• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2017 (Jul 17 - Jul 23)

ggx2ac

What is the source for this ? In the last interview before the release of the game, Yûji Horii said :

In a pamphlet provided to fans at the Dragon Quest XI “Countdown Carnival” hands-on events, it’s revealed that the 3DS version was added later on in development.

Originally, development started as only a PlayStation 4 title. 3DS production began later due to its increase in userbase and Square Enix wanting more fans to experience the game.

Dragon Quest creator Yuji Horii had some concerns about 3DS players feeling that they were playing an inferior version. So when an idea was brought up to include both 2D and 3D perspectives, he said: “That’s good!”.

http://nintendoeverything.com/drago...ally-ps4-only-3ds-version-was-added-later-on/

From the same interview even:
This is not even the same statement. It simply talks about the starting point of development for 3DS. They were new with Unreal Engine hence they had to start early on PS4.

In the other linked interview, it feels like SE weren't confident with DQXI being simply a PS4 exclusive while with the new one, it reveals that 3DS was always on the cards and they started to work on it at a later date than PS4.

KtSlime

This is not even the same statement. It simply talks about the starting point of development for 3DS. They were new with Unreal Engine hence they had to start early on PS4.

In the other linked interview, it feels like SE weren't confident with DQXI being simply a PS4 exclusive while with the new one, it reveals that 3DS was always on the cards and they started to work on it at a later date than PS4.

Looking at SE's actions at the beginning of the gen, Hori's hints at the game, the timing, and the release now rather than last year during the height of the anniversary festivities, I am inclined to think that this is closest to what happened.

Looking at SE's actions at the beginning of the gen, Hori's hints at the game, the timing, and the release now rather than last year during the height of the anniversary festivities, I am inclined to think that this is closest to what happened.
Considering the amount of care and attention that has been given to the 3DS version, I am inclined to believe otherwise.

3DS version doesn't even remotely look like an afterthought.

Yeshua

PREDICTION LEAGUE AUGUST 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jul 31 to Aug 27):

[3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age [2nd month] (28 days) - 600000
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age [2nd month] (28 days) - 300000
[PS4] Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (25 days) - 80000
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) - 60000
[NSW] Monster Hunter XX: Double Cross Nintendo Switch Ver. (3 days) - 80000

redcrayon

Well yes, but he did ask nicely and there's no prerequisite before entering this thread no?
I wish there was for posting sometimes

Paris (only main town) : 21 067 ppl/km2

Tokyo : 6224ppl/km²

Paris + urban suburbs (similar density to Tokyo) : 3750ppl/km²

(Lots of other similar area in western Europe as illustrated in the pic above)

It's a cultural thing that spreads a few decades ago, density being one of the reason, read about it (amongst many other things) on a few sociological books the past few years but I don't think I want to open a topic like that (said books might not give the full picture also), still for many westerners that's an unknown concept and outside pictures or visiting asian countries you would probably never know about it.
I see Asian tourists wearing them in London sometimes, mostly at St Pancras (rail terminal for people arriving from Europe).

KtSlime

Considering the amount of care and attention that has been given to the 3DS version, I am inclined to believe otherwise.

3DS version doesn't even remotely look like an afterthought.

I don't think that the game was quickly hacked together, rather that in the original planning stage that the PS4 version was the intention, and then later (my guess is April '15) decided to add the 3DS version, and possibly the Switch at that time or a little later.

I see Asian tourists wearing them in London sometimes, mostly at St Pancras (rail terminal for people arriving from Europe).

I would probably wear them in London too, I have heard the air is still kind of bad.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I don't think that the game was quickly hacked together, rather that in the original planning stage that the PS4 version was the intention, and then later (my guess is April '15) decided to add the 3DS version, and possibly the Switch at that time or a little later.

That's the possible scenario and apparently Horii accidently revealed it in May.

Started as PS4, added 3DS, added Switch and maybe they won't stop there if they see there is roon for further sales.

hiska-kun

The usual blogger also changed his mind.
He says that the PS4 version will definitely pass 1 million LTD (easy task). And the 3DS has high chances to reach 2 million LTD.

extralite

Why some Japanese uses these masks?

The legitimate reason is to protect others from catching your own cold. Of course some might wear them for the opposite effect but given politeness culture in Japan I believe it's mostly an act of consideration for others when you're contagious.

That is the reason why some contagious moms wear those masks to protect their babies in the West too btw.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
He says that the PS4 version will definitely pass 1 million LTD (easy task). And the 3DS has high chances to reach 2 million LTD.

This is basically the ratio we always assumed between the PS4 and 3DS. Maybe the PS4 didn't really overperform all that much and the 3DS underperform. Then again there's decent chance they're wrong.

