• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Zero Mission//MvDK

Yea, I just got this today and it's like the best game I've ever played. It's based off of Metroid I right? I've never played any of em cept Prime. The game has great pacing, and everything seems to move very fast compared to similar games. The first encounter with the snake thing scared the hell out of me. I just got to my ship. Why did I start in the middle of a cave and why is my ship below me on the map?

Also, I played MvDK quite a bit at work after getting it yesterday. This game kinda sucks, especially compared to 94. I got to like neoncity world or whatever. Who stuck their lasers in my Mario? The switch gameplay is kinda annoying, and I don't know how many times I've died because you can't hold onto ropes after backflip/handstand. Other than that, the graphics look great and the intro is probably the best I've ever seen from Nintendo. But it's not very fun. I hope the extra or the plus or whatever it is are better. So far I've only been impressed by one or two levels.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, Zero Mission is a fantastic game. With one exception, but you'll see.

Pick up Metroid Fusion, too. And Super Metroid, which is my favourite, if you can swing it.

My only gripe with Zero Mission is that most of it is too familiar. Super Metroid covered so much of the same terrain that it was almost half remake. Zero Mission does have a great deal of new content, but I like Super Metroid more overall. It still felt like i was paying full price for a game that I already owned half of.

Still, a portable remake of Metroid that strongly resembles Super Metroid is a great thing, especially with the cool bonuses.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
You better downl. . .errrm, buy Super Metroid off ebay or something. If you liked Zero Mission then you're in a for a treat.

Yeah, Zero Mission is a fantastic game. With one exception, but you'll see
I assume you mean the "stealth" part. It wasn't too bad, besides it was pretty bad-ass when you got your suit back and blasted through all of the enemies that spanked you on the way up, hehe.

Socreges

Banned
Justin Bailey said:
I assume you mean the "stealth" part. It wasn't too bad, besides it was pretty bad-ass when you got your suit back and blasted through all of the enemies that spanked you on the way up, hehe.
I meant, an exception to the game being fantastic. That part isn't bad - even a little fun.

Zero Mission has what may be the best stealth in any 2D game. The enemies are often difficult to hide from and are quite relentless if they see you. I have never played a 2D game with enemies that chase you so relentlessly. I love how they are always right behind you

Mario VS Donkey Kong doesn't feel quite right controlwise, but I actually like it better than Donkey Kong '94. It had many more levels and was much more challenging, even though it did lack the awesome girder/ladder puzzles, but it replaced those with new puzzles and classic Mario enemies. The Lemmings-esque levels are awesome, although I do miss the 4th level classic Donkey Kong style boards.

snapty00

Banned
Zero Mission is, by far, the best Metroid game ever and one of my all-time favorites. It doesn't make you go anywhere, but it tells you where to go to advance, so getting lost isn't a big deal. It's also very fast-paced, so you don't feel like the game is giving you "busy work" just to extend the length of the game. The game was good enough that I felt that it ended too quickly, and that doesn't happen very often, anymore; usually, I get tired of games about 40% of the way through nowadays and just quit. I say all this as a person who hated Metroid for NES and Metroid II for Game Boy and as a person who additionally wasn't particularly fond of Super Metroid for Super NES.

I did not like the <beep> part, though. It would've been okay, but it was too long. It got where I was just started to be more annoyed than anything else.

I also think that the Hard Mode is a little too difficult, but that's a minor complaint, especially since the difficulty of the first mode is nearly perfect.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong, on the other hand, I don't like. I also didn't like the original for Game Boy. I like platform games (like Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong, and Metroid), and I like puzzle games (like Tetris, Puyo Pop, and Dr. Mario), but I do not like action-puzzle games. It's like the creators wanted it to be a puzzle game, but they knew that alone wouldn't sell well, so Donkey Kong and Mario had to be added in the last minute to make it seem like a platform game for the masses.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I thought that Metroid Zero Mission had incredible production values for a GBA title. The graphics, the music, and most noticably, the amazing animation really cemeted what first-party titles are all about. I can't think of any point where the game stagnated, as it kept me coming back to it. My only beef would be the same as many others in saying that the game was
too short
, but I guess Metroid Prime ruined me in that respect.

Top Bottom