• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2013 (Dec 16 - Dec 22)

So happy for Wii U
TadkV.gif

that poor little guy wont die without a fight

wrowa

So... sub 10k for Wii U in january, right? Will come back to see it then.

The Wii U hasn't been below 10k in quite a while. Even if sales drop sharply next month (as they likely will), I think we'll see its new baseline at roughly 15k units a week.

Takao

Banned
The power of one game, people.

At the very least this will court Konami, Capcom and Square Enix. Western "obssessed with specs" devs are a hopeless cause.

Those companies aren't going to greenlight a bunch of Wii U projects because the platform sold well for a month.

Real talk. SRW is niche enough as is, the sales of the Vita version are going to be ridiculously low... Maso Kishin III did bad enough as is last summer, you can be sure they won't bother with VIta anymore after the two Z3 games.

Not all SRW games are created equally:

[PS2] Super Robot Wars Z - 503,573
[PS2] Super Robot Wars Z: Special Disc - 99,459
[PSP] Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Wars Z: Hakai-hen - 398,017
[PSP] 2nd Super Robot Wars Z: Saisei-hen - 320,636

[NDS] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin - The Lord of Elemental - 104,757
[PSP] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin II - Revelation of Evil God - 110,846
[PS3] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin III – Pride of Justice - 47,077 (Two weeks)
[PSV] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin III – Pride of Justice - 18,929 (First week only)

MKIII certainly underperformed given those numbers and the associated sell through (both under 55%) but that's a much smaller series than Z.

NBGI already did a download-only episodic SRW with Operation Extend on PSP. If they felt the sales were good on that, with a large part coming from Vita owners (which is something Sony can track) they have little to fear with SRW Z3.

Wait, the sell-through is not terrible here. Seems like Namco Bandai had a realistic expectation here.

More like retailers had realistic expectations.

orioto

Good Art™
So yeah we'll see if this is a final christmas bonus for the WiiU OR if Mario 3D world creates a word of mouth from the multy, on a longer term.

I'm sad that Pikmin 3 doesn't seem to have gained much from the Wii U's far better than expectations holiday bump, at least Taiko is showing some signs of life.

Vita is also ending up the year on a relatively high note, the price drop and steady stream of releases certainly helped a lot with that.

Oh and happy holidays to everybody!

Yeah, hopefully Pikmin 3, W-101 and Wind Waker HD all start to sell a lot more after the recent hardware bump.

Alrus

There are pics of it being sold out at some stores, and first day sell through was 60%-70% according to Chris in the last thread. Seems like it had a fairly small initial print run, probably around 50k.

Yeah guess their expectation weren't too high, the PSP game had zero leg, maybe they didn't feel too confident with this one...

So... sub 10k for Wii U in january, right? Will come back to see it then.

You're the worst kind of person.

Wii U

January
Code:
nothing

February
Code:
02/01	Wii Fit U (Balance Board and Fit Meter Set)
02/05	Monster Hunter Frontier G (Memorial Package)
02/06	Puyo Puyo Tetris
02/13	Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Nintendo probably hopes that the momentum helps them to generate somewhat ok sales in January.

February has Donkey Kong (going to be interesting how this performs).

Mario Kart 8 should launch in March or April.
March would be far better of course.

Then we have a lot of other 2014 releases but no exact dates.

Why is January always ignored by Nintendo?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So yeah we'll see if this is a final christmas bonus for the WiiU OR if Mario 3D world creates a word of mouth from the multy, on a longer term.
There will be a WiiU "relaunch" either way next fiscal year with the launch of Mario Kart. If the can deliver at least one substantial exclusive title every month like they did this year in the West on 3DS, they could maintain 20k sales per week. Mario Kart, Zelda Musou, X, Smash... Let's see what they can bring to the table.

Why is January always ignored by Nintendo?

We're getting Kirby on 3DS this year, at least. In fact, Nintendo are publishing four games for the thing between now and the end of March, which is the most consistent they've been for ages. Or at least, it feels like it.

Not that it'll make an iota of differences to hardware sales, but Dr. Luigi and Trine 2 are being released by Nintendo on the eShop in January. So it's only mostly ignoring it. :p

We're getting Kirby on 3DS this year, at least. In fact, Nintendo are publishing four games for the thing between now and the end of March, which is the most consistent they've been for ages.

Not that it'll make an iota of differences to hardware sales, but Dr. Luigi and Trine 2 are being released by Nintendo on the eShop in January. So it's only mostly ignoring it. :p

ah maybe we will get another nice January Nintendo Direct with eShop games we never even guessed about hitting the shop on that same day

Xenoblade HD version for eShop please :p

ah maybe we will get another nice January Nintendo Direct with eShop games we never even guessed about hitting the shop on that same day

Xenoblade HD version for eShop please :p

Well, Steeldiver Subwars was rated in Australia at the same time (or slightly before) NES Remix, so we might see that drop in Q1. Maybe January.

jakncoke

Banned
Its interesting that despite having a brutal year. That the Wii U has had a pretty solid holidays. Any reason why even though the Japanese ignore the consoles the during the year(n64,gamecube,wii u) but have solid holidays

Madouu

Yeah, hopefully Pikmin 3, W-101 and Wind Waker HD all start to sell a lot more after the recent hardware bump.

I really don't think there could be any realistic expectations for Wind Waker and W101 to sell a noticeable amount more, but Pikmin 3 had actually a respectable first week sales at a time where the Wii U was in much worse position so it is surprising to me that it's not getting a few more sales thanks to all the new owners.

What is more surprising is that NPC Pikmin 2 seems to be selling better if I am not mistaken.

It'll be back to selling poorly again. But this should hopefully make NCL realise that tossing aside their beloved family audience was daft from the very beginning.

As far as I can see it's their 'beloved family audience' that are buying WiiU in droves this Holiday season. NSMB, Wii Party U and Mario 3D World are driving the sales, not exactly core games are they...

For this reason I don't think PS4 will have much, if any effect on WiiU sales whenever it's released in Japan and I don't think PS4 or Xbone will have much of an effect on WiiU sales in the rest of the World. WiiU is aimed at a completely different market of casuals, families and kids.

People who will buy or who are thinking of buying WiiU will buy it for the core Nintendo games that you can't get anywhere else or for more of the casual experiences they got on the Wii like Wii Party/Fit/Sports ect. Those people aren't going anywhere near a $400/$500 console to play AC and CoD at a better resolution than the PS360 versions. IMO those consoles will only have an effect on WiiU hardware sales when they drop to around the same price as it and that won't be for many years as I expect Nintendo to price drop WiiU again around the time MK8 releases in March or April.

DrWong

In its own context I think Vita did well.

In its own context 3DS did ok as the number one device but meh compared to last year and taking into account MH4 & X/Y releases.

Wii U benefits from the usual Nintendo Christmas effect but the bump is bigger than expected. Very good week in its context and a good sign for a better baseline coming next year.

Well, Steeldiver Subwars was rated in Australia at the same time (or slightly before) NES Remix, so we might see that drop in Q1. Maybe January.

Good point.

Asd202

Hmm I woder if starting next year Japan will become the biggest market for WiiU while US/EU number will continue to drop until Mario Kart and Smash hits.

so my 2014 Media Create prediction

Wii U LTD to pass XBOX 360 LTD in a month

PS4 LTD to pass Wii U LTD in 2 weeks

when is the X1 going to come out in Japan?

Your ultra-low expectations for the successor of Wii explain now your happiness for every mediocre-selling Wii U title.

I'm not happy but I don't see how people can expect much more than a million sales of the latest Mario when the install base of the console it's on is around 4 million. On top of that Mario games have unreal sales legs so the game will probably have sold two million by Jan 1st 2015.

Will people call Knack or Killzone a 'bomba' when they only sell 100k non bundled in Japan in their first week on a PS4 install base of 1 million ?. Software sales are relative to hardware install base, I'm sure everyone in this thread understands that.

I can't actually believe there are a couple of people trying to put a bad spin on this console selling over 100 000 units in a single week after it was selling 3k in a week just six weeks ago... Whether it's a short term Holiday sales bump or not it's still an incredible boost in sales.

I actually wasn't bothered if the console completely bombed this Holiday season, it would have been worth it to see Iwata's revised plans in Jan which I think would have included them removing the tablet controller combined with a major price cut.

spock

Pretty much inline what I said a few weeks back. Watch for the bump in the US as well for the wiiu. Its not going to crush it but its trend changed a few weeks ago and the baseline and overall trend across the board has changed for the positive. Slow steady forward momentum with bigger bumps with each strong software release. As the library of exclusives builds up the baseline will improve and keep sloping up but it will be a tight and slow uptrend.I really want to see how things are doing come march/april. In particular here in the USA with the X1/PS4 in contrast.

