• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Sep 14 - 20, 2009

BlazingDarkness said:
would it be silly to suggest that the PS3 is taking away from PSP numbers?
The PSP has been really low numbers since around the time the Slim released

Perhaps many Japanese decided to buy a PSP in favor of PS3 because it was a less expensive option?

The PSP has - IIRC - been slowly declining for a lot longer than that.

FrankT

Stopsign said:
I bet it drops to below 40k next week. In fact, I'd be very surprised if it didn't. I guess we'll just have to wait and see though.

Not that far of a stretch considering MC could definitely be in the mid 40s this week based on the week over week Famitsu drop, and especially so with the Wii price drop. Anyhow, I expected PS3 to be on high end now at lower 40Ks so it has done better than I thought to this point, but this week things shall get interesting from here until NSMB and FFXIII.

Dragona Akehi said:
You really aren't very good at sales analysis are you?

Never has been.

gerg

spwolf said:
there will be next week, next week, just like it was last week.

Saying "next week" now cannot refer to some random week in the future. It always refers to the period of seven days starting immediately after the end of the current seven-day period. It's not like saying "I'll start my diet on Wednesday", where there is ambiguity regarding which Wednesday in question.

I get your point, but if you're going to be pedantic I'd be correct about it.

spwolf

Eteric Rice said:
So it's going to remain 50k forever?

k.

hardly... but there is an difference between 50k and 15k that everyone was predicting it will settle to just yesterday.

but there is always next week, right? :)

test_account

XP-39C²
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I guess it depends on what you mean by stealing thunder. I meant more along the lines of narrowing the current gap between the system sales, but yeah, the way you put it is also true.
Ah ok, like that, i understand. Ye, the gap between the PS3 and the Wii will definitly be smaller next week indeed, that is true as you say :)

Stopsign said:
Hmmm... it looks like you're right. It could be having a more pronounced effect on the PS3 because it does have a new model out. Even without the holiday I bet the PS3 would have been around 45k anyways, so it really probably is negligible.
I thought so too, but in afterthought i forgot that also the PSP also had an announced price drop last week, just like the Wii did. That might explain why the PSP and the Wii didnt see a increase in hardware sales this week. But the DS Lite, the DSi, the PS2 and the Xbox 360 didnt really see any boost in hardware sales either, and these systems havnt had any upcoming pricedrop announced, so maybe the Silver Week didnt have that much affect on the overall consoles sales indeed (except for Tomodachi Collection as you mentioned, and maybe MH3 as well, but could it be that MH3's sales will stabelize around 8k-10k each week from now on?).

But ye, it might be that the PS3 in particular gained a bit of extra sales because of Silver Week because there is a new PS3 model out now as you say, but i also think that the PS3 sales would have been rather good this week like you say even if it wasnt Silver Week last week, i agree :)

EDIT: And speaking of Monster Hunter, i just noticed that MHP2G (Best re-release) has now passed 1 million copies sold. Congratulations, Capcom! :)

ZoddGutts

Dolla Dolla said:
Not counting the slim launch, it's the third week of 50k, as DMJ says.

(MC) 8/31 - 9/6 - 151k (slim launch)
(MC) 9/7 - 9/13 - 55k
(MC) 9/14 - 9/20 - 51k (Vesperia)
(Fam) 9/21 - 9/27 - 50k

Pretty good drop, don't see it dropping below 45k next week. TOV will cross 300k next week nice. When was the last time a home console Tales game cross the 300k mark?

gerg

spwolf said:
hardly... but there is an difference between 50k and 15k that everyone was predicting it will settle to just yesterday.

IIRC, no one was suggesting that the PS3 would drop like a stone to selling 15k now, but that it would see a steady decline in sales because, in theory, the price drop and the hardware revision did not produce a substantial effect on promoting interest in the console. There shouldn't be a false dichotomy only between selling 15 thousand units a week or selling 50 thousand units a week. It might be the case that the PS3's sales will eventually settle at 30 thousand units a week, and that the current week's sales are the remnants of a Vesperia-induced bump in interest. It is too early to tell.

AFreak

Banned
gerg said:
IIRC, no one was suggesting that the PS3 would drop like a stone to selling 15k now, but that it would see a steady decline in sales because, in theory, the price drop and the hardware revision did not produce a substantial effect on promoting interest in the console. There shouldn't be a false dichotomy only between selling 15 thousand units a week or selling 50 thousand units a week. It might be the case that the PS3's sales will eventually settle at 30 thousand units a week, and that the current week's sales are the remnants of a Vesperia-induced bump in interest. It is too early to tell.

What do you mean it didn't have a substantial effect? it went from under 10k to 150k in a week. The theory was obviously busted from the start.

gerg

AFreak said:
What do you mean it didn't have a substantial effect? it went from under 10k to 150k in a week. The theory was obviously busted from the start.

"Substantial" may have been the wrong word. "Long-term" would probably have been a better phrase, although I'd argue that the substantial effect is the one that induces a long-term effect. An immediate bump in hardware sales, however big or small, should be expected.

spwolf

gerg said:
I get your point, but if you're going to be pedantic I'd be correct about it.

i was not being pendantic, it is just silly to read same crap week after week.
150k for launch obviously was not an fluke, and 3 weeks of 50k were not fluke.

I dont know what is going to happen next month, year, decade, i would guess that it will be mostly determined by constant influx of games which dont have to be huge releases, but constant stream of decent games and competitive pricing and big release every quarter or so.

It is same shit with Wii and PSP. If Sony managed to get support, again, for PSP, despite generally bad software sales on PSP, then anyone could do it. There is no big conspiracy of 3rd parties, they are just businesses trying to make money.

gerg

spwolf said:
i was not being pendantic, it is just silly to read same crap week after week.
150k for launch obviously was not an fluke, and 3 weeks of 50k were not fluke.

I don't know who you're arguing against. No one is suggesting that the PS3's sales have been a "fluke".

People are wondering how much demand the PS3's relaunch has created. This is certainly not clear.

It is same shit with Wii and PSP. If Sony managed to get support, again, for PSP, despite generally bad software sales on PSP, then anyone could do it. There is no big conspiracy of 3rd parties, they are just businesses trying to make money.

Has the software support for the PSP changed?

And again, who is arguing that there's a "conspiracy of third parties"?

jrricky said:
Media Create threads are getting interesting again.:D

Meh, the show has jumped the shark. I liked it better in the first 2 seasons with Monorojo and Tabris. Lancestern and jimbo were good too, but the writing went to shit after that.

mj1108

DeaconKnowledge said:
Meh, the show has jumped the shark. I liked it better in the first 2 seasons with Monorojo and Tabris. Lancestern and jimbo were good too, but the writing went to shit after that.

I don't think anything can beat the comedic writings of Monorojo and Tabris from the first 2 seasons.

jman2050

DeaconKnowledge said:

One of the later seasons did give us the hilarious spinoff show starring ioi though.

wrowa

schuelma said:
If next week is still PS3>Wii then Nintendo has a serious problem.
Well, in the past Iwata has shown that he's aware that a price cut only helps to bump the sales for a relatively short period of time. He knows that a price cut alone isn't enough to solve the problems a console has when it struggles.

That Nintendo are cutting the price now shows imo that they are aware of the problems the Wii currently has, but that they don't know how they can actually solve these problems (that their christmas releases are an extension to one of their most successfull Wii games and a successor to one of their most successful DS games backs this statement up, I think. They are lacking of new ideas for Wii games). A price cut will help the sales of the consoles now, but what will happen in three months? Will it again sell 10-20k consoles a week? Or even worse?

gerg

spwolf said:
what? You mean from nobody will do games for PSP in 2008 to everyone will do games for PSP in 2009?

I don't think that the support the PSP is getting this year is anything special, such that it will do anything for the hardware. Monster Hunter is keeping the platform alive, and not much else is. Of course, more games are being released for the platform - I don't seek to deny this.

spwolf

gerg said:
I don't know who you're arguing against. No one is suggesting that the PS3's sales have been a "fluke".

People are wondering how much demand the PS3's relaunch has created. This is certainly not clear.

with myself obviously :lol

gerg

spwolf said:
with myself obviously :lol

fbz76u.jpg

The PS3's relaunch has created a small(ish) demand for the console =/= the PS3's sales have been a "fluke".

Unless my memory fails me, there was nothing special about the week when the Wii sold 46,000 units for the second time. It was just another week. However, this didn't stop it from then dropping to 20-odd-thousands units the next. Why would this not be the same with the PS3, but extended over a longer period of time? It may very well be the case that the PS3 has created demand that lasts for a longer time, but not one that doesn't eventually die out.

test_account

XP-39C²
I see that "monorojo" have been mentioned a few times recently. Out of curiousity, what did he/she say or do?

spwolf said:

As gerg mentioned, i dont think that anyone ment to say that the PS3 would sell 15k this week. I think that maybe i was the first one who mentioned 15k for the PS3 yesterday, but i didnt mean to predict that the PS3 would sell 15k on a weekly basis in for example 2-3 weeks from now. I just wanted to mention that if the PS3 managed to sell 15k as the lowest number for 1 week in about a 1 year period from now on (which also might mean that the weekly PS3 baseline will increase), that would at least be a small improvement from the several of ~10k weeks that we have seen with the PS3 earlier :) But when i mentioned the 15k, it was more of a "what if" situation if you know what i mean? I dont really have any predictions at this point how much the PS3 will keep on selling.

gerg said:
I don't think that the support the PSP is getting this year is anything special, such that it will do anything for the hardware. Monster Hunter is keeping the platform alive, and not much else is. Of course, more games are being released for the platform - I don't seek to deny this.
I do agree that Monster Hunter Portable 2G is probably one of the factors that keeps the PSP hardware sales up, but i do wonder if all the other PSP games also factors in for the PSP hardware sales. Maybe not some particular PSP game(s) does much for the hardware alone, like for example Monster Hunter does, but what if we combine all the PSP games together?

Generally speaking, a platform that has a good library of games might make a platform appealing, at least in my opinion. Maybe people arent interested to buy a platform just for one particular game, but if they see that a platform has several of games that they find a bit interesting, maybe these games combined might result in that they buy the platform :) This situation cat fit every platform though, and not just the PSP.

gerg

test_account said:
I do agree that Monster Hunter Portable 2G is probably one of the factors that keeps the PSP hardware sales up, but i do wonder if all the other PSP games also factors in for the PSP hardware sales. Maybe not some particular PSP game(s) does much for the hardware alone, like for example Monster Hunter does, but what if we combine all the PSP games together? A platform that has a good library of games might make the platform appealing, at least in my opinion :)

My point would be to suggest that the games being now released for the PSP - due to this seemingly new wave of development for the platform - are not very distinct to games already available for the platform. Monster Hunter provided a gameplay element that had not been at all prevalent on the platform, thus fulfilling a demand that had not been satisfied. Outside of Kingdom Hearts, I'm not sure the same can be said for the rest of the PSP's line-up, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Fularu

Banned
donny2112 said:
The Wii is still doing okay and looks to do really well with the price cut in the U.S. Reggie is fine. It's Japan that's been stuck in neutral since Wii Fit released.

I haven't seen anything (or found anything) regarding the wii numbers since the price cut... isn't it a bit early to tell? It happened 4 days ago

spwolf

gerg said:
My point would be to suggest that the games being now released for the PSP - due to this seemingly new wave of development for the platform - are not very distinct to games already available for the platform. Monster Hunter provided a gameplay element that had not been at all prevalent on the platform, thus fulfilling a demand that had not been satisfied. Outside of Kingdom Hearts, I'm not sure the same can be said for the rest of the PSP's line-up, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

seeming
: outwardly or superficially evident but not true or real

:lol

Our own thread about new PSP Games:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357478

What i was saying is that if Sony managed such turnaround in developer support for PSP platform, Nintendo could if they really wanted to for the Wii. And then you would not have to look at 13-18k weeks for Wii.

There has been certainly an turnaround to PSP development as in 2007/2008 nobody wanted to develop for PSP anymore, while now we all major devs are working on PSP games, with huge games being released such as GT, MGS, .

Weather it will be successful or not, it is question to be answered in time, but denying growth of PSP development is just silly. I am sure Sony had to do everything in their power to secure so much development for platform with traditionally low software sales.

Nintendo can do the same for Wii - if they wanted to.

gerg

spwolf said:

Seeming:

–adjective
  1. apparent; appearing, whether truly or falsely, to be as specified: a seeming advantage.

Or, alternatively:

–verb (used without object)
  1. to appear to be, feel, do, etc.: She seems better this morning.
  2. to appear to one's own senses, mind, observation, judgment, etc.: It seems to me that someone is calling.
  3. to appear to exist: There seems no need to go now.
  4. to appear to be true, probable, or evident: It seems likely to rain.
  5. to give the outward appearance of being or to pretend to be: He only seems friendly because he wants you to like him.

I can define words too.

Weather it will be successful or not, it is question to be answered in time, but denying growth of PSP development is just silly. I am sure Sony had to do everything in their power to secure so much development for platform with traditionally low software sales.

I never meant to deny that there were more games in development for the PSP now than there were previously. Either you misunderstood me or I phrased myself badly or both.

test_account

XP-39C²
gerg said:
Does "distinct" means that the games are different from other games? English isnt my first language, sorry :\ But if this is what distinct means, i havnt really followed too much of which PSP games that are going to be released, so unfortunately i cant say for sure which PSP games that are coming, but is it only games that are very distinct that can boost the hardware sales though?

gerg

test_account said:
Does "distinct" means that the games are different from other games? English isnt my first language, sorry. But if this is what distinct means, i havnt really followed too much of which PSP games that are going to be released, so unfortunately i cant say for sure which PSP games that are coming, but is it only games that are very distinct that can boost the hardware sales though?

"Distinct" is very similar to "different", yes. I think the word also suggests being more special and separate from the rest, as well. I hope that helps.

Regarding your question, I don't want to deny that the volume of a console's games library alone cannot encourage someone to buy that console. However, I find it hard to believe that - for the vast majority of people, that is - the PSP's library isn't that large. It's not the case that the PSP only has five games, for example, such that the release of a sixth - however different or similar it is to other titles for the platform - would be a significant event. As a result, I don't think that if you've passed upon the PSP - despite its collection of, say, action adventure games - another one would be especially convincing, unless that title was especially unique in some way or another. I don't think the problem was ever that there weren't enough action adventure games on the PSP, but that people weren't interested in them on the whole.

Ultimately, what I can say about the effect the PSP's line-up could have on its sales is limited by my relative (lack of) knowledge about it. As a result, if people can correct me on the matter, please do. I have the feeling I may be out of my depth here.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well, well, well. Media Create threads are getting interesting again.

When does Tales of Graces come out?

I see Dragona was already in with our weekly Wii-dropped the ball news flash. Let's not forget that tag bet, it's important!

LiquidMetal14 said:

I see Dragona was already in with our weekly Wii-dropped the ball news flash. Let's not forget that tag bet, it's important!

Dude.

uhoh.gif

PS: This thread needs less stupid laughing smilies. If you need to use them, you obviously don't have a point.

jman2050

LiquidMetal14 said:

I didn't anticipate Dragona becoming a recurring character. That's actually a pretty good twist for this season.

markatisu

Fularu said:
I haven't seen anything (or found anything) regarding the wii numbers since the price cut... isn't it a bit early to tell? It happened 4 days ago

Then you have not been paying attention, over the weekend there was a massive spike over at Amazon.

Not that it means a hell of a lot concrete sales wise but when you go from having only a few entries to the system taking #1 and its games outside of Halo ODST dominate the sales chart it gives a hint something bigger is happening nationwide

Remember the Wii was already outselling the 360 and PS3 (no longer combined though), it would not take much in the US to boost the Wii back up to a peak of ridiculous

Road

Despite the great performance, the PS3 barely beat the DS in September:
Code:
      Total     week 1  week 2  week 3  week 4

PS3  310,000   150,832  54,289  55,000  50,000 
NDS  297,000    64,667  75,632  81,000  76,000 
PSP   84,000    22,545  19,837  22,000  20,000 
WII   61,000    18,087  15,279  15,000  13,000 
360   19,000     4,614   6,854   4,000   3,700 
PS2   13,000     3,688   3,174   2,900   3,500
October could be very disputed (if you exclude the DS...).

Serenity

Road said:
Code:

Aren't DS sales good to great though?

Hypereides

Gold Member
Personally I will expect a severe drop in PS3 sales next week.

Right about now the initial shipment should be completely sold out.

People shouldnt be surprised if it lands at 30k next week. But I will be positively surprised if it manages to float around 45~50k yet again.

spwolf

gerg said:
Regarding your question, I don't want to deny that the volume of a console's games library alone cannot encourage someone to buy that console. However, I find it hard to believe that - for the vast majority of people, that is - the PSP's library isn't that large. It's not the case that the PSP only has five games, for example, such that the release of a sixth - however

you are completly wrong, otherwise people would not buy all the Maddens, PES's, and CODs year after year. People get attracted to marketing from new games and buy systems.

Constant stream of quality releases are crucial to any systems success... proven by both PS2 and Wii.

VegaShinra

Road said:
Code:

Solid numbers overall for the month. PS3 finally wins a month in Japan.

gerg

spwolf said:
you are completly wrong, otherwise people would not buy all the Maddens, PES's, and CODs year after year.

I was referring to why people buy hardware, so I'm unsure as to why you bring up the reasons why people buy software.

Constant stream of quality releases are crucial to any systems success... proven by both PS2 and Wii.

I never denied this.

Fularu

Banned
markatisu said:
Then you have not been paying attention, over the weekend there was a massive spike over at Amazon.

Not that it means a hell of a lot concrete sales wise but when you go from having only a few entries to the system taking #1 and its games outside of Halo ODST dominate the sales chart it gives a hint something bigger is happening nationwide

Remember the Wii was already outselling the 360 and PS3 (no longer combined though), it would not take much in the US to boost the Wii back up to a peak of ridiculous
I thought we laughed at the "amazon charts" card

DMeisterJ

Banned
Road said:
Code:

What the fuck happened to the PSP?

Top Bottom