• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Metal |OT| The best video game cover band

KevinCow

Banned
Newest Song: Tallon Overworld

I've been following these guys for a while, and the newest track just went up, so I thought now would be a good time to make a thread here in case some of you guys hadn't heard of them.

Metroid Metal is, as the name implies, a band that covers music from the Metroid series in a funky Jazz style. Or possibly Metal, sometimes I get my styles confused. Originally started as a solo project in 2003 by Grant Henry, aka Stemage, the project has grown into an awesome five member band that's played live around the country, including MAGfest and PAX. Most of the songs on the site are done by Stemage alone or with a guest, but the band together has put out two albums: Varia Suite and Expansion Pack. These contain redone versions of music from the site, which may not seem that exciting at first, but listen to the album versions next to the originals and it's clear how much more four extra heads adds to them.

But the important thing is just that they make really awesome music. Even if you're not a fan of Metroid, even if you've never even played Metroid, just listen to some of those and try to tell me they don't rock. It's hard to say where to start, but some of my favorites are Lower Norfair, Theme/Bryyo, and Sector 1.

Now talk about how great they are and how awesome the newest track is.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I remember completely flipping out and falling in love when Stemage posted his first track on the IGN boards. Great music.

Red

I have the CD (Varia Suite).

Sogood.gif

And just bought Expansion Pack. Thanks, OP.

Every time I listen to these guys I think: why in the fuck weren't they contacted to do the soundtrack for Other M?

Oh my god @ Brinstar on EP. I got goosebumps.

Top Bottom