• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online Official Thread -- NeoGAF clan now up!

Facism

-COOLIO- said:
it's hell no matter what : [

narc is great for tsne though

I remember back in the Wasp Unit days when we did survival, half of the clan had NARC fully levelled and hated doing it :lol Fucking invaluable skill for TSNE.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
WHO'S WHO??:

MidtownMaelstrom_1.jpg

mgochar.jpg

i bought some shoes inspired by mgo char so i went ALL THA WAY

In the spirit of keeping this thread alive, I am sharing my thoughts of recent play.

1. I still can't aim. Maybe I should stop playing 16-players server, but it hard to take the time to aim when the next second somebody will just flank me; not to mention most people seem to spray and be pretty good at it.

2. I play mostly base, and I have been messing with Toughness 3. Yay for not being knocked down by anything, especially grenades, but Boo for having that skill taking up 3 slot and I have to pick between runner or mono for that one last slot. I can't play without mono =/

3. XMB is one cool gun.

4. I hate base-camping snipers. Yeah, I guess that's what snipers are supposed to do, but I just hate running through the middle in MM and getting shot over and over again by some sniper camping waaay back at their base.

witness

Hmmm reading about the ways this game is "broken" online has me worried. I'm getting my ps3 back sometime this week from getting fixed and I was set on buying all 3 online expansion (looks to be a good price for all the stuff you get) but reading this thread has put that on hold. Is the online that bad? How often do you come across people 'exploiting' the game?

witness said:
Hmmm reading about the ways this game is "broken" online has me worried. I'm getting my ps3 back sometime this week from getting fixed and I was set on buying all 3 online expansion (looks to be a good price for all the stuff you get) but reading this thread has put that on hold. Is the online that bad? How often do you come across people 'exploiting' the game?
It happens a lot but i still come back because of the weekly gear update and the variety the game still offers. Well there are actually 2 types of exploits. One that is an obvious cheat where people use lag switches to exploit the game's bugs and normal exploits that competitive players use to gain an unfair edge that just ruins the intended design of the game.
The first one doesn't happen as much as before but you'll see it every few games but the second happens a lot. Of course there are probably a bunch secret or new exploits that have yet to be found or used.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i heard there was suppose to be one on the 24th, when comic con starts. maybe not at comic con but that happens to be a plausible connection since there was an mgo tourny there last year

ViolentP said:
I'm willing to play regularly if you guys are.

So after finishing MGS4, i thought i should try MGO.

I had heard so bas things about this game, about Komani ID (yes it's a pain sometimes), and all... but I surprisingly enjoyed a lot playing online.

Alright, they're some cheaters, but I think like in most of online games I've played so far... But I find something i like in MGO, the gameplay (please don't hate me ! :lol ). They're lot of game rules, tournament... I've decided to play some days more before buying the pack with all 3 expansions, but certainly will.

I hope they are still few people playing MGO on GAF. If they're an active clan, please PM me, I'll join happily.

Vek

Just started playing this again recently, and while I've been enjoying it so far, the lag and poor player numbers (due to being an Aussie on the EU servers pretty much) have been dampening my enthusiasm a bit.

So that's lead me to consider getting the Japanese standalone pack, but before I decide on it, I just wanted to know if my existing Konami/game ID can be used for jMGO, and about any potential issues with buying expansion packs. Also, if anyone would be kind enough to share their thoughts on how jMGO compares to their native regions, I'd really appreciate that too :).

JonStark said:
So after finishing MGS4, i thought i should try MGO.

I had heard so bas things about this game, about Komani ID (yes it's a pain sometimes), and all... but I surprisingly enjoyed a lot playing online.

Alright, they're some cheaters, but I think like in most of online games I've played so far... But I find something i like in MGO, the gameplay (please don't hate me ! :lol ). They're lot of game rules, tournament... I've decided to play some days more before buying the pack with all 3 expansions, but certainly will.

I hope they are still few people playing MGO on GAF. If they're an active clan, please PM me, I'll join happily.

MGO is still worth your time, despite all the faults you made reference to, given the depth of the gameplay and the awesome and unique modes the game throws at you.

The expansion pack is definitely worth it, especially SCENE with Raiden and Vamp. Now, I play on the US servers, and so far in my experience the people that truly utilize the expansion packs the most are the TSNE crowd. Just keep that in mind if you are having trouble finding games with the new maps and unique characters allowed.

Also, if you are in the US, the GAF clan is pretty much dead. I know Berserker had tried to revitalize it (he is now clan leader) so you can contact him. A big effort is needed if you want to reorganize the GAF clan, otherwise I recommend you joining other clans (and even better, joining the clans that target specifically the game modes you are interested in. I am in a clan for the base modes).

BeautifulMemory said:
MGO is still worth your time, despite all the faults you made reference to, given the depth of the gameplay and the awesome and unique modes the game throws at you.

The expansion pack is definitely worth it, especially SCENE with Raiden and Vamp. Now, I play on the US servers, and so far in my experience the people that truly utilize the expansion packs the most are the TSNE crowd. Just keep that in mind if you are having trouble finding games with the new maps and unique characters allowed.

Also, if you are in the US, the GAF clan is pretty much dead. I know Berserker had tried to revitalize it (he is now clan leader) so you can contact him. A big effort is needed if you want to reorganize the GAF clan, otherwise I recommend you joining other clans (and even better, joining the clans that target specifically the game modes you are interested in. I am in a clan for the base modes).

Thx for the infos. I think i'll get the pack with all three expansions, to experience other gameplay / full potencial.

I'm EU player, but can someone explain me how it is region locked ? I'm pretty sure I played with people from US...

I'll try joining a rule-specific clan as you say, if the GAF euro clan is dead.

Beowulf28

JonStark said:
Thx for the infos. I think i'll get the pack with all three expansions, to experience other gameplay / full potencial.

I'm EU player, but can someone explain me how it is region locked ? I'm pretty sure I played with people from US...

I'll try joining a rule-specific clan as you say, if the GAF euro clan is dead.
If you were playing with people from the US chances are they have EU copies of the game.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
BeautifulMemory said:

i think you have to make a japanese id but its just as easy as making an na one.

I played the shit out of this last Spring/Summer. Haven't played in almost a year. I just finally got the PS3 headset... I'm tempted to get the maps for $18 and jump back in for when I'm not in a Killzone mood.

Worth it?

I tried to get a game going last night... The auto-match never did get a game together, and the other games on the NA server list looked less than appealing.

I finally got a couple games last night. MGO is still such an amazing game: the pacing, the utter lack of restriction, the atmosphere...

I think I'm going to get the map-packs and get going on this again.

I've been playing this online for most of the night. Looks like the community is still pretty strong.

Now. The find a steady and serious clan. Time for some Tactics!

I noticed that Konami is aware of "death looping" and currently is taking action. It's a shame I can't record games because this happened to me last week. I'll post his username so you can keep an eye out for him.

RadioHeadAche said:
I noticed that Konami is aware of "death looping" and currently is taking action. It's a shame I can't record games because this happened to me last week. I'll post his username so you can keep an eye out for him.

Ironically, I got kicked out of a game few weeks back because someone accusing the clan (Neogaf) to be glitching. I am not even sure that guy recognized the Neogaf emblem or not, but he sure was quick to point fingers.

I have been playing TSNE mostly, anything other just irks me. I try very hard to aim and only to be killed with a headshot within secs of encountering an enemy. Everyone, well I should say most, seem to just spray and somehow that works out for them. I hate to be negative but I wonder just how many cheaters are out there

The community is still going stronger than I expected though, I really thought we would see a huge drop after the release of Resistance 2 and Killzone 2. I hear more grumbling with the release of Uncharted 2 near.

In a wicked sense I hope this game dies soon so we can get a properly flushed out multi player MGO.

Someone once accused me of stealing their clan logo. I have no idea what they were talking about since the clan logo was the Gaf orb.

Maybe that guy you encountered was banned from gaf, so he wanted to ruin the clan's reputation. :lol

Alright suckas, 1.34 is out. It fixes bunch of stuff, but to me they don't matter since lag is still BS and apparently Deathloop is not fixed as well.

I am not left handed, but I feel like using the left-hand camera is more beneficial and gets better aim view for the most part?

MNC

I'd play more MGO if it weren't so tedious to boot it up and find a server. Standalone startup from XMB would be nice indeed :lol Konami ID is really not that bad, just do it once and you're set.

master15

Just beat MSG 4 last week and started MGO this week. I searched and found the GAF clan (I think?) but it seems sort of dead...

Anyone up for some MGO, add me on PSN. I am a lowly level 1 member though but really enjoyed my pla session of MGO today.

master15 said:
Just beat MSG 4 last week and started MGO this week. I searched and found the GAF clan (I think?) but it seems sort of dead...

Anyone up for some MGO, add me on PSN. I am a lowly level 1 member though but really enjoyed my pla session of MGO today.

GAF clan is dead. Although I still carry the emblem around *salute*

What's your psn? Or you have already given up on the game lol

getting scanner ex is a bitch

master15

BeautifulMemory said:
GAF clan is dead. Although I still carry the emblem around *salute*

What's your psn? Or you have already given up on the game lol

getting scanner ex is a bitch

No I've had a handful of really great games just within the lobby. I sort of prefer smaller number, when we have 3 on 3, it becomes a hell of a lot more tactical.

My PSN is sheeboy64 (It was supposed to be sheepboy, lef the p out now people in home think I am a tranny-great :lol).

I still really need to masters CQC but if you're on, give me a shout.

If they ever plan on making a sequel to mgo they're going have to take a couple of things into consideration:

1. Ditch the box or limit the way its used and have a cover system that works like uncharted 2.
People wont run out in the middle and twitch around with the box to survive.
Uncharted 2 feels more tactical than mgo.
Add an incentive to using the cover system. Maybe healing only works when you take cover.

2. Revise the ranking system. I like how the western games don't lower your level or rank just because you had a bad day. MGO's ranking system is just frustrating and unfair. Especially when the person making you lose is either from cheaters or bad teammates.

3. Weapons should be bought through the drebin shop like with the gear. It will offer an opportunity for updates with new guns and it fits with the single player mechanic of buying new weapons. More things to unlock mean more incentive to keep on playing.

4. Design the netcode with the US bandwidth in mind. Japan has super fast internet speeds so they probably don't experience as many glitches and bugs. Take notes from IW and Naughty Dog.

5. Give the gear some skill attributes.

-Heavy armor set = Increased health for the body but movement speed is reduced. Adds to the overall weight that affects speed.

-No armor = Runner 3 skill.

-Helmets = Gives you extra protection from head shots. Adds to the overall weight that affects speed.

-barrets = If an enemy shoots at your head,your hat flies off and you take no damage.

- Gloves = increased grip for cqc choke holds.

- satchels and backpacks = increased ammo capacity.

Top Bottom