• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaton: US senator introduces 'CECIL' Act to curb trophy hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.

orochi91

Senate Democrat Robert Menendez's bill would expand the import-export restrictions of the 1973 Endangered Species Act to include animals that are not just listed as endangered or threatened, but those that are "proposed to be listed" as such.
The two-page Conserving Ecosystems by Ceasing the Importation of Large (CECIL) Animal Trophies Act is named after a lion killed by a US dentist in a hunt that triggered global anger.
Cecil was considered an iconic attraction for tourists at Zimbabwe's Hwange National Park. The hunter, Walter Palmer, used a bow and arrow to shoot Cecil, who was tracked for a second day before being shot dead.
The US Fish and Wildlife Service, which maintains the US endangered species list, last October proposed to list the African lion as threatened due to habitat loss and increased human-lion conflicts.
"Cecil's death was a preventable tragedy that highlights the need to extend the protections of the Endangered Species Act. When we have enough concern about the future of a species to propose it for listing, we should not be killing it for sport."
It is unclear whether Republican lawmakers -- who often describe themselves as hunters and support gun rights for hunters -- will back the bill.
Link: http://news.yahoo.com/us-senator-introduces-cecil-act-curb-trophy-hunting-203448015.html

This is moving really fast; social media is doing some good work on this.

What are the odds this gets support from Congress?

orochi91

I've seen people dismiss this global outrage as some sort of mob mentality and they couldn't be any more wrong.

Outrage does occasionally lead to (potential) change.

lol amazing. Bettin fellow big game hunters aren't too pleased with Palmer right now.

I imagine many of those big game hunters are wealthy and will consequently use that wealth to ensure Acts like this never get passed.

The lion was already illegally hunted.
Yeah I don't understand. If the lion was in a protected status, what would change? He already broke existing law by killing it.

Also, given this particular incident happened in a foreign country, would a bill like this have any effect moving forward? Or does it apply to only hunts on US territories?

stolin

But, but, but...
trophies.jpg

pa22word

Megaton?

Really?

yeah

I mean him proposing something like this is more for the publicity than anything, because in a republican controlled congress it's not like it even has a chance of going anywhere. Much less the last week before the break. Or like the dems would have the spine to go after the NRA anyways.

Yeah I don't understand. If the lion was in a protected status, what would change? He already broke existing law by killing it.

Also, given this particular incident happened in a foreign country, would a bill like this have any effect moving forward? Or does it apply to only hunts on US territories?

Well we can't make killing an endangered species in another country illegal, but we can make going to another country with the intention of killing an endangered species illegal. We do the same thing to curb sex tourism in other countries.

I imagine many of those big game hunters are wealthy and will consequently use that wealth to ensure Acts like this never get passed.

Assuming said hunters actually have ties to Washington. I doubt any random wealthy hunter can just show up to Congress with a briefcase of money and do much. Maybe Cheney can show up and threaten people.

pa22word

MMmmmmm reactionary legislation, always a good idea

It's a nonstarter and everyone knows it.

Dude who put it out there now has some free time in the sun, and when the bill gets quietly killed in a week or two the internet mob will have moved on and no one will care anymore anyways.

Dryk

It's currently legal to bring hunted lion parts back into the US, if it becomes illegal maybe less people will do it.

Not supporting the asshole hunter, but this sounds like a popularity grab cashing in on the latest controversy rather than a concerted effort to curtail this kind of behavior.

It's currently legal to bring hunted lion parts back into the US, if it becomes illegal maybe less people will do it.
Lions specifically or anything not on a protected or endangered list?

Seems a lion like Cecil actually isn't yet considered threatened or endangered?

Or can you bring back anything regardless of status? If that's the case, then yeah I see the point here.

FiggyCal

Banned
We should outlaw murder too, as long as we're going to make laws against things that are already illegal.

I don't understand. Why is it so often stressed that he was a dentist? Why does his occupation matter at all?

hirokazu

Good move, but that backronym is a bit stupid. What if they're hunting small animals that are being considered for the endangered list?

with the over population of humans, the weight of over exploitation of the land, the reduction of natural habitat all over the world....... trophy hunting has to be banned

take the black rhino for example, it is now critically endangered near extinction,

but you still have douchebags who want to kill rhino's just for their horns (weather for trophy, dagger holster or whatever)

soon, this animal will be extinct, gone from the face of the Earth, because some douchebags want to hang its head on a mantle or use it's horn as a ornament.

RELAYER

Banned
We should outlaw murder too, as long as we're going to make laws against things that are already illegal.

I don't understand. Why is it so often stressed that he was a dentist? Why does his occupation matter at all?

I think it's an old trope that dentists are sociopaths, because you'd have to be to inflict that much pain on someone.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
lol so he's been abusing his powers in office and is currently facing federal charges for it?

Good going.

Yeah, this whole thing is a total farce looking to capitalize on the way Cecil went viral in an incredibly transparent way.

Understandable for people to not know who this guy is though.

genjiZERO

It's token legislation. Nothing will happen unless Palmer is extradited.

If Cecil was 'an iconic attraction of the park' it's weird he's not mentioned on their internet page at http://www.zimparks.org/index.php/parks-overview/national/hwange . Also on that site is the official Zimbabwe price list for the parks:

(l) Special hunting permits- Dangerous game (Inc using bow & arrow, & handgun) US$1500, 00.
(m) Special hunting permits- Plain game (including using bow & arrow, & handgun)-US$100,00.

10.(1) Hunting
Live animals for sport hunting…………………………………To be sold through auction
Hunting camps………………………………………………….To be sold through auction

And the kind of strange

(p) Backpacker hunting – US$300,00.

Uhhhh it was already an illegal hunt and in Zimbabwe. This reeks of just a stunt. I doubt it will even make it anywhere where a vote is necessary.

Joni

Change it around, make it illegal to hunt at all unless for species on a pre-defined list where it is necessary for control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom