: Pokemon HGSS, DQIX, Tomodachi Collection, and Wii Sports Resort. MHP2G is sure to get there before the end of the year, while MH3 is still up in the air. Wii Fit Plus, NSMB Wii and FFXIII are guaranteed to get there as well. If MH3 doesn't make it, then we have 8 for the year, 9 if you separate the two versions of Pokemon. Am I missing anything?

2008: 8 titles
2007: 10 titles (9: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon)
2006: 9 titles (10: Pokemon DP)
2005: 3 titles
2004: 5 titles (6: Pokemon FRLG)2003: 4 titles
2002: 3 titles (4: Pokemon RuSa)
2001: 4 titles
2000: 5 titles (6: Pokemon GS)

Basically, 2009 can tie with 2007 and 2006 as record years if we separate Pokemon and if MH3 makes it this year (2007 has Pokemon Mystery Dungeon in the top 10, but splitting the two causes them both to fall below 1 Million). The question is whether I have forgotten any other potential candidates for this year that can help make 2009 a record year for million sellers in Japan. Furthermore, I'm sure some would call into doubt FFXIII's ability to sell 1 Million with its release date so close to the end of the year, but I think it can do it.
I think first week will be crucial to FFXIII, if it will be around 800/850k it should make it to 1 milion at the end of the year (just 10 days of sales, we can't take into account the last week of december because it will count as the first week of January if I'm right), less than that it will risk of not making it in time.
With my amazing SQL skills :)lol ) I've made a query to garaph that shows the drop 1st to 2nd week in sales from FF Titles that exceed at least 100k LTD. I don't know if it's permitted to link it directly (I don't know how to copy/paste the results in a proper way, if someone knows it please PM me so next time I can do a better work than an external link), anyway:
FF Sales first to second week drop

onken

The_Joint said:
That's in Akihabara, isn't it? Right next to a subway entrance behind and to the right, and a Donut shop to the left? Maybe not. There are a lot of places in Tokyo that look fairly similar.
Tokyo? That could literally be any street in Japan.

jcm

Segata Sanshiro said:
Interestingly, I think it's because the iPhone can do one thing far better than regular cell phones: surf the web.

According to the same survey (conducted by IMJ Mobile, s=300), surfing the web is the most used feature of the phone, with 25%, followed by email (24%), music (21%), making phone calls (17%), and then apps (7%), with various other things like Google Maps, the camera, and the calendar making up the rest.

I'd also like to point out somewhat cynically that the average iPhone owner in Japan is probably quite different from the average keitai owner.

I can't read the actual survey, but the gist of it seems to be that almost all iphone users have downloaded apps, it's just not the most important feature to them. Is Google Translate letting me down? This article agrees with my interpretation, but for all I know he's using Google Translate too.

jcm said:
I can't read the actual survey, but the gist of it seems to be that almost all iphone users have downloaded apps, it's just not the most important feature to them. Is Google Translate letting me down? This article agrees with my interpretation, but for all I know he's using Google Translate too.
91% have downloaded at least one app. But I think the data clearly show the iPhone isn't selling as a downloadable media device quite the same way it is elsewhere. Note the question isn't "What is most important to you?", it's "what do you use your iPhone for?"

Regardless, the argument being that the main issue with the PSPGo is that it's a download-only console seems faulty because, though we've yet to see NPD's for October, I'm pretty sure sales for PSPGo in the United States will be less-than-stellar.

We can all agree that the market for the iPhone and Apps in the US is thriving, right?

danielijohnson said:
Regardless, the argument being that the main issue with the PSPGo is that it's a download-only console seems faulty because, though we've yet to see NPD's for October, I'm pretty sure sales for PSPGo in the United States will be less-than-stellar.

We can all agree that the market for the iPhone and Apps in the US is thriving, right?
Absolutely. And yes, the numbers for the PSP Go's first couple days in the US were awful, as well. Clearly DD can work as a platform, it's a matter of doing it correctly. Japan's going to be an especially difficult nut to crack, though. They aren't real keen on the concept, which isn't surprising considering how rigorously devoted to cash this country is.

Top Bottom