• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the new World's Most Expensive Building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aegus said:
Only 8x slower than the Space Shuttle!

qxMbN.gif

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
leadbelly said:
The level in which skyscraper design has evolved is quite incredible. It seems every country now is trying out do each other with the most elaborate and sophisticated designs possible.

It's interesting that the US -- the home of the skyscraper -- doesn't really have anything to rival such designs.
The Chicago spire was going to be so kick-ass...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
leadbelly said:
The level in which skyscraper design has evolved is quite incredible. It seems every country now is trying out do each other with the most elaborate and sophisticated designs possible.

It's interesting that the US -- the home of the skyscraper -- doesn't really have anything to rival such designs.

It has some similarity to 'The Pinnacle' that has just started construction in London.
All this spiraling nonsense just seems really overblown and gaudy to me. Most construction in the U.S. has halted because real estate isn't a good investment. Even new buildings that do go up, like the Trump Tower in Chicago, can sometimes screw the builders over and not pay up once the building is complete. Trump Tower did turn out pretty well though, it fits into an established skyline without being overbearing or flashy.
inside-this-four-star.jpg

Tabris

The only thing about building in Seoul is there is a good chance that those buildings will be destroyed eventually as eventually the Korea situation will need to resolve one way or another.

Is office space required in such large magnitudes these days? With telepresence, mobility, home-based employees, and whatnot.

Shanadeus

Banned
Speaking of Dubai:

I wonder what business would like to operate in Dubai when an innocuous office romance might result in jail time and lashings for the offending partners.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Tabris said:
The only thing about building in Seoul is there is a good chance that those buildings will be destroyed eventually as eventually the Korea situation will need to resolve one way or another.
You got something to back that up or just spouting bullshit?

leadbelly

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
The Chicago spire was going to be so kick-ass...

And that was cancelled?

Dance In My Blood said:
All this spiraling nonsense just seems really overblown and gaudy to me. Most construction in the U.S. has halted because real estate isn't a good investment. Even new buildings that do go up, like the Trump Tower in Chicago, can sometimes screw the builders over and not pay up once the building is complete. Trump Tower did turn out pretty well though, it fits into an established skyline without being overbearing or flashy.
inside-this-four-star.jpg

I agree that something too flashy could stick out like a sore thumb in some US cities. In New York in particular.

I quite like all these interesting designs though. It just means that every corner you look there is something completely different to see.

Bentendo

leadbelly said:

It has some similarity to 'The Pinnacle' that has just started construction in London.

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/images/pics/2839ThePinnacle_pic1.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

While not as beautiful as the Korean building, the new World Trade Center complex is going to be pretty awesome:

[IMG]http://www.barnorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/011.jpg

And here's the Twin Tower memorial currently being built:

911memorial.jpg

leadbelly

Banned
Bentendo said:
While not as beautiful as the Korean building, the new World Trade Center complex is going to be pretty awesome:

011.jpg

911memorial.jpg

Yeah. I'm aware these are currently being built. They're deliberately understated so they fit in with the Manhattan skyline. It's funny that, two of the designers are known more for their bold and daring designs.

Rogers:
5420_0002_1_w.jpg

Foster:
gherkin1.jpg

Angry Fork

Lazlo Woodbine said:
Call me when we got this:

MBLo8.jpg

I want something like this so bad. Japan has parts that definitely resemble it on ground level but a city in the sky is something I hope we can figure out one day.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Lonely1 said:
Construction began Tuesday on the Yongsan Landmark Tower, which is expected to be the most expensive building in the world once it is completed, standing 100 stories tall and rising half a kilometer into the sky.

Scheduled to be built inside the international business district in Yongsan, the tower will not quite measure up to the Burj Khalifa in Dubai (162 stories, 828 m) or the Lotte Super Tower being built in Jamsil (123 stories, 555 m), but it will be the most expensive building per square unit.

At present, each 3.3 sq.m costs around W12.1 million (US$1=W1,167). The total construction cost is W1.4 trillion and the entire price tag for the building, including the land, stands at more than W4 trillion.

It will house the offices of global businesses and will offer a wide range of high-tech functions. First of all, the skyscraper will be equipped with the fastest elevators in the world that travel at 800 meters per second, more than six times faster than the lifts installed in high-rise condominiums in Korea (120 m/s).

2011101300696_0.jpg

Source.
800m/s, whoot!?

Ermmmmmmmmm

Gregorn

I approve of this and the groundscraper. Doing really expensive and impractical things just because it's cool is what humans do best and we need more of it.

leadbelly

Banned
Spiffy_1st said:
I approve of this and the groundscraper. Doing really expensive and impractical things just because it's cool is what humans do best and we need more of it.

Yeah that's what I feel about it. A lot of the buildings being made now look almost like sculptures than buildings.

Edit: I do wonder if you're being sarcastic actually. Maybe lol

ajf009

leadbelly said:

It has some similarity to 'The Pinnacle' that has just started construction in London

We're not trying to compensate for anything anymore

leadbelly

Banned
ajf009 said:
We're not trying to compensate for anything anymore

Well, I was thinking about it more in terms of the history of such buildings. America has been doing them longer than anyone else, yet I haven't seen anything in recent years that's impressed me.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
leadbelly said:
Well, I was thinking about it more in terms of the history of such buildings. America has been doing them longer than anyone else, yet I haven't seen anything in recent years that's impressed me.

American skyscrappers are incredibly boring.

I really dig this new trend of making these buildings look more like sculptures than regular buildings. Somehow, it feels like the future.

leadbelly

Banned
Bitmap Frogs said:
American skyscrappers are incredibly boring.

I really dig this new trend of making these buildings look more like sculptures than regular buildings. Somehow, it feels like the future.

Exactly.

Take look at this for design. The Dubai Towers
837_2_1000%20TVSA%20The%20Lagoons%20Day.jpg

JGS

Banned
About the elevator speed...I was thinking it was a typo, but they are comparing it to ones going pretty fast too. In other words, it's a part of the hype.

Do those elevators they are comparing it to actually exist since they are referencing them? The article implies that this elevator bullet is a true statement, but I can't fathom it as real.

Mato

And while the new rich immature waste their new-found wealth to satisfy their vanity, northern Europeans continue to invest on their well being and future prosperity.

LQX

Bentendo said:

http://www.barnorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/011.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://wandermelon.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/911memorial.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I thought the memorial would look like crap but it looks good and fucking huge. There is a vastness to it I did not expect. Will be interesting to see how it reflects on the building once complete.

leadbelly

Banned
Mato said:
And while the new rich immature waste their new-found wealth to satisfy their vanity, northern Europeans continue to invest on their well being and future prosperity.

That's true maybe of Dubai, but a lot of these buildings are going up because of the lack of real estate. They'll be shops, restaurants, apartments, offices, etc, in these buildings. It's not like they're there just to show off.

KHarvey16

JGS said:
About the elevator speed...I was thinking it was a typo, but they are comparing it to ones going pretty fast too. In other words, it's a part of the hype.

Do those elevators they are comparing it to actually exist since they are referencing them? The article implies that this elevator bullet is a true statement, but I can't fathom it as real.

Fastest elevator that's planned to be built travels at 18 meters per second, which is only slightly faster than the current record holder in actual use.

Rapstah

If you're looking at price per volume, a couple of ancient buildings like some pyramids would probably have been more expensive than anything we could ever actually build today. Pretty hard to compare, with slave labour partially going back to what they did before afterwards (does that money count?) and no actual cash paid to anyone, but still.

Looks very cool. The 800 m/s has to be a typo though right? I wish America would get back to building insane buildings. The Freedom tower looks great but it would be awesome for the U.S. to take back the worlds tallest building title.

PaleFolklore said:
Looks very cool. The 800 m/s has to be a typo though right? I wish America would get back to building insane buildings. The Freedom tower looks great but it would be awesome for the U.S. to take back the worlds tallest building title.

Yeah, it's already been fixed in the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom