• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

leroidys

Creeping on styleforum waywt, pretty into this look:

7b59HXp.jpg

Anyone have a lead on these pants or something similar?

I fit in Levi 511 size 33. I heard there's vanity sizing, so what is my actual pant size?

Measure your waist, though I think you'll find Levi's sizing pretty consistent with other "American" pant sizes. The trick is identifying european or asian brands and knowing to size up for those. For example, H&M and Zara are european so if you're buying pants from them you'd probably want to size up.

But yeah, measure your waist.

Measure your waist, though I think you'll find Levi's sizing pretty consistent with other "American" pant sizes. The trick is identifying european or asian brands and knowing to size up for those. For example, H&M and Zara are european so if you're buying pants from them you'd probably want to size up.

But yeah, measure your waist.

I measured my waist to a 34. Is that right?

5'7 150lbs here.

lenovox1

5'7 150lbs here.

Maybe. The next step would be to try on pants at that size and adjust up or down from there.

(Weight is a poor indicator of clothing size. I weigh 10 pounds more than you at the same height and have a 27" waist. Photos would be better, but not necessarily accurate either.)

5'7 150lbs here.

This can very quickly turn into some sort of existential discussion. What is a pant size really? Like money, it's an arbitrary construct created by man. You can only know what your measurements are and do your best with that information. Sizes vary from brand to brand, you can either try them on in person or look at the measurements provided.

So it was a bad idea to wear my Aston Grey wingtip oxfords out last night. They're not completely dirty, but I guess from the splashes and dirty floors, these black marks are all over on the sides of the shoes. Wetting my finger and rubbing the dark spots off works in some areas, but others not so much.

Would shoe cleaner work? If so, what kind would you recommend? Like any kind I can pick up at Walmart? I'm completely ignorant when it comes to shoe cleaners.

What about home remedies?

Thanks

giga

So it was a bad idea to wear my Aston Grey wingtip oxfords out last night. They're not completely dirty, but I guess from the splashes and dirty floors, these black marks are all over on the sides of the shoes. Wetting my finger and rubbing the dark spots off works in some areas, but others not so much.

Would shoe cleaner work? If so, what kind would you recommend? Like any kind I can pick up at Walmart? I'm completely ignorant when it comes to shoe cleaners.

What about home remedies?

Thanks

What's the material?

Saddle soap from cvs will work? Do you need to use conditioner and polish them? And by polish do you mean brush or rag?

Thanks I just don't want to ruin them. I'll get and post a pic.

Ok here's a pic:

Download-File

Edit-NYC father just picked up some saddle soap and cloth from Allen Edmund store. He showed the picture too and I guess they said those two should do the trick.

so my brother took my nice white sneakers that are discontinued (nike killshot 2s) hiking without telling me

there are so many question marks even the question mark meme image wouldn't be enough

he's not going anywhere nice or with anyone special why does he care what he's wearing

he has actual athletic sneakers and hiking boots with him, why would he wear bright white sneakers with no traction on a hike

why would he not ask me first

why would he think it's ok to put his smelly ass feet in to someone else's shoes

why would he squeeze himself in to my sneakers and stretch them out because he's at least a solid size bigger than I am

why why why

giga

Saddle soap from cvs will work? Do you need to use conditioner and polish them? And by polish do you mean brush or rag?

Thanks I just don't want to ruin them. I'll get and post a pic.

You absolutely need to use conditioner after using saddle soap. It will dry out without any of the moisturizing properties. You can get away without using polish but it won't have as good of a shine. I use both a rag and horsehair brush for polishing. Please read the link.

This is the best and it's only $12: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PLC60Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You absolutely need to use conditioner after using saddle soap. It will dry out without any of the moisturizing properties. You can get away without using polish but it won't have as good of a shine. I use both a rag and horsehair brush for polishing. Please read the link.

This is the best and it's only $12: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PLC60Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ok thanks. I won't take the chance. I'll buy that conditioner. What happens if it dries out? Will the leather crack?

ekimneems

Neo Member
Ok thanks. I won't take the chance. I'll buy that conditioner. What happens if it dries out? Will the leather crack?

I highly recommend using coconut oil. It's cheaper, has a lot of other uses, and does a really good job at conditioning leather. Just make sure you put it on as thin as you possibly can.

I use it on all of my shoes... Aldens, Vibergs, Allen Edmonds, OSBs, etc.

so my brother took my nice white sneakers that are discontinued (nike killshot 2s) hiking without telling me

there are so many question marks even the question mark meme image wouldn't be enough

he's not going anywhere nice or with anyone special why does he care what he's wearing

he has actual athletic sneakers and hiking boots with him, why would he wear bright white sneakers with no traction on a hike

why would he not ask me first

why would he think it's ok to put his smelly ass feet in to someone else's shoes

why would he squeeze himself in to my sneakers and stretch them out because he's at least a solid size bigger than I am

why why why

RIP your killshots

at least they're coming back this spring

I highly recommend using coconut oil. It's cheaper, has a lot of other uses, and does a really good job at conditioning leather. Just make sure you put it on as thin as you possibly can.

I use it on all of my shoes... Aldens, Vibergs, Allen Edmonds, OSBs, etc.

Hmmm. Judging by the pic I posted you think coconut oil is a good substitute? I don't want to apply it everywhere on my shoes. Just the spots like in the pic.

So I was wondering if I apply very little saddle soap just on the spots would I still need to condition them?

Thanks to you and giga

ekimneems

Neo Member
Hmmm. Judging by the pic I posted you think coconut oil is a good substitute? I don't want to apply it everywhere on my shoes. Just the spots like in the pic.

So I was wondering if I apply very little saddle soap just on the spots would I still need to condition them?

Thanks to you and giga

It's showing as a broken link for me for some reason, but really the only risk of using coconut oil is that if you use too much it may darken some spots

Either way, I've definitely had some "scares" with nice shoes - usually mud at an outdoor wedding, something like that... just clean them, condition them, and polish them. If you're really worried, take it to a local shoe guy and they will take care of it for you.

Does anyone know where I can get some nice, thick sweaters in size XS? They can be plain, Fair Isle/Faroe, cable knit.. I just want something that's warm.

the saddle should help. if not, i would put polish cream with actual pigment over it.

Would you think saddle soap only good enough for a month old shoes? And like I said I would only apply very little to spots like those around the shoes.

If I'm too paranoid I'll take it to a shoe shop. Just curious how much thru would charge since they would probably want to clean the entire shoes?

Thanks

giga

Would you think saddle soap only good enough for a month old shoes? And like I said I would only apply very little to spots like those around the shoes.

If I'm too paranoid I'll take it to a shoe shop. Just curious how much thru would charge since they would probably want to clean the entire shoes?

Thanks

No, that's why I said to condition and polish as well.

ekimneems

Neo Member
Ok sounds good. What about coconut oil as mentioned? A good alternative or I'll just buy the conditioner.

Either is fine - I only recommended coconut oil because it does just as good of a job for less money.

At the same time, your shoes don't look so bad. Honestly, stuff is gonna happen to your shoes. Just do your best to keep them cleaned, conditioned, and polished and they will develop a nice patina.

Just got a big mark on my new $700 Vibergs on day 3 of wearing them and didn't even flinch. Learned enough over the years of having nice shoes to buy stuff to wear them. Best you can do is just keep up with care.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
not a fan of the coat (looks like something the admiral of a pirate ship would wear) but everything else is ��

I am an admiral of a pirate ship.
Arr, matey!

But really I just wanted a m65 type jacket with toggles like a duffle coat and I found it so I copped, and personally I love it lol

Is Natural waist size depending on weight?

I'm a size 34, 5'7 and weigh 151lbs. I heard the maximum healthy waistline is half your height. This means that I'm at risk of heart attacks and other health problems.

I don't work out, so I have a bit of a belly.

I'm aiming to buy Outlier pants, but I'm thinking of exercising enough to get to size 32. These pants are pricey and I only bought 1 pants in my life.

acohrs

Is Natural waist size depending on weight?

I'm a size 34, 5'7 and weigh 151lbs. I heard the maximum healthy waistline is half your height. This means that I'm at risk of heart attacks and other health problems.

I don't work out, so I have a bit of a belly.

I'm aiming to buy Outlier pants, but I'm thinking of exercising enough to get to size 32. These pants are pricey and I only bought 1 pants in my life.

Not really, I'm 5'10, 230lbs and my waist size is 36/8 depending on the trousers and the fit.

acohrs

How did you measure your natural waist? My belly was relaxed and expanded. I'm not sure if I'm measuring mine right.

I measured my hip size and that's a 33.

Breathe out fully but dont suck in your waist then measure it. I had someone else hold the measuring tape and read it.

From what I understand hip is usually more than waist, sure you're a 34?

Breathe out fully but dont suck in your waist then measure it. I had someone else hold the measuring tape and read it.

From what I understand hip is usually more than waist, sure you're a 34?

I don't work out and I got a bit of a gut. 5'7 151lbs.

Where is the waist so I'll measure properly?

FStop7

Banned
Any hot tips on protecting suede shoes? I got my CP chelseas and I want to protect them from dye marks from jeans, etc.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Picked up from Ssense sale, trying out a designer I hadn't heard of before (DbyD)

Black suede, chunky Rick-esque sole, side-zip (wouldn't have bought without that placket, tbh), kind of a cleaner, fancier Blazer Advance. Fits great, quality seems strong. Will definitely check out some other stuff from this dude.

Picked up from Ssense sale, trying out a designer I hadn't heard of before (DbyD)

Black suede, chunky Rick-esque sole, side-zip (wouldn't have bought without that placket, tbh), kind of a cleaner, fancier Blazer Advance. Fits great, quality seems strong. Will definitely check out some other stuff from this dude.

Reminds me of Rick Owens scuba socks.

shas'la

Hey Guys, I'm seeking some shopping advice from Japan-Fashion-GAF!

I normally enjoy browsing Rag-Tag, Kindal, Rinkan etc. ( designer-eque thrift stores), was wondering if anyone on this thread has other experiences shopping in the big cities they would care to share?

Ok so I've come to the realization that I prefer my jeans slim and skinny, is it safe to just dump all my shitty old cuts in the donation bin? I need an excuse to go outside in zero degree weather, and of course, to make more shelf room I guess

Ok so I've come to the realization that I prefer my jeans slim and skinny, is it safe to just dump all my shitty old cuts in the donation bin? I need an excuse to go outside in zero degree weather, and of course, to make more shelf room I guess
I don't see why not. You could try to sell them if they're in good enough condition too but that's more effort

NinjaBoiX

I'd wait out the trend before you throw out perfectly good clothing. A decent pair of jeans are a fashion staple, I dare say you won't be seen dead in skinnies in a year or two.

I mean if they're shit then throw them out regardless.

Top Bottom