• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS: TTS Music Questions

human5892

Queen of Denmark
- Is the music in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes the same as the original MGS? If so, is it comprised of exactly the same music files, or were the songs rescored?

- Is the song at the end of the game (during the last scene and while the credits are rolling, IIRC) licensed, or is it an original created for the game? Either way, who performs it, and is it possible to somehow buy a copy (the soundtrack to the whole game would be ideal, but I'm looking for this song in particular)?

I tried briefly searching both the forum and the Internet and couldn't find what I needed, but I apologize if this is old and/or common knowledge.

"- Is the music in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes the same as the original MGS? If so, is it comprised of exactly the same music files, or were the songs rescored?"

Different composer, different songs. The only song that stayed the same is The Best Is Yet to Come (which answers your 2nd question). Aoife Ni Fhearraigh is the one that sings the song. I'm pretty sure it was made specifically for MGS.

Personally, I really hate TTS's music. The original score on the other hand is still one of the finest game compositions to date.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I don't mind it -- in fact, I actually like many of the compositions -- but I also am not at all familiar with the original's music, having only played it once right around the time it came out.

suikodan

I wanted to die when I heard the lame boss music with Revolver Ocelot crying like a cow.

I loved the PSX's soudntrack, way better than TTS

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I enjoyed both soundtracks very much. The styles are quite different, but they were both excellent in their own rights...

The Mantis theme in TTS is WAY better than what you hear in the original, though. Same goes for the music prior to his battle. Very cool sounding...

Theres some real good ambience and dramatically suitable stuff in game and in cutscenes throughout TTS, but I can see why the purists swear by the original's soundtrack.

I was wandering around looking for my favourite theme aside from the Best is Yet to Come, and I found its still there when you alert guards on the basement floor with all the little rooms (the one you fight ocelot on). You're diluged by genome soliders with riot shields, and its a pretty certain death on higher difficulties if you don't run away, but the music is so freakin awesome!

Solid

I enjoyed both soundtracks too. It'd be boring if it was the same music from MGS1 in TTS. I'm glad they renewed most of the songs. The boss musics are the best. Especially Psycho Mantis and Raven in the tank.

Too bad they never released a soundtrack for TTS :(

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Overall, I enjoyed the original MGS soundtrack more. It just had more industrial-sounding, powerful music. TTS, like MGS2 before it, was too freakin' ambient at times. Still, I did like TTS' music better than MGS2's.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The only music I liked in Twin Snakes was Psycho Mantis's boss fight music, the music during Grey Fox's battle against Metal Gear, and a few of the 'Alert' themes. Other than those, I'd rather have the original tunes

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mejilan said:
Overall, I enjoyed the original MGS soundtrack more. It just had more industrial-sounding, powerful music. TTS, like MGS2 before it, was too freakin' ambient at times. Still, I did like TTS' music better than MGS2's.

???

MGS's original score is much more ambient than either MGS2 or TTS. I'm not sure where you got the idea that they were MORE ambient...

MGS originally used a lot of straight up environmental sounds along with the music and generally didn't try to push forward into the aciton until alert was sounded or something.

MGS2 and TTS have a more electronic soundtrack going on.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
It's funny cause the MGS: TT trailers had some real good stuff. I haven't found most of those songs in the game at all.

(like the song that plays when Snake meets Raven the 2nd time)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Shikamaru Ninja said:
It's funny cause the MGS: TT trailers had some real good stuff. I haven't found most of those songs in the game at all.

(like the song that plays when Snake meets Raven the 2nd time)

The one in the 27 minute video? It's actually in the game, as one of the 'alert' themes

I love that piece too, wished it was used in a cutscene

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
dark10x said:
???

MGS's original score is much more ambient than either MGS2 or TTS. I'm not sure where you got the idea that they were MORE ambient...

MGS originally used a lot of straight up environmental sounds along with the music and generally didn't try to push forward into the aciton until alert was sounded or something.

MGS2 and TTS have a more electronic soundtrack going on.

Comparing the MGS, MGS2 OSTs and a MGS TTS gamerip, I found a significantly larger ratio of "real" music to ambient. MGS2 OST and the TTS gamerip pretty much bore me to tears. But I constantly listen to MGS, even though it has by far a shorter soundtrack.

Top Bottom