• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

Thought I'd replay MP3 on disc, since I redid 1 and 2 a couple of months ago. Three things I noticed:

1. I don't think Retro knows how vaccines work, because this game uses the word wrong in literally every instance.
2. The Valhalla still scares the crap out of me.
3. Welding is still the most unexpectedly fun little mechanic.

Why the hell not.

1. Quadraxis
2. Gandrayda
3. Dark Samus (Corruption)
4. Spider Ball Guardian
5. Chykka

Great list. I used to HATE Chykka with a passion. I still find the first part pretty dull, but upon repeat playthroughs I have really come to enjoy the second phase a lot. I actually think one of the really underrated fights in Echoes is against the giant sandworms of Agon. I remember being in a HUGE panic the first time when all three of them were coming at me.

On the other hand, the Harmony Class Drone is an exciting fight done from an entirely different angle while still adhering to the "innards of a pinball machine turned death trap" design. The way the fight ramps up with each ascension upward is so cool and I will never get tired of boost ball launching off spider ball tracks.

I had a hard time deciding whether to pick the Spider Guardian or the Harmony Class Drone as my number five. Both are very unique fights. Echoes has the best morph ball utilization in the Metroid series as a whole, and both of these bosses are a big reason why. Thanks for your comments!

torvus bog restored, now onto sanctuary fortress

Your first time playing? If so, have fun playing through the greatest Metroid level ever!

zoobzone

This thread caught my eyes and I was interested in Metroid Prime.

However when I headed to the Japanese eShop it was no where to be found, then I looked up and found out the original trilogy never released in Japan as a set.

Great list. I used to HATE Chykka with a passion. I still find the first part pretty dull, but upon repeat playthroughs I have really come to enjoy the second phase a lot. I actually think one of the really underrated fights in Echoes is against the giant sandworms of Agon. I remember being in a HUGE panic the first time when all three of them were coming at me.

I had a hard time deciding whether to pick the Spider Guardian or the Harmony Class Drone as my number five. Both are very unique fights. Echoes has the best morph ball utilization in the Metroid series as a whole, and both of these bosses are a big reason why. Thanks for your comments!

Your first time playing? If so, have fun playing through the greatest Metroid level ever!

Yeah fist time playing prime 2, i loved 1 and 2 but never managed to find a copy of prime 2 or trilogy, finally playing is being great. Specially so since recently i had to sacrifice my 14 year old dog and metroid is helping me get this out of my head.

Just beat spider guardian, great boss. It looks like the fortress will be full of spider ball antics

Verger

Banned
I don't like barbie Samus, but it could be worse, the look in Prime is in line with Super Metroid, do we know who asked Retro to change her appearance?
Obviously I cannot say with absolute certainty. But it seems likely that Nintendo had Retro change Samus' appearance in Echoes to match her appearance in Metroid: Zero Mission which released just beforehand, since that is the game where you get to take control of Samus without her suit and this was the appearance they made for her there. So I guess blame Sakamoto again?

Thought I'd replay MP3 on disc, since I redid 1 and 2 a couple of months ago
I would probably recommend the digital version of Corruption if only for the major reduction in load times which were pretty bad due to the Discs.

Can you scan that thing at the central dynamo? Or you're not supposed to?
If you mean the Invisible Sentry Drone then no, you cannot scan that thing.

Anyway Echoes I think actually has both the best and the worst bosses in the Trilogy. The best being Quadraxis and the worst being Chykka. I beat Chykka today and was reminded of how annoying it is. It is challenging to be sure, but also very difficult to get your bearings in control due to all the stuff going on. Even the boss death scene is crap compared to the others. That said, I could imagine many choosing the Spider Ball Guardian since that one is pretty annoying too, although the jump ball ability helps this time around.

Was reminded again of how awesome the Sanctuary Fortress is. It's pretty damn amazing because as soon as you enter the area you feel as if you've stepped into a completely different game altogether, enough to make you wonder if you're still on the same planet as it is a completely alien environment to anything you've seen in Prime. Again kudos to the level designers here for creating such a fascinating complex. It still looks stellar even today as they put so many bells and whistles into the environment props you can see so many different VFX everywhere it's pretty crazy what they were able to pull off.

And of course it is home to those crazy Spider Ball puzzle tracks.

Impala26

Prime 1 Samus is the GOAT. She actually looks like she's been through some shit...which she has, with the whole "parents killed/raised by hippy bird people and infused with their DNA" thing. The supermodel look of Echoes/Zero Mission and later seems disingenuous to me given the character's backstory.

This user gets it.
I thought she looked like a real, believable human being post-game of Prime 1. Back in the good old year of 2002/03, this was pretty damn fantastical.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like barbie Samus, but it could be worse, the look in Prime is in line with Super Metroid, do we know who asked Retro to change her appearance?

Nintendo probably had them fix her appearance so she would look like she does in other games. Then we got that awful Samus from Prime 2 probably due to a combination of being rushed plus their first attempt at trying to fit anime Samus with their art style.

dLMN8R

Man the intro to Prime 2 is one of the most unsettling things I've played in a while. Forgot how utterly creepy it is, especially the sound and music.

Man the intro to Prime 2 is one of the most unsettling things I've played in a while. Forgot how utterly creepy it is, especially the sound and music.

I hear.
Them.
Everywhere.
They're coming.
Can't sleep. Ever.
They'll eat me.
Eat.

mstevens

Really enjoying Metroid Prime (1) so far. Just got the
energy tank in Magmoor Caverns... took awhile to get the timing down
and saved in a nice looking snowy area. Taking my time and trying to soak it in.

Azure J

I hear.
Them.
Everywhere.
They're coming.
Can't sleep. Ever.
They'll eat me.
Eat.

Legitimately one of the most unnerving things I had ever experienced at that point in time. Prime 2 was my first Metroid, my first Prime and my first first-person game. Seeing stuff like that was as many parts unsettling as it was a motivation to keep going.

Toxi

Banned
Fun fact: There are lyrics.

Join us Samus
Join us Samus
Join us join us
You must join us

Verger

Banned
The Opening for Prime 2 is perfect for those who want a straight-up quick intro with Samus landing on a completely Alien planet isolated and alone. And then it gets dark real quick with the remains of the GFC.

Unlike Prime 1 whose intro dealt with the Space Pirates, and there were no logs, here these are the "good guys" and you quickly see just how badly things have gone for them. The Logs do a great job of conveying how desperate the situation became where they realize they're in over their heads and that's even before the Ing attacked.

Prime 2's opening was pretty much perfect in that regard. In a way I was glad that Prime 3 changed things up and did the intro differently compared to the previous 2.

Croc

Banned
Finally got around to finishing Prime 1 tonight and also went ahead and got started on Prime 2. I think I finished 1 with about 90% items at around 10.5 hours. I think I've had much better than that before tbh, but it's been a long time since the last time I played.

Prime 2 is bringing back so many memories in just the first 5 minutes though. I'm really excited to play through this again.

Also going right from 1 to 2 I was really surprised with how different the suit looked between the two. I always remembered them being the exact same look and lighting.

sanctuary fortress restored! This place was really cool, kind of hard to get your head around it the first time. Great boss battles too! from dark samus to quadraxis, all incredible. Now i got the light suit and already have 2 sky temple keys. Later i will clean up the upgrades i missed + get all of the keys.

It's been an incredible game. Hard to choose between any of them, can't wait to replay prime 3 too! I think i am going to get a little depressed after i finish this metroid marathon.

we've all been there

I even replayed super metroid in preparation for the trilogy. I think i will get fusion at eshop to last this longer. At least i have lttp, mario galaxy 2 and earthbound to replay since i got them with the metroids.

Playing these games show how good retro is and i hope that the relationship between nintendo and them stay this strong forever. the donkey kong country games are so good too! i even sent a message to their facebook page wishing the team happy holidays at the end of last year because i was amazed by tropical freeze haha.

ivysaur12

Banned
So, I finally reached the end of Echoes, and I feel like this boss is going to be the end of me.

First form, fine. Annihilator beam tracks all the tentacles and then I Sonic Boom 4 times to kill the eye. Second form, recover, get my ammo beam up.

I honestly cannot beat the third form and the most I can do is get it down to 75% health. I can't avoid its light beams that it sends out, when it jumps, it's almost impossible to avoid, and I end up running through ammo before I can kill its heart because it only opens its mouth every so often. Ugh.

So, I finally reached the end of Echoes, and I feel like this boss is going to be the end of me.

First form, fine. Annihilator beam tracks all the tentacles and then I Sonic Boom 4 times to kill the eye. Second form, recover, get my ammo beam up.

I honestly cannot beat the third form and the most I can do is get it down to 75% health. I can't avoid its light beams that it sends out, when it jumps, it's almost impossible to avoid, and I end up running through ammo before I can kill its heart because it only opens its mouth every so often. Ugh.

If you don't have all beam ammo expansions, use a guide to find them. You should have 250 ammo. And I would go into the fight with at least 200 missiles and all but one or two energy tanks. Also, unless you can regain all of your ammo by the time you reach his third form, don't use any until then. Instead, use the seeker missiles on the tentacles and super missiles on the main part. Use the second form to recover all of your health and missiles. For the third part, use super missiles when his mouth is read, and then annihilator ammo when he's changing between light and dark phases. He'll spit out little bugs from time to time to replenish your ammo. Also, if you do run out of ammo, you can still charge the beam to fire a single shot incase you didn't know. Hope that helps.

Use Light Beam on tentacles. It's faster.
Use Super Missiles on the eye.
Save all Annihilator Beam ammo for last phase just spam the crap out of it. Kills him very efficiently.

Azure J

Ah ha, that and the Seeker Missiles are smart. Thanks.

Aw, I was beaten to it, but basically, you want to:

Seeker Missile the tentacles

Super Missile the eye

Spider Ball and roll over as many of those pores on the Crysalis to trigger the tentacles to poke out before dropping a power bomb and killing them. Alternatively, you can kill all but one tentacle, climb to the top of the Crysalis and kill the little Inglet puddles with regular morph ball bombs to farm Power Bombs, Missiles and Health.

Mutated Emperor Ing - Super Missiles are your friend until the polarity of its heart changes, then just spam Annihilator Beam shots. DO NOT USE LIGHT/DARK BEAM MISSILES, you'll run out of ammo guaranteed.

And for the last segment which I won't spoil, just remember to take a 30 second trip around the area near the Sky Temple teleportation pad/save station to recover some more beam ammo and health.

Astral Dog

Probably Sakamoto, as its the Zero Suit Samus design they use, still their ZSamus looks very odd, she was hideous on Echoes.

Verger

Banned
Probably Sakamoto, as its the Zero Suit Samus design they use, still their ZSamus looks very odd, she was hideous on Echoes.
I wouldn't be surprised if that was a last-minute change on Retro's part, or perhaps they weren't given enough character reference to make the model correctly.

Or they hated the design and gave it what they felt it deserved :p

You know what's disappointing about Corruption?

Late game spoilers:

That the distress call from the "trooper" on the Pirate Homeworld isn't actually from a trooper.

Like, I saw through it instantly the first time I played the game, but I wanted to rescue a trooper, dammit.

Kaiser_Glider

Neo Member
You know what's disappointing about Corruption?

Late game spoilers:

That the distress call from the "trooper" on the Pirate Homeworld isn't actually from a trooper.

Like, I saw through it instantly the first time I played the game, but I wanted to rescue a trooper, dammit.

You could definitely see it from a mile away yeah, but I still thought it was pretty cool.

Actually, now that I'm replaying Corruption, I'm enjoying it even more than I did before. Is it me, or does this trilogy get better every time you replay it?

ivysaur12

Banned
Wow, I had forgotten just HOW cinematic Corruption is. It's such a different change of pace, especially after playing Prime and Echoes in a row. Not that it's necessarily better or worse. I do appreciate it its commitment to this epic feel that this really is the finale of this chapter.

Echoes felt SO isolated, more so than Prime and even with U-Mos, that this is very huge change of pace.

Micken

Banned
I just finished up Prime 2 last night, and I have to say... I hate
the Ing emperor. I could NOT figure out what to do for the longest time... I died a couple of times before I figured out that I had to spider ball onto his body. I know, I should've tried everything, but the thought really didn't enter my mind ever. I had to read the extended logbook description of him.
But, other than that, it's a cool game. Not as cool as Corruption has been so far, though... Man, there's stuff happening all the time, and everything is so mind-blowingly cool. I can't wait to play some more...

I BEAT ECHOES THIS HAS TO BE ONE OF MY FAVORITE GAMING ACCOMPLISHMENTS

One of my best gaming accomplishments is that last year I FINALLY was able to clear it on Hard (original GC version, Trilogy nerfs the Boost and Spider Ball Guardian's difficulty) without losing a life.

I just finished up Prime 2 last night, and I have to say... I hate
the Ing emperor. I could NOT figure out what to do for the longest time... I died a couple of times before I figured out that I had to spider ball onto his body. I know, I should've tried everything, but the thought really didn't enter my mind ever. I had to read the extended logbook description of him.
But, other than that, it's a cool game. Not as cool as Corruption has been so far, though... Man, there's stuff happening all the time, and everything is so mind-blowingly cool. I can't wait to play some more...

It warms my heart to hear so many people enjoying Corruption. GAF doesn't give it the appreciation it deserves.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
You could definitely see it from a mile away yeah, but I still thought it was pretty cool.

Actually, now that I'm replaying Corruption, I'm enjoying it even more than I did before. Is it me, or does this trilogy get better every time you replay it?

yes, it really does. The games are so smooth to control, the more you know about the game world, the more you get to pick up on the details. They are all among the most perfect games I've ever played in this regard. They actually get better with age.

Man I'd forgot that in corruption you cold see Samus' eyes track the movement of the Wiimote. Such an awesome detail.

Whoa, I never noticed that. That's another thing I love about this thread. I've played all three about 7 times each, and I've learned several little inconsequential, yet amazing details that I hadn't noticed before.

daedalius

Getting the wii u on my bday the 19th, this will probably be the first thing I play aside from some smash.

Can't wait!

Does the wii u output in 1080p or 720?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Should really go back and finish this. Stopped either at or right after the underwater boss of Echoes...

Verger

Banned
Wow, I had forgotten just HOW cinematic Corruption is. It's such a different change of pace, especially after playing Prime and Echoes in a row. Not that it's necessarily better or worse. I do appreciate it its commitment to this epic feel that this really is the finale of this chapter.

Echoes felt SO isolated, more so than Prime and even with U-Mos, that this is very huge change of pace.
Like I said, I for one was glad that Retro changed things up in Corruption as I felt Echoes simply nailed the "Isolation" feel of Metroid perfectly, which they had built upon from the original Prime. So Corruptions more "cinematic" (I guess? It's still not "cinematic" in terms of what I feel the AAA devs like to aim for) approach and having her interact with the GFS Olympus to begin with was a nice change of pace. And I felt it was appropriate given that Corruption was meant to be the "Epic Conclusion" of the Trilogy.

I'm still in Echoes. Enjoying the Sanctuary Fortress so much. It just cannot be said enough how great this world is. So many things to see and so many tiny details in it. The layout is just brilliance.

