• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

METROID speedrun marathon <April 12-13>

akaoni

Banned
Stream; http://twitch.tv/ludendi
Info: http://goo.gl/81WgjN
"We are hosting a Metroid Speedrunning Marathon, where we host an online marathon with variety of speedrunners running almost every metroid game, with many categories! We do not have a charity, and are just doing this for fun and to showcase these great speedruns! We will be streaming on twitch.tv/ludendi so please follow that channel to be notified of when the marathon begins!

Also please let as many people as possible know about this marathon! Share the Info URL!

Below is the schedule of the Metroid Speedrunning Marathon, with the respective runners and commentators. The time estimates are over-estimates to account for set-up time and possibilities of mistakes in the runs.

Thank you very much, and I hope you enjoy our Metroid Speedrunning Marathon!"

Wcy5vi1.png

Found this via; http://metroid2remake.blogspot.co.uk/
Was checking this as I have been doing for the past 7 or so years now, the next major update to the demo will be one of the games played.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Only thing missing, as far as I can tell, is Metroid Prime: Hunters - First Hunt. Though as they are doing the full game, that may be redundant.

Anyway, this ought to be fun. Especially the commentary for Return of Samus.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Will try and watch some. I did a normal run through of Metroid + SM for GAF a year or so ago that I streamed. I'm slow and prodding though vs these dudes!

Just set some new Metroid theme wallpaper on my desktop too!

kick51

Banned
somebody runs Pinball?! that's awesome.

all of these should be a good watch.

Is Other M just plain NG (i.e. unskippable cutscenes)? regardless, i think it has some neat out of bounds stuff.

KarmaCow

Prime 2 speed runs are always fun because how they utterly break the game. Half of the runs are spent outside the map.

I've never seen a Metroid II run for some reason, is there anything interesting about it? I know you can bypass one of the lava roadblocks with enough health but I don't know much about it. It was my first Metroid game way back when and it left a bad taste because of the spider ball being so boring.

akaoni

Banned
For a minute I thought nobody cared before the first reply came! The AM2R post says that the event will be on the Twitch front page so people might take notice then. There's a countdown to the release of the new demo v1.3 (from 1.21), so I assume it's big even being given a run that's 1 hour long. Haven't tried it myself though since I don't want to spoil it after all this patience.

NotLiquid

Despite my insane hatred for the game I'm pretty interested in seeing Other M getting a speedrun. Aren't there little to no sequence breaks in that game, along with a lot of scripted and confined segments slowing things down? I'm interested to see what can be done with it at the very least.

Toxi

Banned
Definitely watching. Only 3 days left.
Despite my insane hatred for the game I'm pretty interested in seeing Other M getting a speedrun. Aren't there little to no sequence breaks in that game, along with a lot of scripted and confined segments slowing things down? I'm interested to see what can be done with it at the very least.
There's one sequence break I know of that involves getting to a powerup early without the Shinespark, but it's a bit pointless because it's just for a missile or energy tank. I haven't really kept up to date on sequence breaking.

I'm guessing the tricks here will be related to speeding up combat, but I might be surprised.

T.O.P

Banned
Prime - Fusion - Super Metroid are the one i watched from the various AGDQ

Interested in Other M gotta say

Madao

somebody runs Pinball?! that's awesome.

all of these should be a good watch.

Is Other M just plain NG (i.e. unskippable cutscenes)? regardless, i think it has some neat out of bounds stuff.

i offered pinball on a whim since they didn't have other people for it and i have 3DS capture to do it. hopefully i get a decent run there since the RNG is heavy in that game.

poodpick

It would have been cool if they split up the runs instead of having the same game consecutively with different parameters

Not having any space between "estimated completion" and when the next game starts is fairly brave, especially on those 100% runs, unless their estimated completion already has a margin of error built into them.

Linkark07

Banned
So yeah... I don't follow Metroid speedrunning sequences so much... How does the streamer right now has the Light Suit while he is fighting Chykka? I know you can skip the Dark Suit but haven't heard you can get the Light Suit so fast

Rezbit

Nice, haven't really kept up with the community for a while but all those runners are really great. Zoasty and Kottpower are beasts at Super. Also highly recommend the Zero Mission low% hard....it's a real butt-clencher.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Always a fun time during a marathon when the co-commentator goes, "wait... what!?"

Nice, haven't really kept up with the community for a while but all those runners are really great. Zoasty and Kottpower are beasts at Super. Also highly recommend the Zero Mission low% hard....it's a real butt-clencher.

Yeah I kinda want to stay up and screw up my sleeping schedule for the Zero Mission runs because I love the shit out of the game, but I don't think it's worth it when the runs should (hopefully) appear elsewhere sometime later.

JudgeN

Wonder why you never see a RBO speed run of super metroid on these streams. I know there dangerous but they are way more exciting then some ofriends the other categories.

Madao

Not having any space between "estimated completion" and when the next game starts is fairly brave, especially on those 100% runs, unless their estimated completion already has a margin of error built into them.

the estimates already have margin of error + setup time included.

Spawn tactics in NES Metroid are absolutely crazy. 'Kill this Ripper in the middle of this long shaft, which then will make a Skree spawn in a certain useable spot in the next room...'

Amazing

Top Bottom