• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 7 - Classic Romp on the SNES

RK128

mmbox7.jpg

Prior Retrospectives:
Mega Man - Platforms: NES, Nintendo Wii, PS1, PSN (US/JP), Legacy Collection, Anniversary Collection
Mega Man 2 & 3 - Platforms: NES, Nintendo Wii, PS1, PSN (US/JP), Legacy Collection, Anniversary Collection
Mega Man 4 - Platforms: NES, Nintendo Wii, PS1, PSN (US/JP), Legacy Collection, Anniversary Collection
Mega Man 5 - Platforms: NES, Nintendo Wii, PS1, PSN (JP), Legacy Collection, Anniversary Collection
Mega Man 6 - Platforms: NES, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, PS1/PSN (JP), Legacy Collection, Anniversary Collection

This game in the Mega Man Classic Series continues our Mega Man Retrospective! We jump to the Super Nintendo this time out and join Rock on an adventure celebrating the series. More expansive levels, tons to see and collect, 8 more robot masters to take out and a new face called Bass (no, not a fish, Bass like the musical term). This was one of my earlier attempts to play the Classic series after Mega Man 2 and I enjoyed my time revisiting this one.

Development History:
Mega Man's big jump on the SNES should have gotten a lot of attention....but it already did get that; Mega Man X came out around the time Mega Man 7 released. So, this pushed Capcom to get the Classic Series game to come out faster then expected, with the Mega Man team completing Mega Man 7 in just three-four months. For such a short development time frame, they had some regrets about the finished product.

But they pushed through and the game came out in 1994. Some other information about the games development includes the following found on the games Wikipedia page:

"One of the development team's goals was to add locations where the Master Weapons can be used to interact with the environments of many stages. In addition, Inafune wanted to include a hidden boss battle mode and recommended the idea to Tsuda, who discussed the matter privately with the game's playtester. Just one week before the game went beta, the team decided to include this mode on the conditions that Mega Man and Bass be the only playable characters and that it would have no bugs. It was completed and included within two days. However, Capcom only made this mode accessible via a secret password. The team also intentionally made the game's final boss "insanely hard" and "something that cannot be defeated without the use of an Energy Tank". The beta for the original Japanese and overseas versions of Mega Man 7 occurred simultaneously. The translated localization's of the game contain less dialogue than their Japanese equivalent. When Mega Man gains a new weapon in the North American version, he speaks with Dr. Light; in the Japanese version, Mega Man may exchange banter with Roll or Auto as well as Dr. Light."

You can see the intention of having more interactive levels come through many times throughout the game, as your various robot master weapons have impact on the levels. One example is the fire weapon you get, as it can burn down trees and grass in another level.

Story:
Rock is riding in buggy with Roll and new character Auto, exploring the city to find the source of the most recent trouble. As they ride around town all the while four robot masters Wily built in case he was captured, released. They head to break out Dr. Wily and Rock sees Dr. Light on the floor, exhausted. He runs to help but its too late; Wily is free and Rock runs after him. Before he can catch up, he meets a robot named Bass and his robotic dog Treble. They fight each other, but Bass stops, acting friendly and telling Rock he is trying to take out Wily too.

Rock warps back to Light’s lab and he then sets out for the other robot masters. After taking them out, he heads to the Robot Museum and four more Robot Masters are released. Rock takes them out and runs into Bass, injured. Rock tells him to warp to Dr. Light’s lab to recover but when Rock comes back, he learns the truth; Bass is a creation of Dr. Wily and tricked Rock the entire time.

Code:
[IMG]https://nintendookie.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/bass-and-treble.jpg[/IMG]

This doesn’t bother Rock and he yet again goes to Wily’s Fortress to take out the evil man. After a smooth time getting through the tower, he fights a very hard Wily Machine 7 and after taking him out, Wily begs for forgiveness.

But this where things get interesting; Rock starts charging up his Mega Buster and is ready to take him out for good. Yes, outright KILL Wily. He tells Rock robots can’t kill their master and he stops in the JP version of the game. But for the EU and US version? He just says “I am more than a Robot” but the tower begins to fall apart and Wily escapes.

This story was interesting and it was nice seeing Mega Man X elements be introduced into the game story wise; a rival that Rock has being a central part of the gameplay, an intro stage and other such factors.

Gameplay:
This is what you expect after Mega Man 6; taking everything the series did up to this point and offering a heavily polished version of it. Mega Man can slide, charge his buster, shoot through walls and use Rush via Coil, Jet, and new ability Rush Search. He even has the returning Rush Adaptor Armors from Mega Man 6, this time being combined into one thing (the rocket punch and extra jump).

MM7_Cloud_Man_1.png

What makes Mega Man 7 different is how the visual upgrade and more power the SNES provides gives the developers room for very expansive levels and some fun little things to play around with. One major point is how exploration is heavily pushed this time out, with Mega Man having a ton of upgrades to collect.

RM7MenuFinal.png

You have four R-U-S-H letters to collect before you can use the Adaptor parts, a secret boss fight in Shade Man’s stage to fight Protoman and get his shield, upgrades to give homing properties to the rocket punch, and more; this gives levels the ability to expect more exploration out of Rock and thus, great levels are provided.

tumblr_mgbm0e2w2w1s2qcmto1_500.png

Cloud Man and Shade Man are personal favorites but Junk Man and Freeze Man are also fun to run through. The boss fights though are a bit of a down grade, as if you use the weaknesses, they have long stun periods, making using the weaknesses being the ‘win button’ for many encounters.

They are fun to fight with the mega buster though still. Some little things I enjoyed about the game is that some foes have two weak point and if you kill them at that spot, you can access a different part of the stage as you can do in Shade Man’s stage and the fact your rival with Bass matches Mega Man with core abilities (even having the ability to use a Treble Adaptor) makes his fight later in the game very fun.

mmac_f.jpg

The last part to cover is the robot master items and they are cool. You have the junk shield which can be very useful, a good melee attack with the Slash Claw and Spring Man's weapon is a good multi-directional attack. They can be used to interact with the stages more, as you can use the fire attack to burn leaves for example.

Second Thoughts:
Before going to the Wily Tower, Edson shares some more in-depth thoughts and information about the game. Thank you man for all this information!

"Megaman 7 came out in 1995 after Megaman X2. Bass doesn't act firendly if you lose to him in the Intro stage, only if you damage him enough does he praise you otherwise he thinks your weak.

Specifically Shade Mans stage is where you find Bass injured. He not only destroys lights lap but takes the original Adapter parts. Wily also breaks into the robot museum to steal a gutsman model to use remake as a boss in his castle later on. Before you can fight Protoman you have to find the two other locations where he gives you hints. Then you fight him and get his shield, which only works when standing still. Also only works when the shield is in front.

X doesn't really have a rival. Unless you mean Zero, which isn't really the same thing as Bass. One thing you skimmed over is that they brought the shops from Megaman IV and V(not 4 and 5) which allowed you to purchases items and powerups, like beat, and enhancements. Of course, there are more, but you have to find Auto's missing super bolt to get him working. Not only do you get more stuff, but you don't have to wait as long for the item to finish.

You mention interactivity with the environment but didn't expand. Some examples include using Freeze mans weapon in Junk mans stage to freeze the lava, or whatever it is, or freezing the fire canons in Turbo mans stage. Turbo Mans weapon can burn down trees in the forest, Cloud mans weapon can power up machinery, etc. Along with the RUSH adapter finding the 4 letter to activate it, you also have a few other Rush power ups like coil again, and search, which is used to find secret parts.

You can also charge a "few" weapons in this game.
One nice feature they brought back from V and X, is that you can go to other levels during like say stage 2 of wily castle, then go back and still be at stage 2 and not start over. Also the second time you fight Bass, he used the other adapter."

Wily Tower Stages:
Will just say this; they are fine and with the ability to buy E-Tanks and W-Tanks from the newly added shop feature in the game (where you can buy things, including items you collect across the game, using bolts you get from killing foes/exploring), it isn’t bad at all going through the stages.

Ah-CJ.jpg

But he fight with Wily needs to be noted; his Wily Machine encounter is one of the hardest fights in Mega Man due to his weakness not hitting him fast enough and hitting hard. Thanks to the shop, it is very easy to stock pile on E-Tanks and W-Tanks thankfully.

Presentation:
The game looks great on the SNES, with bright colors and great sprite work across the board. Each level has a lot of life imbedded in them, just like in the NES titles. The music of the game is solid too, with a number of enjoyable tracks that are quite catchy.

Intro Stage - Freeze Man - Junk Man - Shade Man - Wily Tower 3

One last thing about the music is two clever tracks; one being a Ghost and Goblins remix for Shade Man's stage and another being the Robot Museum. The former is a fantastic remix for the first level in that iconic series while the later is a fun remix of various Mega Man tracks across the series.

Overall:
I enjoyed my time with this one, as it does a lot right. MM7 feels like a celebration of the Mega Man Classic series as a whole, with so much from past titles coming back and being refreshed in some clever new ways. Overall, I had a great time going back to this SNES classic and recommend you play it if you have the chance. It can be bought on the Wii U E-Shop and likely will be on New 3DS in the distant future. It can also be found in the Anniversary Collection on the GameCube, PS2 and Xbox.

Next up on the Mega Man Retrospective is the 8th Classic game in the series; Mega Man 8. This brings the series to the PS1 Era and after a number of MMX titles releasing at this point, does those games influence MM8? Or is it like MM7 and a celebration of the series as a whole? Let’s find out soon.

latest

Tizoc

Put some of those big images in quote tags please.

The JP ver. had subtitles for the Robot Masters after you choose their stage.
Unless i AM confusing with Rockman 8 :V

RK128

Always had fun with this one. Rented it so much as a ween. Seems to be hated a lot and I'm not too sure why?

Likely due to it 'feeling' different compared to the NES games. I felt that to when going back to MM7 but I really enjoyed my time with it.

For the images, not sure how to make them smaller so will remove a few of the bigger ones.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've never been a fan of MM7. I don't like how the controls feel and I don't like the aesthetics. I felt like 8 and Rockman & Forte did a much better job of accomplishing what this game wanted to.

Blues1990

I honestly didn't know that Mega Man/Rock could also talk to Roll & Auto in conjunction with Dr. Light in the Japanese version, which is pretty cool.

And I feel indifferent towards Mega Man 7, but I definitely love the illustrations that were included with the manual, as you don't get to see what the world of the Classic Mega Man games look like, with a few exceptions. (At least until the now sadly cancelled Archie Comics adaptation, which had fleshed out that world a bit.)

Yeah, the Wily fight in this one is considerably harder than it is in every other game in the series. It's just form after form after form.

Also, Protoman's shield is pretty much completely useless. It's a HUGE step down from Mega Man X's Hadoken.

SoulUnison

Banned
I really can't stand Mega Man 7.

Everything's been blown up to 16-bit sprites, and I guess it's a good looking game, but it loses all of the speed and precision that the NES games had. Megaman feels slow, clunky, floaty, and is just generally unsatisfying to control.

Dodging and platforming also take a hit, as the characters and sprites in general take up so much more of the screen than they did in 8-bit. It's actually quite a similar issue that the GB Mega Mans have.

RK128

I honestly didn't know that Mega Man/Rock could also talk to Roll & Auto in conjunction with Dr. Light in the Japanese version, which is pretty cool.

And I feel indifferent towards Mega Man 7, but I definitely love the illustrations that were included with the manual, as you don't get to see what the world of the Classic Mega Man games look like, with a few exceptions. (At least until the now sadly cancelled Archie Comics adaptation, which had fleshed out that world a bit.)

I know I messed up that name somewhere! Thank you for the heads up man :D!

I didn't know about the JP version differences either; cool to learn :).

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I like Mega Man 7. I really do. It has a very good OST overall, the level gimmicks are all damn fun. I still have a soft spot for Burst Man's soapy water, or Shade Man's Castlevania feel. The game's biggest problem...the physics. The Blue Bomber himself is too big on the screen and everything feels cramped. It's why I still prefer the original MM franchise over X. It's that feel that I enjoy. MM7 is the Super Punch-Out of MM. A very fun game, but in the attempt to sixteen bit-ize the gameplay, they fucked up a lot of the tone and feel.

Still it's a gorgeous game in visuals and sound. Crap final boss though. I still replay it regularly as part of the group.

I don't have much positives to say about MM8 and MM&B. Still can't wait for the retrospective posts on them though. Especially MM8 which is...a good PSX platformer. Thankfully MM9 and MM10 are masterpieces. Now I really can't wait for THOSE retrospectives.

vala

This game was the last produced by Tokuro Fujiwara, the creator of G&G and producer of all MM games since 1988...

Peltz

OP, you know I love your threads. They are such a treat and I try to read every single one of them.

With that said... that stretched screenshot in the OP is totally unacceptable. Yikes dude. This game deserves better and I beseech you to update the OP with a nicer screenshot.

RK128

OP, you know I love your threads. They are such a treat and I try to read every single one of them.

With that said... that stretched screenshot in the OP is totally unacceptable. Yikes dude. This game deserves better.

I removed that I thought......will check and if its still there; will remove it.

aadiboy

I don't know why all the classic fans hate this game. It's got good graphics, good gameplay, good bosses...what else would you want from a Mega Man game? It's definitely in the top 3 or 4 of the classic series.

Peltz

I removed that I thought......will check and if its still there; will remove it.

Thanks. And good work sir.

I agree about the physics and art change giving the game a whole different feel. But none of you found that it was easy to warm up to?

I enjoy this game. I dropped over 100 bucks on the cart over a year ago and felt like it was well spent. But the 8-bit games are my favorite Meagan games for the reasons others listed. The smaller sprites make for better gameplay. That's also why I prefer the originals over the MMX series.

vala

I don't know why all the classic fans hate this game. It's got good graphics, good gameplay, good bosses...what else would you want from a Mega Man game? It's definitely in the top 3 or 4 of the classic series.

They just can't accept something different. This game is better than 4~6!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
They just can't accept something different. This game is better than 4~6!

Oh lord no. And I like MM7. But 5 and 6 are some of the best Mega Man games in existence. And they are 100% classic, old school Mega Man perfection. The right physics for projectiles, jumps and platforming. 4...I disagree, but...I won't die on MM4's hill so to speak.

MegaMan 7 has the unfortunate downfall of having come out after multiple X games. I say this because the game inevitably feels slower and less exciting because of its fundamental differences to X, but if you're willing to look past that it's a great game.

Really feels like the evolution of the classic series. I als love the design of both Bass and Treble.

Laws00

its an ok game at the time. i mean i have so many mega collections and what not i'd be willing to sell my snes cart as well as Mega Man X3 cart for a decent price

I want to play this properly sometime. I've only tried it on my emulator and the screen was juddering. I've heard the final boss is hard, but at least it sounds like you can buy E-tanks.

leroidys

I really can't stand Mega Man 7.

Everything's been blown up to 16-bit sprites, and I guess it's a good looking game, but it loses all of the speed and precision that the NES games had. Megaman feels slow, clunky, floaty, and is just generally unsatisfying to control.

Dodging and platforming also take a hit, as the characters and sprites in general take up so much more of the screen than they did in 8-bit. It's actually quite a similar issue that the GB Mega Mans have.

Yeah... MM7 is one of those games that I really want to love, but I just can't bring myself to do it. It looks great, there's some great music, the boss designs are good, there's a freaking GnG stage... But the game just plays like crap and the level design is not at all inspired. The ridiculous difficulty do spike in the last couple boss fights is just the icing on the cake.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
This is as good a place to repost this, but I'm not crazy aren't I? MM5 and MM7's stage select songs are the same. People argued the fuck out of this with me back when MM7 released. But I know I'm right. I always knew!

MM5 Stage Select
MM7 Stage Select

Shit the first Youtube comment on MM5's theme NAILS it. Bless that person

Played through the game for the first time recently and really enjoyed everything but the final boss fight.

fuck that fight.

lazygecko

I swear there's some annoying extra delay in place for the charging mechanic in this game. I agree completely about it just feeling clunky overall. Not a big fan of the artstyle either. I think the sprites got a tad too large in relation to the screen size. Would have prefered something closer to how Wily Wars looked which preserves the classic visual style while expanding on it.

Thank god for the NES demake

Justified

Likely due to it 'feeling' different compared to the NES games. I felt that to when going back to MM7 but I really enjoyed my time with it.

For the images, not sure how to make them smaller so will remove a few of the bigger ones.

Just put the quote tag outside of the img tag

jnWake

I love MM7. Stages are fun, boss designs are cool.

I agree though that the size of the sprites is weird. I guess they wanted to showcase how much more detail you could put in the SNES but they went way overboard.

Music is incredible. Probably not a common opinion but it has the best OST of the classic MM titles IMO.

This is the only one of the classic Megaman games that I didn't really like.

Rockman & Forte does what this game sets out to do, and does it a lot better, IMO.

TreIII

MM7 was...different. But I still liked this game, overall. It had so many nice touches and hidden features, that it was fun discovering them all.

Even so, I do definitely agree that the "feel" of the game was off. For one, MM's sprite commanded too much screen area, which is surprising considering you never got that feeling from X's sprite in the X games.

Bilollipop

This was my favourite MM game as a kid. I remember always struggling in a lot of stages (I'm looking at you Turboman Stage), but the first time I made it through Slashman's boss fight without taking a hit will forever be one of the most satisfying moments for me.

Altazor

I really really like this game. It was one of my first MM games, to be honest, and I think I begged my parents to buy it pretty much just on a whim. I think I liked the boxart and that was it.

I know the artstyle (or, more specifically - the size of the sprites) is a debated issue, but I like how vibrant and detailed everything looks. The use of color is astounding. And while, yeah, things could've been a bit smaller, I think it manages to translate quite well the overall style from 8 bits to 16 bits.

As for the music, I love a lot of the songs - though I think most people's actual gripe with the soundtrack isn't about the compositions themselves, but rather the soundfont used. For example, in 8-bit style, Junk Man's theme, Burst Man's theme, Slash Man's theme, Shade Man's (normal) theme, Cloud Man's theme (though this one is in a VRC6 style), hell - even an 8-bit version of Robot Museum sounds better IMHO than the one in-game.
About the music itself, I gotta say that Wily Stage 1 is definitely one of my favorites of the entire saga, and somehow has a very similar vibe to Sigma Stage 1 from Megaman X - sombre but not overly dark, a sense of finality and a small anthemic moment that doesn't last (compared to, let's say, the über famous Wily Stage 1 from MM2). It's much more subdued than previous Wily Stage themes, and that's why it's so good IMHO. Also, I dunno why I've always thought Cloud Man's theme has a passing resemblance to The Moon from Ducktales - must be the arpeggios.

Closing statement - fuck Wily's saucer. I must've tried almost like a hundred times before finally defeating the bastard. Goddamn that was hard.

Love this game. I believe the dev team included people who now work at Inti Creates, including one of the music composers (Ippo Yamada).

The game certainly has a different feel compared to the NES games and I'd say it plays just as good. I never thought the big sprites to be a problem. I like the amount of collectibles and upgrades. The levels are fun to traverse and the soundtrack is excellent.

My only gripe is how short the invulnerability time is after getting hit, which can really get you destroyed against a boss really quickly. Other than that, one of the best classic series games for me.

Syril

I never had an issue with the size of the sprites, but that might be because I started out playing the ones on the Game Boy, which the larger sprites resemble more.

Veal

Absolutely loved this game! Probably my personal favorite in the series. Wily stage 1 and 2 are godlike musical themes.

SkyOdin

I really like Mega Man 7. It's sprites and visual design are great. I think 7's Mega Man has the most personality of any of his sprites. I also really like some of the crazy results you can get from using the wrong weapons against bosses. The stages are pretty fun and creative too.

I will admit that the game is kinda sluggish though. Also, the final boss is one hell of a challenge, but that just makes him that much more satisfying to beat.

cireza

After playing the NES games, and also liking a lot Wily Wars on Genesis, I really could not enjoy this SNES game. I don't know why exactly, it really did not click for me.

Top Bottom