• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Melissa Joan Hart (Sabrina - Clarissa) cancels a Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.
That video is fucking awful. If she really wants money for this shitty vanity project, get more creative than begging people and using the same exact structure as the Veronica Mars project.

Well, at least in this you get a 20 second recording for your money :p

Veronica Mars' $500 tier:

Kristen Bell will record up to a 15 second outgoing voicemail message for you. You can decide what the message will say within the bounds of good taste. We’ll also provide a few standard greetings from which you can choose. You’ll be sent this as an mp3. You’ll also receive a signed movie poster, a Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack, a digital version of the movie, the limited-edition T-shirt and a pdf of the shooting script. Available to US and Canada backers only

Darci's whaterver's $500 tier:

Melissa Joan Hart will record up to a 20 second outgoing voicemail message for you. You can decide the content (in good taste, please). We’ll also send you a few suggested greetings to choose from. You will receive this award in the form of an mp3. You’ll also get a signed movie poster, a DVD and the PDF of the movie shooting script.

jb1234

I got a pretty big laugh from their update:

"We're really happy with everyone's response to our project! At the end of day one, we came in with a respectable $13,000. We need more. Much more. Please spread the word!"

Damn, you're talking this stuff waaaay too seriously. The $10k pledge says you'll get to say a LINE in the movie. This could literally end up being a person walking up to another person in the movie and saying some throwaway line in passing. For you to suggest this is going to seriously compromise the movie is rather amusing. They also only allow for two such pledges to be made, so that's two people saying a single line in the movie. It will be insignificant.

Wat? Dude all Im saying is if you pay $10k to say even "oh hai doggy" in a movie it better not be cut out, which is what is suggested on the Kickstarter page with the "LOLZ IF YOU CAN'T ACT GOOD THEN WE FORFEIT ON YOUR REWARD."

Haha, no. Go fuck yourself, Clarissa darling.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't think this project reflects a good look at the service and what it can accomplish.

Here's a list of projects in Film and Video that broke $500,000 (one quarter of what she's asking for):
Veronica Mars
Video Game High School Season 2 -- the second season of a show that Kickstarted its first season at $250,000 and got 40,000,000 Youtube views
Cyanide and Happiness Show

So literally no original content has broken one quarter of what she's asking for. Everything there has an in-built fan base for the work itself. She's trading off her own name, which is fine, but there's no direct fanbase for the work being proposed.

Charlie Kaufman, who is honestly a visionary, got $400,000 for his stop-motion animated film which featured appeals from other industry heavyweights.

Just, like, basic research.

inky

Sabrina the Teenage Witch was shit. Hated that show.

It was OK. I remember when I was a lot younger thinking Beth Broderick was such a milf, so that and MJH was pretty good enough reason for my teenage self to watch it. I loved Psycho Beach Party too, so that helped.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I got a pretty big laugh from their update:

"We're really happy with everyone's response to our project! At the end of day one, we came in with a respectable $13,000. We need more. Much more. Please spread the word!"

Every time I enter this thread I burst into laughter. Bless MJH.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Get your ladder ready...

936full-melissa-joan-4tplw.jpg

I've seen football players with thinner calves

3phemeral

It must burn especially bad after looking at how much the Veronica Mars Kickstarter was able to accomplish.

Plus, at least for me, Kristen Bell is infinitely more likable.

Bladenic

I don't think this project reflects a good look at the service and what it can accomplish.

Here's a list of projects in Film and Video that broke $500,000 (one quarter of what she's asking for):
Veronica Mars
Video Game High School Season 2 -- the second season of a show that Kickstarted its first season at $250,000 and got 40,000,000 Youtube views
Cyanide and Happiness Show

So literally no original content has broken one quarter of what she's asking for. Everything there has an in-built fan base for the work itself. She's trading off her own name, which is fine, but there's no direct fanbase for the work being proposed.

Charlie Kaufman, who is honestly a visionary, got $400,000 for his stop-motion animated film which featured appeals from other industry heavyweights.

Just, like, basic research.

It was inevitable that the VM KS would get more of these projects, but the level of delusion that must be permeating the creators is quite astounding.

DarkFlow

Banned
I like how all the rewards that require travel make you pay for EVERYTHING. I just gave you $8,000 and you can't even hook me up with a plane ticket? Cheap bastards.

Kickstarters for films make no sense. You're asking people for money with no return at all. I have no idea how it works in the US but in the UK we have numerous councils you can apply to for funding of your project who are explicitly set up to be "charitable" - i.e. fund artistic projects with no expectation of a return. You have to pay like 10% yourself and justify it, obviously, but does America not have arts councils?

Kickstarters for films make no sense. You're asking people for money with no return at all. I have no idea how it works in the US but in the UK we have numerous councils you can apply to for funding of your project who are explicitly set up to be "charitable" - i.e. fund artistic projects with no expectation of a return. You have to pay like 10% yourself and justify it, obviously, but does America not have arts councils?
Yes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arts_council#United_States
But they mostly give pennies, and TBW I'm ok with that. Public founding is worse than Kickstarter.

medrew

I kinda want to chuck in a $1 for shits and giggles.

Maybe then I can add it onto my resume that I was involved in preproduction efforts for a movie starring a 'prominent Hollywood actress'

iammeiam

I kind of feel bad for her, this is pretty embarrassing.

The part where the video directly calls out the VM Kickstarter is absolutely cringeworthy, because it makes it pretty clear nobody involved in the MJH Kickstarter understands why the VM one took off. I don't think Kristen Bell would have had an easy time raising 2 million for some vaguely described movie, either. VM provided a video making it clear that while they couldn't promise anybody beyond Kristen Bell and Rob Thomas, it was pretty likely a bunch of other people VM fans would want to see would be involved. The negotiation involved in getting WB to allow the project in the first place also made it feel more official and like the pele behind it had already made a time commitment to the project, and helped explain why they had the prize tiers they did.

This one is basically promising MJH, her mom, and some guy named Tibor will do something, but they couldn't even be arsed to come up with their own pledge tiers or involve anyone who might in any way actually inspire some Clarissa or Sabrina nostalgia. Imitation projects were inevitable, I'm just surprised we essentially hit the bottom of the barrel so quickly.

I think if they went a saucier and more controversial title, it'd get funding easier.

Instead of "Darci's Walk of Shame", imagine if it was called "Slut Shaming".

Now that grabs your attention even if it has nothing to do with the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom