• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Zero 1-3 (GBA)

I'm thinking about getting these games, but I' still not sure so I thought to ask for some opinions here.
I'm kinda hyped for Zero games after playing MMX CM, but I hven't played a Megaman game (except CM) for years.

- Is it important to know the storyline from MMX 1-5/6?

- Do I need to get all 3 games to grasp the whole story? (MMZ 1 is kinda hard to find)

- I read that MMZ 1 is kind of hard and sometimes frustrating. Are these comments from weaksauce gamers, or is it true? Are MMZ 2+3 easier or harder than MMZ 1?

And finally: Does anybody know a store where I don't have to pay >25 € for MMZ 2 (and maybe 1 too), which ships to Europe and has it in stock?

Thanks in advance

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I find Mega Man Zero 1 to be hard because of the GBASP itself. I bet that if I was playing this on a real console with a controller, I would have no problems with it. It is a bit difficult but nothing impossible

Don't know about the story lines though. I only played the first one and never finished it. I'd like to play the other games though

belgurdo

Banned
It's not the enemies that are hard in MMZ; it's the fact that the level design is made to screw you and that Zero takes damage like a baby unless you forefeit your stage grade anduse elves (although the rewards for playing a no-elf game is meager at best.)

nubbe

You don’t need to know the story from X series to know what’s going on in Zero, there are some weak references.

Zero is isn’t hard at all… not compared to Zero 2

Dujour

Banned
Good luck finding Zero 2 unused. I found 3 on sale and bought it, but haven't played it much because I haven't played 2. :|

BuddyC

GermanOfficer said:
I'm thinking about getting these games, but I' still not sure so I thought to ask for some opinions here.
I'm kinda hyped for Zero games after playing MMX CM, but I hven't played a Megaman game (except CM) for years.

- Is it important to know the storyline from MMX 1-5/6?

- Do I need to get all 3 games to grasp the whole story? (MMZ 1 is kinda hard to find)

- I read that MMZ 1 is kind of hard and sometimes frustrating. Are these comments from weaksauce gamers, or is it true? Are MMZ 2+3 easier or harder than MMZ 1?

And finally: Does anybody know a store where I don't have to pay >25 € for MMZ 2 (and maybe 1 too), which ships to Europe and has it in stock?

Thanks in advance

1) If you know who Zero and X are, and how they relate, that's pretty much all you need to know.

2) 2 leads directly into 3. While 1 setup 2, you'll be able to grasp what's going on if you don't play through it. 3 also includes a nice little "This is what's happened thus far" thing in the beginning.

3) I think 2 was harder than 1. I haven't had the time to invest in 3 yet, but it looks to be easier now that you can equip elves instead of just using them. Both games start out hard and get easier, especially once you find the subtanks in 2.

Don't get me wrong, the MMZ series is hard. But it's not cheap - when you die, it's your fault. When you finally blaze through a stage without taking a hit and just destroy the boss, it's a great feeling. They rely on skill and reflexes, something that takes time and practice to build.

I also love that 2 and 3 don't bullshit about with recollecting the old weapons and just give you the entire arsenal straight off.

Tsubaki

I only played MMZ.

1) The game brings back old-school gaming memories where you will die and will die often until you learn patterns. This is mostly the case with every boss you meat.

2) The story is garbage and I wish Capcom would remove story entirely. It totally messes up the flow of the game because the text is unskippable, and it's not even worth reading. (I hear text is skippable in MMZ2 so it's been fixed.)

3) The Cyber elves need to go. I really wish they were not part of the game.

If you don't play with the cyber elves, the game can be pretty hard. But not unreasonably so. As I said, without them, the game forces you to learn patterns. Once you learn them, then you're fine. I love this style of gaming.

I have to say that i'm pretty good with platformers .. etc. But I found the difficulty in the MMZ series on the GBA to be so high that I wanted to chuck my SP across the room. Also didn't like the cyber-elves concept one bit.

Dyne

My friend says getting S-rank on every mission in Zero 3 is absolutely impossible! Sounds like fun.

Brannon

I've S-ranked 1 and 2, and am currently trying to power my way through 3. The MMZ series are like pocket crack to me. One of the few games I don't mind playing on the handheld since I always want to see what's next or if I can do better. Most everything else gets chucked in the GBPlayer.

MMZ rawks the hawk.

Just played through 2 and 3 and have been replaying the Xs since

Mega Man Zero is the culmination of much of the story of X (possibly, although that is debatable)

all three games start out challenging and get easier, especially if you use the elves, which makes them MUCH easier than most of the Mega Man X games. They are all very hard before you have the elemental chips and are able to charge your sword. The first few bosses are usually pretty tough for this reason.

1 has very hard level design, but levels may be skipped and you only get one small bonus for not using the cyber elves. The hardest parts are timed levels.

2 gives you special abilities for getting a high score in levels, which means that it is challenging if you want those skills, but the cyber elves are stronger than 1's, so it can also be an easier game.

3 is easier overall than the others despite some challenging levels because the grading is much easier on each level. Youcan get an A and obtain a new skill almost any time that you do not use elves and do not die on a level, as opposed to absolutely mastering it. You also get some elves that you can use temporarily without affecting your grade. Finally, you get several body parts that make you even more powerful.

Zero 1 took me a very long time. Zero 2 I started and then gave up on because it was too hard. After beating level 2 months later, I blew through the game in days. Zero 3, I decided to get all the skills because it was much easier to do so than before, so it took me some time to get an A on each level, but the feeling I got for each A was awesome.

You really should play through them all, but you must play 2 and 3 if at all. 3 also has many references to 1, so you should play 1 as well for full impact. Having played the X's will add the impact too, but you do not need to fully know their story, even though it is an extension of X4 and X5.

Top Bottom