Fisico

Sinobi said:
[PS3] New Dynasty Warriors: Gundam <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.980) - 350K
[PSV] New Dynasty Warriors: Gundam <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.980) - 150K

[PSV] Gekijouban Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Battle Pentagram <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.980) - 30K
[PSV] Gekijouban Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Battle Pentagram [Limited Box] <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥9.980) - 50K

Famitsu said:
05./00. [PS3] New Dynasty Warriors: Gundam <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.12.19} (¥7.980) - 113.493 / NEW <60-80%>
09./00. [PSV] New Dynasty Warriors: Gundam <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.12.19} (¥6.980) - 44.889 / NEW <80-100%>
19./00. [PSV] Gekijouban Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Battle Pentagram # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.12.19} (¥5.980) - 23.860 / NEW <80-100%>

Always funny.
The launch of Shin Gundam Musou isn't that bad per se.

[PS3+360] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) - 180,410
[PS2] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) - 148,128

[PS3+360] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) - 188,697
[PS2] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) - 91,632

[PS3+360] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) - 202,293

[PS3+PSV] New Dynasty Warriors: Gundam <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) - 158,382

Ratio FW/LTD (versions best included)
[PS3+360] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) - 49,7%
[PS3+360] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) - 54,3%
[PS3+360] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) - 55,5%
[PS3+PSV] New Dynasty Warriors: Gundam <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) - ??,?%

EDIT : Woops, completely forgot there were X360 version for the three Gundam Musou
DOUBLE EDIT : Yup those are Famitsu numbers, Takao's are Media Create

Takao

Banned
Since someone asked:

[PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam - 170.725 / 273.655

[360] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam International - lol

[PS2] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Special - 149.846 / 267.129

[PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 - 176.448 / 310.957
[PS2] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 - 99.696 / 270.088
[360] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 - 26.773 / 52.058

[PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 - 185.908 / 363 627
[360] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 - 12.480 / 23.090

[PS3] New Dynasty Warriors: Gundam - 126.019 / NEW
[PSV] New Dynasty Warriors: Gundam - 52.667 / NEW

Edit: This is what I get for not previewing posts ...
Double Edit: My numbers are from Media Create, so I guess this wasn't a total waste.

Anko

I was hoping to find a copy of madoka limited edition while I'm in Japan but I can't even find the standard edition in stores. Stores indicate that it's sold out. Then to come here and see it doing under 30k in sales...

Do I smack Bandai Namco or the retailers. Someone please point me somewhere.

This may have been covered already, so forgive me for asking, but what's up with the discrepancy between the two trackers on Wii Party U sales? Is it download cards or something?

BD1

Banned
Well, if DKC: Tropical Freeze proves as popular in Japan as DKCR, Nintendo could have a very nice run the next few weeks with Wii U.

Vita selling 1/4 of 3DS and still getting all the third party support, I love it!

Third parties like decently powerful hardware to work with... I hope Nintendo take that into account when designing their next home and handheld console (which they should be doing right about now).

genuinely suprised by the wiiu. with how terrible its been doing, i didnt even expect it to have the traditional nintendo holiday bump. everyone raise a glass to those numbers, cause they wont last. the system remains a zombie.

Also a little disappointed in the 3DS. perhaps my expectations have permanently warped, having lived through the periode when the DS just destroyed the charts with 600k weeks one after another. The 3Ds seems to have reached a saturation point.

I do love seeing all the games on the chart getting a +% next to their name. Good news for everyone!!

Vita selling 1/4 of 3DS and still getting all the third party support, I love it!
"All the third party support"? What major games are releasing for it? MH is the biggest 3rd party ip and it went to 3DS
This may have been covered already, so forgive me for asking, but what's up with the discrepancy between the two trackers on Wii Party U sales? Is it download cards or something?
Hardware bundles

Takao

Banned
Apophis2036, I hope those PS4 numbers you posted are just things you made up on the spot, and not what you actually think those things will sell. Knack, and Killzone are going to struggle to hit 100k LTD unbundled forget 100k FW.

HardRojo

Nice to see the Wii U going from less than 3k to over 100k in a matter of months, I'm aware the bump is related to the holidays but still shows there's some interest in the system.

Vita is looking good too, hopefully it'll be able to maintain a strong constant number.

3DS is just a beast, no need to elaborate, over 230k... Wow!

Top Bottom