• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2011 (Dec 19 - Dec 25)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is the launch software considered to be good for the Japanese market? I know it looks good for the US release, but not sure how Japanese market views it.

Their biggest game was Mingol 6, which is popular. But it's a golf game.

The next biggest title was Uncharted.

Sony has really nothing in the chamber for Japan without monster hunter. Maybe some FF game or something, but that's all unannounced.

Tiktaalik

I expected to see the 3DS crush the Vita, but I didn't expect it to not really chart at all like this.

The launch lineup isn't at all that great, but I still expected much more.

Owzers

PS Vita will be okay once Resistance releases, right? This was easy to predict when Sony said it was releasing in Japan first and went on to show trailers of Little Big Planet/Uncharted/Resistance/Killzone/Mod Nation Racers. It was pathetic.

Go_Ly_Dow

I wonder how big of an impact XIII-2's less than brilliant sales will effect S-E's DLC plans for the game.

I assume if NA and EU's sales are similar that they will scale back the investment.

Cwarrior

The quickest and easyest way for sony to help support vita till they can get there shit together and get some big exclusive guns, is big name ports like FFX,FFX-2,FF12,dragon quest 8,monter hunter,kh1,kh2,kh:com and GT.

kswiston

I wonder how big of an impact XIII-2's less than brilliant sales will effect S-E's DLC plans for the game.

I assume if NA and EU's sales are similar that they will scale back the investment.

I would imagine the hardcore fans who buy every Final Fantasy game make up the bulk of the audience who would ever consider buying DLC for this title anyhow. Casual gamers and fairweather fans don't buy DLC. They just move on to other games.

Exactly. It's fine to have a loss leader strategy if it's working out for you but if Sony continues to post losses then the people making those decisions won't have a job for much longer. There's a very real chance then of Sony bringing in people who are prepared to trim the fat off the bone, so to speak.

But -- I don't know -- is that what people want from a PlayStation console? It's a difficult, because I want my PlayStation systems to be cutting edge. PS Vita is definitely cutting edge, but apparently people don't want that?

Am I in the minority of wanting the PS4 to be an absolute friggin' powerhouse, or should Sony just make a PS3.5 and launch at a lower cost? Surely that's not what people want?

duckroll

If the DLC is effective in keeping a percentage of the copies out of used game stores, then I think they will continue to invest in it. It really depends on how the long term outlook plays out in the next 1-2 months.

The thing about DLC is that the actual value in investing on DLC is how effective the DLC is at keeping a portion of the userbase interested, and also in the actual sales of the DLC themselves. Lower than expected sales for the retail product doesn't translate automatically into low DLC sales, and high retail sales doesn't mean the userbase is automatically interested in buying a ton of DLC.

Road

I don't know what's worse, Vita mega-bombing or that there's no Vita games in the top 20
Even if the Vita had sold 200k this week, there probably would be at best 1 title inside the top 20. Nothing to see here regarding that.

Alrus

Has a mainline Kirby title ever outperformed a mainline FF game?

I doubt it (and I pointed it in my post), but people tend to see Kirby doing well or better than other franchises to be some kind of huge accomplishment for the series. When Kirby games always sold really well in Japan.

Cipherr

Even if the Vita had sold 200k this week, there probably would be at best 1 title inside the top 20. Nothing to see here regarding that.

Yeah, the Vita software not showing in the top 20 doesnt really alarm me. #20 on the chart sold 43,752. So all we know for sure is that every Vita title sold less than that.

But we have to consider Vita has an extremely small userbase ATM. Having even one game at 110k LTD at this point would be a damn near 33% attach rate for that game. Thats just not very reasonable to expect imo.

I doubt it (and I pointed it in my post), but people tend to see Kirby doing well or better than other franchises to be some kind of huge accomplishment for the series. When Kirby games always sold really well in Japan.

Someone needs to make a Kirby Chart, like that Mario chart so we can burn the image into our heads.

jcm

SCEJ's lack of productivity is really going to bite Vita in the ass. Handhelds need Japan to succeed.

TheNatural

My Member!
Where's that blackboard of things that will save the Vita?

oYGt6.png

ksamedi

All this PS Vita doom talk reminds me of how the 3DS was doomed as well. We all need to realize that the Vita is a long term proposition and not a short term one. Its not like Sony is going to sit out and do nothing about it. They will try hard to make it a succes. Its much too early to say that the Vita will fail. Sony still has a certain advantage over Nintendo and that is the young male demographic that finds Nintendo systems to be kiddy. Nintendo is trying hard to capture that demographic but they need a steady flow of games that satisfy this demographic over a long period of time before they will succeed.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
isnt it just a matter of time till the vita will get MH4G.

Thats what GAF told me.

btw. Since the other Thread is dead.

ff7 remake will save the vita and the final fantasy brand. two birds, one stone!

Even if this is a joke, i`m curios about the upcoming SE Vita projects. SE has always been there to support Sony plattforms with Big exclusive and intern developed titles. They had no problem announcing a FF7 spin-off before the PSP even launched and even continued their high budget PSP projects when those titles couldnt sell outside of Japan.

Right now they only have FFX HD which is a multi title - their next exclusive announcement will be very telling. If they are willing to take the risk and announce a big exclusive title, other publishers might follow as it happened before.

Edit:

All this PS Vita doom talk reminds me of how the 3DS was doomed as well. We all need to realize that the Vita is a long term proposition and not a short term one. Its not like Sony is going to sit out and do nothing about it. They will try hard to make it a succes. Its much too early to say that the Vita will fail. Sony still has a certain advantage over Nintendo and that is the young male demographic that finds Nintendo systems to be kiddy. Nintendo is trying hard to capture that demographic but they need a steady flow of games that satisfy this demographic over a long period of time before they will succeed.

No matter how "dead" the 3DS was at launch - we all knew that Nintendo can and will probably drop the price. And they have sure system seller with Pokemon, Mario and Co. - Vita isnt in the same position. Sony cant afford a price drop and their first party output isnt strong enough to make a difference.

But still, many things can change in a year - we will see what Sony has planned for Vita.

All this PS Vita doom talk reminds me of how the 3DS was doomed as well. We all need to realize that the Vita is a long term proposition and not a short term one. Its not like Sony is going to sit out and do nothing about it. They will try hard to make it a succes. Its much too early to say that the Vita will fail.

thisisneogafdude.gif

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

This is uh kind of exactly what they did with the PSP. They struck gold with MH in Japan and it basically floundered in mediocrity (at best) after a nice launch everywhere else.

I definitely agree with this. It really wasn't that long ago that everyone was proclaiming the Nintendo 3DS as dead and nobody could possibly see a solution.

I still think the PS Vita is going to see a modest launch period in the West. It might not blow off the doors, but the software seems much more targeted towards an American/European launch.

If marketed properly, I think FIFA on PS Vita is going to be a big early driver for hardware in Europe. I expect Uncharted will do well too.

Jomjom

Banned
Such a shame that a handheld with so much packed in will probably fail. I think Sony will either have to go the Nintendo route of making underpowered hardware that has little risk of losing money or else bow out of the video game business.

A couple more of these fails and I think we'll see just a Nintendo and Microsoft video game market.

But -- I don't know -- is that what people want from a PlayStation console? It's a difficult, because I want my PlayStation systems to be cutting edge. PS Vita is definitely cutting edge, but apparently people don't want that?

Am I in the minority of wanting the PS4 to be an absolute friggin' powerhouse, or should Sony just make a PS3.5 and launch at a lower cost? Surely that's not what people want?

What people want and what's sustainable for Sony as a company both have to be considered. As a company, they're going to post heavy losses (in the billions) again this year. If the Vita requires a massive price drop to drive sales in 2012, and they launch the PS4 at a loss in 2013, at what point does the bleeding stop?

Someone made a post a few months ago during a discussion about The Last Guardian concerning Sony's "street cred" as a software developer, stating that this was important even if their games don't sell well. At this point, Sony needs games that sell millions upon millions of copies to offset the absolute beating they've taken on subsidizing hardware the past 5 years. The other option is to keep the Vita at its current price, and hope that they can eek out profitability with minimal marketshare like the Gamecube. If the plan for the Vita/PS4 is to duplicate the PS3s "success", SCE may as well be finished.

Nintendo was bold with the launch pricing of the 3DS, and paid for it. They publicly apologized to their stockholders and their fanbase, gave away a bunch of free games, dropped the price 30%, and did a tremendous info-dump in September by laying all their cards on the table. Iwata took a fucking pay cut. Those are the moves of a company that realizes their very existence depends on the success of this handheld. Sony is launching in North America in two months and we still don't know what's the deal with Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, and Call of Duty for the handheld. And I honestly don't think they can cut the price.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I definitely agree with this. It really wasn't that long ago that everyone was proclaiming the Nintendo 3DS as dead and nobody could possibly see a solution.

Really ?
Come on, it was pretty clear that the system would pick up once they correct their price mistake and they release their first party system seller.

Alrus

"Everyone"? We knew Mario 3D land and Mario Kart were coming pretty early on. (plus KH, Re:R and a few other decent sellers). On the other hand, Sony has nothing on the level of Nintendo's franchise to offer, and there isn't any big software on the horizon.

Now, It's way too early to tell of course, but with what we know so far, the future is looking grim.

Top Bottom