• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Rights Group, CAFE, banned from marching in Toronto's Pride Parade

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Canadian Association for Equality (CAFE), Canada's highest profile "men's rights" group, has been barred from marching in Toronto's Pride parade once and for all.

Unlike last year, the decision was a formal one rendered through Pride Toronto's Dispute Resolution Process [pdf], making CAFE the first organization whose application to march to be officially rejected in this way. The quasi-judicial process was originally set up by Pride in 2011 to weigh the participation of the Queers Against Israeli Apartheid; in 2012, a panel of arbitrators dismissed complaints against that group.

And the reasoning by the person who made the decision:

My decision is based on balancing of interests: I considered CAFE’s response that inclusion, diversity and equality are values the organization shares with Pride versus the numerous complaints filed against CAFE’s participation arguing that CAFE, as an organization and through its affiliation with men’s rights groups, contravenes Pride Toronto’s vision to, “create a safe space to engage communities in the celebration of their sexuality.”

I must give the complaints of members of the LGBTTIQQ2SA community precedence when they indicate the participation of CAFE could directly undermine the participation of queer, lesbian and trans women in the Pride Parade. Consequently, I determined that the Pride Parade is not the right venue for CAFE given Pride Toronto’s vision to create a safe space for people of all genders and sexual orientation.

Here's the link to the article: https://nowtoronto.com/news/think-free-blog/mens-rights-group-banned-from-marching-in-pride/

I wouldn't read the comments.

Previously,

Men's Rights Whitewash:

https://nowtoronto.com/news/mens-rights-whitewash/

A spokesman of the group harassed a woman on Twitter:

http://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2014/...ghts-by-harassing-jessica-valenti-on-twitter/

There was also this previous thread about them and a billboard that they placed:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1023934

What does LGBTTIQQ2SA stand for? This is the first time I have ever seen that abbreviation.

McDougles

What does LGBTTIQQ2SA stand for? This is the first time I have ever seen that abbreviation.

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transsexual, Transgender, Intersex, Queer, Questioning, 2-Spirited and Allies, iirc.

It's an abbreviation that was formalized at Toronto Pride Marches past.

Edit: iirc stands for If I Recall Correctly
lol

The A in Toronto pride is actually allies? Oh...

I can't believe they're erasing asexual/agender folk and claiming that allies are a marginalized group. Then again, Toronto had that incident last year where the allies got to run Trans Day of Remembrance and trans people were protesting it...

HUELEN10

Yeah, they are just making shit up with that abbreviation at this point.
Who is "they" and what makes you think those letters are made up?

Yes, it'd be easier if we said queer community, but some people don't like it (personally, I prefer it). Nothing wrong with being queer.

Aske

Smart ruling, and a superbly worded statement explaining the decision. Very nicely handled. Congrats Pride Toronto!

Ms.Galaxy

"LGBTTIQQ2SA"

Holy, that's a mouthful. I can see why some people are starting to refer it to GSM (Gender & Sexual Minorities) lately. It's simpler and catchier.

HUELEN10

"LGBTTIQQ2SA"

Holy, that's a mouthful. I can see why some people are starting to refer it to GSM (Gender & Sexual Minorities) lately. It's simpler and catchier.
Truly, GSM and GSRM is the way to go. Even made a thread about it before coming out.
What's wrong with allies?
Nothing is wrong with allies, the problem is giving them a place where it steps over the existence of other queers, queers who need that visibility and understanding.

Aske

Yeah, I saw that. I'm flabbergasted that they'd do something so fucked up. Asexual and agender folk being erased so that allies can claim minority status?

I completely agree that asexual people shouldn't be given short shrift. That's shameful. And it makes absolutely no sense for "allies" to be included in the abbreviation.

From a PR perspective, I'm surprised there isn't an agreed-upon catch-all term to describe all non-heterosexual, non-cisgender people. There has to be something more succinct, easier to promote, and upon which all can agree besides LGBTTIQQ2SA.

Edit: Oh, GSM huh? Nice! Hope it gains traction.

Valhelm

contribute something
LGBTTIQQ2SA

ktso1.gif

PSqueak

Banned
Truly, GSM and GSRM is the way to go. Even made a thread about it before coming out.

Nothing is wrong with allies, the problem is giving them a place where it steps over the existence of other queers, queers who need that visibility and understanding.

Honest question, since i had instantly assumed the A was for Asexuals, i personally believe that erasing Asexuals for Allies is pretty messed up,but, since at this point they (they being the Toronto Pride March Commitie) are way pass "saving space", had they put there two As, one to symbolize Asexuals and one Allies, woul you still find it wrong? I mean, they're obviously being very generous with the umbrella.

HUELEN10

Honest question, since i had instantly assumed the A was for Asexuals, i personally believe that erasing Asexuals for Allies is pretty messed up,but, since at this point they (they being the Toronto Pride March Commitie) are way pass "saving space", had they put there two As, one to symbolize Asexuals and one Allies, woul you still find it wrong? I mean, they're obviously being very generous with the umbrella.
Erin brought up agendered people, adding an extra A would be screwing them over too, but them being generous with the umbrella? if it strictly on sexuality (which being queer has a lot more to do with just that, gender and gender expression is part of that as well), it would be heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, an asexual, that's it (see the 4 main sexual orientations). But it's not about that, it's about 3 of those, the struggles that they face, and a whole lot more. And those 3 aren't the only sexual orientations either. What about romantic orientations? What about gender issues and the Trans community? GSM or GSRM solves or simply saying queer community solves this problem and is completely inclusive.

Also because of LGBT pride month (which may be called something more inclusive in the future), avatar change; why not.

cameron

It's a good move banning them. CAFE is pure douchebaggery. Their shenanigans under the pretense of equality aren't amusing.

Madness

Why was a MRA group even trying to march in a Pride parade? Most MRAs hate gay people almost as much as they hate feminists.

Probably same reason atheists apply to march in religious parades, or parades that are religious in nature, or pro-LGBT applying to march.

You are not owed the right to march in an event organized by a non-profit. I'm not sure you know what free speech is.

Pretty sure Pride Toronto, much like the Vancouver Pride Parade is funded primarily through taxpayers as well. They had to probably word it carefully so as to not be afoul of anti-discrimination, even if it's a shitty cause.

Plus, would the reverse be the same when LGBT floats are not allowed in those Catholic St. Patricks day parades?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom