• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Sep 14 - 20, 2009

cvxfreak

lowlylowlycook said:
Wasn't this inevitable?

Well.

Wii Sports Resort's legs were guaranteed. DQIX's were a bit up in the air until release. WSR's sales should be going up even more the following week, while there's nothing that's supposed to give DQIX a boost.

Even now, there's still question as to whether DQIX can make it to 5 Million. I think it'll have to hang out with WSR and Tomodachi for a few more months to make that happen, but it's falling week after week.

test_account

XP-39C²
Frillen said:
So it would've been #3 if it released this week most likely. Halo 3 ODST in the 25k-30k area?
Ye, i think that 25k-30k might be right for Halo 3: ODST :)

EDIT: Oh, i see now that Sinobi mentioned 33k for Halo 3: ODST, but it was in the 25k-30k area at least as you said :)

test_account

XP-39C²
slaughterking said:
PS3: 50.000
WII: 13.000 (?)

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/
Could this be due to the Silver Week effect? PS3 sales hasnt dropped that much compared to the previous week and the Wii sales are actually not that bad as i might have expected, at least in my opinion, concidering that the Wii pricedrop was announced on a Thursday, and then there were still 3-4 days (depending on which time of the day when the Wii pricedrop was announced on a Thursday) on left of the week.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Absolutely great hold for PS3. I guess spwolf isn't going anywhere for a while :lol

DMeisterJ

Banned
bttb said:
Famitsu Sales: 09/21 - 09/27

DSL 10000
DSi 66000
PSP 20000
Wii 13000
PS3 50000
PS2 3500
360 3700

01. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (Pokemon) - 166,000 / 2,068,000
02. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 90,000 / 1,156,000
03. [PS3] Tales of Vesperia (Bandai Namco Games) - 45,000 / 272,000
04. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 4 (Konami) - 43,000 / 151,000
05. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 34,000 / 1,194,000
06. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Hoshizora no Mamoribito (Square Enix) - 34,000 / 3,925,000
07. [360] Halo 3: ODST (Microsoft) - 33,000 / NEW
08. [NDS] SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu - Goddess of Destiny (Square Enix) - 29,000 / 30,000
09. [PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 4 (Konami) - 14,000 / 66,000
10. [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (BEST) (Square Enix) - 11,000 / 41,000

11. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (BEST) (Capcom) - 11,000 / 1,007,000
12. [PSP] Ys Seven (Nihon Falcom) - 10,000 / 53,000
13. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) - 9,100 / 909,000
14. [NDS] Sloane to MacHale no Nazo no Monogatari 2 (Level 5) - 8,100 / 52,000
15. [WII] Forever Blue 2: Umi no Yobigoe (Nintendo) - 7,700 / 25,000
16. [PS3] Kidou Senshi Gundam Senki (Bandai Namco Games) - 6,800 / 210,000
17. [NDS] Love Plus (Konami) - 6,400 / 81,000
18. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 6,300 / 3,536,000
20. [NDS] Puyo Puyo 7 (Sega) - 5,800 / 169,000
21. [NDS] Nihon Keizai Shinbunsha Kanshuu: Shiranai Mama dewa Son wo Suru - Mono ya Okane no Shikumi DS (Nintendo) - 4,800 / 47,000
22. [PSP] 428: Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de (Spike) - 4,700 / 21,000
24. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 4,000 / 2,333,000
25. [PSP] Taikou Risshiden V (Koei) - 3,900 / 11,000
26. [NDS] Idolmaster: Dearly Stars (Bandai Namco Games) - 3,900 / 37,000
27. [PSP] Samurai Dou 2 Portable (Spike) - 3,700 / 27,000
28. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 3,600 / 5,074,000
29. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) - 3,400 / 3,508,000
30. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (BEST) (Konami) - 3,300 / 37,000

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1254216326/351
http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1254216326/352

WOW

Are those PS3 sales real?

schuelma

Pureauthor said:
Wii continues its downward spiral of wasted potential.

Well, this week does include the 3-4 days when the price cut was announced.

If next week is still PS3>Wii then Nintendo has a serious problem.

test_account said:
Could this be due to the Silver Week effect? PS3 sales hasnt dropped too much and the Wii sales are actually not that bad, at least in my opinion, concidering that the Wii pricedrop was announced on a Thursday, and then there were still 3-4 days (depending on which time of the day when the Wii pricedrop was announced on a Thursday) on left of the week.

No, I think it's more likely that the redesign and price cut are leading to a more extended bump than expected. The release of Vesperia and Silver Week may have helped a little, but I think the big driver here is the Slim itself.

Next week will be very interesting, as I expect a decent increase for the Wii but I'm not sure whether we'll see it go anywhere near the PS3 - IIRC the price cut just isn't the same, the Wii was already in reasonably affordable territory and it doesn't have the appeal of a new design.

schuelma

Oh and MH Tri actually went up this week. I think we'll see a million sooner or later especially with the price cut and the holiday's coming up.

DMeisterJ said:
WOW

Are those PS3 sales real?

no. it's your imagination.

When does Wii Price cut go into effect?

schuelma said:
Well, this week does include the 3-4 days when the price cut was announced.

If next week is still PS3>Wii then Nintendo has a serious problem.

Oh i see now.

Maybe needs more colors and another price cut.

Stumpokapow said:
saga 2 plummets, saga franchise dead!

oct 1 with wii fit plus, many stores have this advertised or have stopped selling wiis until then according to anecdotes

Can't wait to see next week then.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
saga 2 plummets, saga franchise dead!

DMPrince said:
When does Wii Price cut go into effect?

oct 1 with wii fit plus, many stores have this advertised or have stopped selling wiis until then according to anecdotes

Wow, I guess there will be a lot of doubters coming in to say they were wrong.

Nah, they'll probably just say "Wait till next week, it will be down to 25k."

Edit: Also, glad to see Ys is still fairly high on the list!

schuelma

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Wow, I guess there will be a lot of doubters coming in to say they were wrong.

Nah, they'll probably just say "Wait till next week, it will be down to 25k."

Maybe you should like read the thread before you post something like this.

schuelma said:
Maybe you should like read the thread before you post something like this.

I did? There were a lot of people who said there was little to no chance of the PS3 repeating the 50k mark. I guess what I typed seemed like a bit of a troll, but it was more of a commentary on the pessimistic outlook many seemed to have had over whether or not the price drop was really effective.

gogogow

Next week is gonna be really interesting. Wii and PSP pricecuts alongside the great peformance of the PS3 slim in recent weeks.

I guess the Playstation brandname is still firmly entrenched in the minds of Japanese gamers (as a home console). If it seriously maintains this sort of strength up until FFXIII hits then... well...something huge.

Yoboman

Well I hope PS3 keeps it up, I'd hope it's an effect like the PSP originally had... It's just that...eventually, software seems to dry up. There's no flow of regular games

Minsc said:
Most impressive, PS3.

PS3 > Wii YTD is starting to look like a certainty now.

Certainty is a bit strong, we have to see what effect the Wii price drop will have. Also while PS3 has FFXIII, there's not really much else that looks like it'll significantly boost hardware sales. A 50k hold for this week is more than most expected, but I don't think we are far enough out of the relaunch period to tell whether that's totally sustainable, although I figure that it does indicate that the baseline has shifted up more than people were expecting.

Still it's a nice chunk of change out of the Wii's YTD lead.

Next week will be pretty awesome numbers wise. It will be interesting to see if the market will tolerate three systems selling at 50k units a week. I severely doubt it though. I think the Wii and the DS are going to effectively steal the PS3 thunder.

Edit: Not that the DSi hasn't been already :lol

Road

I keep underestimating the PS3. I don't think even Sony was expecting a 3rd week over 50k after the 2nd week. Haha Was there no ToV bump last week at all?

Mr.NiceGuy

Banned
50k for PS3 to me is unexplainable.

03. [PS3] Tales of Vesperia (Bandai Namco Games) - 45,000 / 272,000

Here's your fucking money Namco, now localize the game.

oh and bring Ace Combat to PS3 you stupid morons.

cvxfreak

I was pretty damn sure of the PS3 Slim performing phenomenally after launch. Sometimes intuition works to your favor. It honestly helps to live in the most populated part of Japan, where you can gauge interest based on advertising, store space, and general sentiment. I wasn't BSing when I said it would be huge a month ago.

The Wii after its price drop, however, I honestly am not too sure of. Of course it'll boost sales, but I don't think Japanese gamers were clamoring to save ¥5000 the way people obviously wanted to save another ¥10,000 before buying a PS3. We'll see starting tomorrow.

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Next week will be pretty awesome numbers wise. It will be interesting to see if the market will tolerate three systems selling at 50k units a week. I severely doubt it though. I think the Wii and the DS are going to effectively steal the PS3 thunder.

Edit: Not that the DSi hasn't been already :lol

I dont think so, it appears to be the opposite. The PS3 is stealing the Wii's thunder, and has been for a little while now.

obaidr

Banned
so if the price was already slashed in this week, then i was right about the market potential of the Wii in Japan at least. Maybe japan is more software driven then US and EU. since there are no big titels coming which attract to new Wii owners people dont buy the Wii at very high rate. I think we can compare Mario to Halo. When Halo 3 was released in the US couple of years ago the Hardware sale numbers moved up by a very tiny rate since the Halo audience was already on the train. Other titles moved the Hardware much stronger then Halo 3 did, even if it was THE game for Xbox360 like GTA or Mass Effect. We could see the same effect for the Wii. The market potential of the Wii on the Mario and Zelda Market could already be almost maxed out. New big titles like Monster Hunter would mean big jump for the Hardware but Mario and Zelda and Sports Resort not so much but where are they?

The PS3 seems to live from the word of mouth right now, since we didnt had any big releases this week. Also the fact that CoD4 is in the charts could be a indicator for that. People buy PS3s with the new price tag not because of new but also because of existing software on the system. I strongly believe the people who bought CoD4 are late to market adopters who just entered the PS3 market and now jump on such titles like CoD4 because they can get them for cheap and heard a lot of good stuff about it.

schuelma

cvxfreak said:
I was pretty damn sure of the PS3 Slim performing phenomenally after launch. Sometimes intuition works to your favor. It honestly helps to live in the most populated part of Japan, where you can gauge interest based on advertising, store space, and general sentiment. I wasn't BSing when I said it would be huge a month ago.

The Wii after its price drop, however, I honestly am not too sure of. Of course it'll boost sales, but I don't think Japanese gamers were clamoring to save ¥5000 the way people obviously wanted to save another ¥10,000 before buying a PS3. We'll see starting tomorrow.

Yeah..I'm not too sure. I wouldn't be surprised if the "bump" is to like 35-40K which wouldn't be very impressive.

gogogow

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Next week will be pretty awesome numbers wise. It will be interesting to see if the market will tolerate three systems selling at 50k units a week.
Don't you mean 4 systems?

Oct 1st:
- PSP pricecut
- PSP GT bundle
- GTPSP
- Macross
- Minna no Sukkiri

Top Bottom