• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the new World's Most Expensive Building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Construction began Tuesday on the Yongsan Landmark Tower, which is expected to be the most expensive building in the world once it is completed, standing 100 stories tall and rising half a kilometer into the sky.

Scheduled to be built inside the international business district in Yongsan, the tower will not quite measure up to the Burj Khalifa in Dubai (162 stories, 828 m) or the Lotte Super Tower being built in Jamsil (123 stories, 555 m), but it will be the most expensive building per square unit.

At present, each 3.3 sq.m costs around W12.1 million (US$1=W1,167). The total construction cost is W1.4 trillion and the entire price tag for the building, including the land, stands at more than W4 trillion.

It will house the offices of global businesses and will offer a wide range of high-tech functions. First of all, the skyscraper will be equipped with the fastest elevators in the world that travel at 800 meters per second, more than six times faster than the lifts installed in high-rise condominiums in Korea (120 m/s).

2011101300696_0.jpg

Source.
800m/s, whoot!?

Havik

Lol 800m/s?? thats faster then the speed of sound! Should give a nice blast everytime someone takes the elevator.

Aesius

Dubai is going to be a cultural and anthropological gold mine when it's a deserted wasteland in about 30 years.

Ezalc

I can't wait to own the office at the top of it when I become a world famous executive. It will be where I make my favorite bruschetta.

According to my calculations, that's only 1.2 billion dollars. not sure how that could be the most expensive building ever. Cowboy Stadium cost 1.3 billion, Yankee Stadium cost 1.5 billion.

edit: oh I see. most expensive per sq foot.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Wait...so you can get from the ground floor to the top floor in about 0.625 seconds (assuming no stops along the way of course)?

DarthWoo said:
Wait...so you can get from the ground floor to the top floor in about 0.625 seconds (assuming no stops along the way of course)?

So, 0 to 800 m/s in half a second. Isn't that something like more than a hundred Gs of force each way or is my memory of physics dead wrong?

Utako

Banned
Obviously, if it can even get to those speeds, it's going to take most of the length of the tower to reach them!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Havik said:
Lol 800m/s?? thats faster then the speed of sound! Should give a nice blast everytime someone takes the elevator.

The thought of having 120 decibel noises inside that building is blowing my mind. They probably will use awesome isolation material, but still too crazy to be true.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
More Fun To Compute said:
So, 0 to 800 m/s in half a second. Isn't that something like more than a hundred Gs of force each way or is my memory of physics dead wrong?

Yeah, forgot it would have to accelerate somewhere along the line. I wonder if it really even has room to reach its top speed in that confined space then. I don't think it could ever even reach that speed due to gravity just from a dead fall from the top.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Lonely1 said:
It will house the offices of global businesses and will offer a wide range of high-tech functions. First of all, the skyscraper will be equipped with the fastest elevators in the world that travel at 800 meters per second, more than six times faster than the lifts installed in high-rise condominiums in Korea (120 m/s).

800m/s, whoot!?
WHAT? Did they take that figure from the dopest interoffice pneumatic tubes?

800 meters a second would a mile in 2 seconds

i don't know if i want to be riding an elevator at 120 mph.... holy shit!

that's like the speed of the elevator in duke nukem forever where you have to pull on the brake to stop it.

mike23

DarthWoo said:
Yeah, forgot it would have to accelerate somewhere along the line. I wonder if it really even has room to reach its top speed in that confined space then. I don't think it could ever even reach that speed due to gravity just from a dead fall from the top.

It also has to stop slowly. That means it has to reach the top speed somewhere in the middle.

It's obviously impossible, but someone could probably calculate the actual top speed in a building like that.

Assuming no more than 1.2ish G in accelerating up. Any more an it'd be a amusement park ride. Probably .8G or so for slowing down. Can't have people floating away or worse, slamming into the ceiling, lol.

MrHicks

Banned
KHarvey16 said:
Please tell me no one here is seriously believing the elevators travel at 800 meters per second.

i dunno how much you know about korean culture (im an expert) but high speed elevators are huge parts of it.
Anything less then 800M/s is pretty much shooting themselves in the foot.

LQX

Dubai seems to take the Homer Simpson concept when it comes to construction. There is something admirable about it all though but it also kind of makes you shake your head.

Mindlog

Kenak said:
How can it possibly go 800m/s? Is this a joke?
ramjets
No, wait! It has to be a modified EMALS. With that kind of power it would probably make a very effective rail gun. This building is a transformer.

Meadows

Banned
800m/m isn't that fast though, certainly not fast enough to talk about in an article....no way it's per second though, that'd break everyone who is in the lift's legs.

MrHicks said:
i dunno how much you know about korean culture (im an expert) but high speed elevators are huge parts of it.
Anything less then 800M/s is pretty much shooting themselves in the foot.
I heard some Koreans don't even wait for the elevator to show up. They just head down the shaft.

KHarvey16

Just to put the silliness of the number into perspective, here's a bit from a press release about the forthcoming installation of the world's fastest elevator:

Mitsubishi Electric Corporation (TOKYO: 6503) announced today it has received an order from Shanghai Tower Construction & Development Co., Ltd. for the installation of the world's fastest elevators, travelling at 18 meters (or 59 feet) per second, in the Shanghai Tower currently under construction in the Pudong district of Shanghai, China.

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
I heard some Koreans don't even wait for the elevator to show up. They just head down the shaft.

With their electric wheelchair?

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:

That's no good compared to this elevator. If they jump off it would be much slower and safer than riding it down.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I hope Kim tha Illest slaps a ballistic missile on the Ryugyong' elevator just for shit and giggles.

5538552678_d64a57656d_b.jpg

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Accident

Oh cool, so this elevator will get you from New York to London in just under two hours.

I, for one, welcome our new transportation overlords.

ianp622

Toma said:
The thought of having 120 decibel noises inside that building is blowing my mind. They probably will use awesome isolation material, but still too crazy to be true.
They would probably make the elevator shaft a vacuum.

GavinGT

Banned
800 m/s? That's about how fast a bullet travels. No f'ing way. The building is only a half-kilometer tall, and they're saying it can go nearly an entire kilometer in a second?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
quinntendopower said:
800 meters a second would a mile in 2 seconds

i don't know if i want to be riding an elevator at 120 mph.... holy shit!
It's closer to 1790mph... -.-

leadbelly

Banned
The level in which skyscraper design has evolved is quite incredible. It seems every country now is trying out do each other with the most elaborate and sophisticated designs possible.

It's interesting that the US -- the home of the skyscraper -- doesn't really have anything to rival such designs.

It has some similarity to 'The Pinnacle' that has just started construction in London.

2839ThePinnacle_pic1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom