• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mexican Teenager Returns Home After Texas Woman Forces Her to US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syriel

Holy crap at what this poor girl had to go through. And damn impressive to keep fighting until she got home.

A HUGE failure of both the US State department and the Mexican judge who sided with the Texan woman.

Summary:

• Dorotea Garcia (Texas woman) had her daughter kidnapped by her ex in 2007.
  • Kidnapped girl also has the same first name (Alondra).
  • Garcia reported she had found her "daughter" in Mexico.
  • Garcia got US authorities to involve Interpol.
  • Interpol had Mexican authorities pull Alondra Luna Nunez out of school and take her to a judge in a neighboring Mexican state.
  • Garcia presented documents which claimed Nunez was her kidnapped daughter.
  • Nunez's birth mother showed her birth certificate and other documents.
  • Nunez insisted she was not Garcia's daughter.
  • Judge ruled in favor of Garcia.
  • Garcia brought Nunez to Texas against her will.
  • Nunez was released to her parents after she managed to contact the Mexican embassy and demand a DNA test to prove she wasn't Garcia's daughter.

GUANAJUATO, Mexico — A 14-year-old Mexican girl who was taken by authorities and sent screaming to live in the United States was returned home Wednesday after DNA tests showed she is not the daughter of the Houston woman who claimed her.

The case of Alondra Luna Nunez drew international attention after a video of the distraught girl being forced into a police vehicle last week circulated.

The Foreign Ministry said Mexican officials were carrying out a court order to send Alondra to Dorotea Garcia, a Houston woman who claimed the girl was her daughter who had been illegally taken to Mexico by her father years ago. Alondra's family insisted authorities were mistaken but their pleas were ignored.

State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said U.S. officials had encouraged "timely processing of this case through appropriate government channels." It was not clear what further action, if any, the department might take on the matter.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/alondra-luna-nunez-mexican-teen-forcibly-sent-u-s-allowed-n346696

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...not-the-daughter-of-texan-woman-10198057.html

infi

How come a DNA test wasn't done in the first place? Surely it would be standard procedure in a case like this.

Cheebo

Banned
Why didnt the mom just say "Hey, thats not my daughter" the second she was found?

The mom (and her actual daughter) is the real victim here regardless, her daughter is still presumably kidnapped. At least this girl got to go home.

Syriel

How. Why? How could she do that and why did she think she was her daughter?!

The "how" is what everyone is asking.

As for why she thought it was her daughter:

In an interview with KPRC-TV of Houston, Dorotea Garcia says that when she first saw Alondra Luna, in her words, "I saw my daughter."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/houston-area-woman-accepts-findings-girl-daughter-30515048

Who is this woman that she has so much pull to simply claim that a random girl is her daughter and have authorities jump through hoops?

The worst part of it all is that her actual daughter is still out there.

NimbusD

This is insane. There's so many details I need to know about this, like, how the hell did the mother who stole someone else's kid not realize it wasn't her kid? Where's the original missing girl? Did they not have pictures of her to compare with the mexican girl they just snatched from Mexico? I need to dig deeper.

Why didnt the mom just say "Hey, thats not my daughter" the second she was found?

The mom (and her actual daughter) is the real victim here regardless, her daughter is still presumably kidnapped. At least this girl got to go home.

She basically used the court system to kidnap a child. She wanted the child despite the fact that it wasn't really hers. Or maybe she thought it really was her child since her actual child is missing. The mom is a victim because her real daughter was kidnapped, but, she's the kidnapper to the child from Mexico.

SimleuqiR

The "how" is what everyone is asking.

As for why she thought it was her daughter:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/houston-area-woman-accepts-findings-girl-daughter-30515048

Who is this woman that she has so much pull to simply claim that a random girl is her daughter and have authorities jump through hoops?

The worst part of it all is that her actual daughter is still out there.

I think there was more than just a "because she looks like my daughter". At least the Univision had a segment where they explained that there was a connection between the missing girl's father and the father of this girl taken into the USA.

http://noticias.univision.com/artic...gresa-a-mexico-prueba-de-adn-resulto-negativa

La mujer que reside en Texas, Dorotea García, reclamaba a Alondra como su hija por una cicatriz que tiene entre las cejas. Sin embargo, Susana Núñez, la mujer que crió a la menor, afirma que las autoridades la confundieron con otra niña también llamada Alondra Díaz, de 13 años que radica en Michoacán junto a su padre, Reynaldo Díaz, en el estado de Michoacán.

There was enough there for the possibility of her being the missing girl.

Dorotea García, la mujer que reside en EEUU, asegura que Alondra es su hija por una cicatriz que tiene entre las cejas pero la confunde con otra menor también llamada Alondra Díaz, de 13 años, según afirma Susana Núñez.
El papá de Alondra Luna indicó que al parecer la niña a la que buscan vivía en el estado de Michoacán junto con su padre, identificado como Reynaldo Díaz, de quien se desconoce su paradero.

Girl had the same name, similar scar, and lived in the same town.

Syriel

The "Mom" was the one who saw Nunez and insisted to authorities that Nunez was her long missing daughter. This wouldn't have happened if Garcia didn't make the claims.

Tagyhag

I assume that having her daughter kidnapped took a toll on her. I believe she truly thought that was her daughter.

But it's insane that a DNA test wasn't administered. That girl has to be compensated but we know she won't.

Ishida

Banned
Not straight up kidnapping... The woman may have genuinely thought it was her daughter. Still mostly kidnapping though.

Well, the girl was taken away and held against her will, without any proof that she was actually that woman's daughter... I'd call that a full kidnapping.

I read in another article that the documents the Nunez family showed the court to prove she was not Garcia's daughter were not authentic. That is the main reason the judge ruled in favor of Garcia.

Still doesn't explain why a DNA test wan't the first thing they did.

Kieli

Either I'm stupid, or the OP is worded very poorly.

Tell me if this is gist.

American mother's daughter was kidnapped.

American mother forces another person who has the same name as her daughter back to America.

This person is not actually American mother's daughter.

infi

Either I'm stupid, or the OP is worded very poorly.

Tell me if this is gist.

American mother's daughter was kidnapped.

American mother forces another person who has the same name as her daughter back to America.

This person is not actually American mother's daughter.

Yeah, that's correct

unsightly

latest

bengraven

Wow, I read the title wrong.

I thought it was about how a Mexican girl comes over the border and a Minute Man like woman forced to cross back over the border and Fox News was going to hail the woman as a hero.

Effect

How come a DNA test wasn't done in the first place? Surely it would be standard procedure in a case like this.

This!!! This should have been the first thing that was done before taking anyone anywhere. What the hell made the Texas's woman's documents more accepted then actual birth certificate the mother of the girl produced is also something I'd like to know. All of this is crazy.

The girl ate the lady's bus accident and all the lady wanted to do was turn her into a book. :( At least the lady has many good anuses ahead of her.

I do hope the lady is one day reunited with her daughter.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Just saw on the news that they found the real daughter and she's being reunited with her mom this week.

Alondra Díaz, Real Kidnapping Victim, Returned To Mother After 8 Years

Alondra Díaz' kidnapping was not the work of an anonymous predator but the consequence of a custody dispute between her parents. Alondra's father Reynaldo Díaz, who is Mexican, fled the U.S. after picking her up in 2007 for what was supposed to be a short visit. Alondra's mother Dorotea Garcia, who lives in the U.S. had primary legal custody of the the girl. She will be reunited with her daughter this week after 8 years following pressure on the father to return Alondra. The handoff was reportedly negotiated with the help of Juan Manuel Estrada, president of FIND, a Mexico-based organization that advocates for kidnapped and missing children.

“At the beginning, [Mr. Díaz] was reluctant,” Estrada said but eventually “he voluntarily agreed to return the girl,” adding that Mr. Díaz is “a hard-working father who has for many years treated [his daughter] with love and care.”

The girl ate the lady's bus accident and all the lady wanted to do was turn her into a book. :( At least the lady has many good anuses ahead of her.

I do hope the lady is one day reunited with her daughter.

Was reading this thread because of the bump...uhh...does anyone know what this means?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom