• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2014 (Mar 10 - Mar 16)

JoeM86

9M Wii Us. Billion yen operating profit. No more droughts. Third parties will come on board if we build an installed base. And other such greatest hits of being out of touch with reality.

You say that as if projections are stated as fact, and that they lied. Projections are hopes, what they think will happen. Companies fall short of expectations all the time. It's not an example of Nintendo "lying".

Also, if they build an install base, third parties would come. However, they didn't successfully build one.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Vita being 5k out of 3DS over and over again is such a bizarre position. Its holding really well, while essentially the 3DS is dragging its ass, and yet theyre still both the current hardware leaders.

WiiU lets slip the 8k mark again and now gets to sink and sink until the end of May, another two months.

I guess I should be happy about a decentish Dark Souls 2 number, but that whole debacle still has me sour :(

Tripon

Yeah, but it's not a good comparison, IMO.

Yeah, I'd agree with you there. But its the best available comparison we have right now. The only Feb launches we have recorded are the 3DS recently if you're concerned about comparing month to month launch aligned consoles.

The PS4 just isn't selling well, and the only thing that will change that is games Japan consumers will buy.

Iwata pulling 3DS resources to the QOL initiative. Nintendo looks like a headless chicken that needs to input the abort codes for the nuke (s?) Heading their way.

I weep for our mobile gaming future.

You say that as if projections are stated as fact, and that they lied. Also, if they build an install base, third parties would come. However, they didn't successfully build one.
Projections are [meant to be] stated as realistic expectation based on analysis of market trends and data. They aren't supposed to be entirely nonsensical to begin with and then reiterated twice during the fiscal year before finally having to admit they're nonsensical.

It's an example among several of the company repeatedly saying something that realistically they should know won't eventuate.

I'm not sure why exactly some people are still under some strange illusion that the Wii U isn't a failed endeavor and that Nintendo's resources wouldn't be better spent elsewhere.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't know if Battlefield 4 having better legs than Yakuza Ishin PS4 is a good or bad sign. Seriously.

Well, I guess since the PS4 is going to get a lot more Western games than Japanese games anyway...

But yeah either way these are big sellers unless they hold up for quite some time.

JoeM86

Iwata pulling 3DS resources to the QOL initiative. Nintendo looks like a headless chicken that needs to input the abort codes for the nuke (s?) Heading their way.

I weep for our mobile gaming future.

What evidence do you have that they pulled 3DS resources for the QOL platform?

ba·si·cal·ly : in a general or basic way

Of course MH4G, DQ11, SSB4 and PKMN Z will move hardware, but these are all heavy hitters.

Mario Party would be a system seller years ago, 3DS is past the growth stage. The audience is already there.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The problem is that they made bad predictions / erroneous planning, not that they lied. Or better, most of what argued...other things were lies indeed. But most was bad planning, it's not lying...it's just that things didn't go as they expected, which reflects a problem in their market vision...which can ne considered worse than lying, too.
At least, the mid-to-long term plans this time sound like something much better with things they finally get. Talking about the game business, since the QOL is separated and can't be' judged now, since it's too vague.

Darius

Banned
First four weeks of the most recent system launches

3DS (¥25.000) - LD: February 26th, 2011*

PSV (¥24.980 / ¥29.980) - LD: December 17th, 2011*

Wii U (¥26.250 / ¥31.500) - LD: December 8th, 2012

PS4 LD: (¥41.979 / ¥46.179) - February 22nd, 2014

JoeM86

Projections are [meant to be] stated as realistic expectation based on analysis of market trends and data. They aren't supposed to be entirely nonsensical to begin with and then reiterated twice during the fiscal year before finally having to admit they're nonsensical.

It's an example among several of the company repeatedly saying something that realistically they should know won't eventuate.

I'm not sure why exactly some people are still under some strange illusion that the Wii U isn't a failed endeavor and that Nintendo's resources wouldn't be better spent elsewhere.

Yeah, but it's not them saying something as a fact which then didn't come true. While their analysis was wrong, that does not mean "they say a lot of things" as in they lie.

Hellraider

This doesn't even make any sense. He was responding to someone who said something false - that Nintendo has shown off new games at E3 the last 3 years.

There is a big difference between literally not showing any games (which of course is false) and showing enough, relevant for a sales thread games and also especially for WiiU's case enough games to turn the tides. The games that have the potential to turn tides is what I am talking about and what I believe JoeM86 was also talking about.

I did not say anything false, unless you take it literally.

Asd202

When DQIX came out shouldn't every DQ fan already have a DS?

On a side note I wonder when that DQXI for 3DS will happen :p. I expect it to be the THE game for 3DS in the holidays in Japan.

The problem is that they made bad predictions / erroneous planning, not that they lied. Or better, most of what argued...other things were lies indeed. But most was bad planning, it's not lying...it's just that things didn't go as they expected, which reflects a problem in their market vision...which can ne considered worse than lying, too.

I agree they are losing hard earned credibility at this point.

BlackJace

It will be amazing to see if the Wii U can stay above 5k until Mario Kart 8. Two looooong months ahead y'all.

Vita is vitaing, nice to see.

3DS still in the lead, but needs more cocaine. I doubt Mario Party will do much, but hey.

PS4 is a little disappointing, but the period after the small MG5 demo bump isn't looking too hot at the moment.

PS3 should be winding down at this point.

First four weeks of the most recent system launches

3DS (¥25.000) - LD: February 26th, 2011*

PSV (¥24.980 / ¥29.980) - LD: December 17th, 2011*

Wii U (¥26.250 / ¥31.500) - LD: December 8th, 2012
130.653 ( -57.7%)

PS4 LD: (¥41.979 / ¥46.179) - February 22nd, 2014

Fascinating when put into perspective. This really doesn't look good for anyone but then again 4 weeks sales doesn't show the future picture clearly.

kswiston

When DQIX came out shouldn't every DQ fan already have a DS?

Was DQ11 announced or is this just speculation?

Anyhow, the Dragon Quest titles that came out for DS before DQ9 were all spin-offs and remakes. Makes sense that if those titles capped out at 1.5-1.75M, and a mainline DQ sells 4M, some fans would be without a system at launch.

Pokemon Z (or whatever Nintendo follows up X/Y with) and Monster Hunter 4G are launching on a system that has already seen a previous 3-4M selling mainline entry. I doubt their bump will be that large. Perhaps a limited bundle will boost sales for a week or so, but I think that Smash is the potential system seller out of those 3 games.

JoeM86

It will be amazing to see if the Wii U can stay above 5k until Mario Kart 8. Two looooong months ahead y'all.

Vita is vitaing, nice to see.

3DS still in the lead, but needs more cocaine. I doubt Mario Party will do much, but hey.

PS4 is a little disappointing, but the period after the small MG5 demo isn't looking too hot at the moment.

PS3 should be winding down at this point.

Well the Wii U does have a new bundle coming out next week, the Wii Sports one. That has some potential at boosting sales. Not massively, of course, but it'll see at least a small spike.

Well the Wii U does have a new bundle coming out next week, the Wii Sports one. That has some potential at boosting sales. Not massively, of course, but it'll see at least a small spike.

I hope one of the trackers shows a 101 hardware boost like Famitsu for DK so we can make W101 jokes again.

A much more reasonable explanation is that those resources was being put into Wii U at about this time several years ago. It's not like games are popped out within months or something.

And where will these mythical Wii U games be? Cause they sure aren't released or announced. Do you guys believe that there was no development on the QOL before the announcement? He was using Nintendo resources in my opinion.

crinale

Sadly at this point I'm very skeptical that it would even do any spike.
Hoping to be proven wrong of course...

JoeM86

And where will these mythical Wii U games be? Cause they sure aren't released or announced. Do you guys believe that there was no development on the QOL before the announcement? He was using Nintendo resources in my opinion.

You realise Nintendo have been expanding, right? Also the "mythical" Wii U games are in development. Just because they aren't known doesn't mean they don't exist.
Sadly at this point I'm very skeptical that it would even do any spike.
Hoping to be proven wrong of course...

Wii Sports did well in Japan without being bundled in. Now, a bundle of the latest version, touting online play, with the new console...it could be enticing to some.

Vashetti

Banned
For those asking why did Sony even bother releasing the PS4 in Japan with those numbers: they need to go through this difficult transitional year to build up an install base so Japanese PS4 games don't bomb.

It had to launch at some point, may as well now to get a foothold and get the last of the major launches behind them.

Who cares if you want to call it a "lie"? That isn't the point.

The point is the company isn't going to say things publicly that could damage either investor or consumer confidence if they don't need to.
They aren't going to announce if they've ceased production because they're sitting on 100B+ yen in unsold Wii Us. They aren't going to say publicly if they've scuttled projects for the Wii U in lieu of other current or future platforms. They won't massively downgrade their forecast even when it's clearly unattainable until they absolutely need to. Before companies announce a price cut, they'll repeatedly deny any price cut is forthcoming.

They're going to smile and talk about how people just don't get the Wii U's unique features yet but they've got some magic game in the works that will make it an easy sell. About how there's still lots of software coming and they're going to support the albatross for the long haul.

Actions and outcomes are more important than words in these instances, and the lack of substantial announcements, since I don't even remember when, for the platform and repeated delays of titles speaks volumes more than any platitudes to soothe concerned investors.

Exile20

Where is all of the sports?

Honestly it should have been Wii Sports and resort all in the same game.

Online and upgraded graphics. new features etc.

maxiell

MGS4 bumped PS3 ~60k in Japan, but was that including bundles? I'm not sure if the supply is there for that, or if Ground Zeroes will sell even half as well as MGS4 did Week 1 in Japan. What do other people expect for PS4 next week?

You realise Nintendo have been expanding, right? Also the "mythical" Wii U games are in development. Just because they aren't known doesn't mean they don't exist.

Yep I'm sure Nintendo has a massive catalog of games in "development" for the massive crater of a failure that's the Wii U.

Wii Sports did well in Japan without being bundled in. Now, a bundle of the latest version, touting online play, with the new console...it could be enticing to some.

Dude, even I don't think it'll bump it any. I've got more faith in NES Remix 1+2 than I do that bundle improving sales
(this is hyperbole).

Exile20

Who cares if you want to call it a "lie"? That isn't the point.

The point is the company isn't going to say things publicly that could damage either investor or consumer confidence if they don't need to.
They aren't going to announce if they've ceased production because they're sitting on 100B+ yen in unsold Wii Us. They aren't going to say publicly if they've scuttled projects for the Wii U in lieu of other current or future platforms. They won't massively downgrade their forecast even when it's clearly unattainable until they absolutely need to. Before companies announce a price cut, they'll repeatedly deny any price cut is forthcoming.

They're going to smile and talk about how people just don't get the Wii U's unique features yet but they've got some magic game in the works that will make it an easy sell. About how there's still lots of software coming and they're going to support the albatross for the long haul.

Actions and outcomes are more important than words in these instances, and the lack of substantial announcements, since I don't even remember when, for the platform and repeated delays of titles speaks volumes more than any platitudes to soothe concerned investors.

Nintendo is the most secretive company in the business currently. Nintendo is known to dev games and release the same day as the reveal.

Nintendo is more than willing to say it fucked up, they have been doing it for a while now.

Just gave it a rest. They are in a bad place and they admitted it already.

JoeM86

Dude, even I don't think it'll bump it any. I've got more faith in NES Remix 1+2 than I do that bundle improving sales
(this is hyperbole).

New bundles always have some sort of boost. It'll push it a little. I'm not saying it'll suddenly be at 80k. It'll be like 15k max.

Boogdud

I feel like I'm watching my kid slam home a solid second place in the egg and spoon race on sports day.

My kid that was born without arms and emits an egg-destroying wave every ten seconds.

Damn it Dave. I spit coffee.

I'm proud of your kid too.

MGS4 bumped PS3 ~60k in Japan, but was that including bundles? I'm not sure if the supply is there for that, or if Ground Zeroes will sell even half as well as MGS4 did Week 1 in Japan. What do other people expect for PS4 next week?

Wasnt that more like 70k?

I'm expecting PS4 hw to rise above 50k with the bundles.

Top Bottom