• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa

Banned
Yeah I think the history is the important bit. What these severe infractions entailed, I'm not sure. That said, I thought Sqorin was a funny mofo, so he shall be missed.

plushyp

Today was also my birthday 🎂
MjAxMy1iNzk5ZGVhM2U4ZTJlYjEw.png

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
maybe a bit too soon, but its pretty open and understanding here, so just gonna speak my opinion and say some of the behavior in that REPedo thread became a bit much for my liking. At points it felt like gaf 2.0 was reverting to RE 1.0's level. I barely follow gaf on the weekends, though i did pop in a couple times to see any updates as the topic at hand was a pretty serious one, and some of the conversation really turned me away from wanting to participate (or even be associated) in that discussion anymore.

you dont have to agree with me or get offensive/defensive, just be cognizant of situations, mindful, and better than others.

I like you gaf, dont fuck this up.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
some of the conversation really turned me away from wanting to participate (or even be associated) in that discussion anymore.

I was intrigued at the start, OP appears to have put in a lot of work, and I like the way they write. I can't be bothered to read all of the responses though, a lot of just shit slinging and virtue signalling in there. I'd be happy to never see a thread about Resetera again.

plushyp

maybe a bit too soon, but its pretty open and understanding here, so just gonna speak my opinion and say some of the behavior in that REPedo thread became a bit much for my liking. At points it felt like gaf 2.0 was reverting to RE 1.0's level. I barely follow gaf on the weekends, though i did pop in a couple times to see any updates as the topic at hand was a pretty serious one, and some of the conversation really turned me away from wanting to participate (or even be associated) in that discussion anymore.

you dont have to agree with me or get offensive/defensive, just be cognizant of situations, mindful, and better than others.

I like you gaf, dont fuck this up.
The thread has attracted a lot of new members and woken up dormant accounts. Plus the nature of the thread is such that it was bound to create a ruckus. Unfortunately, your message will largely be ignored by the offenders as they are too busy being stuck in that thread.

I'd be happy to never see a thread about Resetera again.
Preach.

Last edited:

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
The thread has attracted a lot of new members and woken up dormant accounts. Plus the nature of the thread is such that it was bound to create a ruckus. Unfortunately, your message will largely be ignored by the offenders as they are too busy being stuck in that thread.

Preach.

Agreed - but all it has to do is reach the important people who lead discussions and the mods, most of who i know check this thread. So maybe a little message will be heard.

Of course, i coulda went through and reported the posts, but i think this is more direct and transparent. Plus reporting works better on one off posts than full on massive multiparty disscussions.

Last edited:

DKehoe

I'd be happy to never see a thread about Resetera again.

Same. People here fixate on there way too much. I've said this in previous posts but it's not a good look for here that the two most active community threads are often both the ones about Resetera (why the fuck are there two Resetera community threads here anyway). If they kept the conversation there that would be one thing but people feel the need to bring it up elsewhere all the time. I get that particular topics like this current Discord stuff can deserve discussion. But so often it feels like GAF is defining itself by how it's not resetera rather than what it actually is.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Unless I’m missing something a temp ban probably would be better.

Well the ban page does state a history of questionable defense force posts. The ban page is a nice step towards transparency but often it leaves you with more questions.

Yeah, I'd appreciate a full and detailed explanation behind that whole incident because frankly, it just comes across like one of the more popular posters on the forum got permed on a flex just to impress some Reset Drive-by (who then left a few hours later..... 🤔 .). Colour me a filthy European Liberal but I honestly don't get what it was that he said (from what I read) that was so irredeemable that he needed to be erased wholesale. It didn't seem like he was advocating for paedophilia versus attempting to delineate between a child versus an adolescent (both illegal still which he acknowledged). Maybe I missed some post edits or something?

I already asked about this topic once to *Tumbleweeds* in this thread: -

But in there, Killtz made a good point about a need for clarity:

To prevent further cases like this might I suggest the Mod team clarify by what they define as paedophilia? The reason I say this is because from what I've observed in the last few days there seems to be a few distinct groups of people with slightly different views.

1. Those that believe anything regarding minors and persons under the age of 18.
2. Those that believe it varies between countries and states depending on the law.
3. Those that believe it only applies to persons who haven't reached the age of adolescence yet. (Sqorin)

So while everyone here unanimously condemns paedophilia there is still room for posts to be perceived as defending it thus leading to the current situation.

Which I think we could do with so people don't fall foul of moderation in this regard going forward..

As for this thread: -

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/resetera-and-the-pedo-problem-updates.1487380/

I do not understand why on earth that thread is still shitting up OT.

We come off a really good E3 period, forum numbers are up and the place is buzzing and then suddenly a bit of juicy dirt emerges about Reset to ruffle some feathers and the policy on confining Era talk to the specific community threads apparently goes out the window, for *reasons*. I get it that some people love the forum drama and I'm not opposed to poking a bit of fun at it myself on occasion but it's not why I come here and in large part, I thought we'd moved past it, and were blazing our own trail.

Last edited:

plushyp

Same. People here fixate on there way too much. I've said this in previous posts but it's not a good look for here that the two most active community threads are often both the ones about Resetera (why the fuck are there two Resetera community threads here anyway). If they kept the conversation there that would be one thing but people feel the need to bring it up elsewhere all the time. I get that particular topics like this current Discord stuff can deserve discussion. But so often it feels like GAF is defining itself by how it's not resetera rather than what it actually is.
You mentioned people but it's actually a select few individuals who keep on harping about RE. And I've observed that a majority of the times those 2 Community threads go off into wildly different tangents about random things so I guess it is indirectly serving its purpose of making members talk.

Kadayi

Banned
You mentioned people but it's actually a select few individuals who keep on harping about RE. And I've observed that a majority of the times those 2 Community threads go off into wildly different tangents about random things so I guess it is indirectly serving its purpose of making members talk.

Yeah, the problem is they just make it look like this forum is completely obsessed with Era. I mean jeez look at the main page: -

Gifted threads: -

5 gifted posts, 4 of them Reset related.

:messenger_dizzy:

Barnabot

It seemed like M marrec was looking for blood and decided to personally push EviLore against the wall by "demanding a sacrifice" of any Gaf member who could have said something so controversial in that very same thread by quoting them to EviLore just to do an attempt to shut down the whole Pedo Era subject we were talking about a.s.a.p. (i.e. living by the sword , dying by the sword). Sqorin was just there "opening his mouth" and saying something controversial about the subject in one of most watched threads(by Era member too) over here last week. Also it seems that Sqorin has argued the same subject in the past in some other threads (but not in the most controversial thread we had this month).

I might be wrong about the facts but that was my take on that. Feel free to correct me if I understood it wrongly.

Nymphae

Banned
It seemed like @marrec was looking for blood and decided to personally push EviLore against the wall by "demanding a sacrifice" of any Gaf member who could have said something so controversial in that very same thread by quoting them to EviLore just to do an attempt to shut down the whole Pedo Era subject we were talking about a.s.a.p. (i.e. living by the sword , dying by the sword).

To be fair, I saw Marrec's post about Neogaf having people arguing similar lines, went to Sqorin's post, and thought dude....what the fuck are you doing? It didn't seem like Marrec was pushing Evilore as much as throwing it in the forum's face that we had a member dumb enough to start giving us that line of reasoning, in that very thread. Of course he was going to say "uh, you guys have this too."

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
It seemed like M marrec was looking for blood and decided to personally push EviLore against the wall by "demanding a sacrifice" of any Gaf member who could have said something so controversial in that very same thread by quoting them to EviLore just to do an attempt to shut down the whole Pedo Era subject we were talking about a.s.a.p. (i.e. living by the sword , dying by the sword). Sqorin was just there "opening his mouth" and saying something controversial about the subject in one of most watched threads(by Era member too) over here last week. Also it seems that Sqorin has argued the same subject in the past in some other threads (but not in the most controversial thread we had this month).

I might be wrong about the facts but that was my take on that. Feel free to correct me if I understood it wrongly.

No, that about sums it up, but in large part, the only reason the thread blew up in the first place is because, it has been left front and centre in OT versus corralled/merged with the other Era threads in community. What's the deal here? We're going to burn some post-exodus regulars on the off chance some folks from Era might jump ship?

kiiltz

To be fair, I saw Marrec's post about Neogaf having people arguing similar lines, went to Sqorin's post, and thought dude....what the fuck are you doing? It didn't seem like Marrec was pushing Evilore as much as throwing it in the forum's face that we had a member dumb enough to start giving us that line of reasoning, in that very thread. Of course he was going to say "uh, you guys have this too."
Someone said something similar and here's what I said in response

That argument is a little weird tbh because the nature of that thread was to expose the hypocrisy of those members in the discord so naturally there was gonna be some (not all) people here like the user in question that shared their viewpoint.

For example, it's like if a sect of Muslims were exposed as being Catholics and so the Muslims pointed out to the Papacy that they had churches with similar views so then in response the Papacy had them cut off.

Of course, this case in particular is entirely predicated on whether or not you associate late teenage sexual activities with paedophilia

The problem with that fucking thread is that no one seems to be in agreement over what paedophilia is, a fact that they themselves seem to be are unaware of, which leads me to believe that 80% of it is circle-jerking and bandwagoning their hate boner for Resetera (which I have no stake in).

Last edited:

Barnabot

No, that about sums it up, but in large part, the only reason the thread blew up in the first place is because, it has been left front and centre in OT versus corralled/merged with the other Era threads in community. What's the deal here? We're going to burn some post-exodus regulars on the off chance some folks from Era might jump ship?

Yeah, but what could happen if Sqorin was spared instead? I mean not even getting a warn about what he said? I'm not discussing the perm ban though. That's was up to the staff to decide.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Yeah, but what could happen if Sqorin was spared instead? I mean not even getting a warn about what he said? I'm not discussing the perm ban though. That's was up to the staff to decide.

The reason for his ban is listed as 'History of questionable defense force posts' which doesn't seem to marry up with what he was saying at all in terms of intent in that thread from what I can gauge. But still, I'm trying to understand your concern here because given the choice of optics over fair treatment, I'd favour more consideration to the latter every time. It reads like a flex.

Last edited:

Barnabot

The reason for his ban is listed as 'History of questionable defense force posts' which doesn't seem to marry up with what he was saying at all in terms of intent in that thread from what I can gauge. But still, I'm trying to understand your concern here because given the choice of optics over fair treatment, I'd favour more consideration to the latter every time. It reads like a flex.
I feel the same about what happened to him too.

Domisto

The thing about the RE-Pedo thread is regardless of the accuracy of the allegations, RE has stirred up a lot of bad will over the last 2 years and people want to see them suffer. Any scandal at RE will get blown up because a lot of forums are waiting to celebrate its demise. The place is already in a slow downward spiral but people want that money shot.

I don't like what RE represents and would rather it crashed and burned ASAP so everyone can move on. Sadly I expect it will drag on for years and think it would be better if everyone didn't get overly caught up in the recurring feeding frenzies.

If any RE normies are reading this. There are better forums out there. Ones not run by crazy, miserable, authoritarian, hypocrites. Go join them and have some fun. Or don't join any and go do something else fun. Like play some vidya, chat on twitch, learn to paint.

USER BANNED (duration pending): Victim blaming, defending a hate movement, history of severe common sense

Kadayi

Banned
The thing about the RE-Pedo thread is regardless of the accuracy of the allegations, RE has stirred up a lot of bad will over the last 2 years and people want to see them suffer. Any scandal at RE will get blown up because a lot of forums are waiting to celebrate its demise. The place is already in a slow downward spiral but people want that money shot.

I don't like what RE represents and would rather it crashed and burned ASAP so everyone can move on. Sadly I expect it will drag on for years and think it would be better if everyone didn't get overly caught up in the recurring feeding frenzies.

If any RE normies are reading this. There are better forums out there. Ones not run by crazy, miserable, authoritarian, hypocrites. Go join them and have some fun. Or don't join any and go do something else fun. Like play some vidya, chat on twitch, learn to paint.

USER BANNED (duration pending): Victim blaming, defending a hate movement, history of severe common sense

Absolutely. The fact that they're still camping the Neogaf Steam group almost 2 years later to stop us from using it is just outright petty behaviour on their part, but at the same time I don't think making a grievance thread front and centre here, makes GAF any better and as one of the many whose put a lot of time and effort in to help rejuvenate this place from the dead forum it was, it feels like a major step back. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should, and that's a truth that cuts both ways equally.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
After everything that transpired over the years I can appreciate people indulging in the schadenfreuede, but think it should be enjoyed mindfully.

Such discussion can be fair and intellectual, like the discussion on Gaf is these days, but it can also turn dark and sinister pretty quickly too. The dopamine hit of being right, getting traction and affecting lives is helluva drug. The brain will crave for more.

For all I can tell, Gaf is now a great trajectory, it’s a positive and lively forum with fun and great discussion, and new Gaf has managed to rid itself of its former addiction. Let’s be careful not to get hooked again.

I mean, I am guilty of often finding cross forum drama entertaining, but I do wonder whether that the more serious brand of autism is better served by Kiwi Farms.

Domisto

Absolutely. The fact that they're still camping the Neogaf Steam group almost 2 years later to stop us from using it is just outright petty behaviour on their part
I remember talk last year about trying to get that sorted but seems nothing came of it.

Is anyone still working on freeing SteamGAF or does it make sense to start something else? It's v annoying that the name is parked but even a dirty casual like me would like to join a GAF group if there was one.

Papa

Banned
After everything that transpired over the years I can appreciate people indulging in the schadenfreuede, but think it should be enjoyed mindfully.

Such discussion can be fair and intellectual, like the discussion on Gaf is these days, but it can also turn dark and sinister pretty quickly too. The dopamine hit of being right, getting traction and affecting lives is helluva drug. The brain will crave for more.

For all I can tell, Gaf is now a great trajectory, it’s a positive and lively forum with fun and great discussion, and new Gaf has managed to rid itself of its former addiction. Let’s be careful not to get hooked again.

I mean, I am guilty of often finding cross forum drama entertaining, but I do wonder whether that the more serious brand of autism is better served by Kiwi Farms.

Exactly right.

I don't think we should be silencing and trying to stomp out discussion of Ree because those wounds never fully healed and people need to be able to discuss it otherwise it will just get bottled up. What we absolutely cannot do is stoop to their level and play the game according to their rules. I'm cross-posting this post I made this morning in that thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/resetera-and-the-pedo-problem-updates.1487380/page-46#post-254603659. That Mr. Anderson character's first post was to cry for deplatforming and encourage us to contact Ree advertisers. It was clearly a setup for them to point at and play the victim later because those mean alt right Nazis at "the old place" were trying to doxx and deplatform them. It's the politics of Victimology and what Mr. Anderson was doing was not unlike what Jussie Smollett did: fake a crime that you can then play the victim over later. Doxxing, deplatforming, etc. are what they do, not us, and we need to be smart enough to see it for what it is and not roll out the red carpet for them to waltz on in, play their stupid games and then paint us as the villain. The best thing we can do when they come here to grind their axes is to point, laugh, then collectively turn our backs and shrug. Do not, under any circumstance, give in to the cries for doxxing and deplatforming.

CyberPanda CyberPanda mekes mekes Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese Bryank75 Bryank75 pramod pramod Soleil rouge Soleil rouge haxan7 haxan7 Lady Bird Lady Bird you guys are all regulars here who should've known better than to support Mr. Anderson's deplatforming cries.

Kadayi

Banned
I remember talk last year about trying to get that sorted but seems nothing came of it.

Is anyone still working on freeing SteamGAF or does it make sense to start something else? It's v annoying that the name is parked but even a dirty casual like me would like to join a GAF group if there was one.

Valve doesn't seem to want to deal with it apparently, so it seems like a bit of an impasse.

I saw Sqorin doing that same defense in another thread before and thought he was a bit creepy then too

What defence?

Exactly right.

I don't think we should be silencing and trying to stomp out discussion of Ree because those wounds never fully healed and people need to be able to discuss it otherwise it will just get bottled up. What we absolutely cannot do is stoop to their level and play the game according to their rules. I'm cross-posting this post I made this morning in that thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/resetera-and-the-pedo-problem-updates.1487380/page-46#post-254603659. That Mr. Anderson character's first post was to cry for deplatforming and encourage us to contact Ree advertisers. It was clearly a setup for them to point at and play the victim later because those mean alt right Nazis at "the old place" were trying to doxx and deplatform them. It's the politics of Victimology and what Mr. Anderson was doing was not unlike what Jussie Smollett did: fake a crime that you can then play the victim over later. Doxxing, deplatforming, etc. are what they do, not us, and we need to be smart enough to see it for what it is and not roll out the red carpet for them to waltz on in, play their stupid games and then paint us as the villain. The best thing we can do when they come here to grind their axes is to point, laugh, then collectively turn our backs and shrug. Do not, under any circumstance, give in to the cries for doxxing and deplatforming.

CyberPanda CyberPanda mekes mekes Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese Bryank75 Bryank75 pramod pramod Soleil rouge Soleil rouge haxan7 haxan7 Lady Bird Lady Bird you guys are all regulars here who should've known better than to support Mr. Anderson's deplatforming cries.

Oof.

Last edited:
Exactly right.

I supported deplatforming?

I listed the regulars who liked Mr. Anderson’s posts
Link to post?

I see it now. I thought he was being ironic.

No I don’t support deplatforming them. I support the open discussion that was here in that thread, as well as the open discussion that has been here for sometime now.

Honestly tho, I read it right now and still seems said ironically.

Hope that clears it up tho

Last edited:
@
Exactly right.

You're an absolute legend for pointing that out, mate :messenger_heart: It's very easy to get sucked into the vortex of self-righteous justice and end up looking like REEtards. CyberPanda CyberPanda , you're gonna get a spanking from me tonight. Bad boy.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Link to post?

I see it now. I thought he was being ironic.

No I don’t support deplatforming them. I support the open discussion that was here in that thread, as well as the open discussion that has been here for sometime now.

Honestly tho, I read it right now and still seems said ironically.

Hope that clears it up tho
Yes, I have a hard time reading that 'Deplatform!' part as anything but ironic. It echoes resetera's cries, but with a hyperbolic exclamation mark. If it was not meant to be an exaggerated claim, the user did not communicate it very effectively.

Papa

Banned
Just to clarify, you guys are saying that you interpreted this post from a 9 year old account with no prior posts as being ironic rather than a delibrate attempt at provoking a mob?

You're doing God's work, @Celine.D.Sykes . Looks like ERA staff are just censoring every mention of this though...so hit them where it hurts- make all the companies that put ads on Era know about this. I think a lot of the site's revenue comes from their paid membership tiers, but taking out a chunk of their ad revenue will definitely affect their day to day operation.

Deplatform!

Just to clarify, you guys are saying that you interpreted this post from a 9 year old account with no prior posts as being ironic rather than a delibrate attempt at provoking a mob?
Yes. I don’t do that much background work into reacting to a post. It seemed silly and ironic so I reacted to it.

Provoking a mob? What does that mean.

Papa

Banned
Yes. I don’t do that much background work into reacting to a post. It seemed silly and ironic so I reacted to it.

Provoking a mob? What does that mean.

Come on man...

Attempting to provoke a mob into deplatforming efforts inc. doxxing, contacting advertisers/employers, etc.

Engage that organ between your ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom