• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

METROID speedrun marathon <April 12-13>

oatmeal

Banned
Not deeply invested in the whole speed run community, but as far as I know Retro kinda went out of their way to eliminate sequence breaking in MP3.

Ugh.

I knew there was a reason I only played it for an hour or two before dropping it forever.

thouhg I do want to go back to it again...

Stoze

Damn, Metroid Prime 3 really stands out on there.

4:45??!

Yeah, it's funny because it's easily the shortest Prime game when playing through casually.
I've never seen a run of it but I'm guessing it's longer because its linearity prevents skips, it's more recent and polished so less glitches, and not as optimized because it's not run by many people. I'll have to check it out because it's one of the few I haven't seen speedrun footage of.

akaoni

Banned
Spawn tactics in NES Metroid are absolutely crazy. 'Kill this Ripper in the middle of this long shaft, which then will make a Skree spawn in a certain useable spot in the next room...'

Amazing

I just wouldn't want to be the person finding out initially how to manipulate the values in the background like that.

Stoze

Baha holy shit the major Doppler effect on the ingame audio and music is making me crack up. Got some audio issues.

Oidisco

Man AM2R looks fantastic. I haven't played any of the demos yet and this getting me really hyped for its release!

Toxi

Banned
Ha, the Prime Pinball speedrun is hilarious. He's playing as Super Sonic and trying to win the world series. Game was nominated for an oscar for best supporting cast.

EDIT: Prime's starting!

Toxi

Banned
Awesome track yeah, for some reason it never struck with me back when the game released, but probably because you only listened to it for 30 seconds :p
I'm not a fan, so it's always the worst part for me. :p

Also, I just learned you can jump over the fight trigger for the Phendrana flying pirate encounter. Wow, I can't believe I missed that.

Super Metroid up next!!! Corruption was really awesome to watch, haven't played that game in quite some time. Time to finally buy the trilogy I guess...

Oidisco

This was pretty fun. The stream quality was pretty poor and was kinda annoying, though when it messed up the music it was hilarious! The final note during the Item Collection screen at the very end of the marathon was just perfect!

Not Aaron

Neo Member
Hey, guys... I'm amhite, the runner for Metroid Prime: Hunters. I had a really embarrassing run... I was out of practice and nervous as hell. I got a 1:33 in-game time (and went over the 1:40 estimate, which is real-time). I've been practicing a lot recently on my stream and got a 1:22:21 in-game time last night. >10 min. improvement. Sorry to all of you who had to watch my run during that marathon. Next year will be better. I promise.

Also, on behalf of the amazing guys who set up the marathon, ran it, and ran in it, I want to thank you all for watching it. It meant a lot to every one involved in the marathon.

Also, I'd just like to say... 1:22:21 is only 2'57" slower than my segmented run for MPH 100%, so I am very happy with where I am at right now. Next year will be better. I promise. Not that you guys probably care. Ha. MPH is such a bad game. XD But... yeah, I'm sure you all expected more. I apologize.

Top Bottom