• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS 3 Jap cover revealed!

Lakitu

st5fu
artwork_052.jpg

www.metalgearsolid.org

homer_drool.jpg

hobart

I've always had a.... ahemmmm... "thing" for white cover arts.

I like them both... I don't think anyone is necessarily better than the other.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can you please not say 'Jap'?

Maybe its ok in the middle of a thread, in context - but having it in a title like that just sounds bad to me.

Lakitu

st5fu
mrklaw said:
Can you please not say 'Jap'?

Maybe its ok in the middle of a thread, in context - but having it in a title like that just sounds bad to me.

Wow. Shut up please. PM me and tell me rather than going off-topic.

Templar Wizard said:
hmmmm, its the snake from the cover of substance with a beard and the master is raiden.
homagé or cop out?

Dun dun dun..

The big twist is that Boss is Raiden after a sex change.

u_neek

Maybe Europeans will have a sucky version this time...
Im gonna preorder the NTSC version right now - when is it out?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Very nice. I still like the US cover more, I'm a sucker for color.

Ramirez

I can't believe how sensitive some of you are,he obviously meant nothing but an abbreviation,lmao.Sandy vaginas!

I like the US box better.

Lakitu

st5fu
JackFrost2012 said:
Yeah, for some inexplicable reason we're sensitive to racial slurs!

First of all, don't ever accuse me of being racist. You have no idea what I was intending, so don't offend me, okay? As Ramirez said, I was using it as an abbreviation, as in short for "MGS 3 Japanese cover revealed".

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The US and JPN covers look great...which is a rare thing to happen these days. Especially when both covers are different

VitaBone

Banned
Lakitu said:
First of all, don't ever accuse me of being racist. You have no idea what I was intending, so don't offend me, okay? As Ramirez said, I was using it as an abbreviation, as in short for "MGS 3 Japanese cover revealed".
People that have a problem with JAP or JPN being the abbrev need to get a life.

Keep this thread ontopic since it's about the MGS cover art.

Lakitu said:

I didn't accuse you of being racist, so calm the fuck down. I said that "Jap" is a derogatory racist slur when used as an abbreviation for Japanese people and culture. That statement is true regardless of your ignorance or intent.

I know and believe and assumed from the start you had no ill-will and were just uninformed. Your "intent" was obviously not to offend. That doesn't make the word any less offensive. People are correcting you out of politeness and and an effort not to see you repeat your mistake in the future, not because they think you're a racist. So take a deep breath, calm down, and please consider this new information in the future when looking for a way to abbreviate the names of our Eastern pals, okay.

Also, "don't offend me" is an awfully ironic demand, coming from someone who doesn't see a problem with slinging "Jap" around willy-nilly. :p

Lakitu

st5fu
JackFrost2012 said:
I didn't accuse you of being racist, so calm the fuck down. I said that "Jap" is a derogatory racist slur when used as an abbreviation for Japanese people and culture. That statement is true regardless of your ignorance or intent.

I know and believe and assumed from the start you had no ill-will and were just uninformed. Your "intent" was obviously not to offend. That doesn't make the word any less offensive. People are correcting you out of politeness and and an effort not to see you repeat your mistake in the future, not because they think you're a racist. So take a deep breath, calm down, and please consider this new information in the future when looking for a way to abbreviate the names of our Eastern pals, okay.

Also, "don't offend me" is an awfully ironic demand coming, from someone who doesn't see a problem with slinging "Jap" around willy-nilly. :p

Yes, I was uninformed, since I've never opted to use the word before, I just thought this time I'd abbreviate but I guess it backfired. Sorry for any offense, I really didn't intend it to anyone.

Oh well, back on with the topic.

VitaBone

Banned
Lakitu said:
Yes, I was uninformed, since I've never opted to use the word before, I just thought this time I'd abbreviate but I guess it backfired. Sorry for any offense, I really didn't intend it to anyone.

Don't worry Lak, you'll find GAF to be more PC than PC is. :)

Lakitu said:

No offense taken, so please don't worry about it! Just keep it in mind in the future ;)

That said ... JP > US. But I'm sure Europe will shame us all.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ramirez said:
I can't believe how sensitive some of you are,he obviously meant nothing but an abbreviation,lmao.Sandy vaginas!

I like the US box better.
So do I.

This one just looks like every other MGS cover, just with brown as its main color. It's still pretty good, but I'm not just going to shit my pants because they slapped an arbitrary Shinkawa piece on a white background (again).

The US one is far more creative, far more stylish, and much more striking. The Japanese cover looks like something I've seen a thousand times now. Boring.

bobafett

Come on guys. Can you discuss the etimology of the word JAP in another thread please? This is kind of ridiculous and imature. Get some fresh air and then come back. The thread starter by no means had any intention to offend anyone.

BTW, the japanese cover is wonderful and the american one looks like ass.

Takuan

Neither cover strikes me as particularly special. If anything, I prefer the US cover just for the color scheme.

I know there's some history behind "Jap", but what's wrong with "JPN"?

Top Bottom