• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2012 (Feb 20 - Feb 26)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
MGS3D is going to crater. There is literally zero buzz about the game whatsoever. I don't think it's likely that it can even sell 50k in the first week.

I agree with you, in fact I think that also 100K LTD would be bad for a MGS episode.

donny2112

PS3 is one price drop from catching up with Wii LTD!

Failing to see how this could be reality.

If PS3 remains unimpeded for a few more years, maybe, but Wii U should start taking a good bit of that market and even PS4 would impede further PS3 increases. PS3 is essentially the *only* option for Japanese gamers wanting regular console game support. Give a better option, and the users will move. And well before it crosses Wii's LTD.

Lausebub

Banned
3DS March lineup is gonna be good

(2012-03-01) Doraemon: Nobita and the Island of Miracles
(2012-03-01) Mario & Sonic at the London Olympic Games
(2012-03-08) Girls RPG Cinderella Life
(2012-03-08) Hatsune Miku and Future Stars Project Mirai
(2012-03-08) Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D
(2012-03-15) If I Were in a Sealed Room With a Girl, I'd Probably XXX
(2012-03-22) Kid Icarus Uprising
(2012-03-22) Pac-Man Party 3D
(2012-03-29) Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance

What do you guys expect to be the best seller here? I guess KH3D should end up selling best, if Nintendo promotes it enough Kid Icarus second. But the rest?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Love Plus is similar enough to Hatsune in fanbase and that had a 100k debut. I think 100k over its lifetime is under crediting it a bit thats all.

Some overlap possibly, but I doubt it's the same audience. Besides, Love Plus has a history on DS platforms, Miku does not.

I expect KH3D >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Miku >> Uprising >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> *

That's about what I expect as well. I see KH3D possibly debuting at 350K

Road

how long will PSP > PSV last?
PS2 x PS3 in 2007:
tra-5

PS3 spikes, in order:

- Dynasty Warriors Gundam - 171k
- Hot Shots Golf 5 - 152k
- Dynasty Warriors 6 - 188k (followed by Winning Eleven 2008 - 141k - and holiday season)

Kazerei

Banned
What do you guys expect to be the best seller here? I guess KH3D should end up selling best, if Nintendo promotes it enough Kid Icarus second. But the rest?

Prediction time? (lifetime numbers)

Kingdom Hearts - 500k-600k
Hatsune Miku - 200k-300k
Mario & Sonic - 100k-200k
Kid Icarus - 100k-200k
Girls RPG - 50k-100k
Metal Gear Solid - 50k-100k

*shrugs*

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Looking at the chart it's clear as to why PSP is outsellig Vita; it's still getting plenty of new releases.

Maybe it was a mistake to release Vita in Japan over the west for the holidays. Especially with a Japanese market that's still happily snapping up PSP games.

Looking at the chart it's clear as to why PSP is outsellig Vita; it's still getting plenty of new releases.

Maybe it was a mistake to release Vita in Japan over the west for the holidays. Especially with a Japanese market that's still happily snapping up PSP games.

Unfortunately, Japan is also the main creator of games for handheld systems so they're kinda boned in that regard.

Love Plus is similar enough to Hatsune in fanbase and that had a 100k debut. I think 100k over its lifetime is under crediting it a bit thats all.

Remember that 50k is the shipment of the LE, which apparently went sold out fast.

Kingdom Hearts - 600k-700k
Hatsune Miku - 100k-150k
Mario & Sonic - 50k-80k
Kid Icarus - 100k-300k
Girls RPG - 5k-10k
Metal Gear Solid - 10k-20k

Fixed

nickcv

Goodbye my love. :(

judging from what we know of Vita future lineup i have the feeling that this time around the sony portable will be living of western sales while struggling in japan... kinda like the opposite of what happened with the PSP...

we just have to wait and see how much the western market (and i mean devs and publishers) are willing to support a portable console.

Man maybe one day when I'm wasted I will try out love plus( one of them is fan translated right?).

Might just be me, but the whole Pokemon thingy feels like some cloak and dagger stuff going on.

Pretty much a warning shot is fired. Reminding Sony that, yes, Pokemon will be hitting 3ds.

Or that's how my neptunia fanfic is coming along.

PS2 x PS3 in 2007:
tra-5

PS3 spikes, in order:

- Dynasty Warriors Gundam - 171k
- Hot Shots Golf 5 - 152k
- Dynasty Warriors 6 - 188k (followed by Winning Eleven 2008 - 141k - and holiday season)

This is why I think Vita has potential to still be big in the end like PS3 became.

Even though 3DS will be getting more support than Wii could ever muster up.

Kingdom Hearts - 500k-600k
Hatsune Miku - 200k-300k
Mario & Sonic - 100k-200k
Kid Icarus - 100k-200k
Girls RPG - 50k-100k
Metal Gear Solid - 50k-100k

*shrugs*

That KH number would be terrible.

Well not terrible, but that's hardly higher than KH 358/2 Days.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
3DS has so throughly replaced the DS that it doesn't matter what system Pokémon comes out on; any system sales will be given to the 3DS anyways.

Duxxy3

This brings up an interesting question... is it possible for the vita to do well in north america and in Europe with no Japanese-centric games? The upcoming release list really isn't that bad for those regions.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
KH 3D has the very real chance of becoming the best selling portable KH game worldwide and I think it will be the second big third party hit for the system. It could do over a million lifetime in Japan.

Takao

Banned
judging from what we know of Vita future lineup i have the feeling that this time around the sony portable will be living of western sales while struggling in japan... kinda like the opposite of what happened with the PSP...

we just have to wait and see how much the western market (and i mean devs and publishers) are willing to support a portable console.

Sony might as well have not announced Vita if they're hoping western third party support will bail them out. Most western companies are nearly brain dead in terms of their support of dedicated handhelds.

nickcv

This is why I think Vita has potential to still be big in the end like PS3 became.

Even though 3DS will be getting more support than Wii could ever muster up.

the key difference is that while PS3 didn't have much competition, vita does.

devs where making games that just PS3 and 360 could support, leaving the Wii out of the equation.

The portable market is a whole different beast, most support will be toward the weaker nintendo system, as it have always been in the portable market.

West is a whole different story.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I wonder if it'll be hard to get Uprising day 1 in Japan without preordering...

EXGN

Failing to see how this could be reality.

If PS3 remains unimpeded for a few more years, maybe, but Wii U should start taking a good bit of that market and even PS4 would impede further PS3 increases. PS3 is essentially the *only* option for Japanese gamers wanting regular console game support. Give a better option, and the users will move. And well before it crosses Wii's LTD.

I think it all depends on price and how long the PS3 will continue to get high-quality games. At the current rate, the PS3 is on pace to sell maybe 1 million more than the Wii this year. It's a long shot, but if the PS3 gets a price drop to a mass market price that can push to an average increase of +10,000 units where it currently stands, it could tie the Wii in maybe two or three years right as the PS4 is speculated to hit.

Too many assumptions though. I don't think it will happen, but who knows. I never would have thought we'd be having this discussion three years ago.

Takao

Banned
Not even with a final mix added to it?

Yeah, I guess it's still a bit high.

dat goal post

Even with Final Mix it'll likely just miss a million. I think the only KH games that could be a million seller is another numbered entry. But it has been so long since the last numbered entry that the brand may have been diluted a bit.

loweredexpectations.jpg

That's what everyone has been saying, anyway: if the Vita gets big games, it can not be a total failure.

You know, I always wondered what people mean when they point at the PS3 and speak of a remarkable turnaround. The launch of the Slim was a slight turn of fate and there are a bunch of reasons why the PS3 outlives the Wii, but the life cycle of the PS3 is really not encouraging at all when you're thinking of the Vita.

That KH number would be terrible.

Well not terrible, but that's hardly higher than KH 358/2 Days.
I know userbase isn't the only factor, but 3DS will have less than a quarter the userbase DS had when 358/2 launched, and less than half the userbase PSP had when Birth by Sleep launched.

Though it's worth noting that the original did pretty OK, and launched when PS2 was around 8 million.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ventus/Vanitas/shut up Nomura is basically Sora.

In theory, yes. But this time it's the genuine Sora on a system with a Analogue nub and not shit 3D graphics. I sense potential to reach BbS in LTD and possibly exceed it, if only marginally.

Whelp, guess I'll be holding onto my 3DS for Japan support. 3DS outselling the Vita by an average of over 200K a month in slower months. I expect nearly every publisher to jump ship from the Vita to 3DS if this sales trend continues. Going to have to wait 3 years for Sony to get their act together again like it happened with the PSP and PS3.

I'd like Falcom to see the light and start using those 3DS kits. With more equalized media costs this time around, there's more incentive for them to go multiplatform and that 3DS base is going to look better and better as time goes on. All their old PC (Ys VI engine) and PSP games would make for good ports, even their Vita stuff so far looks like it'd translate pretty painlessly to 3DS.

Takao

Banned
I'd like Falcom to see the light and start using those 3DS kits. With more equalized media costs this time around, there's more incentive for them to go multiplatform and that 3DS base is going to look better and better as time goes on. All their old PC (Ys VI engine) and PSP games would make for good ports, even their Vita stuff so far looks like it'd translate pretty painlessly to 3DS.

What light? I doubt Ys IV is going to perform considerably worse than its PSP peers. The fact they're investing in PyreEngine should tell you they're not all too interested in Nintendo hardware.

I also really doubt they'd handle any ports internally. They shipped off the Kiseki PC and Vita ports to outside the company, why would 3DS be any different?

Top Bottom