• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2013 (Sep 23 - Sep 29)

sörine

Banned
All bets on Mario. Nothing else. And then, just Mario games from then on, because nothing else is going to magically start selling on the system.

This is why Vita comes across as the healthier system really, since stuff can regularly sell 100k on there (new IP's even!) while the WiiU appears to be a Mario-box and nothing else, and once you've burned through all the iterations you comfortably can, you start eating into the franchise fatigue territory.
Vita only has 6 games over 100k to Wii U's 4 despite being on shelves for over twice as long. The only new IPs to manage 100k on Vita are all heavily advertised Monster Hunter clones from major publishers, while only one Mario games did over 100k on Wii U so far.

Any even slight implication of health is entirely misplaced when it comes to both systems.

L~A

Nothing surprising about The Wind Waker HD. If Nintendo really saw that game as a potential system-seller in Japan, they'd have also released the bundle (like in the US and Europe), or have something special like the White Wii U for Pikmin 3. That show that even Nintendo knew it wouldn't sell too well. After all, 40-60% of the stocks sent to retailers were sold : they didn't overship the game like crazy, as opposed to Mario & Luigi RPG4 for example.

Youkai Watch got some surprisingly good legs. I believe the manga + anime is gonna do wonders for it. Looks like Level-5 got its new Inazuma Eleven, though I'm not sure it'll reach the same levels.

The Vita vs Wii U brawl in the gutter is really starting to get old. I'm surprised the Vita didn't get any bump at all.

watershed

Banned
Damn at WWHD, but with Nintendo only shipping 60k I guess they expected this.

Do we have an official total for MH4 sales? Including digital? I'd like to know its pace and keep track of how its doing compared to past entries.

Anth0ny

Zelda is really dead in Japan and it makes me sad.

I wonder how well link between worlds will do in Japan. I think the timing might be bad on that one. Following both Monster Hunter and Pokemon in such a short timespan could hinder sales.

bidoof01

Banned
Remember this quote guys?

“It is the perfect time for Zelda fans to discover Wii U. For many Zelda fans, this is the first time that they’ll discover Wind Waker and we’re treating the game as a triple-A new release. Ocarina of Time 3D performed positively on Nintendo 3DS and we’re looking to replicate this success with The Wind Waker HD.”

So much for their AAA game.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Remember this quote guys?

“It is the perfect time for Zelda fans to discover Wii U. For many Zelda fans, this is the first time that they’ll discover Wind Waker and we’re treating the game as a triple-A new release. Ocarina of Time 3D performed positively on Nintendo 3DS and we’re looking to replicate this success with The Wind Waker HD.”

So much for their AAA game.

This quote had like nothing to do with the Japanese market. If Nintendo Japan thought this way, I assume we would have seen the same bundle.

duckroll

Damn at WWHD, but with Nintendo only shipping 60k I guess they expected this.

If there's no demand how can Nintendo ship more? Shipments aren't an indication of how much the publisher expects a game to sell. Shipments are how many units a publisher can sell to retailers. Retailers can't return unsold stock in Japan.

Mory Dunz

I wonder how well link between worlds will do in Japan. I think the timing might be bad on that one. Following both Monster Hunter and Pokemon in such a short timespan could hinder sales.

Is ALBW 2013 in Japan? I thought it came out later there...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Home Zelda, maybe (even if SS did more that 300k, not 30 like this one), portable nope (OOT did gret numbers, as ST and PH did on the DS)
Don't know how ALBW will perform, tough, but to me is more: Wii U is dead. Not Zelda.

NeonZ

It wasn't 'just' a re-release, it was an HD remake with spangly new features.

They added some new things, but they were mostly "fixes". You thought the sailing was slow? Here's fast sailing! You disliked the triforce quest? Here's a tweaked one with less money and treasures necessary for it! No extra dungeons or anything to add to the experience of people who already liked the game. They seemed to be just worried about people who disliked it which seems completely backwards to me.

Look at the extra content in Atlus ports of the SMT games for comparison - like the four extra days/endings in Devil Survivor for 3ds, or a new character and events spread throughout Persona 4 for Vita. And that's in addition to fixes similar to the ones given to WW HD and more extra content like demons/personas. If a company like Atlus could add meaningful extra content to their games, why can't Nintendo's Zelda team?

watershed

Banned
If there's no demand how can Nintendo ship more? Shipments aren't an indication of how much the publisher expects a game to sell. Shipments are how many units a publisher can sell to retailers. Retailers can't return unsold stock in Japan.

I've often read in sales threads that shipments are representative of how many copies publishers expect to sell. Is this not true? For example, there was a period where Level 5 was overshipping their games like hell. In that case it is retailers who misjudged consumer interest in those games and not Level 5 who misjudged?

Hmmm. not sure if MH4 can catch up with MHP3rd at this point. There will be a Christmas boost for sure but considering it will be selling next to PokeTON, I think many will choose Pokemon as a Christmas present instead of MH.

Also the current model Vita is reaching plateau at this point. Alternative color Vita will give a small bump but the real boost will come when Vita TV launch. If it still can't help Vita sustain 20K+ sale then that's the end of the Vita in Japan.

crinale

It doesn't quite work like this. Stores decide how much they want to order, it's not Nintendo forcing a predefined number of copies on them.

It's not always like this. Sometimes stores are forced to obey Ninty's order (and thus led to massive coup at PS1 era...)

sörine;84331001 said:
Vita only has 6 games over 100k to Wii U's 4 despite being on shelves for over twice as long. The only new IPs to manage 100k on Vita are all heavily advertised Monster Hunter clones from major publishers, while only one Mario games did over 100k on Wii U so far.

Any even slight implication of health is entirely misplaced when it comes to both systems.
You forget that those are retail only numbers. Vita sells quite a bit as digital sales which won't show up on the charts. Those digital sales numbers are probably the only reason they didn't abandon it.

How did Oreimo do better than Wind Waker? I don't feel so good.

MH4 is gonna coast right into 3 million soon enough.

Edit: Link didn't do squat for Wii U hardware numbers. Oh jeez

duckroll

I've often read in sales threads that shipments are representative of how many copies publishers expect to sell. Is this not true? For example, there was a period where Level 5 was overshipping their games like hell. In that case it is retailers who misjudged consumer interest in those games and not Level 5 who misjudged?

Publishers sell games to retailers, and retailers sell games to consumers. Publishers can try to convince retailers into ordering more stock if there is heavy marketing and the game has good reviews in magazines. Retailers decide how much stock they want to order based on various factors - customer pre-orders, the level of hype they perceive the game to have, etc.

When a game is massively overshipped and fails to sell to expectations, it simply means the publisher overhyped their game, and the retailers fell for it. In the short term, this is a victory for the publisher because they already made the money selling the shipment to retailers and it's not their problem if it can't sell out. But in the long term, this means that retailers could be more careful when ordering games from the same publisher in future, even if the marketing is strong.

But the reverse is also possible where a publisher has expectations of selling much more, but is simply unable to convince retailers to order that many copies. Even if you want to sell 500k copes of a game, it doesn't mean you'll be able to ship that many.

06./00. [PS3] My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute. Happy End # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.09.26} (¥7.480) - 31.054 / NEW
07./00. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD <ADV> (Nintendo) {2013.09.26} (¥5.985) - 30.264 / NEW

kirino_gif_by_geomihwakace-d5datj9.gif

you're right

wth Japan

Theres nothing wrong in finding your younger sister cute. The TV series iirc actually did not have an incestual ending but it has heavily implied. The LN and the last three episodes released on DVD iirc went full on with that "route" to appease a certain crowd lol.

For comparison...

Sen no Kiseki Total - 149,340 (Vita + PS3)

First Week:
Ao no Kiseki (2011) - 127,938 (PSP)
Zero no Kiseki (2010) - 84,360 (PSP)
Zero no Kiseki Evolution (2012) - 21,518 (Vita remake)

8zxSz38ADe-2.png

Best LoH opening. Hopefully it will reach 200k and get localised
:(

So that means 20k+ from imports? Incredible, no wonder EBA happened.

The Vita can certainly hold its own with PS3 games, but I'm curious about the PS4. I'm thinking it might only get ports from games that don't turn the graphics up too high. With a few concessions I'm confident it could play Resogun, but I'm not as sure about titles like Second Son.
No, for PS4/vita it is just smaller indie type games. Second Son will not have a vita version, just the streaming ability from PS4.

Nintendo is like that around the world...all sales of their games are final as they utilize a firm sale process when dealing with inventory.

They put all of the risk on the retailers to move the product or suffer a write-down. As a result, the retailers are only going to order and display more products when initial orders sell-through. And since Wii U software sales have been very low, retailers are inherently hesitant about ordering large initial quantities of stock.

So, you get low initial shipments and smaller retail exposure.

Hmmm. not sure if MH4 can catch up with MHP3rd at this point. There will be a Christmas boost for sure but considering it will be selling next to PokeTON, I think many will choose Pokemon as a Christmas present instead of MH.

Also the current model Vita is reaching plateau at this point. Alternative color Vita will give a small bump but the real boost will come when Vita TV launch. If it still can't help Vita sustain 20K+ sale then that's the end of the Vita in Japan.

Why do they have to choose? Why can't people get both in the biggest shopping period of the year? Remember the trinity from 2011? MH3G, MK7 and 3D Land.

Also I think the Vita TV might start well but I'm not convinced it has a consistent place in the market. I'd definitely prefer the new model to do well as opposed to the Vita TV which is just an odd product imo.

faridmon

Dammit. Ignore my comment then about WW not being popular. Nevertheless, I don't think it was favoured upon release compared to other Zelda games. That is a low number though for the HD remake, Hope it has the legs of Pikmin!

NeonZ

Dammit. Ignore my comment then about WW not being popular. Nevertheless, I don't think it was favoured upon release compared to other Zelda games. That is a low number though for the HD remake, Hope it has the legs of Pikmin!

You're probably thinking about its worldwide numbers, where even Skyward Sword outperformed it.

Sakura

Zelda sales seem pretty normal to me. An enhanced port of a 10 year old game on a system with a tiny install base only sold 30k. What a surprise. When Nintendo was talking about WW being a system seller, I'm sure they were meaning in the places where the WW bundle exists. In Japan I imagine they expect their bundles at the end of the month to be what moves systems, not WW.

Top Bottom