• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2012 (Mar 26 - Apr 01)

graphjap13g.png

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Making it PSP in Japan would've been fine, then porting it for international release. Or at least outsourcing it to h.a.n.d. or another studio so it wouldn't take up internal resources.

So how much more do you think it would have sold in the end, if they had gone with you strategy instead of establishing a quality title on a new system which could probably sell for a couple of years.. ?

Does the 3DS has 'Best Price' games? DS never had those.

DS had "Best Prices" games from SE, Capcom and co.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
So how much more do you think it would have sold in the end, if they had gone with you strategy instead of establishing a quality title on a new system which could probably sell for a couple of years.. ?
Definitely more than this will reach, even if it does have legs it will not reach BbS.

factors I would consider:

* BbS launched almost right after new years. Younger kids have the most disposable income at this time period, making purchases easier. There were also no serious games for the PSP launching at the same time vying for users' mindshare. KI launched a week prior for 3DS, and while not a real series title, the marketing blitz Nintendo's provided likely resulted in some cannibalized sales.
* DS/PSP userbase at time of release. It does take a serious fan to buy a system for a game.
* Number of previous SquareEnix games/RPGs/etc prior to release. This is the big one IMO, Square's obviously shown they're ramping up support for 3DS but we've only seen the start of things. Only thing 3DS has had Square-wise so far is Theatrhythm, which has the looks of a cash-in if you don't have access to the demo. Both DS and PSP releases came after waves of SE titles, and that's a userbase that may not necessarily buy a system for KH, but will buy KH if they already owned the system.

Numbers could have been a lot better but I wouldn't say it's at bomba range. I'd be interested to see how SE follows up over the years though; maybe I'm wrong here but Nomura-ish titles like Dissidia and Crisis Core share a similar userbase with KH, and if they don't end up migrating those types of titles to the 3DS at a later date then this KH3D launch would have been a complete waste. Like many people in the thread have said it would have sold double on the PSP easy. It'd be like Capcom making MH3G and then going back to PSP/Vita for MH4P.

I don't really buy that you need "X" amount of games from a publisher on a console before you can be expected to have any success, especially in the first year of a console's life. This game has been known about since MonHun and the other big hitters, is in a respected franchise, has nice graphics, released during a monster month for HW, and didn't release against any huge competition. Either the franchise is broken, or the fanbase on 3DS just doesn't care. Seeing as how MonHun pulled in another 20k this week, I'm guessing it's the franchise more than any Nintendo-fan aversion to RPGs.

Dalthien

Definitely more than this will reach, even if it does have legs it will not reach BbS.

Ha ha - a Kingdom Hearts game (yes, even an internally developed one) on the PSP right now might sell 50k in the other 80% of the world (and honestly, probably wouldn't sell much more than 600k in Japan right now either). That's the state of the PSP right now. Hell, the outsourced 358/2 outsold BbS worldwide, and that's back when the PSP still had some life in the rest of the world.

These aren't great numbers for DDD by any stretch, but let's disavow ourselves of any notion that this should have been on PSP - shall we?

sphinx

the piano man
I don't really buy that you need "X" amount of games from a publisher on a console before you can be expected to have any success, especially in the first year of a console's life. This game has been known about since MonHun and the other big hitters, is in a respected franchise, has nice graphics, released during a monster month for HW, and didn't release against any huge competition. Either the franchise is broken, or the fanbase on 3DS just doesn't care. Seeing as how MonHun pulled in another 20k this week, I'm guessing it's the franchise more than any Nintendo-fan aversion to RPGs.

maybe the fans are sick and tired of handheld spin-offs and want the real deal and they are sending a message by not buying KH3D.

hatchx

Banned
Is 220k bad for a franchise that's been beaten into the ground with spinoffs? It'll probably reach 300k or so in Japan and sell another 500k worldwide.

Is that bad?

I mean, not to troll, but in my experience with the franchise I've never been too impressed and from what I've seen of KH3 it is more of the same.

Also isn't KIU awaiting another shipment? It only shipped 200k and I don't think the second shipment was included in these numbers.

cw_sasuke

Hmm...okay, i`ll guess we will just see and have to wait how this turn out. This was probably a long.term decision for SE to put it on 3DS, im pretty sure that i`ll will outsell the other portable titles when its all said and done worldwide.

Maybe Kid Icarus releasing one week earlier impacted KH sales?

I doubt that, but there have been some 3DS releases lately and pretty much every new game has to compete with the trinity.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Let's say they made DDD for PSP.

Would it even have a western release? Type Zero more or less isn't getting one for PSP.

Digital you say? We know Disney loves digitial releases.

Would the 10th aniversary box be included in the sales of ddd, i asked in the last thread and was told it probably wouldnt be, i guess we'll know when we get the top 50

FoneBone

Let's say they made DDD for PSP.

Would it even have a western release? Type Zero more or less isn't getting one for PSP.

Digital you say? We know Disney loves digitial releases.

If they did that, they'd probably port it to another platform(s) for the West.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The trinity is itself proof that the competing games theory doesn't hold much weight. They all sold fine despite their close releases because they were popular on their own and in different genre entirely.

Dalthien

It's just that RE is a worldwide franchise (RE5 sold 1/5 in Japan) and while RE:R has performed okay/good in Japan, it has been selling very disappointingly in Europe and NA.

I can't imagine Japan is enough to support these kind of games.
Revelations shared development with Mercenaries though. They basically ended up with both games for the development budget. Combined, they will be well over a million in sales.

And now they already have the engine tweaked and tested, the gameplay mechanics are fully in place, a bunch of assets can be reused from Mercs and Revelations. And Revelations was received quite well by the people who played it. I'd be surprised if we don't see some sort of follow-up to it, because it would really be a fairly low-budget affair (all things considered) at this point.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Ha ha - a Kingdom Hearts game (yes, even an internally developed one) on the PSP right now might sell 50k in the other 80% of the world (and honestly, probably wouldn't sell much more than 600k in Japan right now either). That's the state of the PSP right now. Hell, the outsourced 358/2 outsold BbS worldwide, and that's back when the PSP still had some life in the rest of the world.

These aren't great numbers for DDD by any stretch, but let's disavow ourselves of any notion that this should have been on PSP - shall we?
I've already said I think that they should've either ported it for international release or at least make use of their resources wisely so that the BbS team could've worked on another project instead while this was at least co-developed by h.a.n.d. or another developer.

That's a "yes" to my question, then. What issues specific to "a Nintendo system" do you think are the case here?
Stop reading half of my post and you'll figure it out, I'm done repeating my-self.

cw_sasuke

The trinity is itself proof that the competing games theory doesn't hold much weight. They all sold fine despite their close releases because they were popular on their own and in different genre entirely.

Those 3 IPs arent likely to get affected by other releases. I dont think we can hold another KH "Spin-off" to the same standard.

And about Bravely Default - the game will better than most of you expect, mark my words.

Nearer 3 times

And around 3 years of "hype" as the next big thing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If they did that, they'd probably port it to another platform(s) for the West.

So to get a few hundred thousand more copies in Japan is worth it to hire a whole bunch of people who could be working on a new game to port it to a console that actually sells worth a damn in the US.

Oh and considering how the market is in the West right now that platform is either the HD consoles or...the 3DS!

So they cut out the middleman.

Ah right, it's possible that lead to some complications, but I'd guess they still just count that towards the DDD numbers. And if not I doubt it makes a big difference.

Well certainly less than 6k of difference (perhaps 5k that'd be a logical number) we shall see when the top 50 appears

It did well above my expectations. I am just disappointed because, for a moment, it looked like it wasn't gonna have such a big drop-off.
Is a Bomba and the numbers show that.

No plattform alone can or will be able to sustain the console market, the home console area will need WiiU, the same way the portable will and should find a place for Vita.

I think in general most Gaffers seem to have just way to high expectations. I look around and there is tons of competition for these handheld titles nowadays and publishers are still charging +5-6000k when social and mobile games are pretty much for free.

L5 sold around 400K witch Layton and Inazuma 11 last year on a system which just had passed the 5 million market and people acted as if they were to go bankrupt in a minute. Expectation needs be checked, enviroment has changed and if you arent Mario, Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest you better adjust the development costs correctly to at least make your money.

Anything past 300-400K great is a very good result for personally and there arent many handheld games i would expect to sell way more in the markets current state.

Anything less than 600K ltd for 3D would be disappointing, i hope its one of the games which will rise again once the Redesign is out. Or maybe there will be a Final Mix version for both handhelds next year.

KH3D is a Bomba. The expectation was set, since everybody in japan is buying the 3DS these CORE franchises have the chance to sell equally or better to the numbers being put by the PSP in japan, they haven't thus this is a really bad situation for 3rd parties.

Also: all these titles surely are building a really strong reputation for 3DS; software houses should insist on this direction so we can see follow-ups opening better.

Make game, lose money on the game, make even more games to lose even more money, some logic you have there boss.

Anyone expecting bbs numbers for ddd was crazy and even days numbers would've been a little ambitious, overall i'd say it did solidly with smidgin of dissapointing, hopefully with the 3ds userbase growing rapidly it may have decent legs especially with golden week coming up soon but we will see

It was to be expected, these subdue expectations appearing after the fact the game has bombed horribly and the excuses being thrown around every time a 3DS game fails to meet expectations are funny to see. Most poster claimed that 3DS was going to make monster numbers on software and hardware, these are CORE franchises whose behavior has been very consistent regardless of platforms and user bases, this is a BOMBA no excuses.

The proof that the userbase is pretty good is the performance MK7, MH3G, SM3DL are showing on a weekly basis. They're pretty different games, and they're holding nicely since last November / December.

I think no one expected MH3G to sell so constantly, and reaching the 1,5 mark. This is a great result and we know that MH userbase might bring nice result in such genres or brand that were more typical on PSP.

Not really. Nintendo games have always done great on handheld with their core franchises. MH can be put on PSP and sell way more than what it has done so far (opps it already did that)

Actually i expected Tri G sell up to 2 million lifetime. Anything less than 1.5 million would have been a failure in my eyes, especially since there was no new Vita/PSP title announced.

After one week ? Erm okay, on which hardware would you have put 3D when making the decision in 2010 ?

They developed it in less than 2 years and pretty much re-used the engine, its no 50 million hd game they were developing here. Though without legs, sales will be disappointing.
PSP, they would have made more money.

I know that KH sold below expectations but I wouldn't call it a "bomba". :/
Is a bomba and SE has lost money with the development of this title, if that doesn't make it a bomba, I don't know what a bomba is.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So apparently my japanese buddy who's a fan of the series didn't pick up KH "because the Nintendo's (?) Kingodm Hearts are awful and he wasted money on them". Could word of mouth help it, is the game as good as BBS?

edit: thehypocrite can you tell us what KH3D dev costs were? How much money is SE losing?

sphinx

the piano man
So apparently my japanese buddy who's a fan of the series didn't pick up KH "because the Nintendo's (?) Kingodm Hearts are awful and he wasted money on them". Could word of mouth help it, is the game as good as BBS?

if that's the case, then SE is to blame. If they have been giving gamers outsourced, o.k-ish-at-best KH games in the last decade then it's hard to get the fans back on board.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Kid Icarus numbers are very good for the type of game, the platform and the IP, I dunno what you guys are on but it's ridiculous to say they're disappointing. Quite the opposite really.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Kid Icarus is doing...pretty well. At least for now. Most games have a 70-75% drop in their second week, while Kid Icarus had a 65% drop, that's good. It should bode well for its performance in the long time.

Instro

Underwhelming start for KH, was expecting something closer to 250k. It will be interesting to see how it does next week.

kassatsu

Banned
PSN Weekly Rankings (Reporting Period - March 26th - April 1st 2012)

PS3 Games

01/01 Journey [2012.03.15]
02/— Castlevania: Harmony of Despair [2012.03.29]
03/— MotorStorm RC [2012.03.29]
04/— Resident Evil 5 Alternative Edition [2012.03.29]
05/03 Crazy Taxi [2010.11.24]
06/02 Space Channel 5 Part 2 [2011.10.05]
07/04 Sonic Adventure [2010.09.29]
08/05 After Burner Climax [2010.04.21]
09/06 Daytona USA [2011.10.26]
10/07 Resident Evil 4 [2012.03.13]

Vita Games