• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

K' Dash

The Pillbug is actually scannable in the Dynamo Works room; they appear after you beat Spider Guardian. It was a lifesaver for me.

No such luck on Dark Chyyka though.

I honestly didn't remember the "pregnant" Chikka was Dark Chikka :/

I never got to scan the pillbugs, I don't onow how I missed them, I've been slowly going through the game trying not to miss anything.

dLMN8R

Man, there's so much in the original Prime that I forgot. Like, how some key critical path items are so hidden.

For example, it took me a while to find
the door in Phendrana Drifts which leads to the boost ball, and from there you have to find the right ramp in the Tallon Overworld that boosts you up to the room where you can find double jump.

You can get the double jump immediately after the boost ball, but if I hadn't remembered that, it would've taken forever to find it.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was a major drop-off point for the majority of people who played the game!

Man it's so good to revisit the series.
years later and it still FEELS so good to play.

One problem.
i think I may have broke the game.

Playing through prime 1 and I picked up the Artifact of Spirit
from the Security Cave, next to Phendrana Edge
before the Artifact Temple gave me the Scan Entry about it.

I went to the Temple to drop off some Artifacts and got the new Scan entries but the Spirit entry hasn't updated to tell me I found it.

Is this a glitch and will it affect my ability to complete the Artifact collection?

tsab

Man, there's so much in the original Prime that I forgot. Like, how some key critical path items are so hidden.

the door in Phendrana Drifts which leads to the boost ball, and from there you have to find the right ramp in the Tallon Overworld that boosts you up to the room where you can find double jump.

You can get the double jump immediately after the boost ball, but if I hadn't remembered that, it would've taken forever to find it.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was a major drop-off point for the majority of people who played the game!

Actually I AM stuck at this exact point!
not for long

Gambit

So last night I finished Corruption.

Great game, but my least favourite of the Primes. I think it has mostly to do with the ship mechanics. It influences the game a lot more than simply being a means for quick travel. Each area on its own seems much smaller because of it and it never feels like you are exploring "a planet". It would be hyperbole to say they feel like corridors, but they certainly aren't as vast as in previous games.

Together with the computer voice always telling you what to do and which objective to fulfill, it turned the game into "missions".

The bosses are pretty good, but I was slightly disappointed with
Omega Ridley. He looked incredible but was such a push-over. I think I might have lost only two energy tanks with him.

Anyway, I am really glad I finally played and loved the game. The Prime series is something special. Personally, I'd love a new Metroid of course and if it was in the style of Prime I would be ecstatic. However, I'd be at least as happy if Metroid was reinvented again and Retro used the Prime template on a completely different IP.

Final words: Echoes still rules supreme. (It's the Lost Levels, the Super Luigi U to Metroid Prime).

Verger

Banned

That seemed to be the point where it was no longer "obvious" where to go next. The only "callout" they gave after getting the boost ball was the shadow of Ridley moving away from Phendrana towards the exit. I suppose you were meant to infer that they wanted to you use the boost ball in places where you couldn't do so before.

Some people probably like leaving it up to the player at that point where as others who need some kind of hint were probably left a bit clueless.

Prototype

Echoes kind of felt like get 3 keys, get 3 keys, get 3 keys, get 9 keys.

It was still fun and an amazing adventure but Prime 1 and 3 felt less tedious.

Echoes kind of felt like get 3 keys, get 3 keys, get 3 keys, get 9 keys.

It was still fun and an amazing adventure but Prime 1 and 3 felt less tedious.
I agree. Prime 2 for me also got bogged down a lot by overly complicated dark/world mechanics and half the time being in a horrible looking environment that always looked the same and with unpleasant non-music to hear (i.e. Everytime you're kn te dark world).

It's the only Prime game I never once replayed.

Verger

Banned
Cross-post from the Other M thread. But I wanted to put it here as well to open up the dialogue on what people think for the future:

Speaking of returning Prime to Retro. What would be the best way for them to go about it?

I mean in terms of Retro being able to create a financially successful entry? Given the sales, I'd assume that Prime 1 is the only one that was financially successful. Echoes was sadly a sales disappointment comparingly, and Corruption's sales for some reason didn't take off.

First, I don't think they should call it Metroid Prime "4". Heck depending on how things go they should maybe drop the "Prime" completely (
Which will work since Metroid Prime/Dark Samus/Phazon should be dead and gone for good
). I think maybe Metroid Prime 3 didn't do so well because it was "3" and people didn't want to pick it up who either missed/didn't play 2 or even 1.

Second, I think they should definitely avoid releasing on the Wii U. I love the Wii U in terms of the games that are on it, but sales-wise it is a disaster and a financial super risk to develop something for it. I wouldn't want to see Retro making something that has even more potential to not sell well.

Impala26

Second, I think they should definitely avoid releasing on the Wii U. I love the Wii U in terms of the games that are on it, but sales-wise it is a disaster and a financial super risk to develop something for it. I wouldn't want to see Retro making something that has even more potential to not sell well.

Dude...

Metroid Fusion 2 for the 3DS

Kind of agree with you about the Wii U solely based on a marketing perspective. It's unfortunate because I think Retro could do some pretty interesting gameplay mechanics with that Wii U touchpad. But they might be better off holding off for a few more years to potentially be a launch title for (God-willing) Nintendo's next console entry.

Verger

Banned
Calling it Metroid Dread would surely win back some good will with fans.
That was always a very strange occurrence. It was something that Nintendo was always coy about. I forget how it was initially revealed, whether through press packets (real or fake) or some other cryptic comment, but I remember Nintendo would always continue to dance around it.

I do feel that Metroid does need a new subtitle. Metroid Prime 4 could work as a code-name or internal name for the project, but the actual final title should be something new.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
You guys seem to forget that a large number of Metroid prime sales were from when it was bundled with the gamecube. Looking at old sales numbers rarely mentions this.

Verger

Banned
You guys seem to forget that a large number of Metroid prime sales were from when it was bundled with the gamecube. Looking at old sales numbers rarely mentions this.
Well gee, I completely forgot about any bundles or that Prime 1 was part of a bundle and that those numbers are reflected in Prime's total sales.

I guess it wasn't much of a seller then :(

Retro needs better selling games :(

Ahnez

That was always a very strange occurrence. It was something that Nintendo was always coy about. I forget how it was initially revealed, whether through press packets (real or fake) or some other cryptic comment, but I remember Nintendo would always continue to dance around it.

I do feel that Metroid does need a new subtitle. Metroid Prime 4 could work as a code-name or internal name for the project, but the actual final title should be something new.

Metroid Prime 4: (subtitle)

Just like MP2: Echoes and MP3: Corruption :)

ghibli99

Third time buying these games, and this time I hope to actually play/finish them. LOL Crazy, crazy deal at that $10 promo price.

ivysaur12

Banned
Oh my god, in Echoes, I finally beat
the Super Bomb Guardian. I never made it past the Boost Guardian before hand and I have to say, Sanctuary Fortress might be one of my favorite Metroid levels ever.

It does feel like there's a LOT less backtracking in this game (though there are two items so far that have required you to go back to previous levels without much of a hint as to where they might be). I hear this eventually goes away, but so far, I'm loving the adventure.

Verger

Banned
I honestly really love Aether I think more than Tallon as a planetary environment. I mean, Tallon is great do not get me wrong with so many different sights.

But Aether I think is constructed just so much more complex and detailed, and that's before you get into the juxtaposition of both the "Light" and "Dark" worlds. I am in Agon now and even though the environment may be considered "Boring" by many due to being a wasteland, I really enjoy digging into the details like all the Luminoth architecture and Flora in the area (like those blue holographic looking trees which stand out).

I often wondered why Aether seemed to react differently to
being hit by a Leviathan than any of the other planets which didn't "split" into parts. But I guess that could be attributed to the special Planetary energy that the Luminoth talk about and what you are gathering for them. Which may be what also helped to create the Ing

But yeah, the Sanctuary Fortress is pretty much the pinnacle of level design. Such an amazing place.

Metroid Prime 4: (subtitle)

Just like MP2: Echoes and MP3: Corruption :)

Nah. Prime is the Phazon trilogy. As of Corruption, Phazon is done and over. I mean I'm sure they could find a way to bring it back, but I'd rather they didn't.

New game needs a new title and a new threat.

Ocaso

I honestly really love Aether I think more than Tallon as a planetary environment. I mean, Tallon is great do not get me wrong with so many different sights.

But Aether I think is constructed just so much more complex and detailed, and that's before you get into the juxtaposition of both the "Light" and "Dark" worlds. I am in Agon now and even though the environment may be considered "Boring" by many due to being a wasteland, I really enjoy digging into the details like all the Luminoth architecture and Flora in the area (like those blue holographic looking trees which stand out).

I often wondered why Aether seemed to react differently to
being hit by a Leviathan than any of the other planets which didn't "split" into parts. But I guess that could be attributed to the special Planetary energy that the Luminoth talk about and what you are gathering for them. Which may be what also helped to create the Ing

But yeah, the Sanctuary Fortress is pretty much the pinnacle of level design. Such an amazing place.

Aether is infinitely more distinctive than Tallon IV which, disappointingly, is more Earth-like than any Metroid planet in the franchise. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful, and the environments are still captivating, but not in a way the way Zebes was in Super. Aether definitely came closer to that feeling and I love it for it.

Ahnez

Nah. Prime is the Phazon trilogy. As of Corruption, Phazon is done and over. I mean I'm sure they could find a way to bring it back, but I'd rather they didn't.

New game needs a new title and a new threat.

Well, there is the MP3 secret ending..

The ship in the ending. It was light blue, much like Phazon, and followed Samus' ship.

MP1 and MP2 secret endings both were Dark Samus, so it might mean that she is, somehow, still alive

Verger

Banned
You know, if there won't be a Metroid Prime HD remaster. I would certainly love it if in the next game you could visit the previous worlds. :)

Imagine returning to Phendrana on Tallon in a next-gen game, or revisiting the Sanctuary Fortress on Aether, and Skytown Elysia? Obviously not the full worlds, but just those specific places.
Aether is infinitely more distinctive than Tallon IV which, disappointingly, is more Earth-like than any Metroid planet in the franchise. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful, and the environments are still captivating, but not in a way the way Zebes was in Super. Aether definitely came closer to that feeling and I love it for it.
My preferences exactly. Tallon was more "Generic?" (I hate using that word in this case) "Traditional?" in terms of its locations. You had the Lava World in Magmoor, the Ice World in Phendrana, the Forest/Water world in Overworld, the Ancient Ruins in the Chozo, and the Industrial complex/caves in the Phazon mines. They were unique takes on those themes, but still those themes nonetheless.

ChaosXVI

I can't imagine them retaining the "Prime" subtitle if they ended up making another Metroid, even if it's another FPA. Storywise it wouldn't make sense, though I suppose that didn't stop NST from using it for Hunters when that game's story had nothing to do with Metroid Prime/Dark Samus.

I do think there is potential for Metroid to be a good seller...but sadly I just don't see it happening if it's on Wii U. I mean Smash and Mario Kart are the console's greatest successes, and they're each around 2 million (?) or so. No way a Metroid comes even close to those numbers...sad as I am to say it.

...But should the light of Aether shine upon me, and a new Metroid from Retro is made at some point, I'd of course receive it with open arms.

Verger

Banned
I do think there is potential for Metroid to be a good seller...but sadly I just don't see it happening if it's on Wii U. I mean Smash and Mario Kart are the console's greatest successes, and they're each around 2 million (?) or so. No way a Metroid comes even close to those numbers...sad as I am to say it.

...But should the light of Aether shine upon me, and a new Metroid from Retro is made at some point, I'd of course receive it with open arms.
Yeah, that's why I do not want it on the Wii U. Especially after the depressing sales returns of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, a superior game than the original, only selling a few hundred thousand units last year.

Retro very much needs a good seller, especially considering a next-gen/HD Metroid Prime-type game would require a lot of money to create the high quality in-game assets they would need.

ChaosXVI

Yeah, that's why I do not want it on the Wii U. Especially after the depressing sales returns of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, a superior game than the original, only selling a few hundred thousand units last year.

Retro very much needs a good seller, especially considering a next-gen/HD Metroid Prime-type game would require a lot of money to create the high quality in-game assets they would need.

It just makes me wonder what Retro could be making, if they really can operate without NCL dictating what they make, then there's no reason they couldn't make a new Metroid...but financially it just wouldn't make sense.

...But then again, what the hell could they make that would make financial sense? DKC:TF, my GOTY 2014, was probably expected to sell shitloads like the first one did but it sold terribly. What else is there?

I guess there's always that Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumor...I'd take it!

I was going to write about how it doesn't feel right to call any of them "The Worst" because they're all pretty much amazing games.

Echoes gets a lot of flak in certain circles due to its difficulty and having to navigate Dark Aether. I personally find those things quite appealing and feel that each of the Prime games has its own ways in which it does things just right.

Prime 1 gets the accolades for being the first and for pretty much translating something like Super Metroid into 3D. The interconnectivity of the world is spot on and they crammed in so many diverse environments.

Prime 2 I hail as a more refined experience which both ramps up the difficulty for those who played through the original, as well as creating even more complex level designs and "alien" locales. Aether to me felt like a more "alien" world than Tallon IV, whose environments were pretty boilerplate with Ice, Lava, Forest and Caves and so on. The Lore in Prime 2 is also better written with the plight of the Luminoth feeling more "grounded" than that of the Chozo.

Prime 3 is great due to refining the controls with the motion and pointer aspects as well as creating a ton of diverse environments for Samus to visit. And again they continue to refine the core systems like the Lore and adding in gameplay elements using the Pointer (I really loved the welding) to create more immersive experience. It also has the most amount of awesome Boss battles in the series

Heh, didn't someone joke that it felt like Retro's designers must have gone to NASA or something to have come up with so many complex Spider Ball puzzles. They're really something else.

For sure. Though, the lower levels of the Phazon Mines and the Impact Crater felt more alien than anything in Echoes to me. But I feel Corruption took it to another level with the bizarre deformed mushrooms on Bryyo, the insanely detailed and intricate floating pods on Elysia, the polluted, technoindustrial Pirate Homeworld, and of course,
Phaaze

Agreed. Not easy, but still a manageable boss...

Now the Boost Ball and Spider Ball Guardians?
Fuck those guys.

Luckily for people that hated them, Retro cheesed their difficulty for the Trilogy.

This game made me love the morph ball so fucking much I swear. I was so sad when it wasn't utilized as much in Prime 3. Also, Dark Suit morph ball with the Luminoth runes (to show you got the spider ball) is so fucking slick looking. Not as awesome as glowing marble spider balls + suit colors from Prime 1 but pretty up there nonetheless.

Prime 3 did add one amazing thing with it though... Bowling!

ChaosXVI

Playing through these games again is reminding me just how amazing they are. I can't believe we got another DK over Metroid.

Hey now, that DK ended up being one of the best games of 2014, and ran circles around the first game in a variety of ways, most obvious being music.

If Retro thinks its time for a gritty reboot of Ice Climbers, I'm all for it, because they'll make it amazing. I'd love another Metroid from Retro, but all that butthurt that happened when DKC:TF was announced was completely unwarranted.

You know sometimes I'm glad Nintendo doesn't listen to fans

Verger

Banned
Playing through these games again is reminding me just how amazing they are. I can't believe we got another DK over Metroid.
As has been noted. Donkey Kong Country Returns sold more than the entire Prime Trilogy combined when final tallies are taken. It would have been crazy not to push forward with another game.

So Tropical Freeze's disappointing sales are that much more shocking since it hasn't even cracked a million yet the original is closing in on 6 million with the 3DS version taken into account. Which is why Retro needs a good seller.
You know sometimes I'm glad Nintendo doesn't listen to fans
So you want them to release a game with an uncertain sales-potential on a system whose best-selling titles are just a couple of million and are big names like Smash/Mario Kart?

As has been noted. Donkey Kong Country Returns sold more than the entire Prime Trilogy combined when final tallies are taken. It would have been crazy not to push forward with another game.

So Tropical Freeze's disappointing sales are that much more shocking since it hasn't even cracked a million yet the original is closing in on 6 million with the 3DS version taken into account. Which is why Retro needs a good seller.

So you want them to release a game with an uncertain sales-potential on a system whose best-selling titles are just a couple of million and are big names like Smash/Mario Kart?

On the previous page there is the latest sales data from Nintendo themselves. The Wii version alone is over 6.5 million and the 3DS with over 1.5 million. 8 million is damn impressive. It deserves it though, DKCR was fantastic.

ChaosXVI

On the previous page there is the latest sales data from Nintendo themselves. The Wii version alone is over 6.5 million and the 3DS with over 1.5 million. 8 million is damn impressive. It deserves it though, DKCR was fantastic.

Even more reason for them to have made another one...I can only imagine the shit fit that NCL must've had when DKC:TF bombed when it seemingly should have been a sure thing.

K' Dash

Emperor Ing kicked my ass to another dimension last night, I did so bad that I don't even want to pick the Wiimote to replay it, lol

Canon

Banned
Phazon mines is so bad. Long stretch with no save points, had to redo 1 hour worth of stuff.

Otherwise it's a great game.

Even more reason for them to have made another one...I can only imagine the shit fit that NCL must've had when DKC:TF bombed when it seemingly should have been a sure thing.

You don't have to convince me. I was thrilled to get a sequel from Retro. But I don't think Nintendo had any though of it selling what Returns did, considering the difference in install base. I'm sure they are probably disappointed that it hasn't even done a million yet though, as am I. Great games deserve to do well.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
honestly, retro deserves a huge launch title to bring us into a new generation SM64-style. I can't even imagine the levels of hype i'd have to get a brand new console alongside a retro game. Sweet mother....

I'm perfectly ok with them missing the WiiU in favor of more time and better tech.

Emperor Ing kicked my ass to another dimension last night, I did so bad that I don't even want to pick the Wiimote to replay it, lol

He's tough. A few tips for his final form;

-Use a super missile when he's glowing orange

-Use charged light beam shots when he's glowing purple

-Use individual annihilator beam shots when he's glowing white

As much as I personally would love for Retro's next game to be on the Wii U, I think the smart thing would be to make it a launch title for their next console. Given that it takes them an average of 3 years to make games, that would put their next game at 2017, which is right around when I expect Nintendo will be putting out their next console, so it lines up just right.

As much as I personally would love for Retro's next game to be on the Wii U, I think the smart thing would be to make it a launch title for their next console. Given that it takes them an average of 3 years to make games, that would put their next game at 2017, which is right around when I expect Nintendo will be putting out their next console, so it lines up just right.

They finished TF in November, but it was held back purposely. They also confirmed that a new project started right away. This would be in contrast to after Corruption, they experimented with several months worth of ideas before moving on to Donkey Kong, and after Returns, their focus was on Mario Kart 7 for quite a while. We might see their next project sooner rather than later this time... Maybe haha.

I finished Prime 1 today.

I was trying to 100% it for the first time but found out I missed
Flaahgra Tentacle
after I had reached the end game.

I didn't even think to try and scan that. :(

It's still an amazing game. I can't believe this game is over 12 years old already.

I'm nearing the end of the first Metroid Prime and although I've loved the game so far, the color-coded enemies really make the late-game combat a complete chore.

I would much rather have enemies with different behaviors than the same ones reskinned 4 times just for the sake of forcing you to constantly switch beams. So fucking annoying...

Astral Dog

I would love another Metroid from Retro, but Tropical Freeze gets a lot of unnecessary bashing because its not Metroid

I can believe Retro would want to make another DKC after Returns.

Iolo

I'm nearing the end of the first Metroid Prime and although I've loved the game so far, the color-coded enemies really make the late-game combat a complete chore.

I would much rather have enemies with different behaviors than the same ones reskinned 4 times just for the sake of forcing you to constantly switch beams. So fucking annoying...

Beam switching was much easier (to me) with the Gamecube controller... it is one drawback of the otherwise improved pointer controls.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Just finished blowing through the first couple hours of Prime 1. Beat Flaahgra and went down to magmoor.

Positives:
- Prime 1 has a phenomenal introduction. The space frigate slowly introduces material, presents you with damaged enemies that are easy to take out, creates a unnerving atmosphere with tons of details, sets up the story as a continuation of Samus' saga (aka the hunter or person in metal or whatever by the space pirates), and it has an excellent evacuation that builds the energy right before a complete decompression once you land on Tallon IV. Beautiful. 10/10
- Gorgeous world building. The environments are stunning even to this day. Especially the flora and its interaction with the world.
- Scanning remains a joy to this day. I love reading all the details and learning some past events with some great foreshadowing. It turns it into a drama-of-sorts. Love it.
- Platforming. Prime is still the epitome of platforming for the FPS genre (hilariously). Samus handles beautifully.
- Pacing of the early Chozo ruins is unmatched in the rest of the game (I believe). Upgrades come quickly, bosses and checkmarks are frequent, and you really feel like you're encountering/overcoming a lot of obstacles/puzzles/challenges very rapidly.

Negaties:
- Way too many wasp-based bosses in the beginning. Just circling around and moving everywhere... god they're obnoxious. Firing "a" rapidly to catch a wasp off guard was very uncomfortable and killing one is not as gratifying as it should be... it's just GOD DAMN IT GET AWAY!!
- Enemy design in general is a little weak. Pirates stand and shoot, those underground beetle things just walk around, the zoomers just await their doom, etc. etc. Not the most engaging enemies. I found this to be true of DKR as well... I really feel the enemies in TP were some of the best Retro has created (outside of their near-consistency of phenomenal boss fights), so I'm hopeful for better enemies in general from them.
- Textures. Some of these textures need serious updates.

Overall, Prime 1 rocks my socks.

Phazon mines is so bad. Long stretch with no save points, had to redo 1 hour worth of stuff.

Otherwise it's a great game.

I was annoyed by how spaced apart the save points were as well.

The moment I made it to the Phazon Mines is when the game became really tedious to me.

Verger

Banned
I am stoked you guys love it, but outside of Mario platformers just don't do anything for me anymore.
That is ok. Even though I love DKCR and Tropical Freeze even more, I too would still mostly prefer if Retro went back to Metroid.

It's actually interesting to think about what Retro should do now. Will they complete another "Trilogy" in DKCR? Despite TF's low sales? (At least Prime 2's low sales didn't deter a Prime 3) or will they try something new?

Someone mentioned that DKCRTF was actually completed in very late 2013 but held off until early 214 for release. That means that Retro has to have been working on something for a year now.

It will also depend on what Nintendo's timetable is in regards to a new console. If they hold to the 5-year cycle then the next console will be due Fall 2017. Unless they somehow decide to release early in 2016, then were Retro to do a "launch game" they'd have just under 3 years at most or 2 to develop a game (on top of the one year they've had so far).

Obviously they can still release one more title on the Wii U. I would just worry about their potential sales given how TF performed.
Beam switching was much easier (to me) with the Gamecube controller... it is one drawback of the otherwise improved pointer controls.
The beam switching was definitely more intuitive with the C-Stick of the GC Controlller than how it was implemented on the Wii remote, it's definitely the bad part of the new control scheme.

dLMN8R

I just got the
power bomb
in the Phazon Mines. Man I already got stuck a few times!

After I got the
ice beam
I got totally lost. I ended up going through the
crashed ship before I got the gravity suit
, which was just totally annoying and painful. But I finally got the
gravity suit
and proceeded into the mines.

I completely forgot how much this game exhibited my absolute favorite Metroid trait - this idea that you think you've explored an entire area, but you haven't even scratched the surface.

It's one thing when there's many doors you can't open, or obviously big areas you can't explore yet. But it's quite another when you think you've explored an entire level but it turns out there's 2-3x more of it left to go, and you don't discover it until hours later. Such as in
the tallon overworld with the ship and the chozo mines with the chozo ruins, hidden behind the Furnace.

Damn the level design is just unbelievable.

Top Bottom