• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2013 (Mar 11 - Mar 17)

It sold about 350k lifetime, IIRC. If it beats that first week...

The first game was not on a console of 10M.
----------------
On another note; can any gaffers explain the culture behind game retailers having blogs? It seems very often we get posts.

Did anyone say that DMC sold bad only because it was developed by a western developer?

It wasn't wide spread but you had one or two suggestions yeah. Usually crap, it just annoys me so I probably make more of it than I should.

Nekki

We have already some reports of Luigi's Mansion 2 explosive sales.

According to GamesMaya a clear Victory for Luigi's Mansion against One Piece 2 in his store.

http://gamesmaya.blog98.fc2.com/

Azalyn reported higher sales than New Super Mario 2 in his store.

Year of Luigi confirmed.

I can see 300k being a lock for opening week.

Although of course, as with the "Vita is selling 1.5x last week"comment, these should be taken as what they are. IIIRC, Azalyn never gets too many Nintendo preorders anyways.

serplux

The first game was not on a console of 10M.
----------------
On another note; can any gaffers explain the culture behind game retailers having blogs? It seems very often we get posts.

That's still a monster expansion for a sequel! If it were to sell a million, that would be beyond astounding.

test_account

XP-39C²
It wasn't wide spread but you had one or two suggestions yeah. Usually crap, it just annoys me so I probably make more of it than I should.
I would guess that it was more ment as since DMC was developed by another developer team (which happened to be a western developer), that this affected the sales. But if it was ment as just being a western developed game and that this was the main reason, i dont think that is the case, i agree with you on that.

Generally speaking, i wonder how many that pays attention to if the developer is japanese or western. With Luigi's Mansion 2, i actually didnt know that it was western developed before now. Everything i've seen from the game looks exactly like something Nintendo Japan would have made.

big youth

So in last 3 weels Vita:
sold 150k consoles (10% of existing userbase up to that point)
moved nearly 400k games (compared to 2100k yearly total in 2012)
had something like 250-300k downloads of F2P PSO2
got 5 new titles annouced (3 being Vita only not ports)

and somehow it's in worse position ?

Yes because you're ignoring the big picture.

Vita had a price drop, so all the hardware sales made less revenue/lost more money for Sony. this will be true for future Vita sales as well.

Soul Sacrifice, Vita's last potential system seller was nothing more than a modest success.

Or, to give a bad analogy, Vita had the bases loaded (price drop, SS, Hatsune Miku, SS bundle) and needed a grand slam to stay in the game, but merely got a single. With all the cards on the table the future looks very bleak. Even if Vita stabalized at 30k in Japan (not happening) it's not even close to enough. The poor sales are worldwide and chronic.

Vita had a price drop, so all the hardware sales made less revenue/lost more money for Sony. this will be true for future Vita sales as well.

Soul Sacrifice, Vita's last potential system seller was nothing more than a modest success.

Or, to give a bad analogy, Vita had the bases loaded (price drop, SS, Hatsune Miku, SS bundle) and needed a grand slam to stay in the game, but merely got a single. With all the cards on the table the future looks very bleak. Even if Vita stabalized at 30k in Japan (not happening) it's not even close to enough. The poor sales are worldwide and chronic.

Miku was the PS3 version, Vita one came out last year.

test_account

XP-39C²

Its not like the Vita sales were looking much less bleak before though. And if the sales would stabilize at 30k, that would be a lot better than before, and then it would have no problem staying on the market for years, especially in Japan (or what do you mean with it being not enough?). But i see your point.

By the way, the recent release of Hatsune Miku was the PS3 version. The Vita version was released about half a year ago.

It sold about 350k lifetime, IIRC. If it beats that first week...

Very possible. As I said, it was sold at at Geo, Aeon, and Yamada in my town by 3:30 yesterday, at least the physical copies. Even the store I bought it from only had 2 copies left once I bought mine. It was either under-shipped to the area, or it's selling well.

----------------

Japan is one of the largest blogging nations in the world, if I recall correctly. Everything from bars, to gyms, to clothing shops have blogs.

Dalthien

Glad to see it doing well, even though this is anecdotal. Next Level Games deserve this.

They've had a really good run going with Nintendo. Mario Strikers Charged is well past a million, I don't have numbers for Europe, but Punch-Out! should be over a million, and Luigi's Mansion is a lock to fly well past a million.

They've had a really good run going with Nintendo. Mario Strikers Charged is well past a million, I don't have numbers for Europe, but Punch-Out! should be over a million, and Luigi's Mansion is a lock to fly well past a million.

WW, Luigi's Mansion 1 sold about 3.5 million on a less successful platform, but it had the advantage of being a launch title.

I would say that outselling the original's Japanese numbers should be a lock, though.

Dalthien

WW, Luigi's Mansion 1 sold about 3.5 million on a less successful platform, but it had the advantage of being a launch title.

I would say that outselling the original's Japanese numbers should be a lock, though.

Well yeah - but it kept selling as a $20 Player's Choice title for years. LM2 will eventually get into the multiple millions total as well. But it's doing so as an entry into a series that has been dormant for 11.5 years. Not too many series bounce back strong after being abandoned for 10+ years. Super Mario Bros. is another one, with NSMB coming 11 years after Yoshi's Island. And Kid Icarus should be really close to a million, more than 20 years after the previous entry. But it's pretty rare.

Oh, and Punch-Out is another one, coming 15 years after the SNES game. So Next-Level has now successfully revived two 10+ year dormant franchises. Pretty impressive.

Luigi has had a nice slow build of hype, and many people could see the incremental improvements and progress made by the development team. Within the last couple of weeks with the preliminary impressions and reviews all being positive to glowing, I could sort of sense a sales increase coming for the title. I'm excited to see what the eventual outcome is, Next Level seems to have really poured their hearts into this game.

Jonnyram

It's not the last potential system seller at all.
It's only been out two weeks and we have no idea whether it will have legs or not yet.
No hints about digital sales have been dropped.
In the last five years, the only Sony IPs with better initial sales have been GT and White Knight Chronicles.

Oh, and Punch-Out is another one, coming 15 years after the SNES game. So Next-Level has now successfully revived two 10+ year dormant franchises. Pretty impressive.

As has Retro :p Coincidence? Maybe it's just that Nintendo likes their Western partners to do revivals now.

In the last five years, the only Sony IPs with better initial sales have been GT and White Knight Chronicles.

That says more about Sony's IPs, I think.

DaBoss

SS did ok, Vita needed it to do more than OK though.

image.php

How is that difficult to understand?

That only 2 new IP from Sony have beaten SS's (admittedly entirely respectable) figures showcases the fact that Sony struggles to establish new IP that grab the market.

Sony's first-party weaknesses are hardly unheard of by this point.

Skyzard

Banned
How is that difficult to understand?

That only 2 new IP from Sony have beaten SS's (admittedly entirely respectable) figures showcases the fact that Sony struggles to establish new IP that grab the market.

Sony's first-party weaknesses are hardly unheard of by this point.

Sorry my bad for some reason I thought he was saying Sony IPs sell better as time goes on :S

LOCK

I so hope that Luigi's Mansion 2 is a break away hit. Like close to 1mil hit. I wonder if it will develop legs.

Azull

SS and vita holding up that's good, was hoping for a bit more but that was me being a little bit too optimistic.

Afrit

Unfortunately, Vita does not have a solid release schedule at all, in 2013. Problem also is that the main games will be released all aimed at the same audience that might well be already present on the platform.

Is it possible that the same audience in question which present on vita can expand? I mean it's not like it was proven that every single otaku in japan into those kind of games own a vita yet.

If those kind of games keep getting new announcements in a similar pacing like what happened recently, could it help to stabilize the vita in a slightly better position than pre-price-cut?

I'm still a newbie here, just wondering. #the world god only knows!

tumblr_mh76lp4OCw1r37arko1_500.gif

I missed this before.
Unfortunately, Vita does not have a solid release schedule at all, in 2013. Problem also is that the main games will be released all aimed at the same audience that might well be already present on the platform.
Frankly, I think you could replace Vita with Wii U in that statement and it would still hold; so I'm not so sure how grounded optimism for a major turnaround there is either.

I guess ymmv on how much you think 3D Mario, Mario Kart and 2D Mario are aimed broadly at the same markets/audiences.

My god, AC:NL has a 26 week lead over WW. My god.

I do think the gap is going to widen, since Animal Crossing: New Leaf is having its Golden Week in a month or so, and there usually sales tend to increase; Wild World, instead, was having its decline at the same point in time after the launch.

It's not the last potential system seller at all.
It's only been out two weeks and we have no idea whether it will have legs or not yet.
No hints about digital sales have been dropped.

Which potential sellers are you referring to? Muramasa? God Eater 2?
Anyway, it's true that Soul Sacrifice is selling better than 90% of previous Sony IPs in Japan, but it's also true that I never saw a Sony IP pushed so much over there. A lot of advertisement, bundles, demo, demo station, etc.

Good luck!

I missed this before.Frankly, I think you could replace Vita with Wii U in that statement and it would still hold; so I'm not so sure how grounded optimism for a major turnaround there is either.

I guess ymmv on how much you think 3D Mario, Mario Kart and 2D Mario are aimed broadly at the same markets/audiences.

Have you ever read a post of mine saying Wii U is in a better position than Vita in 2013? It might be, because we know how strong Nintendo IPs are. But it might not be. And we were talking about Vita, and honestly, how can anyone say that Vita has a solid release schedule in 2013? 3DS has, PS3 also, but Vita? Not even an exclusive game than can crack the 100k mark..

extralite

Why is everyone suddenly not counting the double pack this week?

The drop for SS is definitely closer to 80%.

Famitsu includes the double pack, as well as bundles and download cards:

SOUL SACRIFICE(ソウル・サクリファイス)【ソニー・コンピュータエンタテインメントジャパン】 Vita アクション 2013年03月07日
5980円[税込](“共闘”ダブルパック 7980円[税込]、PlayStation Vita PREMIUM EDITION 24980円[税込]、ダウンロードカード版 5380円[税込]) 26561

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201303/20030565.html

Big picture of blahblahblah doomed posts ?

Have you ever read a post of mine saying Wii U is in a better position than Vita in 2013? It might be, because we know how strong Nintendo IPs are. But it might not be. And we were talking about Vita, and honestly, how can anyone say that Vita has a solid release schedule in 2013? 3DS has, PS3 also, but Vita? Not even an exclusive game than can crack the 100k mark..
The comment was more general than directed towards you. Your post captured a sentiment towards Vita, which I agree with, that doesn't seem to shroud Wii U - wherein a turnaround is expected - and I'm not sure why.

It's entirely plausible that people who would buy a system for Mario Kart U would be the same people who would buy a system for NSMBU; in the same way that more otaku games really aren't going to lift Vita.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This might not be the appropriate place to say this alas, no dedicated thread about these two in a VS fight and this thread seems to contain those two (in a sales perspective, I realize), but I've been meaning to buy Monster Hunter 3DS or Soul Sacrifice; wondering maybe what people on GAF would recommend more.

The comment was more general than directed towards you. Your post captured a sentiment towards Vita, which I agree with, that doesn't seem to shroud Wii U - wherein a turnaround is expected - and I'm not sure why.

It's entirely plausible that people who would buy a system for Mario Kart U would be the same people who would buy a system for NSMBU; in the same way that more otaku games really aren't going to lift Vita.

Perhaps people still expect a turnaround for Wii U because it's just been released...?

Top Bottom