Aters

3 million LTD for DQXI is still bad. Hopefully PS4 version can make it to 1.5 million and Switch version can clear one million.

3 million LTD for DQXI is still bad. Hopefully PS4 version can make it to 1.5 million and Switch version can clear one million.

That blogger clearly predicts high chance of the LTD being 3 million+ and no that is nowhere near bad.

DQ8 - 3.55 million
DQ9 - 4.1 million

Add to that overseas sales should be higher this time and the SW version and DQ11 has a good chance in being the best selling DQ of all time.

ksamedi

That blogger clearly predicts high chance of the LTD being 3 million+ and no that is nowhere near bad.

DQ8 - 3.55 million
DQ9 - 4.1 million

Add to that overseas sales should be higher this time and the SW version and DQ11 has a good chance in being the best selling DQ of all time.

Going multiplatform was a smart move and yeah I think the 3DS did kind of limit the westers success. With western sales and a Switch port this will be the best selling DQ for sure.

Sandfox

DQ8 - 3.55 million
DQ9 - 4.1 million

We'll see.

Chauzu

Doesn't DQXI have the highest production costs of any entry so far tho? We're talking two seperate versions, with one of them being in HD.

Maybe if they make the right move to at least release it on PS4 and Switch at the same time, possibly also 3DS if it isn't too late.

ggx2ac

Probably should add that Dragon Quest IX has 5.3 5.5 million sales.

It could be possible to beat it what with it being multiplatform but the PS4 release of Dragon Quest Heroes bombing hard in the west (30k sales launch month) doesn't give much confidence about the relevance of Dragon Quest in the west.

Sandfox

Probably should add that Dragon Quest IX has 5.3 million sales.

It could be possible to beat it what with it being multiplatform but the PS4 release of Dragon Quest Heroes bombing hard in the west (30k sales launch month) doesn't give much confidence about the relevance of Dragon Quest in the west.

We don't know if the game will be getting a multiplatform release in the west.

Celine

Probably should add that Dragon Quest IX has 5.3 million sales.

DQIX sold 5.50M WW

jman2050

Can someone remind me why people are using the "western sales" line of reasoning for assessing the sales potential of heavily Japan-centric games that have historically done between nothing and maybe a bit more than nothing in the west?

KtSlime

I just think the West and DQ don't go together, there are some people who are exceptions, but in general they don't go together. It's almost like some people say they want DQ until they see what DQ is.

We will see if just updating the graphics will be enough, but I think people will demand fancier music, and voice, and new menus, and real time action, a hero who is not 16, etc.

Doesn't DQXI have the highest production costs of any entry so far tho? We're talking two seperate versions, with one of them being in HD.

Maybe if they make the right move to at least release it on PS4 and Switch at the same time, possibly also 3DS if it isn't too late.

There is no need for that.

Probably should add that Dragon Quest IX has 5.3 5.5 million sales.

DQ in general bombs hard in the West reagrdless of platform. The best success had debuts of around 100-130k in NPD, yet have sold 1 million+ in overseas sales.

PS4 is also a far different platform from then. 3 times the userbase now, a lot more JRPGs have released and found success, especially FFXV, they just need to make sure the release date is not in a crowded period. Summer would be ideal.

Chauzu

Nothing matters apart ps4
Didn't you get the note?

He means to say "I don't want that to happen".

I was wondering if he had some legit reasons to think that since I assume he means PS4 exclusive in the west. We're talking about a game that over two platforms will sell less than old entries in Japan, and only being on PS4 will somehow make it a success in the west? It feels weird to think a release on 3DS and/or Switch wouldn't help when the big work is the already done localisation.

Asd202

DQXI in the West? PS4 version is certain, Switch version is likely, 3DS could go either way. Also in a world where Nier, Persona 5 ship over 1 million on PS4 WW I don't see why DQXI couldn't do it especially if it will be multiplatform.

KtSlime

I was wondering if he had some legit reasons to think that since I assume he means PS4 exclusive in the west. We're talking about a game that over two platforms will sell less than old entries in Japan, and only being on PS4 will somehow make it a success in the west? It feels weird to think a release on 3DS and/or Switch wouldn't help when the big work is the already done localisation.

That's just it, he does not care about these games, all he cares about is adding another game to the PS4 exclusive list.

Oregano

DQXI in the West? PS4 version is certain, Switch version is likely, 3DS could go either way. Also in a world where Nier, Persona 5 ship over 1 million on PS4 WW I don't see why DQXI couldn't do it especially if it will be multiplatform.

500k of Nier's sales are from Steam.

Alrus

Modern action rpg and modern anime style jrpg compared to classic turn based jrpg with old anime style. I wouldn't be surprised if DQ XI didn't outsell either in the west.

Top Bottom