Puflwiz

Banned
I beat all the games about 2 weeks ago for the 5th time. Fantastic games, all of them. But can I mention how mad I am that the screenshot tool doesn't save the images to your SD card?

Verger

Banned
I beat all the games about 2 weeks ago for the 5th time. Fantastic games, all of them. But can I mention how mad I am that the screenshot tool doesn't save the images to your SD card?
Really? I thought it was supposed to do that? That sucks. I wish there was a way to capture media from the game. There's so many moments that are so capturable and they look great. Wish I could take gifs of this game too.

ChuyMasta

Did anybody else appreciate the jump in graphics from 1,2 to 3 a little bit more this time? Corruption seems to use different graphical effects that make it stand out compared to the earlier games. I finished mp2 and started mp3 right away.

Also, my my, metroid prime 2 is so satisfying to complete.

zma1013

My Top 5 boss fights:

1. (MP1)
Meta-Ridley - An epic boss fight at an epic location with epic stakes that forces you to dip, dodge, duck, dive and dodge all over the place to survive. The rain, the energetic music, the sheer spectacle of it all, and most importantly, I really just enjoy the fight itself. Feels like a dragon fight proper with all the flying and fire breathing and tail dodging. I enjoy the other Ridley fights as well, but they just don't beat the epic-ness of this one.

2. (MP2)
Quadraxis - Giant hulking spider machine with several different forms and patterns you must figure out using all of your abilities. Yes please. If I'm not mistaken, the largest boss encounter in all of the games?

3. (MP2)
Emperor Ing - This crazy mofo is relentless no matter the form and I love it. He is impressively animated and looks wild. Everything is put to the test here, dodging, morphball maneuvering, beam switching, etc etc. Tough as nails but super satisfying once you kill the f#$%er.

4. (MP3)
Gandrayda - My absolute favorite from Corruption as it stands out as to most demanding, most unforgiving boss battle of them all, even if I hate her aethstetic design, but the gameplay is king here. This was the battle that truly solidified the game controls once and for all in my mind where I said to myself, "There is no way you could do this battle with a traditional controller and do it justice." She's flipping around like a purple space Neo on crack; you have to have the speed and precision of the wiimote here moreso than anywhere else. She also has the nifty gift of variety for shape-shifting into the other hunters. I think my hands were sweating after I finally defeated her, that's how crazy this was for me.

5. (MP1)
Metroid Prime - Once again, another final boss where all skills learned in the game are put to the test in one form or the other. The standout part of this fight is the first form, the giant mutated spider shell form that it clearly uses as it's shield and sword. Shit gets real when it starts charging at you for the first time and when you launch that all too important super missile only for it to shift colors and it bounces off harmlessly. Every shot counts in this one.

ivysaur12

Banned
Next episode of Helix to introduce a light and dark world gimmick

lol, it's cute you think there'll be a third season!

:-(

Did anybody else appreciate the jump in graphics from 1,2 to 3 a little bit more this time? Corruption seems to use different graphical effects that make it stand out compared to the earlier games. I finished mp2 and started mp3 right away.

Also, my my, metroid prime 2 is so satisfying to complete.

Agree with all of this. It just looks so SLICK.

Like I said, I for one was glad that Retro changed things up in Corruption as I felt Echoes simply nailed the "Isolation" feel of Metroid perfectly, which they had built upon from the original Prime. So Corruptions more "cinematic" (I guess? It's still not "cinematic" in terms of what I feel the AAA devs like to aim for) approach and having her interact with the GFS Olympus to begin with was a nice change of pace. And I felt it was appropriate given that Corruption was meant to be the "Epic Conclusion" of the Trilogy.

I'm still in Echoes. Enjoying the Sanctuary Fortress so much. It just cannot be said enough how great this world is. So many things to see and so many tiny details in it. The layout is just brilliance.

Let me amend what I meant: It's SO cinematic! ……. for a Metroid game.

EDIT: I hate how simple the energy tanks are to get in Corruption, at least the first 4.

Top Bottom