• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Melissa Joan Hart (Sabrina - Clarissa) cancels a Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

This is why Kickstarter works. If you're putting forth a garbage product, people will for the most part ignore it. A few projects become inexplicably funded, but by and large, the shit is weeded out pretty effectively.

Bladenic

While she's clearly not the movie star she wants to be, she *is* still working a regular television gig which is more than a lot of actors get. I feel bad for this Kickstarter being a massive ego burn but I don't feel especially bad for her, as she's still working and is a multi-millionaire.

Is she? Then she can fund this movie herself.

Christopher

Good.

I didn't want this to start a trend where washed up actors try to get funding for their shitty pet projects.

Veronica mars had a huuuuge following the show not the actress...

I bet Buffy or angel can get a movie but not a shitty Melissa Joan heart movie

Good.

I didn't want this to start a trend where washed up actors try to get funding for their shitty pet projects.

Yep.

I'm not even that big of a fan of Veronica Mars, but I contributed with $185

Drakeon

Good.

I'd totally kickstart a buffy or angel movie.

ArjanN

While she's clearly not the movie star she wants to be, she *is* still working a regular television gig which is more than a lot of actors get. I feel bad for this Kickstarter being a massive ego burn but I don't feel especially bad for her, as she's still working and is a multi-millionaire.

Usually when has-been stars do this sort of thing it's because they wasted all their money.

Why would you feel bad? She thinks she's too damn good to follow someone on Twitter for $100. Maybe she needs this reality check.

The fact that they emphasised she would not be amongst those following you back on Twitter despite donating $100 stood out for me. Who does she think she is? Jason David Frank?

element

Is she? Then she can fund this movie herself.
Yes. Her mom was the producer of Sabrina from episode 1. After ABC canceled it, Hart bought the rights including syndication and started producing the show. You are talking tens of millions. Pretty much everything that Hart has been in since has involved her production company Hartbreak Films. So every lame ABC Family or Lifetime movie, and currently Melissa and Joey.

Pretty much they don't want to put up the risk themselves.

Forkball

The $10,000 prize is insane. They will give you a video that you can play at your wedding? Please divorce whoever thinks this is a good idea.

Yes. Her mom was the producer of Sabrina from episode 1. After ABC canceled it, Hart bought the rights including syndication and started producing the show. You are talking tens of millions. Pretty much everything that Hart has been in since has involved her production company Hartbreak Films. So every lame ABC Family or Lifetime movie, and currently Melissa and Joey.

Christ, I didn't realize she owns the syndication rights to Sabrina.

She really is rich, then. Even shitty, modestly popular shows make bank in syndication.

I didn't know this actually. I've lost even more respect for this woman.

tmarques

There's an evil part of me who kind of wants a studio to buy the script, give the part to a relevant actress and turn it into a hit movie.

Lijik

In one of the reward tiers (the $6,500 one I think) they say they'll give you premiere tickets but you have to deal with everything else like the travel yourself. Thats a lot of money to spend to reward myself with... spending more money, planning flights and booking hotels

EDIT- Just saw the update video "We're adding new rewards like Totebags"
OH SHIT!!! Finally the reward ive been waiting for!!!

seldead

In one of the reward tiers (the $6,500 one I think) they say they'll give you premiere tickets but you have to deal with everything else like the travel yourself. Thats a lot of money to spend to reward myself with... spending more money, planning flights and booking hotels

EDIT- Just saw the update video "We're adding new rewards like Totebags"
OH SHIT!!! Finally the reward ive been waiting for!!!
You're supposed to be giving them money to contribute to seeing the project happen. You're not buying a $6,500 product of them, the rewards are supposed to be an extra incentive.

dejay

Banned
You're supposed to be giving them money to contribute to seeing the project happen. You're not buying a $6,500 product of them, the rewards are supposed to be an extra incentive.

I'd put in $5 to contribute to the project not happening in this instance.

I WANT A TALKING CAT! I'd kickstart a Salem the Cynical Cat movie to the moon.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I feel bad for MJH. I hope somehow a huge Sabrina fansite somehow comes up with the 2 mil and gets this done.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
A spike movie would be the first kickstarter I'd give money to. The only other one I was interested in was the shadowgate one but I missed the deadline.

Usually when has-been stars do this sort of thing it's because they wasted all their money.

she has a show on abc family that runs all over the world. if she's not a millionaire she's doing something wrong.

probably gets enough cash from sabrina DVD sales.

Just watched her update vid and WOW ... that is a thinly veiled face of desperation and worry :[

And she looks much older in that vid 0_o

tmarques

Take a chance on a romcom?

Isn't that like.. one of the cheapest genres to film?

Well, 2 million is a ridiculously tiny budget to shoot a film.

It's kind of ironic that she whines that Hollywood won't take a chance on her when she won't pony up the money that we know she has to prove them wrong.

While I'm not supporting either, it's hilarious that Zack Braff's kickstarter has earned 10x as much as this one, and it's been up for a day.

The fact that they emphasised she would not be amongst those following you back on Twitter despite donating $100 stood out for me. Who does she think she is? Jason David Frank?

I don't even understand the appeal of any movie star following someone on Twitter. Maybe it's because I don't use Twitter but it's not like the star would care about what you're posting anyways.

Into

I don't even understand the appeal of any movie star following someone on Twitter. Maybe it's because I don't use Twitter but it's not like the star would care about what you're posting anyways.

Yeah same, since i do not use Twitter i do not understand the appeal. Maybe its a Twitter community thing, where you can brag about a washed up 90s sit com "star" following you on Twitter, or being friends with them on Facebook.

Omni

If she promised nude pics from 10 years ago to fulfil my twisted teenage fantasies, I'd consider putting some cash down. (would that make her a whore?)

What has to be a kick in the balls is Braff coming in and raising the money handily.

Looks like she commented about Braff's project on her Kickstarter page.

Melly
about 1 hour ago
Hi all, it's Melissa here. Just wanted to add to the conversation about my fan base. I know 100% that my fans are the most loyal and supportive on the globe. Whether or not this kickstarter thing works doesn't change that one way or another. Zachs project is a different beast since he has Oscar winning producers and celeb friends with 6mil twitter followers. The difference is he pulled out the big guns and Hollywood got on board. For me, it's all up to the fans and I know they wish me the best no matter what project I venture into. Thanks to everyone who has supported this and I hope you will spread the word so we can make this hilarious movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom