• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2013 (Sep 23 - Sep 29)

DaBoss

I don't really buy into the whole idea that it's impossible for Nintendo to have third party support back on their home platforms. I just don't think they've ever been willing to invest in making the effort to do so and/or to risk the potential damaging of their strong family brand/IPs by properly courting the demographics that Microsoft and Sony predominantly target. That's entirely their prerogative of course and really the most valuable commodity Nintendo have are their IPs so their risk aversion makes sense.

I think it is entirely out of their control. They have to wait till Sony or Microsoft make a mistake and Nintendo has to pounce on it.

Busaiku

Twilight Princess only showed a decline in sales in Japan though, not worldwide, where it even beat the original release of OoT eventually.

Right, and Skyward Sword is also more popular worldwide than Spirit Tracks.

But I'm trying to understand what would drive people in Japan to move to handhelds specifically for The Legend of Zelda.
Even if games like Super Mario sell much better on handhelds, it's mainly due to a higher overall audience, but they still do relatively well on consoles.
The Legend of Zelda on the other hand seems to be moving completely away, for reasons I just don't get, as there's no multiplayer or anything.

Busaiku

Mario & Luigi Dream Team never had any price collapses right?
I guess the good reception from the game really helped out then.

06./00. [PS3] My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute. Happy End # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.09.26} (¥7.480) - 31.054 / NEW
07./00. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD <ADV> (Nintendo) {2013.09.26} (¥5.985) - 30.264 / NEW

I'm a bit rusty on my Bible, but I'm pretty that this was prophesied somewhere in the Book of Revelations.

jeremy1456

Vita has more of a chance of succeeding in Japan. More so than the Wii U

You didn't provide any reasons.

Does it have anything as big as Mario 3D World this year? How about DK, Smash Bros., or Mario Kart for next?

Wii U also has more room for a price drop.

Does it have anything as big as Mario 3D World this year? How about DK, Smash Bros., or Mario Kart for next?

Evidence suggests that those titles on Wii U won't perform as well as previous entries in the series given how poorly Pikmin 3, NSMBU, NSLU, Nintendoland, Wind Waker, and Game & Wario have performed.

One has to start suspecting that it's the gamepad and Wii U console itself that is dragging sales.

jeremy1456

Evidence suggests that those titles on Wii U won't perform as well as previous entries in the series given how poorly Pikmin 3, NSMBU, NSLU, Nintendoland, Wind Waker, and Game & Wario have performed.

One has to start suspecting that it's the gamepad and Wii U console itself that is dragging sales.

Even if those titles perform at 1/5 of how they did on the Wii the Vita still has no answer.

I'm not expecting them to do anywhere near how they did last gen, but that's still stronger than I expect the Vita's lineup to perform.

I'm curious to see how Mario Kart and Smaah bros will affect the sales of Wii u.

Those are the 2 main games that I feel have great console appeal.

I also feel the Wiiu needs need IPs. I would love to see a game like Dragons Crown on the Wiiu. Also would love to see more adventure games and games like Shadow of the Collosius/or last guardian but in Nintendo style. I feel like there is so much potential with the tablet.

For the Vita, I wish Sony was making some original Jrpgs- I feel a few new Jrpgs on the Vita would really boost sales.

Yanikun

Banned
It won't be Japan where the huge decline takes place. The Wii U is massively behind the Gamecube WW right now and once Nintendo's so called big hitters are out the system will collapse again with nothing else to prop it up. Unless Nintendo manages to find some support, we''ll be looking at a perpetual cycle of boosts with big games and then abysmal numbers the rest of the time and some bumps for holidays thrown in

So, since we're talking about stuff to prop up the Wii U in regions other than Japan, how much did the GameCube's third-party support contribute to its performance in the West then? Maybe I remember wrong, but I don't recall third-party games saving the day to maintain hardware sales in between first-party releases.

The Wii U won't be getting the Assassin's Creed's and Call of Duty's and Grand Theft Auto's etc. that are capital to PlayStation's and Xbox's successes. But those seriously don't mean much to a Nintendo console. I think the Wii U will keep getting stuff like Just Dance, Skylanders, Disney games, Sonic games, Rayman/Rabbids games, cartoon-based games, animated-films tie-in's, Angry Bird-type stuff and so on. I don't think it takes much more to carry a Nintendo system between first- and second-party releases past the 22-million-unit line.

Even when looking at the 3DS, how's its Western third-party support again? Is it that much better than the aforementioned franchises and genres? I wouldn't say so. Nintendo is stronger now than it was before the GameCube launched, and the few third-party games it gets are more important than those the GameCube got.

So I think the only way the Wii U doesn't outsell the GameCube is if Nintendo keeps screwing up their release timing like they did up 'til now. I think 2014 isn't looking too bad on that front. I'm not saying "not too bad" as in "yeah this will get them to another hit console," but good enough that I don't see the Wii U finishing its life below the GameCube and the Vita.

It won't be Japan where the huge decline takes place. The Wii U is massively behind the Gamecube WW right now and once Nintendo's so called big hitters are out the system will collapse again with nothing else to prop it up. Unless Nintendo manages to find some support, we''ll be looking at a perpetual cycle of boosts with big games and then abysmal numbers the rest of the time and some bumps for holidays thrown in
The boosts will be Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, Smash and next gen Legend of Zelda. Three out of five will be 2014 titles (I refuse to believe that Smash could get delayed into 2015). We already know 3D World is this year. It's steady as she goes from then on.

I suppose the Wii "____ U" titles could do something, but aren't those coming out this year and the next? Yeah, doesn't look like there is anything amazing scheduled beyond the 2014 holidays except Zelda.

I think when all is said and done the Vita and Wii U won't surpass six million.

I can see the Wii u coming out slightly ahead because, unlike the Vita, the Wii U has AAA exclusives announced for the platform.

I say 5 million tops for both systems right now. I actually think Vita might win though because unlike the WiiU it might get some third party support. Yeah the WiiU will have bigger system sellers but the release schedule will be so sparse that the average weekly sell through throughout the year may be lower or on par with Vita.

It will be a close race though.

Reasons are in first post of this thread - software sells on Vita and doesn't sell on Wii U.

d+pad

It still needs a game to release that would actually move systems. Kart should have been ready for the holidays, at least in America.

Actually, I'd argue that Wii U is OK-ish in North America thanks to Super Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD and the like. 3D Mario is always popular here, and I can't see SM3DW bucking that trend.

In Japan, though, pushing out Mario Kart 8 this holiday season could have done a lot for the system's sales. Hell, I'd say that releasing MK8 in Nov/Dec and holding off on SM3DW until early next year wouldn't have been a bad idea, but obviously that's not how things have turned out.

Yanikun

Banned
Reasons are in first post of this thread - software sells on Vita and doesn't sell on Wii U.

The first post of this thread also shows that software on Vita sells to people who already own one. 90k for a new release shared with a system with a much bigger user base, but 6k on the hardware? You won't see the Wii U at 6k when it gets the real solid Nintendo games and not the pointless remakes, retail DLC and niche games. Software on the Wii U will not only sell, but it will sell consoles, too.

jeremy1456

Wii u has almost as many games that have sold 100k+ As the vita despite being a year younger.

Also, no Vita software has come close to New Super Mario. Bros. U.

AAA games are not everything. The Wii had way more million sellers than the PSP but in the end the PSP end up outselling it by more than 7m units, simply because it had way more med/small sized games than the Wii.

That same first post where Vita barely sold more than the dead Wii U. Vita has tapped the audience that it's lineup of games is aimed at. Perhaps God Eater 2 can remedy that somewhat but Monster Hunter 4 will probably take away sales from that. Now, I don't know which system will come out on top of this pathetic battle of failures but it may just come down to which system is out for longer and supported for longer.

Takao

Banned
I don't know why people are surprised that Sen no Kiseki sold better on Vita. The majority of Falcom's work in the past five years have been on Sony handhelds, and they prepped the audience with the first Kiseki Evolution port. The only surprising thing is how well both versions sold.

That same first post where Vita barely sold more than the dead Wii U. Vita has tapped the audience that it's lineup of games is aimed at. Perhaps God Eater 2 can remedy that somewhat but Monster Hunter 4 will probably take away sales from that. Now, I don't know which system will come out on top of this pathetic battle of failures but it may just come down to which system is out for longer and supported for longer.

You realize there's a Vita revision coming out next week? Unless you lust for OLED there's no reason to buy a current Vita instead of waiting two weeks. The 2000 is slightly cheaper, lighter, and comes with onboard memory.

I don't know why people are surprised that Sen no Kiseki sold better on Vita. The majority of Falcom's work in the past five years have been on Sony handhelds, and they prepped the audience with the first Kiseki Evolution port. The only surprising thing is how well both versions sold.

You realize there's a Vita revision coming out next week? Unless you lust for OLED there's no reason to buy a current Vita instead of waiting two weeks. The 2000 is slightly cheaper, lighter, and comes with onboard memory.

Vita was trending downward and starting to sell crappier before that revision was even announced. And by that logic Wii U will explode with the new bundles coming as well. Are you expecting the system to start selling over 15k a week consistently? Yes there are certainly some people waiting, but I don't see why the baseline will improve anymore with the lineup that is offered vs other platforms.

jeremy1456

AAA games are not everything. The Wii had way more million sellers than the PSP but in the end the PSP end up outselling it by more than 7m units, simply because it had way more med/small sized games than the Wii.

The Vita has a fraction of those smaller games than the PSP did because it doesn't have a flagship franchise to jump start the user base.

The Vita's current support as far as these titles are concerned is insignificant compared to what one big title could do.

no it isnt

AmanoBuff

vita used up all its chances, wii u hasn't even started trying yet

lol get out.

no it isnt

The official retail prices for both vita models (in yen):

Current: 19,980
Vita 2000: 18,995

Please at least put some effort and use Google before replying.

Is Media Create also counting the limited editions of Sen no Kiseki into these sales numbers? Or are they being considered separately?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hey does anyone know a good way to look up a generation over generation software sales comparison for 3DS and DS?

I'm not entirely sure what site and/or tool I should go to for such a thing.

Edit: Nevermind stump found them. Thanks for the help though.

Can we blame the decline of Zelda sales due to the rise of DS and the mediocre Zelda titles that appeared on said platform?

I know if that Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks were my first exposure to the Zelda series I would stay far away from the next installments.

The first post of this thread also shows that software on Vita sells to people who already own one. 90k for a new release shared with a system with a much bigger user base, but 6k on the hardware? You won't see the Wii U at 6k when it gets the real solid Nintendo games and not the pointless remakes, retail DLC and niche games. Software on the Wii U will not only sell, but it will sell consoles, too.

The double standards lol. You do know that 90k title is a niche title. The big exclusive coming Vita's way is Phantasy Star Nova.

BlackJace

Hey does anyone know a good way to look up a generation over generation software sales comparison for 3DS and DS?

I'm not entirely sure what site and/or tool I should go to for such a thing.

I would imagine Aquamarine knows a thing or two about it. Try PMing her, maybe.

prwxv3

I don't think it's even possible for the WiiU to have constant releases when Nintendo could not even do that with the wii (that had third party support). And now they have to deal with significant dev time increases. Droughts is what is going to destroy any momentum their top tier games generate.

SmokyDave

Can we blame the decline of Zelda sales due to the rise of DS and the mediocre Zelda titles that appeared on said platform?

I know if that Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks were my first exposure to the Zelda series I would stay far away from the next installments.
Woah, woah, woah.

Let's not be talking smack about Phantom Hourglass. That game was banging.

Madouu

I guess some people don't learn. Oh well, you'll see soon enough.

I don't think that making a debatable one line remark to get replies and then respond with a condescending "you'll see" is the basis for any interesting conversation.

On the subject of the monster hunter games you are comparing, all is pointing to the fact that MH4 much like 3rd is selling what it's able to ship.

But maybe you feel generous today and want to tell us exactly what we lowly commonners still haven't grasped?

I don't think that making a debatable one line remark to get replies and then respond with a condescending "you'll see" is the basis for any interesting conversation.

On the subject of the monster hunter games you are comparing, all is pointing to the fact that MH4 much like 3rd is selling what it's able to ship.

But maybe you feel generous today and want to tell us exactly what we lowly commonners still haven't grasped?

I've been telling people for a while that the big IPs will sell less on Nintendo systems this generation around but people refuse to listen. Some are even predicting that Pokemon will outsell GTAV.

In the same manner, people think that the Nintendo IPs will save the WiiU. No chance of that happening.

lol get out.

The official retail prices for both vita models (in yen):

Current: 19,980
Vita 2000: 18,995

Please at least put some effort and use Google before replying.

read the post above yours, ok slightly cheaper maybe, but when the diffence is 50 yen (about 50 cents) its the same price

Yanikun

Banned
The double standards lol. You do know that 90k title is a niche title. The big exclusive coming Vita's way is Phantasy Star Nova.

I don't see how that's a double-standard. We're talking about the respective chances of both systems, by looking at their library (past, present and future), right?

So, a game that opens at 90k on the Vita is absolutely a good success on the platform. It's up there in the highest first weeks. Of course in the grand scheme of things it's niche, but that's exactly my point, the Vita is a niche platform with niche games that sell to a niche that largely already owns it.

In the Wii U's library, 90k is definitely not going to be up there in the highest first weeks. The whole discussion started with michaelius stating that the reason why the Vita had a better chance than the Wii U in Japan was because, using this week's charts as evidence, "software sells on Vita and doesn't sell on Wii U."

My answer to that is that the software that sells well on the Wii U will sell in the hundreds of thousands to millions and will sell a lot of systems. The bigger titles in the Vita's library aren't selling too many systems. Whether Phantasy Star Nova is bigger than Sen no Kiseki is irrelevant -- Mario is also bigger than Donkey Kong but you're not gonna see a 6k week when Donkey Kong releases.

Madouu

I've been telling people for a while that the big IPs will sell less on Nintendo systems this generation around but people refuse to listen. Some are even predicting that Pokemon will outsell GTAV.

In the same manner, people think that the Nintendo IPs will save the WiiU. No chance of that happening.

I don't think I even need to point this out, but this has nothing to do with the monster hunter franchise and its sales, which makes your come back comment earlier even weirder. I'll take it that you aknowledge that both games at this point in their sales lives were/are selling what they could ship to their customers.

On the subject of your other points, quite a few Nintendo IPs are enjoying higher sales than before, and for some the highest sales ever on 3DS. We can mention Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion and Fire Emblem here. This is the case for quite a few of third party franchises too. Of course, there's also the games that benefited a lot from the DS expanded audience that won't achieve the same numbers (MK, NSMB) but still sell very well. And then there is Brain training, which was an enormous selling franchise that completely dropped off the charts.

On the console side of things, the Wii U seems to be an unappealing product to most. Add to that the fact that consoles in Japan seem to be less relevant than in previous generations and the wii u disastrous software sales for most games. So yes, on the console side of things, your observation about Nintendo franchises not selling as much as before is probably true. For handhelds though, you are factually wrong.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases {2013.10.03}

[3DS] SPEC: Ten <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.480)

[360] Halo 4: Game of the Year Edition <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥4.980)
[360] Gears of War (Platinum Collection Reprint) <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥1.995)
[360] Gears of War 2 (Platinum Collection Reprint) <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥1.995)
[360] Gears of War 3 (Platinum Collection Reprint) <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥1.995)
[360] Fable II (Platinum Collection Reprint) <RPG> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥1.995)
[360] Fable III (Platinum Collection Reprint) <RPG> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥1.995)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
new releases {2013.10.03}

[3DS] SPEC: Ten <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.480)

[360] Halo 4: Game of the Year Edition <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥4.980)
[360] Gears of War (Platinum Collection Reprint) <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥1.995)
[360] Gears of War 2 (Platinum Collection Reprint) <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥1.995)
[360] Gears of War 3 (Platinum Collection Reprint) <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥1.995)
[360] Fable II (Platinum Collection Reprint) <RPG> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥1.995)
[360] Fable III (Platinum Collection Reprint) <RPG> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥1.995)

The 360 fights back!

onipex

I think it is entirely out of their control. They have to wait till Sony or Microsoft make a mistake and Nintendo has to pounce on it.

I think its only in Nintendo's control. Nintendo has to make games that grow an audience that third parties mainly cater to for it to happen. They can make those games with their first party studios or hire others to make them. I thinks that's really the only way, because third parties are not going to build the audience for them.

qko

The mistake was calling them Zelda games. They were VERY good games in their own right. Just having "Link" and "Zelda" was wrong and according to timelines really made no sense for these games to be Zelda games. There is very little continuity between the Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass, and yet characters like Tetra and the Pirates were back and felt like they were just tossed in. None of the islands were really the same and characters like Aryll and Grandma were not around.

Conceptually very good games. As Zelda games they weren't very good.

Top Bottom