• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the Everglade's newest invasive species: man-eating Nile crocodiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Thanks Florida.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/24/science/crocodiles-in-florida.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

The Nile crocodile, which inhabits sub-Saharan Africa, can grow to 21 feet long and weigh one and a half tons. It eats just about anything — including humans.

Now four have been found in Florida, although none were that large.
They were probably brought from South Africa and kept as pets or zoo displays.

One was a hatchling about a foot long sitting on a porch in Miami. Another was found on the property of a private zoo in Homestead, Fla., and a third, a 10-pound female, was captured in a public park, also in Homestead.

Finally, five months later, in March 2012, a three-foot-long female was trapped in a canal in Homestead, above. This one was tagged and released.

She turned up again two years later and 29 miles away, having grown to five and a half feet long.

Kenneth L. Krysko, an author of the study that describes the animals, said that there was no indication that the crocodiles were reproducing.

Still, he said, “This is a very big predator, and now we’ve introduced it into Florida. This is not a good thing.”

Another article stated that there are chances that more are out there.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...s-Possible-380154931.html?_osource=nbcnews_fb

Step aside, Burmese python, you may no longer be Florida's scariest invasive species. Researchers have confirmed that three Nile crocodiles were captured near Miami, and they say it's possible more of the man-eating reptiles are still out there, although no one can say for sure.

The big question now: How did they get to Florida?

"They didn't swim from Africa," University of Florida herpetologist Kenneth Krysko said.

"But we really don't know how they got into the wild."
[lol]

Krysko and his co-authors just published a paper showing that DNA testing proved the three animals captured in 2009, 2011 and 2014 are Nile crocs, a species whose males grow to over 16 feet long and weigh upward of 1,600 pounds. Nile crocs are believed to be responsible for up to 200 fatalities annually in their native sub-Saharan Africa. Compare that with an annual average of six reported shark attack deaths globally.

Krysko, who works at UF's Florida Museum of Natural History, said the captured crocodiles matched genetically, meaning they are related to one another, but didn't match Nile crocs kept at Disney's Animal Kingdom and other licensed Florida attractions. That means the crocs probably were brought to Florida illegally by an unlicensed reptile collector who either didn't contain them properly, allowing them to escape, or, more sinisterly, planted them in the Everglades in hopes they would multiply.

The Nile croc, if it became established in the Everglades, would pose another invasive threat to its teetering ecosystem. Through crossbreeding, they could endanger the smaller, less aggressive American crocodiles, which have never been responsible for a confirmed human death in the U.S. About 1,000 American crocodiles live in South Florida, mostly in mangroves and estuaries. Any hybrids would degrade the genetic integrity of the endangered American variety.

Pretty interesting read all together. And then suddenly super hybrid African-American man-eaters!

Can I move back to Minnesota now?

Zombine

Banned
She sailed away on a sunny summer day on the back of a crocodile.

"You see," said she, "he's as tame as he can be, I'll ride him down the Nile."

Then it ate her.

The first bad winter will kill them off like it did the pythons. They can't handle even mildly low temperatures. It's why alligators have a much larger range and are more successful than American crocodiles.

Dennis

Banned
Finally, five months later, in March 2012, a three-foot-long female was trapped in a canal in Homestead, above. This one was tagged and released.

She turned up again two years later and 29 miles away, having grown to five and a half feet long.

wut

Drazgul

Soon.

Bv5zjlD.jpg

I was unaware of American Crocodiles being in Florida. I thought the US only naturally had Alligators.

In any case if Nile Crocodiles manage to start breeding and growing to full size it's going to be a serious problems. They get to absurd sizes don't they? Especially compared to the typical alligator.

Booser

With so many exotic species taking root it's basically a mini-Amazon at this point.

(I realise Nile crocodiles don't live in the Amazon)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Sometimes it feels like the USA is going to have species from all over the damn world living here in some form or another with people buying exotic pets, realizing they can't handle it and then releasing it into their wild outside their backyard. I'm hoping for Mountain Gorillas in the Rockies and Giraffe's in Utah.

CoolOff

I was unaware of American Crocodiles being in Florida. I thought the US only naturally had Alligators.

In any case if Nile Crocodiles manage to start breeding and growing to full size it's going to be a serious problems. They get to absurd sizes don't they? Especially compared to the typical alligator.

I like the guy going "helloooo".

Sometimes it feels like the USA is going to have species from all over the damn world living here in some form or another with people buying exotic pets, realizing they can't handle it and then releasing it into their wild outside their backyard. I'm hoping for Mountain Gorillas in the Rockies and Giraffe's in Utah.

I cant handle this Hippopotamus any longer!
And then you see it...a colony of hippos at the Hoover Dam....

Thewonandonly

Man that would be so tight to have gorillas in the Rockies. I'm snowboarding then all the sudden I see a silver back fighting off another gorilla. To bad it's to cold :(

At best they'll be limited to the very southern tip of Florida. People on the Keys and the Caribbean will need to be wary, but they, like their American cousins, can't survive any further north. They are extremely vulnerable to the cold. Compare this to American alligators which live as far north as southern Maryland and are much more docile.

There was a big hubbub a few years ago about invasive pythons, but the cold took care of them and severely limited their potential to breed and spread.

bengraven

I like the guy going "helloooo".

More like "Good bye - I'm fucked".

They only exist on the southern tip. I believe they're the same species as the ones in Cuba. I just learned recently that Cuba has crocs as well. Makes sense since Central America and South America have them, or forms of them.

Just another reason to believe the concept of Africa and South America being the same continent once.

Time to introduce hippos to fight the crocodiles

Hippos kill more people than Crocs do.

Edit: I was wrong, but still holy shit. 1000 croc deaths per year compared to 500 hippo deaths. Then again, that's croc deaths throughout the entire WORLD and hippos obviously are only in Africa.

Thewonandonly

It could be worse.

It could be salties.

Now saltwater crocodiles scare the shit out of me.
Saltwater a are monsters. Their the only reason why I want to visit Australia is to see one in person. Then I remember how big some of the insects get their and I say fuck that.

Harmen

Holy shit, I never knew these animals were so dangerous. I always assumed it to be similar to sharks, wolves, and other well-known predators, where it is actually somewhat rare for them to attack humans (in contrast to pop-culture).

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Man that would be so tight to have gorillas in the Rockies. I'm snowboarding then all the sudden I see a silver back fighting off another gorilla. To bad it's to cold :(

I cant handle this Hippopotamus any longer!
And then you see it...a colony of hippos at the Hoover Dam....

Personally I'm waiting for Komodo Dragons to set up a breeding colony in like Texas.

bengraven

Holy shit, I never knew these animals were so dangerous. I always assumed it to be similar to sharks, wolves, and other well-known predators, where it is actually somewhat rare for them to attack humans (in contrast to pop-culture).

Naturalists always say that humans are not part of any animal's food chain unless it's at the top. "Attacks are provoked".

But in the Nile crocs case, humans are definitely part of their diet. They are used to killing and eating human.

Saya

Saltwater a are monsters. Their the only reason why I want to visit Australia is to see one in person. Then I remember how big some of the insects get their and I say fuck that.

You can "swim" with one at the Crocosaurus Cove.

I was in Papua a few months ago and they are sometimes encountered over there. Everytime we went out with a boat I was looking out for these crocs. They scared me so much. A few weeks after my return I read a Russian tourist was killed by one during a snorkeling trip over there. so scary.

Toxi

Banned
Large crocodiles are terrifying.

• Unlike many other predators, large crocodiles are natural predators of Homo sapiens. Wolves, bears, sharks, lions, etc. do not normally hunt people. Tigers are more prone to it, but crocodiles? They have been gobbling up people visiting the water's edge since the dawn of our species.
  • Crocodiles grow to enormous size; salties can grow to over 20 feet and 2000 pounds, and while Nile Crocodiles are smaller, they're still pretty hefty. An 800 pound male is already larger than most land predators.
  • Crocodiles are numerous. Unlike many other large predators, they will happily share territory with others of their own kind, and Nile crocodiles lay dozens of eggs per clutch. They also cover a massive geographic area in Africa, Asia, and Australia.
  • Crocodiles hunt at the banks of bodies of freshwater, putting them in close proximity with humans, especially in poorer areas and especially children.
  • Crocodiles are ambush predators. They can sprint at a decent gait, but their main advantage while hunting is that you don't see them coming.
  • Crocodiles have evolved to kill large struggling mammals with maximum efficiency. In addition to their size, they have tough hide and the strongest bite in the animal kingdom. And then there's the infamous "death roll", when they spin their prey around underwater to simultaneously disorient the victim and rip it to shreds. People often fight off shark attacks, and even big cats can be repelled. Crocs? If one grabs you and pulls you into the water, you are dead.

There is a reason crocodiles kill more people than any other large predator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom