• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 6, 2012 (Feb 06 - Feb 12)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I think that's referring to his notorious predictions about MH3G being a huge flop on a Nintendo handheld, but it's a moot issue anyway since apparently that was not the impetus for the lock.

If that's being used to some how imply that i have some negative bias against the 3DS then you're all more stupid than even i gave you credit for.

it was a prediction of fan base movement - nothing more, nothing less - i got the prediction wrong. It had nothing to do with the 3DS as a platform, it was to do with fanbase.

My post history is there, you can go have a look at what i think of the 3DS at your own leisure.

Truth101

Banned
If that's being used to some how imply that i have some negative bias against the 3DS then you're all more stupid than even i gave you credit for.

Fixed that for you.

But, in all seriousness I'm going to enjoy the first Vita/3DS clash of sales next week.

Metallix87

I'll say this: If it was just an opinion piece, or a mistranslation, Sony wouldn't have a reason to comment. At all. They did, though. And in a way that doesn't even really refute the original article. That's kinda worrisome.

Agreed. I'm actually surprised by the way this is playing out.

DiscoJer

What if it's Sega? I know its existence was only a rumor, but I can see them moving Phantasy Star: Victory (aka Phantasy Star Portable 3) to the 3DS. Don't have to completely remake the graphics and the success of Monster Hunters proves there is an audience for that type of game on the 3DS

I sort of wonder if it's a smaller publisher? Maybe more like Atlus, Marvelous AQL or Falcom?

MAQL came to mind, I don't even know what Vita games they have underway.

Falcom and Atlus? Noooo, Sony's been their bread and better, no way they'll just abandon the Vita, same with NIS and Gust.

Of the big, Sega seems to be the most "logical", I mean no one can deny their massive success on Nintendo's platforms, at least with M&S. They just have Samurai & Dragons and SMB, not sure what else. Fake edit: Oh yeah, potentially Phantasy Star Victory, the PSP entries were successful, so... that's an incentive not to abandon ship? Maybe they'd think it'd do just as well if not better on 3DS if they did? I'm not jumping to conclusions until we find out... if ever.

DiscoJer

Of the big, Sega seems to be the most "logical", I mean no one can deny their massive success on Nintendo's platforms, at least with M&S. They just have Samurai & Dragons and SMB, not sure what else. Fake edit: Oh yeah, potentially Phantasy Star Victory, the PSP entries were successful, so... that's an incentive not to abandon ship? Maybe they'd think it'd do just as well if not better on 3DS if they did? I'm not jumping to conclusions until we find out... if ever.

Well, the PSP games on the PSP were probably successful because of Monster Hunter driving the PSP as the system for local co-op play.

This time around, Monster Hunter is doing the same for the 3DS.

Maedhros

Well, the PSP games on the PSP were program successful because of Monster Hunter driving the PSP as the system for local co-op play.

This time around, Monster Hunter is doing the same for the 3DS.

Didn't the Phantasy Star Portable games came before MH?

P90

What if it's Sega? I know its existence was only a rumor, but I can see them moving Phantasy Star: Victory (aka Phantasy Star Portable 3) to the 3DS. Don't have to completely remake the graphics and the success of Monster Hunters proves there is an audience for that type of game on the 3DS

I don't care the handheld platform, just as long as there is a PSP3.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's not really that weird. It only sold 40k (plus PSN), not 150k or 200k. There are all kinds of games that sell 40k that don't push hardware. Especially a new IP with unusual mechanics and low brand awareness.

It wouldn't surprise me that a game that sells 40k doesn't push hardware. It does surprise me that a game that sells 40k on a console selling 15k with a 500k install base didn't do anything to push hardware.

No, after.

It wouldn't surprise me that a game that sells 40k doesn't push hardware. It does surprise me that a game that sells 40k on a console selling 15k with a 500k install base didn't do anything to push hardware.
Its not surprising at all, even in this case. I mean 40k is just 40k in the end, everyone who wanted the game already owned the Vita is not surprising. Its not like the game came out of nowhere, its been known since the Vita was revealed.

Kazerei

Banned

2005-12-01 Monster Hunter Portable
2007-02-22 Monster Hunter Portable 2nd
2008-03-27 Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G
2008-07-31 Phantasy Star Portable
2009-12-03 Phantasy Star Portable 2
2010-12-01 Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
2011-02-24 Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity

frostbyte

I sort of wonder if it's a smaller publisher? Maybe more like Atlus, Marvelous AQL or Falcom?

Atlus, maybe but still doubt they'd ditch the support they had from the PSP.

Marvelous, potentially, because all they've announced are unnamed RPG/Adventure titles that could easily be vaporware.

Falcon is almost definitely no. If they did, I'd cry bitter tears over the Kiseki/Ys series.

Sega seems unlikely too but maybe they could move PSV to the 3DS.

Maedhros

2005-12-01 Monster Hunter Portable
2007-02-22 Monster Hunter Portable 2nd
2008-03-27 Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G
2008-07-31 Phantasy Star Portable
2009-12-03 Phantasy Star Portable 2
2010-12-01 Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
2011-02-24 Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity

MH certainly helped then.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Tons of people presumably already bought their Vita for Gravity Daze.

Dalthien

Except the exact same thing just happened last week with Ragnarok Odyssey, and Vita dropped another 2k in sales that week. And at least Ragnarok was an established (if not really well-known) IP which had the potential of bringing in people that enjoyed the previous entries. Gravity Rush didn't even have that going for it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
MAQL came to mind, I don't even know what Vita games they have underway.

Falcom and Atlus? Noooo, Sony's been their bread and better, no way they'll just abandon the Vita, same with NIS and Gust.
Atlus put a lot of effort into the DS thanks to Niinou's early efforts getting the ball rolling. I doubt they are the one being referenced but Sony isn't really their bread and butter.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Atlus put a lot of effort into the DS thanks to Niinou's early efforts getting the ball rolling. I doubt they are the one being referenced but Sony isn't really their bread and butter.

Atlus loves the DS. That reminds me, Trauma Center in 3D would be nuts.

This doesn't really make sense. Capcom has always had multi-platform Monster Hunter titles.

Yes, but not competing attempts at the same basic product on comparable platforms. There's only one platform that got a developed-for-handhelds MH last gen (PSP), and only one platform that got a developed-for-consoles MH (Wii). Then there's an MMO (on PC and 360, because those are the places they could negotiate the deal they wanted for subs) and a bunch of random iOS crap. None of these are substitutionary goods, whereas competing 3DS and Vita series would be.

Basically: if they were going to spend time developing two different series, why do it on 3DS and Vita (which target the exact same market and have the same lifestyle benefits) when they could do it on, say, 3DS and PS4 (or Wii U, or whatever) to have one portable and one home-console series?

What else will they do with the Portable brand?

There's no such thing. If MHP3 had been called "Monster Hunter Three" instead it would have sold exactly the same number of copies to exactly the same people. It had no brand meaning on its own except as a convenient signifier of the difference between the console and handheld releases.

So let's say Capcom is foolish enough to only make big MH titles for the 3DS. With the route they're going, they'll oversaturate the market quickly.

Like... they did... with PSP? Lulz.

I've seen this a couple times and don't really understand it. Why would releasing a game on two competing portable systems (MH) hurt sales, but releasing a game on competing consoles simultaneously help sales for the publisher? Isn't it the same thing? One game on more systems will bring more sales?

Monster Hunter is a franchise whose appeal lies almost entirely in local co-op multiplayer. As a result, a multiplatform release is actually worse for players, because their local group of potential players will be split and everyone will have a harder time finding co-op partners. The same concern doesn't apply to single-player games (where it doesn't matter if anyone else buys the game) or online games (where as long as each system sells a decent number of copies there will always be someone to play with on each platform.)

It wouldn't be such a problem to release different games at different times on the two systems, since then buyers would be secure in the knowledge that everyone buying the latest release would be intercompatible, but the question is... why? There are almost no publishers in the industry who actually engage in this kind of release pattern, because there's not much point to it. If a series is successful on a given platform, there's not much reason to put resources into a lesser-selling iteration on a similar platform when you could invest elsewhere (home console version, other franchises, etc.)

assuming that the game is built on MT-f, surely it would just make more sense to announce a 3DS version -as well- ?

Yeah, it would be frankly bizarre to cancel SFvT for Vita even if they honestly think the market for the system is tanking at this point, since the game's already coming out on multiple other platforms.

Sure the Wii might not receive every third party multiplatform title, but are you really doubting that it won't get the majority?

I think there's a very good chance with both Vita and Wii U that they won't get looped in on a pretty large portion of multiplatform titles, yes.

Assuming the rumor even has any validity, neither Atlus nor Falcom is particularly plausible; both have a pretty sensible set of possible Vita releases scheduled, neither would be targeting a pre-existing 3DS audience with a move, and both are small enough that even a low install base is unlikely to seriously affect the sales of their announced titles.

I'm hoping a new Etrian Odyssey is in the works though.

It was announced in their list of completely-lacking-in-details "pledged support" for 3DS and unlike SMT/Persona (which could mean anything from specific ports/series entries to a general intent to release "some kind of Megaten games" on 3DS) there's no real reason to assume they mean anything but a same-basic-formula Etrian Odyssey 4.

As much as I want a Phantasy Star 0 follow-up on the 3DS, if Vita doesn't get any PSO I'll... I don't know, write an angry Twitter or something, because that's the main reason I'll be getting a Vita.

donny2112

Based on this I'd guess it's Sega, Level 5, or possibly Namco.

Between those, Level 5 seems the most likely. Since they're already putting out a PSP version of Time Travelers, that'll be on Vita via download, so less reason for a Vita-specific port.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a much smaller publisher being referenced in the article. Also could still see Level 5 doing a Vita RPG, but just as developer and not publisher. That way there's less risk for them.

frostbyte

As much as I want a Phantasy Star 0 follow-up on the 3DS, if Vita doesn't get any PSO I'll... I don't know, write an angry Twitter or something, because that's the main reason I'll be getting a Vita.

totally forgot about Phantasy Star 0. How did that sell compared to PSP 1/2? Maybe that could be a reason for Sega to bet on the 3DS?

Anyway, I agree that thy Vita should get PSO. Especially since the title is so fitting.

vareon

It was announced in their list of completely-lacking-in-details "pledged support" for 3DS and unlike SMT/Persona (which could mean anything from specific ports/series entries to a general intent to release "some kind of Megaten games" on 3DS) there's no real reason to assume they mean anything but a same-basic-formula Etrian Odyssey 4.

Curious, who developed EO3 and what are they doing after that?

Just saw the Taco Bell commercial for the first time, and I was really struck by how much a Vita resembles a PSP. Could Vita be victim of the same failure to differentiate itself adequately from its predecessor that plagued the 3DS?

I think there's a very good chance with both Vita and Wii U that they won't get looped in on a pretty large portion of multiplatform titles, yes.
Why would you think that? You really expect third parties to ignore the Wii-U just because? There's absolutely no reason they wouldn't, unless the Wii-U does Gamecube numbers, and with the way their first party franchises have been selling, I really don't see that happening.

Terrell

Vita, I can agree with, but the WiiU, I can't.

See, there's something we all forget: portables are meant for PORTABLE gaming experiences. And developers know it, after what happened with some PSP games that offered a full-featured console experience in your hand and then proceeded to bomb miserably. So that's going to put a cap on a lot of straight Vita ports of full console games, especially in certain genres.

It's going to take Wii U awhile to get up to speed on getting ports. Think PS3 in 2007, that's mostly the sort of effort I'm expecting for ports in Wii U's first year.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
See, there's something we all forget: portables are meant for PORTABLE gaming experiences. And developers know it, after what happened with some PSP games. So that's going to put a cap on a lot of straight Vita ports of full console games.

So ... Vita ISN'T going to be just ports after all?

It's going to take Wii U awhile to get up to speed on getting ports. Think PS3 in 2007, that's mostly the sort of effort I'm expecting for ports in Wii U's first year.
I doubt it'll take that long, the Wii-U sounds like its easy to port to, unlike the PS3 which was a mess to work with. HD development wasn't very mature either at that point, its pretty much fleshed out by now.

I mean we got Activision porting COD to the Wii, and that sold like shit compared to the HD twins. Even the PSP recieved alot of games with the HD twins, while the Wii got left out, solely due to the lack of power. Western develops don't play console wars, they're out to make money, they're not going to leave out a console thats fully capable of sharing major titles.

Just saw the Taco Bell commercial for the first time, and I was really struck by how much a Vita resembles a PSP. Could Vita be victim of the same failure to differentiate itself adequately from its predecessor that plagued the 3DS?

Considering Nintendo did a 360 on 3DS mostly advertised feature - 3D? No, I don't think differentiation is a problem. You have a clear physical change - two sticks, larger screen. 3DS was in worse situation here.

Nairume

Banned
Considering Nintendo did a 360 on 3DS mostly advertised feature - 3D? No, I don't think differentiation is a problem. You have a clear physical change - two sticks, larger screen. 3DS was in worse situation here.

One stick and a larger screen wasn't a clear physical change?

Top Bottom